Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hail Mr. Satan!
Oct 3, 2009

by zen death robot

Cythereal posted:

Here's one difference: despite all her talk, Jack never actually betrayed or blackmailed the crew.

Jack was also a three dimensional character with motivations that made sense, so there's another difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Huh. After getting the Phantom set in an armor crate, I just realized my SW is a Juggernaut clone of Mortiferous but with sillier hair. Woops.

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

I think, therefore I am inevitable.
Hierarchy among the Sith is based on how silly your hair is anyway. Why did you think Marr always wore that helmet?

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
I still find it difficult to fathom how in one 4 hour patch any game company can cut their core purist player base off at the kneecaps and not give a drat. After today our entire guild bailed except for one, and she is only staying subbed because she drew the short straw to log in just often enough to keep both guilds intact in case a miracle happens.

Beginning with our Pre-order CE's in July of 2011 up through 4.0's release she (my wife) and I have poured over $7,000 into this game. Since the Cartel Market launched in April 2013 we have averaged spending $1,276 per year each in the CM (CM items to GTN resales helped pay for our 12 bank tabs) and our subs. That combined annual $2,552 bonus check that Bioware grew accustomed to receiving from us will be $155.00 in 2016. And we aren't the only ones who got sucked into this.

They really have no clue what they've done.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

Is that a copy/paste?

TheCrushinator
May 19, 2008

Ineptitude posted:

I still find it difficult to fathom how in one 4 hour patch any game company can cut their core purist player base off at the kneecaps and not give a drat. After today our entire guild bailed except for one, and she is only staying subbed because she drew the short straw to log in just often enough to keep both guilds intact in case a miracle happens.

Beginning with our Pre-order CE's in July of 2011 up through 4.0's release she (my wife) and I have poured over $7,000 into this game. Since the Cartel Market launched in April 2013 we have averaged spending $1,276 per year each in the CM (CM items to GTN resales helped pay for our 12 bank tabs) and our subs. That combined annual $2,552 bonus check that Bioware grew accustomed to receiving from us will be $155.00 in 2016. And we aren't the only ones who got sucked into this.

Always wondered what a "gently caress you bli$$" post would look like in another MMO.

edit: for Nefarious 2.0

Its from the Jan live stream official forums http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=8747864

halwain
May 31, 2011
Wait i only started playing this again a couple of weeks ago, why did they kill their player base exactly?

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

It's hillarious how that guy doesn't understand that he is exactly the type of player they want. He dropped 7 THOUSAND dollars on their game.

Do we have a swtorplayers.txt ?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

halwain posted:

Wait i only started playing this again a couple of weeks ago, why did they kill their player base exactly?

They've been primarily focused on single player story rather than adding additional traditional MMO content (Raids, warzones). This has made the people that want endgame content quite salty over the last year.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Verranicus posted:

What's the official stance on the guild bank? I've been treating it as kind of a take a penny leave a penny sort of thing and always donate something if I take something.

Reposting this since I don't want to get on anyone's bad side if I'm doing it wrong.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Verranicus posted:

Reposting this since I don't want to get on anyone's bad side if I'm doing it wrong.

If you're going to *use it* go ahead and take it. If you're going to *sell it* leave it in.

If the item is worthless please don't deposit it. I can't tell you how many times the guild bank has filled up with Vectron Slicer schematics that I've pulled out and vendored for guild funds.

For repairs please only use guild funds for raiding *with* goons, no pug raids. We're trying to save up for more ship unlocking.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Medullah posted:

If the item is worthless please don't deposit it. I can't tell you how many times the guild bank has filled up with Vectron Slicer schematics that I've pulled out and vendored for guild funds.

I got a Vectron Slicer schematic the other day and I thought it was so cool that I decided to use it without even looking at the GTN price. :eng99:

(It is a nice speeder, though.)

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

prefect posted:

I got a Vectron Slicer schematic the other day and I thought it was so cool that I decided to use it without even looking at the GTN price. :eng99:

(It is a nice speeder, though.)

The schematics are super common drops. The only problem is *making them* takes a ton of valuable mats so they're not worth trying to create to sell. I like the looks of all of them but the schematics themselves are vendor trash unless you want to have it yourself.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Medullah posted:

If you're going to *use it* go ahead and take it. If you're going to *sell it* leave it in.

For repairs please only use guild funds for raiding *with* goons, no pug raids. We're trying to save up for more ship unlocking.

Guess I should try to re-sell the Crate-O-Matic I just bought with TNG cash then :shepface:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ineptitude posted:

What exactly is the thing that killed it he's referring to?

Edit: oh, I see someone else asked that. Raiders always think that they're the core when they're usually less than 10% and represent little of the income.

Edit 2: Wait no, he says 'after today' so it's not KOTFE.

