Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

No emptyquotes here!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

I know that this has become a pretty common way of framing the depravity of American foreign policy, but it's massively unfair to the actual drone pilots. Those guys aren't evil; they are fully aware of the moral implications of what they do. They know that they are killing people and that many of them don't deserve it. Then they have to go home and have dinner with their families like it was a normal day in the office. It fucks them up, and while it's obviously preferable to getting blown up by a drone, and probably preferable to a standard deployment, they didn't write the god drat policy. They are just some stiffs who joined the military out of high school and ended up with this job because some test showed they had a proficiency for it.

http://www.salon.com/2015/03/06/a_chilling_new_post_traumatic_stress_disorder_why_drone_pilots_are_quitting_in_record_numbers_partner/

Even if you want to say "just following orders" isn't a good moral defense, which is a very fair argument, it's disingenuous to act like these guys are treating it like it's some fun video game.

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jan 15, 2016

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Mellow Seas posted:

I know that this has become a pretty common way of framing the depravity of American foreign policy, but it's massively unfair to the actual drone pilots. Those guys aren't evil; they are fully aware of the moral implications of what they do. They know that they are killing people and that many of them don't deserve it. Then they have to go home and have dinner with their families like it was a normal day in the office. It fucks them up, and while it's obviously preferable to getting blown up by a drone, and probably preferable to a standard deployment, they didn't write the god drat policy. They are just some stiffs who joined the military out of high school and ended up with this job because some test showed they had a proficiency for it.

http://www.salon.com/2015/03/06/a_chilling_new_post_traumatic_stress_disorder_why_drone_pilots_are_quitting_in_record_numbers_partner/

Even if you want to say "just following orders" isn't a good moral defense, which is a very fair argument, it's disingenuous to act like these guys are treating it like it's some fun video game.

I'm so mad at the unfair way murderers are portrayed.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Bass Bottles posted:

Also, missed opportunity not making Rubio one of the ears.

I actually think it's a nice touch that he ordered the GOP candidates from most centrist to most conservative, with Kasich on the elephant's left side and Trump on its far right side

(same with the donkey -- note that Bernie is on its left and Hillary is on its right)

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

:golfclap:

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Starshark posted:

I'm so mad at the unfair way murderers are portrayed.

Sure, just ignore every nuance and caveat I put in my post about this complicated issue and make a pithy response to show you're a true hero champion of Team Left.

Do you think all troops are murderers? Even the ones that don't kill people simply haven't because nobody asked them to. If they were asked, they would be required to, and they would.

e: the whole post

vvvv that was the original post, which I stand by but thought it could be more eloquent

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jan 15, 2016

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Mellow Seas posted:

Oh, go gently caress yourself. Do you think all of TEH TROOPS are murderers or just the ones you can make Doritos jokes about?

e: I even said that even if you do consider them murderers, they are not loving cavalier about it. Seriously, with a cactus, bro.

I know, right? Sure they kill people for no reason but they're not loving cavalier about it.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

Starshark posted:

I know, right? Sure they kill people for no reason but they're not loving cavalier about it.

Yeah gently caress soldiers following orders. They're killers and not just cogs in a machine they have no control over.

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

He may have a funny face, but he's THE BEST KONG
I have naught but the deepest sympathy for the unfortunate draftees who must man the drone stations under pain of death. Surely nobody would volunteer for such butchery.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)
LF is back! :getin:

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

ThePeavstenator posted:

Yeah gently caress soldiers following orders. They're killers and not just cogs in a machine they have no control over.

Support are troops, right?

Mellow Seas
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm not the one trying to make a subject that has been viewed as morally complex throughout all of human history into a binary where I'm basically best buddies with Hitler, now. I didn't say I love drone pilots, and I didn't say that they're heroes, or even that they're necessarily blameless. If you read my actual post, in either iteration. I'm just, you know, not being a leftist reactionary shithead acting like other suffering human beings are having the time of their lives because of a political disagreement.

You should probably get a smugger avatar because I think somehow Turnbull isn't quite enough.

