Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Woolie Wool posted:

Who is kind to the peasantry in Witcherverse? Does it really matter if you pay taxes to Radovid, Philip Strenger, or the Nilfgaardian army if the consequences for not paying are largely the same? This was true in the real-life medieval era too. Nationalism wasn't really a thing because peasants had no reason to care who ruled over them because the rulers were basically interchangeable assholes. Congratulations, random French peasant, you're a subject of England now! Only the English lords are the same sort of dicks as the French lords and this is 1350 so they all speak French anyway.

However, both the baron and the Nilfgaardians have the advantage to a peasant of not setting you on fire for having a lucky charm.

Foltest was pretty good at looking out for the little guy I think. Radovids father, Vizimir was also famous for establishing fair laws and poo poo, and Radovid was fairly reasonable too. Until he went crazy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Foltest was pretty good at looking out for the little guy I think. Radovids father, Vizimir was also famous for establishing fair laws and poo poo, and Radovid was fairly reasonable too. Until he went crazy

Yeah, that's the flaw in this whole dichotomy. Nilfgaard are monstrous, murderous, warmongering shits with an emperor who very strongly believes in ruling through fear and force. They only look good compared to Radovid because Radovid is no longer a rational actor - he's a brilliant strategist and tactician who nevertheless is in the middle of a Caligula-esque downward spiral and he's dragging his entire country down with him. Half the reason he was able to out-maneuver so many people trying to oust or manipulate him is because he's become too bugfuck nuts to properly predict.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Action Tortoise posted:

dunno about everyone else, but the toughest fight i had early on was with letho. it was the only time i had to drink some potions and spam bombs to scrape by. i learned on the second playthrough that aard removes his shield and stunlocks him enough to get some free hits. as for the plot: everyone's trying to take control of the pontar valley and letho plays them all for chumps while getting paid by emhyr. emhyr gets a territory that's softened up by all the political unrest.

Yeah, Witcher II starts out rough but comes together quite nicely in the later parts of the game, both in terms of story and gameplay. In fact, when you finally find out what Letho's deal is, it's almost disappointingly mundane.

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Woolie Wool posted:

Another minor Witcher bitcher: the witcher school gear is cool and all but it kind of sucks all the suspense and fun out of climbing the RPG loot ladder, as none of the random loot will be better than your current Griffin or Cat gear until just before the next upgrade, if at all.

I never understood this either. Why even put random loot in a game when it is literally impossible for it to be as good as the witcher school gear? Why the different rarity levels? Orange items are "slightly worse", yellows are "much worse", and down at the white level no one would ever in a million years use one. They even break down into the same components for crafting, so..?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I just disliked thr fact that your best option is either "More competent/evil Tywin Lanister" or "Bugfuck mc pants on head" the latter of whom wants to burn alive anyone who looks magic and might have said something bad about him.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Josef bugman posted:

I just disliked thr fact that your best option is either "More competent/evil Tywin Lanister" or "Bugfuck mc pants on head" the latter of whom wants to burn alive anyone who looks magic and might have said something bad about him.

You can also get Ciri on the throne, but Emhyr wants that anyway. Even when he loses, he wins.

The only other decent option is Djikstra, but you have the let the grandstanding douchebag kill Roche and I owed that guy way too many favors to bail on him.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The spritework in Undertale could be better and more consistent. The writing and music is Ace but there's no need to hold back with the graphics. Sometimes you run into shop-keepers who are lovingly drawn and animated, and other times you're navigating through a botched mobile Final Fantasy port. I can't recall a single ugly image from Mother 3 which this harks from.

Inspector Gesicht has a new favorite as of 21:13 on Jan 11, 2016

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The spritework in Undertale could be better and more consistent. The writing and music is Ace but there's no need to hold back with the graphics. Sometimes you run into shop-keepers who are lovingly drawn and animated, and other times you're navigating through a botched mobileFinal Fantasy port. I can't recall a single ugly image from Mother 3 which this harks from.

There's definitely a bunch of sprites that look like they were developed way back in the demo phase and then never updated. Most of them disappear by the time you leave the game's second zone, but it's still a jarring contrast.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Which ones are you guys thinking of? I'm drawing a blank here. :confused:

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Xoidanor posted:

Which ones are you guys thinking of? I'm drawing a blank here. :confused:

The overworld sprites are never amazing but I recall them being especially flat and plain in the ruins and leading up to snowdin.

