Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Effectronica posted:

I like how the carpet pattern makes her look like she's wearing a transparent skirt.

I forgot about that, but that's a deleted scene.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
e: double post?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Wait, is Jimmy Smitts character a sexbot?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Hollismason posted:

Wait, is Jimmy Smitts character a sexbot?

Only in my fanfiction, unfortunately.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Also speaking of Star Wars fuckdolls:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ZS13ZZIef0

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Was C3PO a sex bot?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
I'm curious if the Jedi temple he's at will be done as a space version of the actual monastery they filmed his reveal or what.

https://churchpop.com/2016/01/08/christian-monastery-star-wars-the-force-awakens/

I'm hoping they roll with this since it's a cool location and it's actually kind of close to how ruined Sith/Jedi hangouts look in the Tales of the Jedi comics and in some of the novels and stuff.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Hollismason posted:

Was C3PO a sex bot?

You tell me:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Hollismason posted:

Was C3PO a sex bot?

He's fluent in a language all species speak.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

HA! I knew it.

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Hollismason posted:

Was C3PO a sex bot?

Human-cyborg relations?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Jerkface posted:

Luke abandoned the galaxy after failing at resurrecting the republic style jedi with a formal academy. He succeeded his goal when he was a simple wandering ronin/mystic who simply fought against the tyranny of the empire. Anakin obviously failed, but he failed because of the old jedi system. We saw how the correct jedi way would have succeeded by being shown what the republic era jedi resulted in vader, the jedi being destroyed, and evik triumphing

The closest thing the Star Wars movies have to a "correct" Jedi is Luke, and Luke turned away from the galaxy.

Maz may want to return to "the ideal universe where the jedi are simply 'good,'" but Luke doesn't seem to agree with her.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Filthy Casual posted:

Twileks seem like they would have a lot of neck problems. Unless those head-tail things are hollow that poo poo would weigh a ton.

*pushes glasses up nose* the lekku are used in Twi'lek physiology to store water, a logical evolution in their desert homeworld of Rhyloth as well as providing a counterbalancing weight to lend them natural grace as dancers and acrobats

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Schwarzwald posted:

The closest thing the Star Wars movies have to a "correct" Jedi is Luke, and Luke turned away from the galaxy.

Maz may want to return to "the ideal universe where the jedi are simply 'good,'" but Luke doesn't seem to agree with her.

i think you will see, by episode 9, Luke returning the Jedi to Maz's ideal, through Rey/Finn/Poe/Leia. We are not shown Luke's jedi academy failing to succeed because we already saw it in the PT. The PT is the failure of the established jedi order. The OT is the return of the Jedi. The NT will be the rise of the true jedi as a galactic force (not in an organized bureaucratic sense but in that they will be a force for good against the dark in the open again). Luke had no way of knowing about the PT Jedi's real system, and OBi/Yoda were probably not smart enough to really look back on their failures with any kind of honesty. It took him following in those same steps and failing to understand what the true nature of bringing the jedi back will mean. And of course it would be stupid if Luke had already accomplished all this by Ep7, so that is why we have the NT to show us. JJ & Co appropriately included a failure echoing the PT in the pre-lore of episode 7 so we can continue to compare and contrast between all 3 trilogies.

Remember that while he went into hiding (and I regret using the same term 'abandoned' that was used in the post I replied to), he went into hiding to study the roots & origin of the Jedi. He is getting back to what made the jedi great. He is going to build a wall, and the first order is gonna pay for it.

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jan 16, 2016

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Jerkface posted:

i think you will see, by episode 9, Luke returning the Jedi to Maz's ideal, through Rey/Finn/Poe/Leia.

I think you may be right, but I really hope not. Wanting the "good Jedi" to come back in be in charge seems to be a cowardly way of handing off responsibility to someone else. Instead of trying to make things better yourself, just wait patiently for the "good Jedi" to come fix everything for you!

In this sense, I think I understand what Supermechagodzilla meant by Maz being in favor of feudalism/monarchism.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

Schwarzwald posted:

I think you may be right, but I really hope not. Wanting the "good Jedi" to come back in be in charge seems to be a cowardly way of handing off responsibility to someone else. Instead of trying to make things better yourself, just wait patiently for the "good Jedi" to come fix everything for you!

