Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poverty goat

joke_explainer posted:

That's loving insanely good for your first try. That crumb. That volume. And you aren't even using a dutch oven. Holy poo poo.

the loaf i cut last night was the one that really wanted to stick after proofing. the other's crumb is less lopsided

e: bonus shot of brick oven setup

I've learned that this setup with tiles above+below actually tricks this oven's thermistor into never reaching 500 while it heats the tiles to upwards of 550/620 bottom/top. also misted the oven and put some boiling water in the bottom on this one :lsd:

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Dec 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat

dutch oven came today

one of my scores didnt take on right loaf so it doesnt look as good from the top :ssh:

:toot:

om nom nom

om nom nom nom nom nom nom
We had a few friends over for Christmas Brunch, I made some egg strada and Turkey blts. My special lady baked some monkey bread, candy cookies and made buckeyes. We drank mimosas and wassail.

Egg strada is like quiche with bread in it. A little cream mixed with a dozen eggs, browned and cooled some chorizo, and cut up some bread a few days before to let it stale. Mixed the bread, chorizo, and some muenster, poured the egg over top, baked most of the way, pulled it out and sprinkled some cheddar on top, back in the oven for 5ish minutes to melt/lightly brown the cheese.

Brined the turkey for about 36 hours, made the brine with equal parts granulated sugar and kosher salt, some crushed up bay leaves, and thyme. Patted it dry when it came out of the brine, seasoned with salt, white pepper, and more thyme. Softened some butter and mixed with an equal amount of bacon fat and smeared it under the skin on the breasts and in the cavity. Two whole, peeled yellow onions in the cavity as well. Cooked it the day before, basting every hour-hour and a half to get sexy crispy bacon fatty skin. My lady and I had a drumstick for dinner, the rest went into the fridge to be sliced in the morning.

The rest of the blt was romaine, regular globe tomatoes, dailys 10-12 applewood smoked bacon, Wheat Montana cracked 9 grain bread, and an "aoli". I cheated and used mayonnaise, but I minced and sauteed garlic in butter (cooled before adding), added a splash of lemon juice, and a small amount of whole grain mustard, soy sauce, and sriracha.

I made the dough for the monkey bread, I just found a recipe for sour dough soft dinner rolls online. My lady's got a starter, I don't remember everything that went into it, but I used Wheat Montana Prarie Gold flour, and there was some honey in it. She did the rest.

Wassail was Apple, cranberry, and pineapple juice, with a clove studded orange, cinnamon sticks, a star anise, allspice, and nutmeg and lots of kraken dark rum, simmered all morning. It makes the house smell awesome.

As a bonus, I made the pineapple juice. Take your skins that still have plenty of fruit on them and core from the pineapple (we had two) and put in a pot with just enough water to cover. Simmer low low low for 24 hours, with some of the spices I mentioned earlier. (Brown if you want) sugar or honey to taste before it comes off. Transfer to a different container (or don't if you're made of money and can leave pots in the fridge for days) and let it sit for a few days. Now you have awesome pineapple juice that is just as pungent as what you would buy in the store made for free with scraps. The downside is it ranges in color from dark piss to poo poo water.

Sorry no pics. I'm just happy this thread comes to life from time to time and wanted to share my recent adventure.

Pomp

by Fluffdaddy
is it possible to make a good bread with some kind of cast iron pan set up?

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

joke_explainer

Pomp posted:

Sure, what kind of bread are you looking to make? I've been really enjoying the increased baking here lately, and we could make a recipe work with cast iron. Do you have multiple cast iron pans? If you had two, you could put one above and below and sort of emulate the tile setup Goatfather has in a way.

poverty goat

Pomp posted:

you need a tight seal to trap steam inside with enough room for the bread to spring (the rising that happens in the oven). for non bread related reasons I'd been planning for a while to jsut get a lid for my 12" cast iron skillet to use it as a dutch oven but I'm glad I didn't because it wouldn't have been tall enough and I wouldn't have been able to invert it (the lid of the recommended dutch ovens are designed to be usable as separate pans on their own, and for bread you actually put the dough in the top and place the larger piece over top). you can try to improvise but ymmv and it's probably a wash if it's not a good seal

all of the previous breads I've posted itt were just baked on pizza stones if you've got one of those (the bread immediately previous to this one is the same recipe, cooked on the stones). the crust will never be quite bakery tier this way but it's still really tasty and crusty and sexy looking, probably better than whatever other bread you'd be eating otherwise. you'll want to try to raise the humidity in the oven which generally means getting a spray bottle full of water and misting the bottom of the oven good every 2-3 minutes for the first 15 minutes or so

