Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Pham Nuwen posted:

I want to just make a big compilation sometime, a collection of all their "buy a lovely car for cheap" challenges, because those are way more interesting to me than Jeremy Clarkson going around and around in the newest supercar talking about how good it sounds. More lovely Peugeots broken down on the side of the road, please.

This is one of the few times I will plug reddit, but somebody there made a pretty good list of these episodes: https://www.reddit.com/r/TopGear/comments/1j223w/a_top_gear_shortlist/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I'm so sorry :( He looks like a sweet cat. How long did he make it?

He was a bit over 17 years old. He was a very strong cat, more muscles than fat, but the past 18 months he had been losing weight and becoming frail.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
It really fucks with my head how different the interest rates are in north america. I financed a car last week at 5,1% effective rate, and that's a good rate here. My credit card (which I never use because my daily is a debit card as is the standard here) has a 19% rate, which isn't something anyone even bats an eye at. But on the other hand my mortgage is currently at 1,25%...

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Guys.

Guillermo Del Toro is turning some of the Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark books into a movie. :unsmigghh:

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Nidhg00670000 posted:

It really fucks with my head how different the interest rates are in north america. I financed a car last week at 5,1% effective rate, and that's a good rate here. My credit card (which I never use because my daily is a debit card as is the standard here) has a 19% rate, which isn't something anyone even bats an eye at. But on the other hand my mortgage is currently at 1,25%...

I'd love a 1.25% mortgage. Ours is 3.5% and that is a great rate. However, my auto loan is 3.94% and my credit card is somewhere around 12%.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Im doing it im finally doing it. Im going to the Continental Tire Road Race Showcase at Road America this year. Anyone ever been to a race up there? Where are the best places/corners to camp?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Nidhg00670000 posted:

Basically all credit cards in America are effectively 20-25% APR. There are a bunch of rotating promotion 0% stuff, but that's only for a year or so. Car rates are all over the map, like I got a 3 year loan for $5500 @ 1.49%. House mortgage rates are at an all time low, but there's a bunch of other factors (PMI, property taxes, term length, etc) that are not represented at all by the straight up interest rate.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
I woke up at 6am and drove 4.5 hours to buy another project Rx-7 (FD). I think I have a disease.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

the spyder posted:

I woke up at 6am and drove 4.5 hours to buy another project Rx-7 (FD). I think I have a disease.
You mean you bought it from 14"?

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

InitialDave posted:

You mean you bought it from 14"?

I can't recall what area he works in, but I was spitting distance from him. Haha.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

All this credit talk got me wondering about my credit score. I started late and didn't get a CC until I was 24 because meh effort, and I was fortunate enough to not need credit. Finally I realized that I should probably build credit somehow because I don't have student loans or car loans etc. I got an Amex via Costco and a Visa with my bank and started using them. I try to load as much of my purchases on the Visa as possible, since it does cash back. I pay them in full always every month.

This thread got me thinking and it appeared my amex gives me free credit reports. I logged into the site and it says my credit is 813 out of 850. Does that sound right? Seems awfully high for just ~6yrs of history. Do those free reports weigh tricky in favor of the customer or something?

I'm bad at knowing certain adult things. :sweatdrop:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Sounds right. It's a decent credit history length, you're not over leveraged, you've been on time, and you don't have recent hard hits against your history. The rule of thumb is that 650 is decent enough to not get put over a barrel on financial instruments, 700 guarantees a low rate (but not the lowest), 750+ is all various levels of dick measuring.