In this sense, I think I understand what Supermechagodzilla meant by Maz being in favor of feudalism/monarchism.

Its not handing off responsibility, its showing the galaxy that everyone can be a hero. In the NT everyone has the force & can face the darkness. Maz: "I'm no Jedi, but I know the force." Maz: "The only fight that matters. The light vs the dark. We must fight, all of us."
The NT Jedi are not the exclusive club of the PT, its open to everyone, which means simply that everyone in the galaxy who can commune with the force, including droids, can fight evil and be the hero.

The star wars stories are ultimately about the Jedi, thats unavoidable, its the topic that George himself focused on in all 6 films he created, and was always part of his treatments for post OT films. It would be pretty lame, after all of this, for the answer to be 'actually there should be no jedi', after Lucas redeemed them in ROTJ through Luke & Anakin's sacrifice. What we will get instead is a return to the egalitarian mindset of old sci-fi, where there will be Jedi, but they will no longer have sole possession of the force and its destinies.

quote:

"There was a particular part of a scene that never made it, where they go underneath the castle and they’re going into the underground passageways, and stormtroopers are coming down the stairs and Maz uses her powers to collapse the ceiling. From my point of view, [that] worked absolutely brilliantly because you had all the main actors running up and then Maz does her bit and then the whole ceiling collapses in front of them, but that never made it. That was a shot I was quite proud of, actually, it worked really, really well."

This is from the VFX designer on TFA. Maz, not a jedi, uses the force to block the path of some stormtroopers in a deleted scene. Hope we get it on the Blu-ray as it backs me up on my point about the NT's treatment of the force/jedi

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jan 16, 2016

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Jerkface posted:

i think you will see, by episode 9, Luke returning the Jedi to Maz's ideal, through Rey/Finn/Poe/Leia. We are not shown Luke's jedi academy failing to succeed because we already saw it in the PT. The PT is the failure of the established jedi order. The OT is the return of the Jedi. The NT will be the rise of the true jedi as a galactic force (not in an organized bureaucratic sense but in that they will be a force for good against the dark in the open again). Luke had no way of knowing about the PT Jedi's real system, and OBi/Yoda were probably not smart enough to really look back on their failures with any kind of honesty. It took him following in those same steps and failing to understand what the true nature of bringing the jedi back will mean. And of course it would be stupid if Luke had already accomplished all this by Ep7, so that is why we have the NT to show us. JJ & Co appropriately included a failure echoing the PT in the pre-lore of episode 7 so we can continue to compare and contrast between all 3 trilogies.

Remember that while he went into hiding (and I regret using the same term 'abandoned' that was used in the post I replied to), he went into hiding to study the roots & origin of the Jedi. He is getting back to what made the jedi great. He is going to build a wall, and the first order is gonna pay for it.

I hope you're right, and it's not all just a plot device to make the old characters irrelevant so the new ones can shine. I really liked all the new characters, but I want the old ones to matter as well, to a point beyond the obvious "dying to motivate the new characters." The old conception of 7, 8, and 9 that George Lucas used to talk about involved Luke's journey continuing on, and while I think it makes sense to introduce new protagonists, I hope that we still get to see Luke and Leia as co-protagonists as well, who contribute significantly toward the restoration of the Jedi and bringing peace and justice to the galaxy, as was sort of laid out by the original trilogy. The fact that they're washed up failures in TFA is fine as a setback to enable a new trilogy to happen, but I think it'd be a shame if that was the end for these characters.

Beeez fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jan 16, 2016

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Corek posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxy-k7CZYKc

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Mace Windu was the leader and the most dogmatic member of the Jedi Order, whose dogmatism was its downfall. Everything he does ends up being the opposite of something Luke did, making him the Goofus to Luke's Gallant. (Gallant, out of compassion, offers mercy to a defeated enemy; Goofus, out of fear, tries to execute him. To rescue his imprisoned friend, Gallant tries to negotiate, then instigates a slave uprising; Goofus shows up with a whole army of slaves as backup and starts cutting heads off.)