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Dec 31, 2015

Pomp

by Fluffdaddy
i made red rice and beans with a bunch of spicy sausage and it's good but i oversalted a little this time and i probably shouldn't have used cayenne, black pepper and peppers in conjunction with the spicy sausage because the spiciness is kinda of overpowering the other flavors, that's my food thanks for reading

Pomp fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jan 3, 2016

----------------

Pomp

by Fluffdaddy
shoulda used the linguica like usual

----------------

alnilam

I made ravioli from scratch

I'm very tired

Butt Frosted Cake

rollin out the egg pasta as thin as possible makes me arm tired too

alnilam

so we made 60 ravioli + some scuzzy, um, "linguini" out of the final scrap dough

filling A: butternut squarsh baked until soft, mashed up with some basil, sage, thyme, olive oil, salt, pepper, and finely chopped and sauteed onions + garlic

filling B: arugula, walnuts, olive oil, sauteed garlic, and fresh parmasean blended in food proc; + a single crumble of gorgonzola placed into each ravioli while assembling

so here's the basic idea

you get a ravioli mold like this

then you make dough:
  • 4 cup flahr
  • 6 egg
  • 2 tsp salt
  • 4 tbsp olive oil
make a volcano out of the dry ingredients
fill the crater with the wet ingredients
mix from inside to out until it's dough
knead for like 10-15 minutes - i had to cut it into 2 balls to make it easier to handle for kneading
store covered with damp cloth (I mean, like, in a bowl with a damp cloth over the bowl) for like half an hour to let it relax

then you roll the dough out on a flour'd countertop
each ball can easily make enough dough for about 2 dozen in a mold about the size of the one pictured, so cut each ball in 4ths (so you have 8 cuts of dough total)
keep the ones you're not using covered with a damp cloth!
This is the part that made me really tired. Why? Because the only rolling pin at my gf's house is the one that came with the ravioli mold - look at the photo above, we have roughly the same mold and rolling pin. It doesn't even have rotating handles! We're talkin rolling out 10 pieces of dough to be quite very thin using basically a 1.25" diameter dowel. This would have been much easier with a real rolling pin, ugh

after rolling one out to be a bit bigger than the tray, and dusting the ravioli tray with flour, plac ethe dough on the ravioli tray, get its top surface slightly wet with your fingers (esp around the seams of the ravioli), and press down into the dimples of the ravioli tray... the dough will bounce back a bit but once you put the filling in it'll stay down

put about a tsp of filling into each little dimple and press down gently on the filling with the spoon, it should stay down better now
for filling B, here I also gingerly placed a delicate crumble of gorgonzola atop each dollop of filling *kisses fingers italianly* mwah!

then take another rolled-out dough that is the size of the tray, this will be the covering layer. put it over top

then you use the same tiny-rear end rolling pin for its actual intended purpose:
roll it gently along the whole top of the tray a few times to bond and squeeze out air
then press the pin hard into each inter-ravioli seam, go around and do this a few times until they've all cut mostly through
you should be able to just pull away the excess dough around the edges, then flip the tray over to dump the ravioli out and they should be nicely cut apart or need a little careful separating

save all your scrap dough from the edges (store in the covered bowl(s) along the way) and you'll get a bonus batch or two out of it by the end!

when all dat rav is made, you boil however many you want to eat tonight for just a couple of minutes (3-4), and freeze the rest
make some basic red sauce w garlic to put overtop but don't go too wild on the sauce you want to taste the rav!

they were really good!!

ty manifisto

alnilam

Butt Frosted Cake posted:

rollin out the egg pasta as thin as possible makes me arm tired too

thank you for your sympathy and understanding

ty manifisto

om nom nom

I love you guys

Pomp

by Fluffdaddy
i broke up with a fiance who would make me raviolis from scratch they were really good i miss the raviolis more than her

----------------

Pomp

by Fluffdaddy

alnilam posted:

I made ravioli from scratch

I'm very tired

you seeing anybody

----------------

joke_explainer

might be a nice idea to get a new rolling pin! they're very inexpensive. I like my really heavy marble one with handles but a lot of people seem to use the long ones that are just a single piece of wood you roll, you can apply more force directly that way I think and don't have to stop as much for repositioning and such... idk though, I only have used them at friends houses and I like my marble one

alnilam

joke_explainer posted:

might be a nice idea to get a new rolling pin! they're very inexpensive. I like my really heavy marble one with handles but a lot of people seem to use the long ones that are just a single piece of wood you roll, you can apply more force directly that way I think and don't have to stop as much for repositioning and such... idk though, I only have used them at friends houses and I like my marble one

I know, I usually use my housemate's but this is at my gf's haus... someday I'll need to get one

i don't get the idea of one without handles... you can get one with handles and when you want more direct force just not use the handles?? I did so much rolling that I'd much rather have had handles, all the direct rolling with my hands was hurting my hands by the end

The X-man cometh
I'm trying bread again, this time more scientifically than my usual "add flour or water until it's the consistency I want" I'm using a sourdough starter I started before Christmas, and a high hydration on the dough (about 75%).

