Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

hahaha modern is garbage

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
Also I'm surprised Lantern Control wasn't smacked down. Not that it's super popular or anything but I'd have thought that a deck that makes your opponent want to slit their wrists to escape the boredom would be on their radar.

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

ThePeavstenator posted:

Wow WotC handles a leak without incident amazing

That was honestly my biggest takeaway from the situation. Kinda glad to see twin and bloom go, though.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Alris posted:

Also I'm surprised Lantern Control wasn't smacked down. Not that it's super popular or anything but I'd have thought that a deck that makes your opponent want to slit their wrists to escape the boredom would be on their radar.

Not a big enough problem yet.

I patiently await bitching about Jund kicking everyone's asses.

aborn
Jun 2, 2001

1, 2, woop! woop!

Fiend Computer posted:

hahaha modern is garbage

It really is, jesus loving christ. It's anti-legacy.

muon
Sep 13, 2008

by Reene
Lmao the two decks I own are twin and bloom. Fantastic

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Alris posted:

It's not good at all and I think the time it takes to win is pretty exaggerated. Once the lock is in place turns are very quick and they can just mill you out.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Alris posted:

Also sorry Mikujin, for what it's worth I still love you.

I'm gonna try running four main deck explore and see what the deck can do. Definitely leans harder on Azusa now.

If nothing else, I thought of maybe getting into twin but this is wotc's divine way - coupled with their PR issues - of telling me to sell out and just cube.

Also: grishoalbrand not banned in any facet? loving lol.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Get ready!

suicidesteve posted:

So uh, what good deck actually beats Tron at this point? Burn maybe sometimes and.... infect I guess?

BR Eldrazi. Crumble to Dust > Oblivion Sower = WHO'S PLAYING TRON NOW, FUCKER

whateverfor
Jul 23, 2007
fuck you sped

suicidesteve posted:

So uh, what good deck actually beats Tron at this point? Burn maybe sometimes and.... infect I guess?

None of them. But see, we're "opening format diversity" so it doesn't matter. All those non-viable control decks that lost to everything under the sun will be free from under the heel of twin! Can't loving wait for the "diverse" Pro Tour with 6 different goldfishing non-interactive decks because that's so much better!

I'm loving done with modern, everytime there's a decent fair deck everyone flocks towards it who doesn't want to play combo, and then if it's actually playable it eats a ban for "meta percentage" reasons. Because 1 combo-control deck at 10% is obviously so much worse than 5 combo-aggro decks at ~30%.

At least with Standard the rotations are announced ahead of time instead of this bullshit.

(for context, the five decks I've played the past ~14 months in modern are Ascendancy Combo, U/R Delver, Pod, Amulet, and Twin. I expected Amulet and Cruise to eat bans, so I had back-up decks ready. But there's no way to have a playable modern deck and be safe, so what's the point over playing Standard?)

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
Surprised they actually hit Twin to be honest, I thought that was supposed to be "the" example of a combo deck since it couldn't go off before turn 4.

I guess WoTC wants to shake the format up and see if other combo decks will fill the massive gap?

Tailfnz
Oct 13, 2011

I'm delightfully forgettable.
loving hilarious. Half my local meta just probably threw their decks out in anger. Time for my Infect to fuckin' SHINE. :rms:

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Tailfnz posted:

loving hilarious. Half my local meta just probably threw their decks out in anger. Time for my Infect to fuckin' SHINE. :rms:

Living end lols at infect.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

I wonder if that Knight of Reliquary combo deck will be a thing now.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I'm just curious what people will say now that "Loses to Splinter Twin" is irrelevant.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I hope this actually makes control a thing in modern like some people were saying.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Nice work banning one of the marquee cards from MM15.

whateverfor
Jul 23, 2007
fuck you sped

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I'm just curious what people will say now that "Loses to Splinter Twin" is irrelevant.

Loses to Tron/Eldrazi, as those are the new decks that will beat up all the crappy decks trying to do marginal-advantage synergy.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

kizudarake posted:

Living end lols at infect.

