Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

End of Life Guy posted:

A second plane has crashed into Urza's Tower

This is why I read this thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
So what are the odds that MTGO doesn't actually fix this bug and the next B&R announcement gets spoiled in exactly the same way?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Modern is poo poo, Wizards is poo poo

Long live Tron, let it run over this worthless shitpile of a format, I hope it makes people who aren't my friend quit Magic

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

suicidesteve posted:

If you don't want your deck to banned, just play a bad deck guys. Come on.

(yes it was probably a good deck then shut up)

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Long live Tron, let it run over this worthless shitpile of a format, I hope it makes people who aren't my friend quit Magic

Aren't you suppose to be quitting magic or some poo poo? Can you hurry up and do that?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Entropic posted:

So what are the odds that MTGO doesn't actually fix this bug and the next B&R announcement gets spoiled in exactly the same way?

Can I put odds over 100%?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

Might be a good time for me to get into Modern with infect.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Watch Tron win a loving tour

End of Life Guy posted:

A second plane has crashed into Urza's Tower

Good posts.

I have Tron built and was going to build Twin for Regionals but now I don't know what. Tron is probably going to have a giant target on its head now that is lost a couple of its worst matchups, though it gets a poo poo ton more sideboard room now. I have all the shocks+fetchs plus Snaps and Blood Moons and poo poo, but I've got nothing for Jund or Junk and there is a zero percent chance I buy Tarmogoyfs, so I don't know what to build.

I'm going to have to build Burn, aren't I.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

So is there any meaningful deck left in modern that isn't just "I will enact my gameplan more quickly/more completely than you" now

like any deck whose goal isn't just to play past the other guy

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

TheKingofSprings posted:

I still have most of two decks' worth of affinity sitting in my binder. Some acquaintances at an LGS a couple months ago kept waffling over whether to trade for the pieces or not. :evilbuddy:

Sometimes me being a lazy sack of poo poo about trading pays off. :3:

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Hellsau posted:

Good posts.

I have Tron built and was going to build Twin for Regionals but now I don't know what. Tron is probably going to have a giant target on its head now that is lost a couple of its worst matchups, though it gets a poo poo ton more sideboard room now. I have all the shocks+fetchs plus Snaps and Blood Moons and poo poo, but I've got nothing for Jund or Junk and there is a zero percent chance I buy Tarmogoyfs, so I don't know what to build.

I'm going to have to build Burn, aren't I.

Just play Tron because there's nothing that beats it aside from Infect and kinda sometimes burn so just have 15 sideboard cards for those decks.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
I'm really excited to see what kind of decks get brewed in the wake of Splinter Twin's departure. While I don't think there's some amazing control deck waiting in the wings, Twin has been stifling innovation on the Blue side of things for a long time now, because there was no real reason to innovate to replace a tier 1 deck.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

So will more people want to play Jund too? Because I still have a couple extra tarmogoyfs I'm too lazy to trade but will probably trade one of them for a good compressor I need for airbrushing. Or maybe campaign for north africa. :getin:

Aisar
Mar 20, 2006

Don't look at the Batman. The Batman will steal your soul.
lmao I tried so hard to defend Wizards re: modern but guess I look like a dumb rear end now

fuckkkkkkkk this poo poo

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Chill la Chill posted:

So will more people want to play Jund too? Because I still have a couple extra tarmogoyfs I'm too lazy to trade but will probably trade one of them for a good compressor I need for airbrushing. Or maybe campaign for north africa. :getin:

The deck that Jund preyed on just got banned and the deck it loses to horribly just lost its worst matchup.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

suicidesteve posted:

Just play Tron because there's nothing that beats it aside from Infect and kinda sometimes burn so just have 15 sideboard cards for those decks.

Yeah I'm just expecting the meta to go completely bananas like maindeck Blood Moons and Fulminators. Twin was keeping a lot of ridiculous poo poo down.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

I still have most of two decks' worth of affinity sitting in my binder. Some acquaintances at an LGS a couple months ago kept waffling over whether to trade for the pieces or not. :evilbuddy:

Sometimes me being a lazy sack of poo poo about trading pays off. :3:

I'm not impacted by this but gently caress I feel bad for my friend who took 3 months and like 200$ building it

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Niton posted:

I'm really excited to see what kind of decks get brewed in the wake of Splinter Twin's departure. While I don't think there's some amazing control deck waiting in the wings, Twin has been stifling innovation on the Blue side of things for a long time now, because there was no real reason to innovate to replace a tier 1 deck.

What possible innovation was being hampered under the dark shadow of Twin

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

suicidesteve posted:

The deck that Jund preyed on just got banned and the deck it loses to horribly just lost its worst matchup.

Although turn 3 tron is a bitch , 4x fulminator, commands, and other land hate just got more room in the 75. It's not a great matchup still, but it isn't so lopsided as people make it out to be.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Mono-green devotion.

Hellsau posted:

Yeah I'm just expecting the meta to go completely bananas like maindeck Blood Moons and Fulminators. Twin was keeping a lot of ridiculous poo poo down.