Here are my loaves just after shaping:

I'll be back tonight and add pictures once it's risen and then after it bakes.

For rolling pins - I've found that the thin ones Indians use for rolling out chapatis are much easier on the hands, and really good when you want something to come out really thin.
They look like this:

Edited because I used volume instead of weight to calculate hydration.

The X-man cometh fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jan 5, 2016

----------------

poverty goat

good luck! I've never actually used a rolling pin for bread :shobon:

tonight I'm making ginger+coriander (80%) whole wheat bread. In the book they've got these beautiful pictures of dark whole wheat bread with big rear end air pockets inside and it's all "whole wheat bread can be just like this*!! *if you are using just the right freshly ground seasonal flour and the stars are aligned". I'm using king arthur flour from food lion and didn't quite get that level of lift but itll do

the raisins swelled up and are pretending to be blueberries

it did get a lil dark on the bottom but not inedibly so

it's v good with cream cheese. several good breakfasts will be had and the book insists it's a sleeper hit for grilled cheese :staredog:

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jan 6, 2016

The X-man cometh
Oh, the rolling pin is for pasta, I don't use one like that, but when I have, they seem to work really well.

Here are my loaves all grown up. I brushed some oil on for color, and in they went.

And finished! Any thoughts?

The X-man cometh fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jan 6, 2016

----------------

joke_explainer

Not really about making your own food, but I did go to a really nice new year's day dinner at a place I had never been to before and enjoyed it, so I thought I'd report on it. The place was called 'Old Salt' in Portland.

They have a really nice meat counter. They're a shop as well as a restaurant.

The menu.

The bloody mary. That meatstick in it is called a landjäger, it's kind of like a fancy slim jim. It was good.

I got the burger, only because other people got the dishes I was interested in so I figured I'd spread it around. The potatoes are really interesting here: They seem to be trying to maximize the amount of crispy crust on fried potatoes.

My friend got the dirty rice cake benedict w/ tasso ham:

and my other friend got the general new years day traditional dinner: black eyed pea & ham stew, collards, cornbread, fried eggs.

Anyway, it was real good. Nice place. I apologize that none of the images are properly white balanced / color balance, my photoshop license seems to be having some problems but I figured sharing anyway was a good idea. Nice slipat, X-Man, I love those things.

Dang It Bhabhi!

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Are collards related to collard greens? Do they cook a lot faster?

joke_explainer

fyodor posted:

Are collards related to collard greens? Do they cook a lot faster?

Same thing they are synonyms

fema crisis actor

bweee-ooo-eee-ooo-eee-ooo
Just making some spaghetti in the old kitchen here, no big deal, but all the good food threads got gas so here we are

Sorry I couldn't make the picture any bigger

joke_explainer

The X-man cometh posted:

Oh, the rolling pin is for pasta, I don't use one like that, but when I have, they seem to work really well.

Here are my loaves all grown up. I brushed some oil on for color, and in they went.

And finished! Any thoughts?

The loaves don't look really proofed... You didn't really get any oven spring. Crust hasn't really darkened and the interior looks very dense. Baguette style loaves are hard to do at home, at least for me. My boule styles, the dutch ovens give an amazing oven spring effect. I'm sure it was tasty but I think with some tweaking you could do a lot better. What was your ratio of things here? Did you weigh ingredients? Did you use a preferment stage, and how long was the bulk fermentation? Did you proof the loaves before they went in? Overall a good shot but I think there's room for improvement. Anybody that tries to make bread is good in my book I just want you to make bread that rivals anything you've ever had before :)

Afro Doug

how do you guys make coffee?

alnilam

Afro Doug posted:

I roast my own its really fun

then i usually do pour over in a basic <$10 pour over funnel

its good

joke_explainer

I love french press. The unique character of coffee made in a french press is my fav, and I also love just espresso. The most important thing is just freshly grinding the coffee, it should be ground immediately before your preparation, like seconds before the water is hitting it. Roasting your own is fun too!

alnilam

yeah french press is good too, it's different

it's like there are times I'm in the mood for french press and times I'm in the mood for paper filtered pour over, they're two different things... tbh I usually go for the latter but fp is real good too

om nom nom

I use one of these bad boys:

I do have a 12 cup drip brewer for when companies over or if I feel like guzzling coffee. For the most part though I'd rather brew one or two of these and have a couple of cups of incredibly strong and delicious espresso.