Isn't that just when you sideboard in a couple of Spell Pierces and the cheap graveyard hate of your choice?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Watch Tron win a loving tour

whateverfor
Jul 23, 2007
fuck you sped

Entropic posted:

I hope this actually makes control a thing in modern like some people were saying.

Control wasn't being held down by twin, Twin was the best matchup by far for controlling decks. Thrashing Twin was a huge part of why Grixis Control was playable earlier this year. People who absolutely need to play Snappy will still play control, but the decks won't actually be any good.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Get ready!

Look at this post.

Just look at it.

Beautiful.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

If you don't want your deck to banned, just play a bad deck guys. Come on.

whateverfor posted:

Control wasn't being held down by twin, Twin was the best matchup by far for controlling decks. Thrashing Twin was a huge part of why Grixis Control was playable earlier this year. People who absolutely need to play Snappy will still play control, but the decks won't actually be any good.

No, control is being held down by Tron. Just like pretty much every other deck.

Tailfnz
Oct 13, 2011

Ramos posted:

Isn't that just when you sideboard in a couple of Spell Pierces and the cheap graveyard hate of your choice?

Yeah, pretty much. Relic of Progenitus is a card, as it turns out.

e: Also, nobody plays Living End any more, at least not around me.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

i need to figure out how to sideboard way more heavily against infect and burn and try and do what i can for the next few months before my deck cops a ban too

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

UberJew posted:

i need to figure out how to sideboard way more heavily against infect and burn and try and do what i can for the next few months before my deck cops a ban too

My friend played 4 maindeck Platinum Angel, 4 maindeck Spellskite, and still lost most of his games to Infect.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

suicidesteve posted:

My friend played 4 maindeck Platinum Angel, 4 maindeck Spellskite, and still lost most of his games to Tron.

im the tron deck in this circumstance

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

UberJew posted:

im the tron deck in this circumstance

I meant he lost the games to Infect.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Did you play twin?

Tailfnz
Oct 13, 2011

UberJew posted:

Boarding against Infect is easy. Pryoclasm, in your case. Sweepers you're probably already playing will just poo poo all over it.

e: Infect is probably the most easily disrupted Aggro-Combo deck in the format, because literally everything dies to removal.

aborn
Jun 2, 2001

1, 2, woop! woop!
http://archive.wizards.com/Magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/feature/161b

So we can get Ponder and Preordain back, right WotC? :smug:

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Tailfnz posted:

Boarding against Infect is easy. Pryoclasm, in your case. Sweepers you're probably already playing will just poo poo all over it.

e: Infect is probably the most easily disrupted Aggro-Combo deck in the format, because literally everything dies to removal.

I'm actually pretty surprised no one ever runs Sudden Shock, but I guess it's not too useful outside of completely making GBS threads all over Infect.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Tailfnz posted:

tron mainboards either 3 or 4 pyroclasms but trust me, it does not actually help very much

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
RIP Twin and Bloom players, :lol: Wizards Digital. Maybe I should make an effort to actually get out and play Modern now that one of the most popular decks just ate it and another popular deck is severely kneecapped. Hopefully more Tron players move away from Emrakul so I can pit Mill against them and only lose to walkers, instead of walkers+graveyard shuffle.

Also has anyone checked on Orange Fluffy Sheep yet?

Entropic posted:

With the meta opening up for Tron it's finally Blue Tron's time to shine! :v:

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

A second plane has crashed into Urza's Tower

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

C-Euro posted:

With the meta opening up for Tron it's finally Blue Tron's time to shine! :v:

suicidesteve posted:

If you don't want your deck to banned, just play a bad deck guys. Come on.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

End of Life Guy posted:

A second plane has crashed into Urza's Tower

lmao

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
To draw from the Ban List chat, what tournaments are giving out that gorgeous Mucha-esque playmat someone shared earlier in here?

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca

PJOmega posted:

To draw from the Ban List chat, what tournaments are giving out that gorgeous Mucha-esque playmat someone shared earlier in here?
Star City Regionals in like 3 weeks the same weekend as the Pro Tour

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

PJOmega posted:

Regionals.

• Locked thread