Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
South Vietnam just underwent the coup that overthrew and killed Ngo Dinh Diem, and if history remains accurate, will undergo another one when Duong Van Minh in turn is ousted. It'll be hard to reach out to "South Vietnamese leadership" about anything right now.

edit: Also, the page for 1964 civilian leader Nguyen Ngoc Tho is a featured article and explains everything he did, but just admits that his activities after the coup are unknown and doesn't have a death date. SUSPICIOUS

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nguyễn_Ng&%237885;c_Th&%23417;

Corek has issued a correction as of 01:47 on Jan 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Homework Explainer posted:

1. It's time to show solidarity with our Viet Cong comrades in the North. Supply Ho Chi Minh's brave fighters with advanced military hardware, and drive the imperialist dogs out of Indochina.

2. Make all CIA documents public and give a televised address apologizing for the monkeyshines of America's secret police. If we throw ourselves on the mercy of the people, it's possible we won't be tried at Nuremberg II for our multiple, grievous crimes against humanity.

Goldwater wins all 50 states, defeating the military Democrat placeholder government after your execution

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

fade5 posted:

So you're saying we only have to prop up South Vietnam for another year?

Works for me.

Yeah, that. Admit to the North Vietnamese as much if you have to if you 1) think it will work and 2) it won't come back to us.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Why try and get the NVA leadership when we can go after the generals and have them convince entire platoons or battalions whatever to defect. Weren't most of them poor guys who had no idea what was going on anyway? Go after the masses.

don Jaime
Apr 3, 2004

rakovsky maybe posted:

1) How should you modify your strategy in Vietnam?
B. Let the thousand soldiers come home, but otherwise do not alter current strategy. American troops will stay in Saigon to advise and train.

This, and keep the Mansfield option others are suggesting. Also might want to keep tabs on what the brass is telling us. Don't want them making up engagements to squeeze America into a war it doesn't want.

quote:

2) Should Robert Kennedy’s commission have access to classified CIA information?
B. Give Kennedy access to classified CIA information but restrict it from being entered into the public record. It can inform his investigation only.

And have McCone run that crap past my desk while you're at it, I don't want any surprises if Kennedy gets mad about something.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

don Jaime posted:

This, and keep the Mansfield option others are suggesting. Also might want to keep tabs on what the brass is telling us. Don't want them making up engagements to squeeze America into a war it doesn't want.

And have McCone run that crap past my desk while you're at it, I don't want any surprises if Kennedy gets mad about something.

Changing my votes to these.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Deploy the U.S.S. Loose Change to The Gulf. You know which one.

rakovsky maybe
Nov 4, 2008

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Have we heard anything from that guy we sent to Vietnam a while ago?

Bernard Fall is the journalist you sent to negotiate with the Vietnamese. He's not having a ton of luck (North Vietnam has no real reason to come to the table at this point) and personally recommends getting the hell out. That might be influenced by the fact that he was chosen by George Ball, who shares the same general sentiment.

Golden Bee posted:

Deploy the U.S.S. Loose Change to The Gulf. You know which one.

I'm anticipating a lot of fun interactions with Israel.

EDIT: Just realized you're talking about the Maddox and not the Liberty haha.

rakovsky maybe has issued a correction as of 22:55 on Jan 15, 2016

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy
I think it's pretty clear it's time to nuke Vietnam.

Xenophon
Jun 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer
Sent a photograph of our massive wang to Ho Chi Minh with a note reading "U want some pho?" He'll respect our manliness and proper pronunciation of his nation's delightful noodle soup

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Xenophon posted:

Sent a photograph of our massive wang to Ho Chi Minh with a note reading "U want some pho?" He'll respect our manliness and proper pronunciation of his nation's delightful noodle soup

If we can't take the People to Vietnam... what if we take Vietnam to the People?!

Pho Soup in every school cafeteria! Replace the Latin curriculum with Eastern Studies! Children are the future god drat it.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
I wonder what the reaction would be of one head of state sending another a photograph dick pic without any context.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Outrail posted:

I wonder what the reaction would be of one head of state sending another a photograph dick pic without any context.