I had a 729 from having a $600 limit credit card from Bank of America for 5 or 6 years and paying off the statement balance every month on time and in full. At the beginning of 2012, my total credit line was $1000 ($600 BoA, $400 Gap that I never touched because it went straight into the shredder). I think everything combined right now, my total credit line is just barely over $30k. It's dumb.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

You'll be sorry you made fun of me when Daddy Donald jails all my posting enemies!
I like credit karma for being free, but the junk mail does get annoying.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
If you were considering a RWD project car of dubious reliability: FC RX-7 or Porsche 944? Two of the sexiest looking sports cars of my youth that I still have a throbbing boner for, both pretty obtainable

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Definitely the rotary, hands-down no contest.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

PaintVagrant posted:

If you were considering a RWD project car of dubious reliability: FC RX-7 or Porsche 944? Two of the sexiest looking sports cars of my youth that I still have a throbbing boner for, both pretty obtainable

FC is alot easier to obtain for $1,000, you can even get a rustfree example if you're lucky :v:

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
A70 Supra also an option in this list of angular early 90s cars.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

PaintVagrant posted:

A70 Supra also an option in this list of angular early 90s cars.

Aren't 7M's kind of poo? I've never been in contact with one but nobody seems to like them very much, plus there's the head bolt thing. Unless you can get a hold of a 1JZ equipped model somehow.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

drat dude. Just sold my old Fisher tower speakers on CL to this chill rear end dude. He just knocked on my door saying he lost his cellphone. We went from my doorway to my friend's truck to his loving room. poo poo was not here. I hate losing phones it's sich a PITA.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Seems to be the dead old celebrity's month.

R.I.P. Grizzly Adams (Dan Haggerty). 74 y.o., yet another gently caress Cancer though.

I wonder if we were able to jump back 100 or so years and take today's medical diagnostics with us, what percentage of deaths were from cancer? I bet it was pretty high, and they just called them all 'natural causes'.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

So D&D has a thread that's talking about self-driving cars. (I know, D&D is terrible, etc....)
Why the gently caress is it that every single time self driving cars get brought up someone always jumps in to talk about how fantastic they'll be, and how they'll solve all traffic problems, and individual vehicle ownership will be a thing of the past and (TECHNOBABBLE INTENSIFIES)

Like, I think self driving cars will be cool in the sense that I can turn on autopilot and nap in traffic, but I really have a hard time seeing them having a real huge impact. At least not for a few decades.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Super Aggro Crag posted:

to his loving room

That's one way to make money

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

leica posted:

The crash didn't look that bad to me at the time, so it took me by surprise. I was at Daytona for probably every race in the 90's, was there when he won the 500 in '98 and met him the day after he won the race when they were putting his car on display in the museum. I just couldn't fathom that he was killed there, which was my favorite place in the world at the time. Daytona was our Valhalla. I wasn't there that day, but I knew lots of people that were and they were all in shock, total disbelief.

But you're right about his death being the end of an era, I rarely watch NASCAR races now and have only been to Daytona a few times since.

I don't remember what his crash looked like but the one I witnessed in 2003 that caused a basal skull fracture didn't look at that bad. It was an amateur stock car race and it looked like all the roll bars and everything held up well.... regardless....
Pretty traumatic, and I will always sing the praises of head & neck restraints.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
On a different note, adopting senior dogs is great :)
If you can't adopt you can always foster...a lot of shelters have a "kennel break" program for dogs to go home for a few days.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

CharlesM posted:

I don't remember what his crash looked like but the one I witnessed in 2003 that caused a basal skull fracture didn't look at that bad. It was an amateur stock car race and it looked like all the roll bars and everything held up well.... regardless....
Pretty traumatic, and I will always sing the praises of head & neck restraints.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXGKys62TXw&t=206s

It looks pretty gentle compared to the big flipping wrecks, until you realize they're doing about 160; he hit at about a 45 degree angle, so if you math out the velocity vector perpendicular to the wall that's equivalent to about a 113mph head-on impact.

It's sad, but at least it catalyzed NASCAR safety reforms, like the similar situation in F1 with Senna; there's been no deaths in the Cup races in the 15 years since. (For comparison, there were 6 deaths in the 15 years preceding.)

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

ExplodingSims posted:

So D&D has a thread that's talking about self-driving cars. (I know, D&D is terrible, etc....)
Why the gently caress is it that every single time self driving cars get brought up someone always jumps in to talk about how fantastic they'll be, and how they'll solve all traffic problems, and individual vehicle ownership will be a thing of the past and (TECHNOBABBLE INTENSIFIES)

Like, I think self driving cars will be cool in the sense that I can turn on autopilot and nap in traffic, but I really have a hard time seeing them having a real huge impact. At least not for a few decades.