If Luke ended up duplicating the Jedi Order, it was because he never witnessed its malfeasance and thus never learned to avoid it. That failure of understanding is what necessitates his pilgrimage to the first temple. The destination of that pilgrimage, plus Maz's millennium-long perspective, the First Order's insecure imitation of the Empire and Kylo Ren's of Darth Vader, the repeated references to Leia's obsolete title, and the fact that Harrison Ford played a major character in this movie, means the whole thing is consciously about a preoccupation with the past. But nostalgia is inadequate; the Republic's prosperity and stability was harmful, the Rebellion's exhilaration was fleeting, and the Resistance's recreation of the past disguises and obscures the reality of their situation.

The First Order are filling a power vacuum opened by the diminution of the Empire and the weariness of the Republic. It's implied that they acquired all their resources the same way they got their manpower: plundering undefended planets. They are all young, and they've all been taught to hold in awe the strength and authority and general techno-fascist aesthetic of the Empire's glory days. Snoke has captured their energy and is using it to his own ends, which are still unknown. The Resistance fell for their phony "exactly the same as the Empire" act and slid right back into fighting the same kind of guerrilla war that all its leaders grew up fighting, because it's easier to think about killin' nazis than it is about fixing a galaxy that's been eroded by fifty years of Star War.

Bongo Bill fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Jan 16, 2016

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Jerkface posted:

The NT Jedi are not the exclusive club of the PT, its open to everyone, which means simply that everyone in the galaxy who can commune with the force, including droids, can fight evil and be the hero.
The idea of the Jedi including more than just the people who can use the Force is actually a pretty cool idea, and not one that I've seen before, even in the old EU which pretty much did every possible permutation of the Jedi it could. It fits with things like Finn fighting with a lightsaber despite not being (as far as we know) Force-sensitive, or the "Church of the Force" concept that's in Max von Sydow's character's backstory.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Maxwell Lord posted:

How is it feudalist or monarchist? People being called "Princess" isn't enough- feudalism is a specific structure by which lands are distributed. If anything the Empire was closer to a feudal system- the "Regional Governors" effectively being equivalent to nobles with direct control over their holdings while pledging allegiance to a central ruler.

You've got a lady in a lake with a sword.
Also what system do you think knights come from?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Corek posted:

this channel is insane.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
We're getting into the 'bigger picture' of why Maz is the worst character in Star Wars (in a way that's related to Hux, the second-worst character).

Maz should clarify the terms of the conflict in the same way that the prequels depict the Seperatists as a bunch of losers and misfits who (for various reasons) end up falling into libertarianism. With Maz, we have the castle and the associated yearning for 'the good old days'. In saying the Sith, Empire and New Order are all the same, isn't the flipside a belief that the Jedi, Rebels and Resistance are all the same?

Hollismason posted:

Okay, fine where are the sex Robots in the Prequels cause I have no idea what the hell people are referring to. Also, I am not going to google search Star Wars Sex Robot.

To the far right, in this shot.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

CelticPredator posted:

this channel is insane.

She actually had a Neimoidian that appears in the movies officialy named after her by Lucasfilm:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Zill_Kartay

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

So what's so bad about Hux? Other than being basically the Adventures of Young Hitler.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Corek posted:

She actually had a Neimoidian that appears in the movies officialy named after her by Lucasfilm:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Zill_Kartay

Huh. Interesting.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib
The Jedi, Rebels, and Resistance are the same: The Good Guys. This is unambiguous across all 6 george lucas films. And through his own commentary on making the movies.

There is a reason we draw a distinction in TFA between the Republic & the Resistance. Also why the Jedi Order (which is not the same as the concept of Jedi, who are unambiguously heroes) has its downfall in the PT. The Republic chooses not to fight evil, but half-heartedly backs a group of true freedom fighters. In the PT, the Jedi Order aligns itself with The Republic, a benign if corrupt galactic governance system.

You are ignoring that Maz does clarify the terms of conflict: Those who choose to oppose evil are good. Those who do not are either evil or struck down by a giant red lightsaber.