Probably something like Angela Merkel's freakout when Dubya started giving her a surprise rubdown

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Gentlemen (there's no ladies in here), while we're spread far too thin in the wake of President Kennedy's un(snicker) untimely demise, that's par for the course in leading the greatest nation on God's Green Earth. What it doesn't mean, however, is that we can't figure out what matters more to us, and ensuring that we aren't just signing a one-year lease on some government housing.

Push come to shove, civil rights don't mean a thing if the communists take over because then none of us will have any rights. This means we need to take the hardest of lines against communism, even if we need to trade votes against civil rights to get there. Either we push more troops into Vietnam and triple-down on our endeavors there, or we make it crystal clear that we're only pulling our boys out to avoid the radioactive fallout. If we lose Vietnam, we lose the whole South Pacific.

In addition, it's been nice for us to let RFK run around and play detective trying to find the vast conspiracy that did his brother in, but it runs the real risk of him kicking over the wrong stone and setting off an avalanche that ends up burying us. RFK can hold all the tea socials he wants, but if he gets into communist activity he gets nothing. If we haven't already, instruct J. Edgar to keep a closer eye on Robert than he already has been; and if Robert's grief leads him into places he shouldn't be snooping, he might not find his way back to the light.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
D, give a live presidential address in which you admit defeat and formally and unconditionally surrender to North Vietnam. Invite them to send an occupying force and rewrite the US Constitution.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
1: C, we need to get out ASAP and surely we can find some way to look tough on communism between now and election day.

2: B

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Raskolnikov38 posted:

1: C, we need to get out ASAP and surely we can find some way to look tough on communism between now and election day.

That's a good choice: we'll leave a crater

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

fronz posted:

That's a good choice: we'll leave a crater

I dunno how spoilers work for this game but for the October surprise I want to unleash Chang after Mao detonates a nuke

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
I think we should frame Rob as being a communist sympathizer, guilty of JFK's assassination, and then have him shot outside a police station by someone who is then killed in the ensuing shootout. So in that regard let him have a bunch of commie documents so we can leak a copy to someone else and kick off the blame game.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

I'm picturing this part as Lyndon and his advisors getting stinking drunk and just shouting out whatever comes to mind.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Kavak posted:

I'm picturing this part as Lyndon and his advisors getting stinking drunk and just shouting out whatever comes to mind.

D, whip out Jumbo on live TV and challenge Ho Chi Minh to a literal pissing contest for Saigon.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Kavak posted:

Including presumably the one bona-fide Red Communist that Hoover could dredge up in the entirety of Washington D.C., there solely to advocate the glorious people's revolution for comic relief.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

1. C

2. B, with a rider that the CIA needs to get their poo poo together and stop loving up or we're going to bomb Yale and put UT in the Ivy League by executive order. Perhaps we should suggest to Hoover that the CIA seems awfully soft on the commies.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Nessus posted:

2. B, with a rider that the CIA needs to get their poo poo together and stop loving up or we're going to bomb Yale and put UT in the Ivy League by executive order. Perhaps we should suggest to Hoover that the CIA seems awfully soft on the commies.

No on bombing Yale, yes on FBI raid on Langley.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Kavak posted:

No on bombing Yale, yes on FBI raid on Langley.
Hell, I'm not saying a raid, but something's going on over there and if we're going to have overlapping police apparatus, we better have them in line. If the Reds can do it, so can we!

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

QuoProQuid posted:

1. Mike Mansfield Option: Accelerate current diplomatic offensive but make it clear to the Hanoi Government, through our covert channels, that any reduction of force on the American side will need to be met with a similar de-escalation by the North Vietnamese Army and the Viet Cong. Enlist France to support Ball's drive for a settlement. The United States may be willing to accept a resolution that reduces its influence provided that it also inhibits Chinese political domination over the region.

On the military front, maintain current troop levels until we receive a real commitment to engage with the United States and its southern neighbor in a negotiated settlement. Convince the South to focus on those parts of South Vietnam which it now controls and to end its so-far unsuccessful chase of Viet Cong all over the country. Use aid to improve the political and social condition of those people currently under Saigon's control. Provide military aid where relevant.

(We may eventually consider reaching out to the Soviets about establishing a neutral state in Vietnam. Based on historic documents, they would probably be up for it and it, driving an additional wedge between them and China. I am not including it here because I am afraid of us doing too many things at once.)