Whenever (or if ever) self driving cars happen in a big way, you should rejoice. You already have a license and know how to drive a vehicle. There will be a point beyond which the overwhelming majority of each new generation of people will have no idea how to do it and the number of self-drivers will reduce - and this is great. People are idiots and getting stupider, drivers are getting worse as safety features become more coddling and distractions become more pervasive. It'll take the dumb fucks out of the equation and make driving a far more pleasant experience for you and everyone else in the same boat as you. Imagine all the dumb poo poo you see on your commute reduced to nothing. All of those fucks who change lanes without indicating, the ones who don't notice the light is green because they're on facebook, the ones who casually attempt to murder you if you're on a bike - all gone. It'll be wonderful.

It'll take decades because all the poors will still have to drive themselves until self driving models get cheap enough for everyone to have one.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

PaintVagrant posted:

I found the 944 to be a much better driver's car out of the box. The FC only had ok pedal ergonomics. The steering was a bit overboosted and really paled in comparison to the 944's.
My FC turbo was scary in the good way when you let it get past 5k. Haven't driven a 951 or higher hp 944.
I dunno if this matters to or affects you, but FCs with rear seats aren't common in the US.

I wasn't expecting it, the 90s Japanese car actually had way more electrical issues.

The 944 is one of a few cars that I would get another example of.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

You know what's just loving awesome? Getting woken up at 1AM because the smoke detector in our bedroom false alarmed. No, it's cool, I'll get over this cold without sleeping.

2016: death by a thousand papercuts

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I thought you got rid of all the Nest Protects? :v:

(but seriously, hope you feel better...)

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Jan 16, 2016

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Slavvy posted:

Whenever (or if ever) self driving cars happen in a big way, you should rejoice.

I agree in theory, but I disagree in practice. I don't trust any major automaker to write sensible code for an ECU, just look at the unintended acceleration Toyota thing (I realize that is usually floor mats, but the investigation into the ECU workings was scary to say the least) and the Jeep RCE that happened recently. If they can't write embedded stuff in a structured, secure, and safe way, why would we expect them to take self driving cars seriously?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Raluek posted:

If they can't write embedded stuff in a structured, secure, and safe way, why would we expect them to take self driving cars seriously?

It's easy to doubt Google as an outsider to the whole car-making business, but at least they know software.
The numbers probably aren't apples to apples, but still revealing: http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/google-self-driving-cars-log-more-miles-with-lower-rate-of-incidents-report-says.html

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

kimbo305 posted:

It's easy to doubt Google as an outsider to the whole car-making business, but at least they know software.
The numbers probably aren't apples to apples, but still revealing: http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/google-self-driving-cars-log-more-miles-with-lower-rate-of-incidents-report-says.html

I'm not holding my breath that google cars will be commercially available; they're probably just going to kick the pants of the actual auto makers until they do something rash. Google doesn't even make phones (didn't they sell Motorola shortly after buying them?). Maybe there will be some CarOS thing that other brands run (like the current Android situation) but I doubt the automakers would go for that, either.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

3 years. So yeah, at least in the business world, that's almost instant. And they took a huge hit when they sold them (about $10bn). No telling what the patents were worth to Google though, and it's likely they had at least a little bit of input on the Moto X and Moto G lines, and Google still dictates how the Nexus line is supposed to be built, even if they're outsourcing it.

But if Google walks up to investors and opens up a giant garbage bag and says "hey we need money for a project", they'll happily empty their Scrooge McDuck style vaults into those bags all day.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

ExplodingSims posted:

Because people are loving stupid and the morons trying to push this poo poo are not telling the truth on exactly how far from reality their promises are. The big reason why I wont have a bar of it is because I'm a sys admin and I see what fuckups happen with code all the bloody time - even some of the best inspected and tested code goes horribly wrong. Yes, people are bad at driving in the main but they can handle potholes.

