Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I can put up with a lot of weird and silly stuff from Victory, but the Einrad really is hilariously out of place and stupid even for Gundam. I think the funniest moment was when one more or less rapidly hula hooping around the V2 really really fast and this was treated as a seriously dangerous moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Droyer posted:

Please don't do this. I agree that g-reco is good but going "if you disagree with me you have bad taste" just leads to arguments.

You're right, of course.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I enjoyed the characters of G-Reco. For the most part people had a starting point of "okay" to "happy," so I didn't get the bipolar jerking around I felt Zeta dragged me through.

G-Reco isn't my favorite Gundam at all, but I still liked it. Honestly, I'm more impressed someone managed to get halfway through a series that they hated the cast of.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Reds posted:

If Zeon was in charge, other than Gihren's loving master race plan to the point where his own dictator father compared him to Hitler, I can't see much changing.

That's a pretty loving big change, dude

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Woah theres a lot of new posts, things must be getting heated about people not understanding how zeon is 'cool' like the empire is 'cool'

Oh no a guy complained about greco. I see.

Caros
May 14, 2008

DamnGlitch posted:

Woah theres a lot of new posts, things must be getting heated about people not understanding how zeon is 'cool' like the empire is 'cool'

Oh no a guy complained about greco. I see.

Why on earth would anyone complain about this amazing gunpla fighter?

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

He's a JOBBER

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The only good Jobber is Job John. :colbert:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Caros posted:

Why on earth would anyone complain about this amazing gunpla fighter?
People who hate the Tallgeese? :shrug:

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

AradoBalanga posted:

Criminals

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

AradoBalanga posted:

Ban them

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The best thing about Greco was how angry people got when Nils wrecked his face.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

AradoBalanga posted:

He's got a really ugly Tallgeese recolour, though.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

There is no such thing.

For suck sake, how many times has Shakti gave herself up to Zanscare now? what, four times? I'm losing count. I don't think you are learning things Shakti.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

SeanBeansShako posted:

There is no such thing.

For suck sake, how many times has Shakti gave herself up to Zanscare now? what, four times? I'm losing count. I don't think you are learning things Shakti.

Something worth noting about Shakti: She's 11

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Droyer posted:

Something worth noting about Shakti: She's 11

By eleven most children learn that touching the stove is hot so you shouldn't touch it. And it is pretty clear the plan to try and convince them with good will and living on hope hasn't worked the last three drat times.

Also, I am so so tired of this trope showing up in the grueling final five episode stretch. Let the stupid adults kill each other off already. Victory Gundam towards the end is so depressingly draining. Tomino clearly wasn't a happy man in in the early nineties.

SeanBeansShako fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Jan 16, 2016

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

SeanBeansShako posted:

Tomino clearly wasn't a happy man in in the early nineties.
To wit, around 1993 Tomino was dealing with:

--Depression yet again (IIRC, his worst bout with it)
--A bad breakup with his wife
--His daughter running away from home (the same daughter who would later help coordinate G-Reco's eyecatch dances)

The fact that he managed to make Victory Gundam under all these personal stresses is a goddamn miracle in of itself. But yes, Tomino's anger at things really comes out in Victory more than anywhere else.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

And on top of all that, being preassured to make this Gundam sell a shitload of toys and model kits.

Glad he mostly recovered.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

SeanBeansShako posted:

And on top of all that, being preassured to make this Gundam sell a shitload of toys and model kits.

Glad he mostly recovered.

Everyone always talks about how Tomino hates the toys and model kits, but is there actually any proof of that? I've never seen anyone actually give a source for it.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Every series made since Zeta Gundam has people complaining about how something in the show is "so un-Gundamlike" it amazes me

I suppose everyone has a different concept of what Gundam "is" and when a production's nature conflicts with this it causes them some amount of displeasure

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I'm willing to work with anything but giant loving space tyres.

Gundam monobikes? sure.

A Battlespaceship with wheels? fine, okay. Our pilots all under the age of eighteen years old being super space psychic aces. Alright. A man pretending a pair of sunglasses and a silly name is the best disguise gently caress yeah. THE EAST IS BURNING RED being a pretty bad rear end phrase yeah sure.

But the giant dumb tyres themselves being a threat outside the Gundam itself no sorry.

SeanBeansShako fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jan 16, 2016

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

SeanBeansShako posted:

I'm willing to work with anything but giant loving space tyres.

Gundam monobikes? sure.

A Battlespaceship with wheels? fine, okay. Our pilots all under the age of eighteen years old being super space psychic aces. Alright. A man pretending a pair of sunglasses and a silly name is the best disguise gently caress yeah. THE EAST IS BURNING RED being a pretty bad rear end phrase yeah sure.

But the giant dumb tyres themselves being a threat outside the Gundam itself no sorry.

They're so goddamn effective, though.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
just imagine it as the cover of a 1960s scifi novel

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

boom boom boom posted:

They're so goddamn effective, though.

Clearly the Big Zam should have been a giant tyre on legs.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

muike posted:

I suppose everyone has a different concept of what Gundam "is" and when a production's nature conflicts with this it causes them some amount of displeasure

So long as it has a main robot that is white and has a V-fin of some kind (including moustache) and a rival with a mask (sunglasses accepted) it's Gundam enough for me. Other Gundam-like things include: teenager protagonist, randomly falling into the cockpit, ridiculous psychic powers, Gundams being stolen, psychic girl with a connection with the protagonist that meets a terrible end, the rival having a red and/or gold robot, and the complete subversion of the Real Robot genre with sudden out of nowhere magical super powers.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Bikini commando squad. Bikini commando squad?!