The OT was pretty black & white good vs evil, as was fine for its time, and the PT obviously draws heavily from distrust in the government & war. The NT is created in a time where people are preaching inclusion & action to fight oppression & prejudice. You have to take a side.

Edit: And in preaching inclusion for all star wars fans, Maz may be the BEST character in the series. (We all know the actual worst character is Dexter Jettster, followed closely by personal space invader spyedroid)

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jan 16, 2016

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Jerkface posted:

You are ignoring that Maz does clarify the terms of conflict: Those who choose to oppose evil are good. Those who do not are either evil or struck down by a giant red lightsaber.

That's contradictory with previous films, though. Like Han in ANH isn't really considered "good" until after he comes back during the trench run. Under that definition, however, he's good from the moment he runs from the Empire in Tatooine.

Lando in ESB also provides internal conflict as he's not explicitly evil but he's still helping the bad guys.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Nessus posted:

So what's so bad about Hux? Other than being basically the Adventures of Young Hitler.

tarkin jr is a good character

Scrree
Jan 16, 2008

the history of all dead generations,

Hollismason posted:

Okay, fine where are the sex Robots in the Prequels cause I have no idea what the hell people are referring to. Also, I am not going to google search Star Wars Sex Robot.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

computer parts posted:

That's contradictory with previous films, though. Like Han in ANH isn't really considered "good" until after he comes back during the trench run. Under that definition, however, he's good from the moment he runs from the Empire in Tatooine.

Lando in ESB also provides internal conflict as he's not explicitly evil but he's still helping the bad guys.

There is nothing contradictory about Han Solo or Lando. Characters are allowed to have arcs. You need only look at where Han & lando are in the third film. Both are Generals in the Rebellion and they work together to blow up the death star II.

They picked their side.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Jerkface posted:

There is nothing contradictory about Han Solo or Lando. Characters are allowed to have arcs. You need only look at where Han & lando are in the third film. Both are Generals in the Rebellion and they work together to blow up the death star II.

They picked their side.

The Star Wars Universe (not to be confused with Southern Wesleyan University) must be a real hellscape if the term "character arc" is formalized in it.

Soggy Cereal
Jan 8, 2011

Bongo Bill posted:

If Luke ended up duplicating the Jedi Order, it was because he never witnessed its malfeasance and thus never learned to avoid it. That failure of understanding is what necessitates his pilgrimage to the first temple. The destination of that pilgrimage, plus Maz's millennium-long perspective, the First Order's insecure imitation of the Empire and Kylo Ren's of Darth Vader, the repeated references to Leia's obsolete title, and the fact that Harrison Ford played a major character in this movie, means the whole thing is consciously about a preoccupation with the past. But nostalgia is inadequate; the Republic's prosperity and stability was harmful, the Rebellion's exhilaration was fleeting, and the Resistance's recreation of the past disguises and obscures the reality of their situation.

The First Order are filling a power vacuum opened by the diminution of the Empire and the weariness of the Republic. It's implied that they acquired all their resources the same way they got their manpower: plundering undefended planets. They are all young, and they've all been taught to hold in awe the strength and authority and general techno-fascist aesthetic of the Empire's glory days. Snoke has captured their energy and is using it to his own ends, which are still unknown. The Resistance fell for their phony "exactly the same as the Empire" act and slid right back into fighting the same kind of guerrilla war that all its leaders grew up fighting, because it's easier to think about killin' nazis than it is about fixing a galaxy that's been eroded by fifty years of Star War.

Good post.

I think that there is a sort of alternating structure with these movies, distinct from the chiasmus/ring theory stuff.
A - Good Guys Win, Everyone is Happy
B - Good Guys Lose or Pyrrhic Victory

A New Hope - A
The Empire Strikes Back - B
Return of the Jedi - A

Return of the Jedi feels too saccharine to some people because it ends on A. Empire Strikes Back is obviously "the best one" because it's "darker" and (to quote someone earlier in the thread) rebukes the simple fantasy of A New Hope.

The backstory of The Force Awakens is the B beat to Return of the Jedi's A, and is personified by Kylo Ren. It's a "rebuke" as it were to the ending of Return of the Jedi - oh, you thought that the Jedi could return so easily? You think this is easy, Luke? Haven't you watched the prequels, Luke? (This is also a clever way to acknowledge the prequels were the last movies to come out - finish off with a Jedi massacre.)