Mellow Seas fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Jan 16, 2016

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

I'm not a zealous supporter of troops but I'm going to blame people in power before I blame the guy at the bottom of the totem pole. You gonna bitch out a Wal-Mart cashier for not being cherry enough and making Wal-Mart suck or are you going to place the blame on corporate for creating a lovely work environment with low pay?

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

ThePeavstenator posted:

I'm not a zealous supporter of troops but I'm going to blame people in power before I blame the guy at the bottom of the totem pole. You gonna bitch out a Wal-Mart cashier for not being cherry enough and making Wal-Mart suck or are you going to place the blame on corporate for creating a lovely work environment with low pay?

I don't know - is the cashier killing anyone?

Mellow Seas posted:

I'm not the one trying to make a subject that has been viewed as morally complex throughout all of human history into a binary where I'm basically best buddies with Hitler, now. I didn't say I love drone pilots, and I didn't say that they're heroes, or even that they're necessarily blameless. If you read my actual post, in either iteration. I'm just, you know, not being a leftist reactionary shithead acting like other suffering human beings are having the time of their lives because of a political disagreement.

You should probably get a smugger avatar because I think somehow Turnbull isn't quite enough.

God help us if we act like leftist reactionary shitheads, that's just the worst. I'm trying to be nuanced here. You know where you can usually find the truth, right?

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

I suppose that depends on how far along the Walmart cashier is on their monthly "Weddings Blown Up" quota. An interesting moral dilemma, thank you forums poster ThePeavstenator.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Starshark posted:

By this logic any soldier that ever participated in combat is a murderer

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

Like maybe the issue at hand here isn't that drone pilots exist it's that we have a bad policy on remote, imprecise drone strikes based on iffy intel.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

ThePeavstenator posted:

By this logic any soldier that ever participated in combat is a murderer

Don't play this game please.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Starshark posted:

Sure, by participating in the Wal-Mart system they're allowing Wal-Mart to continue functioning as an entity and muscle other businesses out of the area and treat their employees like slaves. I'm sure this at the very least has some negative health effects on those people. If every cashier just didn't do their job Wal-Mart wouldn't be able to expand so rapidly at the very least.

I mean this is retarded logic that focuses on hating the most visible face of the problem rather than the people actually making choices that have power in the system, but it's pretty well the same as yours here.

Like, you're doing the equivalent of shouting "gently caress YOU" at a telemarketer

dijon du jour
Mar 27, 2013

I'm shy

Dazzling Addar posted:

I have naught but the deepest sympathy for the unfortunate draftees who must man the drone stations under pain of death. Surely nobody would volunteer for such butchery.

Right, they're not required to be there, which is why a whole lot of them quit with PTSD-like symptoms after the horror of what they're doing gets to them.

dijon du jour fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jan 16, 2016

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Sure, by participating in the Wal-Mart system they're allowing Wal-Mart to continue functioning as an entity and muscle other businesses out of the area and treat their employees like slaves. I'm sure this at the very least has some negative health effects on those people. If every cashier just didn't do their job Wal-Mart wouldn't be able to expand so rapidly at the very least.

I mean this is retarded logic that focuses on hating the most visible face of the problem rather than the people actually making choices that have power in the system, but it's pretty well the same as yours here.

Like, you're doing the equivalent of shouting "gently caress YOU" at a telemarketer

I think the game changes when death is involved. When it comes to deciding whether or not to kill someone, especially if that killing serves no other purpose other than the projection of US power, you have a choice a bit different to the one that faces someone deciding whether to be a telemarketer or not.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
This is why LF was closed

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Mellow Seas posted:

Well poo poo, if I can't view people in simplistic, ego-massaging us v. Them moral binaries, how am I supposed to feel self-righteously superior that I never made the choices that I never had to make in my life situation?

Dazzling Addar
Mar 27, 2010

How awful! Whoever impressed them into such ghastly service should be held to account for their actions.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Starshark posted:

I think the game changes when death is involved. When it comes to deciding whether or not to kill someone, especially if that killing serves no other purpose other than the projection of US power, you have a choice a bit different to the one that faces someone deciding whether to be a telemarketer or not.