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

SeanBeansShako posted:

Bikini commando squad. Bikini commando squad?!

Even in the show, people acknowledge that it was a bad idea.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

boom boom boom posted:

Even in the show, people acknowledge that it was a bad idea.

The only person in the entire show who thinks the bikini commando squad is a good idea is Katejina, and unfortunately for all involved Katejina was both insane and in a position of authority at the time.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

That might have been the most needlessly hateful thing I have ever seen on Gundam. Like, Uso didn't really need to kill the last one but he did it?

Whatever. Two more episodes to go.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
To be in a position of authority for Zanscare you have to be insane, so it works... in the horrifying catastrophe sort of way

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!

ImpAtom posted:

The best thing about Greco was how angry people got when Nils wrecked his face.

Nils is a filthy goddamn cheater, that's why.

Funnily enough, Nils fails to ever really look like a good pilot outside of cheating via plavsky magic because his Gundam was a pain to animate, so he barely moves.

The whole plavsky manipulation stuff tends to come off as more engine exploits thanks to its extremely poorly defined nature. Overall as a result Nils is presented as a mediocre pilot who has abused the system to make himself as invincible as possible instead of fighting clean or clever.

Of course, you aren't meant to think that. After Try it's kind of hard to not hate the whole concept. It's like if people were playing e-sports with console commands and glitch exploiting.

Reds fucked around with this message at 06:36 on Jan 16, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Reds posted:

Nils is a filthy goddamn cheater, that's why.

I'm very curious to hear how Nils cheats.

"A character figures out how to make plavsky particles do what he wants" is literally how every single fighter in the setting functions and Sei's big realization was that not being constrained by the limits of Gundam settings is the way to go. The idea that it's cheating to make up your own abilities and gimmicks is silly.

Reds posted:

The whole plavsky manipulation stuff tends to come off as more engine exploits thanks to its extremely poorly defined nature. .

No it doesn't. It's literally how everything works. They are not using GN Drives and beam sabers. They are using plavsky particles to mimic those things. That is why the base power levels of the robots don't really matter and a Jegan can kill Devil Gundam. The entire point of the game is ~imagination~ can allow you to do whatever you put your mind to. And it isn't like Nils is hacking the console to shut his opponent's robot down. He just uses kung-fu to make their robots explode. Would it still be cheating if he used a G Gundam robot to do it?

Reds posted:

Of course, you aren't meant to think that. After Try it's kind of hard to not hate the whole concept. It's like if people were playing e-sports with console commands and glitch exploiting.

You mean like they do all the time? Most if not all esports are built on the backs of unexpected mechanics or even straight glitches that were eventually adopted and became regular. Combos in fighting games literally began as a glitch.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Jan 16, 2016

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Oh wow, the loss of the Reinforce is actually kind of moving.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!
The actual reason is because the Tallgeese is cooler. The rest is just window dressing.

ImpAtom posted:

I'm very curious to hear how Nils cheats.

He channels the particle that powers the game in order to make things explode when he touches them. The only way to defeat him was to put superglue over the Build Strike's fist so he couldn't touch the plastic. How is that a fair fight?

The rest is a big dumb argument over whether or not plavsky manipulation is fair or not that doesn't really go anywhere so I'll drop the point because I'm being petty. I find it more interesting if they're mixing and matching stuff from existing Gundam series instead of inventing new superpowers that weren't programmed into the game.

It got way out of control in Try though. Like most things.

Reds fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Jan 16, 2016

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

SeanBeansShako posted:

Oh wow, the loss of the Reinforce is actually kind of moving.
MELTING INTO IMAGE OOOH
GALAXY WITH YOU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INA1j4S9wSU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Also, a fantastic song.

Logicblade posted:

To be in a position of authority for Zanscare you have to be insane, so it works... in the horrifying catastrophe sort of way

You don't need a Char to undermine the bad guys in this, most of them are happy to undermine themselves.

Last episode. Lets FINISH THIS!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Reds posted:

He channels the particle that powers the game in order to make things explode when he touches them. The only way to defeat him was to put superglue over the Build Strike's fist so he couldn't touch the plastic. How is that a fair fight?

Exactly the same way every other fight in the show is a fair fight? Someone having a good gimmick doesn't mean it is unfair. The Renato Brothers are not cheating because the came up with a clever gimmick to blow up their opponents without a straight fight. The Meijin isn't cheating if he snipes a dude from too far away for them to even realize he was there. Mao isn't cheating by figuring out a way to gimmick around the Satellite Cannon's restrictions. Reiji and Sei aren't cheating because they figured out how to power up their robot.

Literally the entire point of Gunpla Battles is to outgimmick and outthink your opponent. Sometimes that even involves remember they are plastic models and taking advantage of that. (That's part of what made BF better than Try is they remembered they were piloting toys and not virtual robots.)

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jan 16, 2016

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Well, I guess I can't make anymore dumb Odelay jokes now :smith:.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SeanBeansShako posted:

Well, I guess I can't make anymore dumb Odelay jokes now :smith:.

Make Chronicle jokes instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Welp, I finished Victory Gundam. Which is an interesting name for it, as at the end of some of the more darker episodes as well as the series you don't have the feelings associated with Victory.

Just the feelings you get from surviving something draining, depressing and slightly sad. Actually, kind of a good name for it due to the events. It isn't a bad Gundam when things go right for it, just a shame there is so much needless death. So many characters too, I'd love to get to know them but they get killed off before proper growth happens. Still, the ending isn't a bad one. For all the poo poo Uso puts up with he finally gets to hopefully live out his life peacefully and never fly a Gundam ever again.

I'm going to lie down now. Tommorow, I might try F91. Looking forward to getting around to Turn A.