However, the rest of The Force Awakens is blatantly an A. This confuses people and causes them to think that it's bad, because we've had two A movies in a row now. This is also why TFA is the first Star Wars to actually employ a flashback in its narrative, so that it can imbibe the B beat while still being an A story.

John Boyega says that Episode 8 is darker. People think this means that it has to correspond 1:1 with Empire Strikes Back, when really it just has to be a B story. Which will inevitably be conflated to be the same thing, just like TFA is a remake of A New Hope despite being completely different in several ways.

The prequels would be ABB I guess, so the full roster of movies goes ABBABA(B)A.
Interestingly every A movie has a Death Star scenario, while a lack of clearly defined goals in the B movies leads to chaos.

Soggy Cereal fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jan 16, 2016

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Jerkface posted:

They picked their side.

Yes, but when did they do that?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

Fallen Rib

computer parts posted:

Yes, but when did they do that?

Han when he returns at the end of ANH. Lando when he escapes with Leia & rescues Luke.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Sorry but Hux is rad and I hope he lives all the way to Ep 8 where he goes down with the Finalizer as it crashes into Starkiller Base II.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
SMG, out of no malice towards you I say this: you're very obviously losing this maz battle. There isn't any real reason to slowly backpedal on this when you could just say "those are good points, I respect that". Instead of attempting to use Hux to support your annoyance at Maz, why not just focus on Hux? You'll find far more supporters on that front. Pride is the currency of fools.

Personally, I hope Hux gets further developed as a reluctant leader, pushed into a position of endless responsibilities due to his namesake (Hux Tarkin, obviously). It would also mirror Kylo's arc well, in that he'd be a son of a villain who turns "good" as a result of being pushed too far. I think it will be a significant plot point that he explicitly chooses to use individual men bound by dogma, instead of a single mind pasted a million times.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Just watched the first half of Phantom Menace with my kid.

The bet that people harp on between Qui Gon and Watto is nowhere near as convoluted as people imagine, it's incredibly straightforward.

As far as Watto knows, Qui Gon is providing the pod, and Watto is providing the racer, so they'll split the winnings down the middle. Watto is getting the better of the deal because Qui Gon is providing the ship as entry fee.

That obviously won't work for Qui Gon since they need the ship, so he offers the following: instead of me putting up the entry fee, you do it. If you win, keep the prize money and just give me the parts I need. If you lose, keep my ship, which you have the parts to fix, you win either way.

The deal with Anakin is an unrelated side bet. Watto boasts Sebulba is sure to win and he's planning on betting Anakin on it, to which Qui-Gon says he'll take that bet and put up the pod for him and the mother. Watto says he'll only bet one and roll a die to determine whom. He gets some obviously loaded die to fix it so he is only betting the less valuable mother, but Qui Gon counters with the force.

It's all laid out very plainly and both Qui Gon and Watto's logic and motivations are easy to follow.

One thing I noticed I never see brought up, Anakin didn't come to Tattooine possibly until he was three years old? He maybe wasn't born there? There's a scene where he says as much but it is a bit ambiguous and may have meant he didn't come to Watto specifically till he was three.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Jerkface posted:

Han when he returns at the end of ANH. Lando when he escapes with Leia & rescues Luke.

Yeah, but according to Maz all that's required is the resistance to evil, which would make Han a good guy when he left Tatooine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Neurolimal posted:

SMG, out of no malice towards you I say this: you're very obviously losing this maz battle. There isn't any real reason to slowly backpedal on this when you could just say "those are good points, I respect that". Instead of attempting to use Hux to support your annoyance at Maz, why not just focus on Hux? You'll find far more supporters on that front. Pride is the currency of fools.

This isn't a "battle," this is a discussion. People are allowed to like or not characters regardless of whether other people agree.
Don't misunderstand me, I'm not trying to rally to SMG's defense, or anything, but this isn't a poll or an election where people need "supporters" to justify having an opinion.

• Locked thread