I was joking with my friend about maindeck Blood Moons in RUG Delver the other day. Except I was only half joking. And now I'm actually going to do it.

Edit:

Sickening posted:

Although turn 3 tron is a bitch , 4x fulminator, commands, and other land hate just got more room in the 75. It's not a great matchup still, but it isn't so lopsided as people make it out to be.

Yeah and none of it matters because they won game 1 and they're going to be on the play for game 3.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

suicidesteve posted:

drat I really don't play modern enough to know this. Maybe my shiny japanese emrakul will be worth a dual land now? :D

E: Oh I guess it is! Not a total loss.

I'm just trying to see what I need to build for PT honolulu this year. Wanna see if I can earn a free surf trip this time.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Prior to today, what was the draw to build a tempo or control blue deck that did not have the Twin combo?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Niton posted:

Prior to today, what was the draw to build a tempo or control blue deck that did not have the Twin combo?

Mindslaver lock and Ugin.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Oh poo poo, given that Twin no longer exists, my goofy Abzan combo deck where I just throw 4 Chords into a deck with both the Viscera Seer+Ghost Anafenza+Persist and Saffi Eriksdotter+Crypt Champion combos into a deck with no interaction might have a chance to not just die to a Twin on turn 4! Plus I can throw a few Seances in there.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
Holy poo poo. I never bought they would kill twin.

I'm stoked. gently caress twin.

Tim to finish building Knightfall combo.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Errant Gin Monks posted:

gently caress twin.

Agreed, although they still not unbanning anything is annoying.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Dreadbore can finally see some play!

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Jesus Christ I just realized what Wizards vision for Modern is

It's Yugioh

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Holy poo poo. I never bought they would kill twin.

I'm stoked. gently caress twin.

May you eat the turn 3 Karn for the rest of your loving days

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

TheKingofSprings posted:

It's Yugioh

May you eat the turn 3 Karn for the rest of your loving days

Urzas lands are next.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

TheKingofSprings posted:

It's Yugioh

Well if that's the case they can unban JTMS without any competition so we can have $300+ staples.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

So if your deck is strong enough to perform well, it might get banned out for being too good. Unless it's just good enough to slide under the radar for years by not running afoul of the fundamental turn of Modern, in which case it will get banned because Wizards gets bored of it?

The fundamental difference of legacy and modern isn't card pool. It's that you will never be able to buy into a deck and run that and get better at it and develop it over time

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Urzas lands are next.

You'll just come to hate Tron, then you'll hate on the thing that comes after Tron next.

It's your posting cycle.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Nehru the Damaja posted:

So if your deck is strong enough to perform well, it might get banned out for being too good. Unless it's just good enough to slide under the radar for years by not running afoul of the fundamental turn of Modern, in which case it will get banned because Wizards gets bored of it?

The fundamental difference of legacy and modern isn't card pool. It's that you will never be able to buy into a deck and run that and get better at it and develop it over time

Yea more or less, do too well and you're broken, do ok and you're 'boring. If you play Modern and win you're basically failing the magic community somehow.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
In an alternative universe, tron runs rampant and makes WotC realize that continuous bans are a never ending cycle. They then unban twin, and begin experimenting with other unbans to maintain a checks and balances system of power for modern. Then, modo gets a complete overhaul by programmers being paid a competitive wage.

Aisar
Mar 20, 2006

Don't look at the Batman. The Batman will steal your soul.
Twin owned, it was a cool deck that had a lot of depth and played a tempo game like no other tempo deck did by costing your opponent virtual tempo via forcing them to hold up mana, and now its dead, so that's cool, i guess we get to watch more people cast karn now??????

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

TheKingofSprings posted:

You'll just come to hate Tron, then you'll hate on the thing that comes after Tron next.

It's your posting cycle.

Oh I already hate tron it's why I switched from jund to burn.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

We were suppose to make fun of the lovely posts , not make them. :smith:

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

..got any kibble?
Real talk for a moment: Please don't pretend that Twin wasn't the first or second thing on everyone's mind when designing a deck and sideboard. The deck had fallen quite a bit from its peak, but the card Splinter Twin is enormously powerful and demands answers every single time it gets cast.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Nehru the Damaja posted:

WOTC has a track record of showing us they're incompetent at managing their game, and pretty much everything else. They're good at generating hype and printing money, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Niton posted:

Real talk for moment: Please don't pretend that Twin wasn't the first or second thing on everyone's mind when designing a deck and sideboard. The deck had fallen quite a bit from its peak, but the card Splinter Twin is enormously powerful and is capable of dragging players out of completely unreasonable holes.

That was why I hated it so much. I had to plan to play twin all the time. If a steam vents was dropped I had to stop playing for 3 turns to make sure I had removal for one lovely card in order not to automatically lose.

It was format defining. Tron, while lovely, can be fought in a myriad of ways and with decks tuned to ensure the land hate is there it won't dominate the meta like twin did.

• Locked thread