And trust car companies or Google to get it right? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, they have a long line of fuckups to prove neither should be allowed near this.

And just wait until an autonomous car gets a couple of years old. Yeaaaaaaaah good luck with that.

You Am I posted:

He was a bit over 17 years old. He was a very strong cat, more muscles than fat, but the past 18 months he had been losing weight and becoming frail.

Well gently caress. Condolances. I wish our furry friends could live a lot longer.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

a week ago i pulled my back after slipping on a patch of ice and falling down the steps as my dog yanked me mid air in chase of a squirrel. It was finally getting better, then yesterday my wife's car died in the middle of the carpark and i didn't realize it was on a hill when i tried to push it so i over strained and it was kind of sore, then I managed to get it started and parked and when i walked in the door my 60lb dog jumped in my arms and hosed my back up the rest of the way.

my dog is an rear end in a top hat

also if the service traction and service esc lights came on in a Pontiac G6 and the car wouldn't start and before it died it quit making power to the point that it couldn't get up a little hill, what do you guys reckon that is? I'm guessing it's the battery finally giving out or potentially a spark plug, my father in law says he thinks its the fuel filter.

It started about half an hour later and seemed to run fine but i told my wife not to drive it for now just in case.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Preoptopus posted:

Im doing it im finally doing it. Im going to the Continental Tire Road Race Showcase at Road America this year. Anyone ever been to a race up there? Where are the best places/corners to camp?
Was going to reply in the race thread but this one works. For watching racing I really enjoyed sitting at Canada or the Carousel, 5 also sees a lot of action. Actual camping...no clue but inside Carousel seems like it would be good.

the spyder posted:

That was a pretty awesome post, some lovely parts but awesome. Can't believe you got loving rear ended

PaintVagrant posted:

RX-7 or buy my 928 Goon price $4k obo, I just want it gone But if it was me I'd be picking up a 944S2 because they are really great cars.

ExplodingSims posted:

Short Answer: Because people are stupid. Sure they'll help with things but until the majority of cars are self driving and working with each other they really aren't going to have that much of an impact, they'll spend most of their time avoiding distracted drivers.

CharlesM posted:

On a different note, adopting senior dogs is great :)
If you can't adopt you can always foster...a lot of shelters have a "kennel break" program for dogs to go home for a few days.

Been watching for senior dogs in the area and have Mom watching for retired show dogs. Puppies are awesome but a TON of work, a lazy older dog is perfect.

Just listed a few things on Craigslist with a bunch more to list today and this weekend. Any bets on how many guns, drugs or other random stupid things I'll be offered?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

ExplodingSims posted:

Self driving cars are still at least 30 years away, not including how many billions of dollars it will cost to change the infrastructure in order to support it. The amount of accidents those loving cars get into is hilarious once you read up on it.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
They can't even get trains to run themselves correctly and they have to follow a specified route. If they can't make a train run a specified piece of track over the same course over and over again, I really don't have faith they can make a car get it right

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

BrokenKnucklez posted:

They can't even get trains to run themselves correctly and they have to follow a specified route. If they can't make a train run a specified piece of track over the same course over and over again, I really don't have faith they can make a car get it right

Different "they"s with different agendas...

Tusen Takk posted:

Self driving cars are still at least 30 years away, not including how many billions of dollars it will cost to change the infrastructure in order to support it. The amount of accidents those loving cars get into is hilarious once you read up on it.

Where have you seen reports of accidents involving self-driving cars where the fault is with the self-driving car and not a human?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Weirdest poo poo just happened.
Went to buy booze, felt like drinking a cheap bourbon, they had nothing on sale (sometimes there's a $40 whiskey for $35 - but they just had $50 whiskeys for $45).
So I bought the cheapest non sale whiskey, old crow for $35. First time in my life I have ever bought it too.

I came home and found a dying crow at my table. Looks poisoned or has a fatal virus, it's all flopping around but can't stand or move it's wings.
Where are it's friends? Googling told me crows/raven mate for life and it's mates "hold funerals"

• Locked thread