2. B. I trust Kennedy, but not the press.

There are a lot of words here, many of them persuasive and most of them competent-sounding. I vote for Plan QuoProQuid.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Kavak posted:

I like to think of this as a window into the mind of greatness. Deftly considering every possibility; even the outlandish!

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

QuoProQuid posted:

1. Mike Mansfield Option: Accelerate current diplomatic offensive but make it clear to the Hanoi Government, through our covert channels, that any reduction of force on the American side will need to be met with a similar de-escalation by the North Vietnamese Army and the Viet Cong. Enlist France to support Ball's drive for a settlement. The United States may be willing to accept a resolution that reduces its influence provided that it also inhibits Chinese political domination over the region.

On the military front, maintain current troop levels until we receive a real commitment to engage with the United States and its southern neighbor in a negotiated settlement. Convince the South to focus on those parts of South Vietnam which it now controls and to end its so-far unsuccessful chase of Viet Cong all over the country. Use aid to improve the political and social condition of those people currently under Saigon's control. Provide military aid where relevant.

(We may eventually consider reaching out to the Soviets about establishing a neutral state in Vietnam. Based on historic documents, they would probably be up for it and it, driving an additional wedge between them and China. I am not including it here because I am afraid of us doing too many things at once.)

2. C Kennedy's not being tight enough with the information he's been given. If we let him see it, it will leak. If he cries about it, send his commission action shots of Jumbo by the ream in envelopes marked Classified.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Skeesix posted:

2. C Kennedy's not being tight enough with the information he's been given. If we let him see it, it will leak. If he cries about it, send his commission action shots of Jumbo by the ream in envelopes marked Classified.

Whatever we do we should include a <TOP SECRET - CLASSIFIED> series of Jumbo shots.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Outrail posted:

Whatever we do we should include a <TOP SECRET - CLASSIFIED> series of Jumbo shots.

When questioned, we must reply with certitude.

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

vyelkin posted:

D, give a live presidential address in which you admit defeat and formally and unconditionally surrender to North Vietnam. Invite them to send an occupying force and rewrite the US Constitution.

Outrail posted:

I think we should frame Rob as being a communist sympathizer, guilty of JFK's assassination, and then have him shot outside a police station by someone who is then killed in the ensuing shootout. So in that regard let him have a bunch of commie documents so we can leak a copy to someone else and kick off the blame game.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

vyelkin posted:

this is a good alternative to my choices.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Are you trying to incite Red Dawn? Because this is how you get Red Dawn.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

vyelkin posted:

ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED: Killed by Secret Service II.
"You gave in; they held out."

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

it's worth going through the peaceful motions but i don't think the north vietnamese are going to let us get away with success. they know they've got the winning hand, they don't want to let us or the military junta in saigon off easy, and they know that embarrassing us wins them a lot of credibility. it's hard to win an election in such circumstances without intentionally escalating a pointless war. but we sure do need to win that election

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

oystertoadfish posted:

it's worth going through the peaceful motions but i don't think the north vietnamese are going to let us get away with success. they know they've got the winning hand, they don't want to let us or the military junta in saigon off easy, and they know that embarrassing us wins them a lot of credibility. it's hard to win an election in such circumstances without intentionally escalating a pointless war. but we sure do need to win that election

As soon as we get all of their leadership in a room. Boom. Suicide bomber.

Heh. That'll learn em.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

reignofevil posted:

As soon as we get all of their leadership in a room. Boom. Suicide bomber.

Heh. That'll learn em.

Okay Sergeant Brody

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Outrail posted:

Are you trying to incite Red Dawn? Because this is how you get Red Dawn.

a soviet invasion and occupation of the united states would have been objectively better for the american people. this of course would never have happened because the us was and continues to be the imperial aggressor in the world.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Homework Explainer posted:

a soviet invasion and occupation of the united states would have been objectively better for the american people. this of course would never have happened because the us was and continues to be the imperial aggressor in the world.

It would have been so great for the American people. The Soviets could have engineered another great famine!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Not a Step posted:

It would have been so great for the American people. The Soviets could have engineered another great famine!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ol48ME_kKUw

• Locked thread