I would again argue that groups like walmart represent a real and harmful damage to a community that has at the very least really hosed up a lot of perfectly innocent people, so yea again if literally every soldier is a gleeful murderer then every cashier is chuckling to themselves about the local farmer's market shutting down or whatever.

If you want to take the literal easiest, least effort required, form of anger possible rock on, but I guess have fun yelling at a dude who, going by some of the latest studies, probably agrees he should kill himself because of the US' violent imperialism.

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

Dazzling Addar posted:

How awful! Whoever impressed them into such ghastly service should be held to account for their actions.

Doubtless most of them are there voluntarily, but unethical recruiting practices have been a repeated problem for the military.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Dazzling Addar posted:

lol if you don't think a huge number of soldiers are manipulated into joining. That's just precious. :allears:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Who What Now posted:

lol if you don't think a huge number of soldiers are manipulated into joining. That's just precious. :allears:

Uh did the guy who went to your high school and mainly talked to the kids on free lunch programs and poo poo about the military NOT say 'look yea you could well be killing people, you could be killing people miles away that you never even see but only later hear are completely innocent civilians, if you have a problem with that when it comes maybe you can see a shrink that'll tell you to buck up until you get home and, hey maybe then you can get some actual help, or kill yourself, either way really you're not our issue'?

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...

I love that political cartoons portray abortionists as roving gangs of baby killers. They are really going out there and hunting fetuses down.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Dazzling Addar posted:

The military recruits tons of people by manipulating them with propaganda when they are young adults. Those people aren't faultless but pretending everyone that joins the military wants to just mindlessly kill people for the sake of it doesn't help. You should draw more issue with the policies that put these kind of programs in place and the people that are intentionally trying to get high school students to jump into the military by misleading them.

Tengames
Oct 29, 2008

Dazzling Addar posted:

I suppose that depends on how far along the Walmart cashier is on their monthly "Weddings Blown Up" quota. An interesting moral dilemma, thank you forums poster ThePeavstenator.
So do you just assume every drone operator is a supervillian operating a moon laser or are you just trying to fill out your "passive aggressiveness" quota for the week?

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
Yeah, military recruiting is quite misleading. They always talk about camaraderie and bettering yourself and how it's very unlikely you'll ever actually be deployed... yeah right.

Turtle Sandbox
Dec 31, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Keiya posted:

Yeah, military recruiting is quite misleading. They always talk about camaraderie and bettering yourself and how it's very unlikely you'll ever actually be deployed... yeah right.

I knew alot of people who joined after 9/11 to fight the terrorists, but we were all on a submarine fighting the cold war still, so in this case the terrorist won.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
"Perhaps we should look at this situation with nuance, it is very complex after all."

"Shut up loving fascist pig!"

Exactly the high level of discourse I expect around here, keep up the good work! :jerkbag:

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
Drones are a thing where the theory and the reality don't line up. In theory, you should be able to blow up the bad guys from a distance, no boots on the ground, and civillans are spared. In pratice, that doesn't happen, and a lot of innocent people get killed.Drone policy needs to be re-thought to be more ethical and save lives, but thiking that drone pilots run to their desks every morning going "wooo! yeah! Time to kill me some a-rabs, boys!" is silly.

America has gotten too dependant on drones, they need to make sure surgical strikes are, well, surgical, not "hm, the terrorist is here, I'm sure we can miss the wedding party if we're careful" strikes.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Starshark posted:

Get off your high horse Todd Roll.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

OldMemes posted:

America has gotten too dependant on drones, they need to make sure surgical strikes are, well, surgical, not "hm, the terrorist is here, I'm sure we can miss the wedding party if we're careful" strikes.

So we should spend a poo poo-load of money to improve our modern weaponry in order to make drone strikes really precise? I like the sound of this.

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

A real leader would have made those sailor fight to the death for no reason! :smug:

• Locked thread