I don't mind the simplistic battle sprites because they're all so smoothly animated and expressive that it's a worthy trade off of having detailed but static sprites like Earthbound.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
The boss fights in Renowned Explorers can be pretty annoying. Most combat in the game isn't that hard or annoying, but most (not all) the boss battles tend to have the following traits:

- The boss is the central goal
- The boss has some sort of immunity or takes-less-damage-from-X trait
- There's usually twice the amount of other generic enemies (6) than members of your team (3)
- More generic enemies appear every other turn or so.

Like, if I could just gang up on the random mooks each turn and thin their numbers out before dealing with the boss, it'd be a lot more tolerable. Instead they become fights of attrition where I'm hopefully taking down enough enemy mooks fast enough to counteract the replenishment (which isn't too easy since I'm usually relying on at least one guy to heal), failing or barely scraping by at it, to say nothing of the boss. :sigh:

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Oxxidation posted:

You can also get Ciri on the throne, but Emhyr wants that anyway. Even when he loses, he wins.

The only other decent option is Djikstra, but you have the let the grandstanding douchebag kill Roche and I owed that guy way too many favors to bail on him.

I'm guessing "restore Temeria with King Vernon I of the House of Roche" isn't an option. If I could pick anyone to clean up the North's mess it would be him. :smith:

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I don't think bobbing up and down slightly makes up for looking like garbage. It looks worse than the nes earthbound

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Pretty sure that the sprites are inconsistent because there were a number of different artists who did them. Like, off the top of my head the first rabbit shopkeeper and the cat/alligator(?) shopkeeper are of wildly different qualities.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Except it literally does because the comment was talking about low drop rates and people were talking about games increasing drop rates?

A bit late but it really doesn't. Drop rate items are usually like "Increases by 1%" if they even tell you the percent meanwhile you're lucky if the rare item drops have a 10% chance of dropping. In really, really lovely grindy games you're looking for items with less than a one percent chance to drop, and what's one percent of 0.5%? I don't loving know but it's not a very noticeable increase.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

rodbeard posted:

I don't think bobbing up and down slightly makes up for looking like garbage. It looks worse than the nes earthbound

Different strokes and all but I found even their idle states to be really charming and expressive :shrug:

I can't really fault the game because rather than being a crutch or an empty nostalgic callback it's obviously a deliberate style and serves a narrative function; the battle screen isn't an abstraction but is treated as being a real thing by many of the character, and in the meta sense using the pixel graphics makes the parts in the ending where the game bleeds over into the "real" world stand out that much more.

Morpheus posted:

Pretty sure that the sprites are inconsistent because there were a number of different artists who did them. Like, off the top of my head the first rabbit shopkeeper and the cat/alligator(?) shopkeeper are of wildly different qualities.

Toby Fox and Temmie Chang did all the monster and character artwork in the game. Everdraed did the end boss.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
Papyrus doesn't animate in battle at all! Not one lousy frame (in pacifist, he has a 'takes damage' and 'dying' animation)!

I know you can animate Papyrus, :shittydog:, he was great during the dating scene! He's literally the only encounter that doesn't animate.

vvvv Her facial expressions at least count as animations (or at least sprite changes) in my book. I'm mad about animations :arghfist::corsair:

Evilreaver has a new favorite as of 07:12 on Jan 12, 2016

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Evilreaver posted:

Papyrus doesn't animate in battle at all! Not one lousy frame (in pacifist, he has a 'takes damage' and 'dying' animation)!

I know you can animate Papyrus, :shittydog:, he was great during the dating scene! He's literally the only encounter that doesn't animate.

Toriel doesn't either, but I think that's intentional, to avoid distracting from her facial expressions.

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay
I'm not a huge fan of the lack of outlines on the player character sprite, when literally every other character has a little black outline.

And even though this is a gripe thread, I just feel compelled to say how goddamn cool the amalgamates were from a design standpoint.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Phlegmish posted:

Yeah, Witcher II starts out rough but comes together quite nicely in the later parts of the game, both in terms of story and gameplay. In fact, when you finally find out what Letho's deal is, it's almost disappointingly mundane.

letho, like most of the other named witchers, are just foils to bounce off geralt. he's just geralt without compassion.

Woolie Wool posted:

I'm guessing "restore Temeria with King Vernon I of the House of Roche" isn't an option. If I could pick anyone to clean up the North's mess it would be him. :smith:

i'm really hoping some dlc comes out that picks up what happened to saskia and iorveth. she didn't die in either ending so she's still probably out and about.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Action Tortoise posted:

letho, like most of the other named witchers, are just foils to bounce off geralt. he's just geralt without compassion.

i'm really hoping some dlc comes out that picks up what happened to saskia and iorveth. she didn't die in either ending so she's still probably out and about.