Aphrodite fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Jan 15, 2016

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Aphrodite posted:

What exactly is the thing that killed it he's referring to?

They did something to make Life Day trees bound instead of tradeable, I think? So people who had been planning to sell them for big bucks were screwed. :shrug:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

prefect posted:

They did something to make Life Day trees bound instead of tradeable, I think? So people who had been planning to sell them for big bucks were screwed. :shrug:

Which I was perfectly happy with because the change made them able to be added to collections so I don't have to carry it around with me. :D

pinkk
Sep 6, 2004

hi

Medullah posted:

Which I was perfectly happy with because the change made them able to be added to collections so I don't have to carry it around with me. :D

I imagine your inventory consists of 98 toys, an adrenal and a medpac.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Medullah posted:

There are a lot of armor sets and vehicles that aren't in collections -- are they going to all be added in eventually, or do non-collection items stay that way forever?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Stuff that you can just get in-game whenever doesn't go to collections.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

pinkk posted:

I imagine your inventory consists of 98 toys, an adrenal and a medpac.

Who needs adrenals?

Nah I usually keep two rows of toys and rotate through as needed.

pinkk
Sep 6, 2004

hi
adrenals own

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Ineptitude posted:

Oh man that just made me more confused :ohdear:

What are bonus series?

In the game as released, characters progressed through a prologue and 3 chapters through a progression of planets, starting on one of four starter planets and ending on Corellia, as shown on the chart.

On each planet there's a unique storyline of quests for your player class, known as the "class quests". There's also a common storyline of quests on every planet that is the same for all player classes, known as the "planetary quests". These sync up with the class quests in area and level - you're supposed to do them together. The idea is that by the time you'd completed both storylines, you'd be the right level to move onto the next planet. Unfortunately the XP curve used to be so steep that it was possible to finish your class quest, the planetary quest and every side mission in sight and still be too low level to start the next planet, so they added an extra chain of quests on many planets (NPC: "hey, I know you've done what you came to do here but we really need your help...") to give players an extra chance to level up before continuing the story. These are the "bonus series".

Those sad days are behind us and XP now comes through a firehose but if you really want to see every last bit of story in the game, you'll have to do every planetary quest once and every bonus series once.

Ineptitude posted:

Operation?

Operations are instanced endgame raids for large groups of 8 or 16 players. Most of them are available in three difficulty levels: Story Mode, Hard Mode and Nightmare Mode.

Ineptitude posted:

What is the diffence between flashpoint and tactical flashpoint?

A flashpoint is an instanced mini-raid designed for four players. They were originally set at fixed levels from 11-48 and later, Hard Mode versions were added for most of the flashpoints, which were fixed at max level (then 50). These flashpoints were all balanced for the classic configuration (tank - healer - 2 x dps) and when the group finder was added to the game, it was configured to match appropriate groups.

The 2.6 patch added a new flashpoint, Kuat Drive Yards, which was called a "tactical flashpoint" because it was balanced for a group of four players of any class: 4 dps, 3 tanks and a healer, whatever. Healing stations were placed around the bosses for groups without healers and bosses didn't hit hard enough to one-shot non-tanks. In addition, KDY could be entered at any level 15+ and your stats and gear would be "bolstered" up to the appropriate level so you could group with players who were any other level. Queue times dropped, no more waiting around for a tank to join, and everybody was happy. Two existing flashpoints were retrofitted to become tacticals. The six flashpoints added in "Forged Alliances" and "Shadow of Revan" were all created in tactical versions, but they also added solo versions so players could get through the storyline without needing to group at all. This was all very successful, which leads us to the 4.0 patch.

In 4.0, every old, pre-Rise of the Hutt Cartel flashpoint was retrofitted to be "tactical", open to groups of any four players. This was done really badly, and a lot of them are still basically balanced for TH2D.

tldr: "tactical flashpoints" are open to players 15-65, everyone is boosted to 65, and the group finder takes the first 4 players available regardless of class. Hard Mode flashpoints are 50-65, and I believe the group finder still enforces "tank - healer - 2 x dps" for those.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Medullah posted:

Edit - Also I don't relish camping the Dessler, but hey, I camped the Oricon rare Serpentor hat so who knows!

That one shouldn't be too awful now. The rush has died down, so people aren't fighting over spawns 24/7. I wound up getting it just by running through Czerka every day doing dailies for cash and checking when I got to the area.

Verranicus posted:

To expound a bit on what Medullah said above, my official policy is "Don't be a jerk". Our bank space is meant to be used to swap neat stuff around with guildies. Deposit stuff if you think someone else will use it. Take stuff if you will use it. Don't deposit stuff if we already have three or four of the same item. Don't take stuff if you're just going to sell it for credits.

We're pretty laid back, so most of the bank tabs are just "take what you want". The downside to this is that we don't have anything in place to preempt someone from being a dick, so don't deposit anything that you would be heartbroken to see yoinked and put on the GTN. (Again, people shouldn't be taking things just to put them on the GTN.)

