Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

Enourmo posted:

What did they forget to account for thermal expansion (or rather contraction) when they designed the bridge that would be sitting in loving canadian winters? Cause it sure looks like the cables overstressed that joint and lifted the span up.

No official word on the cause yet; it's still being investigated. It certainly does have that appearance to it. It would be an incredible oversight if it were just thermal expansion (particularly considering it failed at a thermal expansion joint...), but of course, not impossible. But it seems much more likely that the forces from contraction of the cables were accounted for, and the failure was elsewhere, either from unpredicted loads, or substandard components that became excessively brittle in the cold, or perhaps both.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
https://i.imgur.com/qSN5SFR.gifv

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

With that particular window location I don't see a configuration I'd call optimal, although all others do have the advantage that you can open at least one.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

My Lovely Horse posted:

With that particular window location I don't see a configuration I'd call optimal, although all others do have the advantage that you can open at least one.

Put the hinges in the corner instead of the goddamned handles. :boom:

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Turn the windows around so they open out. But definitely leave the handles as they are, so you have to go outside to open the windows.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Do that with one window so you can open one from the inside, reach around and open the other one.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Do that with one window so you can open one from the inside, reach around and open the other one.

:lol: That is obviously the best solution.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Very secure!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

e: I am an idiot, that was weird.

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

My Lovely Horse posted:

Use shorter handles.

Or move the windows an inch.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
Or use windows that aren't dumb and don't swing inward. Like casement or sliders or double hung.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
This is *amazing*.

If you're unfamiliar with the enormous Mongolian clusterfuck that Seattle's dealing with, trying to dig a tunnel underneath their obsolete and dangerous viaduct, here's a good primer:

http://grist.org/cities/seattles-unbelievable-transportation-megaproject-fustercluck/

We've now entered the part of the project where everyone is suing everyone. Like, the *state department of transportation* is suing the partnership that's actually doing the work. That's the same state department of transportation that left in the ground the well casing that the tunneling machine broke against when it started to dig. The whole project's now ridiculously overbudget, over schedule, and isn't even close to being done.

And now this has happened:

http://www.thestranger.com/blogs/slog/2016/01/13/23418296/a-sinkhole-opened-up-after-bertha-started-digging-again-last-night

quote:

It's only been three weeks since a repaired Bertha started excavating in downtown Seattle again, and the project's already had a problem with a barge drifting away and tipping dirt into Elliott Bay. Workers temporarily halted the tunnel project to sort out the barge issue, but just two hours after they started drilling again last night, a sinkhole opened up just 12 yards from Bertha's rescue pit.

[...]

For every ring tunneled, STP has to remove a certain amount of dirt. Their instrumentation tells them how much dirt is theoretically being removed. In this case, more dirt was leaving the tunnel than the instrumentation reported.

The amount of dirt missing from the sinkhole is the same amount of dirt that made up the difference between what the instrumentation told the engineers and what was actually excavated. Chris Dixon of STP says that this means engineers must "rectify the data."

The coverage in the Stranger of this whole debacle has been remarkable for its prescience, because during the leadup their journalists asked a bunch of "What if?" questions, to which the authorities basically responded by saying "Well, that won't happen, so don't worry about it. Basically every single one of those things has turned out to happen. Which makes the current question, "What if a future sinkhole opens up above Bertha while the drilling machine is underneath the viaduct?" a really good one.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Yeah, up in Victoria we're having the exact same chain of horrible borderline corrupt leadership hiring a garbage company to build the most expensive bridge replacement option that was on the table then having every possible gently caress-up imaginable and cost over-run. It's the same company that built that bridge in Ontario that bent out of shape and snapped.

Can north america even build infrastructure anymore or has the entire process been hijacked to act as a money fire-hose to spray on friends in the construction industry?

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Phanatic posted:

This is *amazing*.

If you're unfamiliar with the enormous Mongolian clusterfuck that Seattle's dealing with, trying to dig a tunnel underneath their obsolete and dangerous viaduct, here's a good primer:

The craziest part of this is the Cascadia earthquake that will most likely happen in the next 100 years that everyone's completely 100% ignoring. If the ground is this unstable now that everything's settling and cracking (and sinkholing) just from the action of boring a tunnel, you can be drat sure the Cascadia earthquake will completely destroy the drat thing. Would you want to drive that tunnel with that possibility looming? Because from the perspective of someone living in California, gently caress all of that.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Potato Alley posted:

The craziest part of this is the Cascadia earthquake that will most likely happen in the next 100 years that everyone's completely 100% ignoring. If the ground is this unstable now that everything's settling and cracking (and sinkholing) just from the action of boring a tunnel, you can be drat sure the Cascadia earthquake will completely destroy the drat thing. Would you want to drive that tunnel with that possibility looming? Because from the perspective of someone living in California, gently caress all of that.

Heh, there's an exhibit in a little free educational-museum thing out on the Oregon coast. It's a cloth map of the PNW coast under tension, which is released when you hit a button. The accompanying explanation is that this is a to-scale representation of how much the coastline is expected to move.