Edit: I also grind beans in the basic target electric grinder. Its perfect for grinding the beans nice and fine for the espresso maker. The thing was only like $20, totally worth it for fresher tasting coffee and getting to make it as fine as you want. The maker itself was probably around $20 too, maybe just under. I don't really remember but it's a p cheap way to make awesome strong coffee.

om nom nom fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jan 16, 2016

the unabonger

Afro Doug posted:

joke_explainer

om nom nom posted:

I use one of these bad boys:

I do have a 12 cup drip brewer for when companies over or if I feel like guzzling coffee. For the most part though I'd rather brew one or two of these and have a couple of cups of incredibly strong and delicious espresso.

Edit: I also grind beans in the basic target electric grinder. Its perfect for grinding the beans nice and fine for the espresso maker. The thing was only like $20, totally worth it for fresher tasting coffee and getting to make it as fine as you want. The maker itself was probably around $20 too, maybe just under. I don't really remember but it's a p cheap way to make awesome strong coffee.

I love stovetop espresso, the sound and smell of it is the best

Pomp

by Fluffdaddy
french press is the one true coffee, IMO

----------------

alnilam

let me talk a little bit about GRINDR

cheapo blade grinders are fine, esp. if you want to grind the gently caress out of it for espresso. but burr grinders are nice because they give you a much more consistent size after the grind. This is great for espresso, great for french press (you can grind coarsely without as many fine dusty grounds sludging up your coffe), great for anything

"but burr grinders are *checks amazon* like over a hundred dollars alnilam, what the gently caress"

yes, but here's my favorite burr grinder... it's simple, cheap compared to other burr grinders, very unlikely to break, you can take it travelling or camping (though not backpacking lol talk about waste of weight)

http://www.amazon.com/Porlex-Mini-Stainless-Coffee-Grinder/dp/B0044ZA066
http://www.amazon.com/Porlex-JP-30-Stainless-Coffee-Grinder/dp/B0002JZCF2
you can get either for $30ish on the amazon marketplace or $40 from amazon directly
the smaller one is great for 1 cup (even a 22oz cup) at a time
the larger one will get you a little more quantity, maybe a couple of cups worth

you turn it with your hand which is kinda fun, honestly it takes like 30 seconds for a cup's worth of grounds and it's kinda fun, turning the mill while the water boils is a nice part of my morning routine
i actually have the mini one at work and the big one at home; the mini one i used to have at home and it's not even a big deal to reload and mill again when making coffe for multiple people... you can even let each person grind their own so everyone takes part in the fun

you adjust the fineness by turning a screw on the bottom

uh that's all i like this coffe grinder and if you want a burr grinder but don't like the 100+ price tag, and knowing that the cheaper eelctric ones sometimes break anyway (there's a bodum one that's notorious for a plastic retaining ring breaking, my ex had one), get one of these it's really sturdy and simple and great
:coffeepal:

ty manifisto

Afro Doug

alnilam posted:

I roast my own its really fun

no kidding. how do you do it?

Afro Doug

also a blade grinder is not okay in any circumstance, ESPECIALLY for espresso. how dare you

joke_explainer

Afro Doug posted:

also a blade grinder is not okay in any circumstance, ESPECIALLY for espresso. how dare you

it's not ideal but it does work. i personally have a Breville BCG800XL, which is like loving amazing at grinding coffee. but have you ever compared it side by side with a burr grinder vs a blade grinder?, as long as it is freshly ground you get a pretty decent cup of coffee. the problem with blade grinders is just you don't necessarily get a very even grind, but for some applications that's not that important and consistency in the time and volume can still get you pretty reliably good results...

Afro Doug

from what i've heard is that with coffee you need to be very gentle. so a burr shaves off uniform slices of the bean, whereas a blade grinder brutishly pulverizes the coffee. side by side there's absolutely no question which is better. the only reason someone would use a blade grinder is if they wanted to make a drink with caffeine in it and nothing else.

joke_explainer

Afro Doug posted:

from what i've heard is that with coffee you need to be very gentle. so a burr shaves off uniform slices of the bean, whereas a blade grinder brutishly pulverizes the coffee. side by side there's absolutely no question which is better. the only reason someone would use a blade grinder is if they wanted to make a drink with caffeine in it and nothing else.

Yeah, a burr grinder will help you with consistency. But it's certainly not gentler on the bean or anything like that. I'd be curious if you could differentiate between cups in a double blind taste test -- the bigger difference was how freshly roasted the coffee was and how soon after grinding it was brewed. But I guess I'm heretical here. I just know you can get consistent results with a blade grinder as I did it for years, but the burr grinder is even more fool proof. Basically no pieces of coffe greater on size than the aperture can get through, so you have a more uniform result. But it's not a matter of bruising or roughing up the coffee AFAIK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The X-man cometh
Both types of grinders have metal cutters spinning at high speeds, I think they're both rough on the beans.