The exception to this is the tab marked Oedzi's Stash, which is deposit-only for all but about 3 people. The main usage there is to store frameworks and encryptions as we save them up, but if you'd like to donate a big-ticket item to be used for some kind of raffle or contest like we've done in the past, you can put it there and let an officer know or post here in the thread about it.

I'll probably be around a bit more this weekend, and I'll try to organize some people to do some story mode raids. If you've never raided before, don't be shy. I know it seems like a big hurdle, but it's really easy to get over the hump and get started.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Nipponophile posted:

I'll probably be around a bit more this weekend, and I'll try to organize some people to do some story mode raids. If you've never raided before, don't be shy. I know it seems like a big hurdle, but it's really easy to get over the hump and get started.

We should aim for doing some Xenoanalyst runs on Sunday night. Even if you don't have the rep for it we can summon you inside the area.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Medullah posted:

We should aim for doing some Xenoanalyst runs on Sunday night. Even if you don't have the rep for it we can summon you inside the area.

That's a good idea. I'd forgotten Gree stuff was going on.

Xenoanalyst is an instance single-boss Operation, so it's super-quick to run through. You normally need to reach a base level of reputation to buy an item from the Gree vendor that will allow you to access the Grey Secant, where Xenoanalyst is located. I think I remember that needing about 3 days worth of dailies. Since reputation is legacy-wide, you can do that in one day if you have multiple characters.

We should be able to get enough people together to run the 16-man versions with all the folks I've seen on lately.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Medullah posted:

I think Xenoanalyst is the only way I can get those tokens that let you buy Gray Helix weapons. I need those.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

prefect posted:

I think Xenoanalyst is the only way I can get those tokens that let you buy Gray Helix weapons. I need those.

You get one token for doing the daily "Primary Testing/Primary Studies" heroic. Also the one-time-quest "Ancient Gree Relays" rewards you with 2 tokens, but it's kind of a pain since it has you running around to six different planets.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

shadok posted:

You get one token for doing the daily "Primary Testing/Primary Studies" heroic. Also the one-time-quest "Ancient Gree Relays" rewards you with 2 tokens, but it's kind of a pain since it has you running around to six different planets.

I did "Ancient Gree Relays" with all my eligible characters last time. It took hours, and not all of my characters could beat four elites at once, especially on Voss. I need to learn enough patience to try to get into heroic daily groups. :blush:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

prefect posted:

I did "Ancient Gree Relays" with all my eligible characters last time. It took hours, and not all of my characters could beat four elites at once, especially on Voss. I need to learn enough patience to try to get into heroic daily groups. :blush:

Yeah that definitely got harder with level synch. :(

Though tip - the only planet you actually have to fly to is Quesh. All the other ones you can pick up a heroic mission for the planet.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
i think, 'hmm heroic daily groups' and then i think 'pubbies.' and shudder

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Thanks! Very in-depth explanations!

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

Is anything any Yavin IV worth doing storywise? I'm already 65 and just finished Rishi. The class quest was pretty cool. If Yavin IV is stupid I'll probably just start KOTFE.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Bulky Bartokomous posted:

Is anything any Yavin IV worth doing storywise? I'm already 65 and just finished Rishi. The class quest was pretty cool. If Yavin IV is stupid I'll probably just start KOTFE.

Well it ties up the Shadow of Revan storyline so yeah, you should do it at least once.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Dalris Othaine posted:

Apparently if you're subbed on February 1 you get a free "HK-inspired" jetpack. This is good news for many, so it will naturally infuriate current jetpack-havers.

Still. Jetpack!

Godamnit, i spent like 7 million on one a couple months back, I knew something was gonna happen!

KicksYouInHalf
Aug 6, 2007

National tragedy.
I think my sub is coming to an end pretty soon and I'm probably not gonna renew for another two years when I get the itch that only a lightsaber can scratch. It's kind of y'all's fault, though. Everyone kept talking up FFXIV so I hopped on the free trial and it's pretty neat.

Had fun killing space wizards with you goons, though!

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

I just couldn't get into FFXIV. It was... too MMOey for me, I guess :D

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

Medullah posted:

Well it ties up the Shadow of Revan storyline so yeah, you should do it at least once.

It also introduces a bunch of characters who are important for the rest of the game, so yeah, give it a shot.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Dalris Othaine posted:

I just couldn't get into FFXIV. It was... too MMOey for me, I guess :D

You. You're part of the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dalris Othaine
Oct 14, 2013

Nipponophile posted:

You. You're part of the problem.

If I'm going to be spending hours an hours wandering around huge zones looking for quest markers, the game should at least meet me halfway and let me carry a lightsaber while doing it. :colbert:

• Locked thread