It's not just visible on a map, it's downright horrifying on a map.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Potato Alley posted:

The alternative was turning it all into a normal street, investing in transit, and reforming land-use in the sprawling suburbs that generate and continue to grow the problem. This upsets the status quo (WAR ON CARS?!), so massive tunnel boondoggle under an unstable fill area was the easiest solution.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius
Meanwhile, half a dozen miles away , the multi-billion dollar I-405 widening project which isn't even completed is already over capacity. Which is particularly a problem because the project used federal funds with a condition of a free flowing HOV lane (a condition they cannot be released from and which failing to meet could result in withholding all federal highway funding from Washington). So they converted a general travel lane to a second HOV lane, raised the HOV requirement to the strictest allowed. They decided to spend millions to add toll access too; the tolls will pay for the cost of collecting tolls.

WSDOT is truly a marvel of project management. I am so glad I didn't end up working there.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Y'all have me getting more and more excited by the minute about potentially moving to Seattle in two years.

Heck, if the Cascadia Earthquake hits before I get there, I can probably pick up some primo real estate for pretty cheap.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Zhentar posted:

So they converted a general travel lane to a second HOV lane, raised the HOV requirement to the strictest allowed. They decided to spend millions to add toll access too; the tolls will pay for the cost of collecting tolls.

gently caress the carpool tax.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Crosspostin' some art from the schadenfreude thread
http://imgur.com/gallery/2R9Fz

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

canyoneer posted:

Oh my god, that is so perfect. *boop*

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

canyoneer posted:

That's some good art.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib

canyoneer posted:

Looks fake. I see no such button on the roller product images which means its after-market. With the light seeming to shine through the top of the yellow part of the button it look like it is plastic which would be destroyed if it hit a steel post at that angle.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Neutrino posted:

Looks fake. I see no such button on the roller product images which means its after-market. With the light seeming to shine through the top of the yellow part of the button it look like it is plastic which would be destroyed if it hit a steel post at that angle.

It's an articulated roller, the operator was probably trying to curve around the pole and compact right up around it, turned the wheel at the wrong time which straightened out the roller and made the button faceplant right into the post, likely at fairly low speed so the button didn't get smashed.

Neutrino
Mar 8, 2006

Fallen Rib
Low speed or high speed would destroy anything plastic. Its pretty obvious from the picture that it wasn't articulating when it approached the pole. Still call fake - never saw an emergency shutoff like that on any construction equipment. About 90% of the pictures shown on Imgur are staged or have descriptions that are fake.

Neutrino fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jan 15, 2016

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yeah, unfortunately, it probably is. Can't find any such button on any picture of the ammann av 70 x, which is what that is.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Obvious trap. The soap dish is connected to the mains.

Gegil
Jun 22, 2012

Smoke'em if you Got'em

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

canyoneer posted:

Hey it's a die wash

We have an eye wash station that drains directly onto the floor of the shop. There is a floor drain within about six feet. However, there is also a floor-mounted electrical box within about four feet.

Remember to wear shoes with thick soles!

e: I've also seen a safety shower with no drain at all but apparently that's legal?

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

Zhentar posted:

Meanwhile, half a dozen miles away , the multi-billion dollar I-405 widening project which isn't even completed is already over capacity. Which is particularly a problem because the project used federal funds with a condition of a free flowing HOV lane (a condition they cannot be released from and which failing to meet could result in withholding all federal highway funding from Washington). So they converted a general travel lane to a second HOV lane, raised the HOV requirement to the strictest allowed. They decided to spend millions to add toll access too; the tolls will pay for the cost of collecting tolls.

WSDOT is truly a marvel of project management. I am so glad I didn't end up working there.

The best part of this? ~80% of the toll revenue is going to the company that runs the toll monitoring gear. That company is also based in Texas.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Sagebrush posted:

We have an eye wash station that drains directly onto the floor of the shop. There is a floor drain within about six feet. However, there is also a floor-mounted electrical box within about four feet.

This is likely not issue. This isnt against code, as far as I'm aware. Clean water isn't especially conductive, which is why no one worries about getting electrocuted when indoor fire sprinklers go off and get water everywhere (including electrical outlets). If a short does occur, the path of least resistance is within the (grounded) box itself.

Sagebrush posted:

Remember to wear shoes with thick soles!

e: I've also seen a safety shower with no drain at all but apparently that's legal?

Yeah, this is completely fine. In most situations you are either using it in an emergency, so having to mop up after isn't a big deal.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Huh, interesting. So the eye wash station right in front of an outlet is also likely to be within code, despite all appearances?

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Sagebrush posted:

Huh, interesting. So the eye wash station right in front of an outlet is also likely to be within code, despite all appearances?

If it were a sink, that outlet would have to be GFCI, but since it's emergency eyewash, then probably the electrical inspector would walk up to that and say "guys, really? Move that about two feet thataway."

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Looks like the cut one is structural, but I don't know it it would be more or less hilarious if it was fluid-carrying.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

:dogbutton:

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
At work some contractors built a set of metal handrails for a short staircase out of steel tube maybe 2 or 3 inches in diameter. You know how they usually terminate in a rounded end or a set of obtuse angles?
This one terminated in a welded angle of about 30 degrees. It was a crotch-height end of staircase spear.

EvilMayo
Dec 25, 2010

"You'll poke your anus out." - George Dubya Bush
not super crappy. But sketchy as hell.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

Delivery McGee posted:

Looks like the cut one is structural, but I don't know it it would be more or less hilarious if it was fluid-carrying.

Why not both?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

I like how care was taken to grind an inch of paint off around the cut, as if they intend to weld a patch back onto it around the pipe.