The Dev who posts in the Witcher thread, Comte, said they've been cut from the dlc. I think he worked on one of their sections, which sucked.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Battlefield 4: As a commander you can have the option to call in an missile strike if your team holds a certain point. And my god, could this missile be launched and travel any loving slower? You have to predict where someone will be 2 minutes from the time you launch it and it has such a limp explosion that you pretty much have to drop the missile right on top of someone. Then you have to wait another 5 minutes to use it again. Doesn't help that most people camp inside buildings that you can't blow up and good luck directly hitting any armor.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
The vehicles in Dead Rising 3 are great but every other street is barricaded so each district basically has one actual route to drive through that takes longer than just going on foot and climbing over the barricades in the first place.

Also Nick Ramos is a really bland protagonist, which is a shame because Frank West and Chuck Greene were both funny and had lots of personality. Though it is nice to have a game with a Latino protagonist that isn't a gangbanger or a luchador.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sleeveless posted:

The vehicles in Dead Rising 3 are great but every other street is barricaded so each district basically has one actual route to drive through that takes longer than just going on foot and climbing over the barricades in the first place.

Also Nick Ramos is a really bland protagonist, which is a shame because Frank West and Chuck Greene were both funny and had lots of personality. Though it is nice to have a game with a Latino protagonist that isn't a gangbanger or a luchador.

I started liking Nick more when I realized he behaves more like a normal person stuck in that situation would versus Frank and Chuck's more outlandish attitude.

And to be fair Frank wasn't wise cracking till Off the Record, he reacted pretty much like Nick did to a lot of the hosed up poo poo.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Witcher 3 is somehow buggier than Fallout 4 was for me and that is mindblowing to me. Most of it is related to horses and weather. The crafting is tedious and the combat is okay at best and dogshit and frustrating for the first like eight hours. It's still super good though it's amazing how that works out.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
I don't get all the people complaining about Witcher 3 combat, what's so bad about it? I like it.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

You can't block until you've locked into an enemy. You can't lock onto an enemy until combat starts. Combat does t start until the enemy is three feet in front of your face. All this combined means I started out most combat scenarios by getting hit.

Geralt is a dancer first and a combatant second. Even his light attacks cause him to pirouette around, only ever giving you enough time to attack once before enemies start dodging or blocking.

There's no indicator whether your crossbow is reloaded or not. Because of this I would go to shoot something only to find I cancelled my reload animation earlier by dodging so it never finished. This would cause me to get hit.

Dodging sucks. You have to invest skill points to get any semblance of use out of it.

Skill system is a disaster.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
Grappling in Dying Light is finicky at best, and suicide most of the rest of the time. Any time I think to use it is often a prelude to getting killed. It's not even useful, it's faster to chop their heads off anyway.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
All I ever did in Witcher 3 is mash attack and dodge+direction and that always worked out well. I invested all my skill points into heavy/light attack damage and similar ones in the red tree. gently caress arrows though they're absolutely useless.

And I really, really hate the boss wraiths where you have to use Yrden but it doesn't *really* trap them so they run away. Worst was in HoS in the hallway. That fight took me like 30 min because the stupid thing kept going into the paintings. Ugh I hate boss fights where if you don't do something, the boss runs away and gets full health back. I seem to remember a FF13 boss like this, maybe the barthandelus rear end in a top hat.

E: just remembered how in GTA 4 if you arrive at a destination too quickly it cuts off the conversation you're having so you don't get to hear the whole thing so I'd have to drive really slow to be able to get all of what they're saying. Or, if you crash your car, it cuts off the middle of the sentence, so again, you miss parts of the conversation. 5 fixed this by having them repeat the previous line if you crash. Then there's no checkpoints in 4 so if something happens (die, mess up) you have to go all the way to the beginning, BEFORE the mission start, which involves driving back to the quest start point, then usually driving all the way across the city to the actual quest location.. 4 was so good but thinking back I have no idea how I put up with that.

Did I already complain about no mission replay in some games? Because that sucks rear end too.

Thin Privilege has a new favorite as of 02:46 on Jan 16, 2016

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I've realized that basically any time Valkyria Chronicles requires the use of lancers is a bad time. It's not always because of the lancers, though.

It partly is, of course, because lancers are kinda the worst class. Their lances are inaccurate as hell, which is a problem since they're mostly required to be shooting at things like tanks that you don't want anyone to get close to. You're relying on the soldiers least likely to land an important shot to take out the most high-priority targets, and that's a problem at the best of times. The biggest problem is when you have to rely on them to take out things that aren't tanks, though, like the turrets on the Batomys, or the towers at Fort Ghirlandio, because at least tanks have a weak spot you can maneuver towards. For whatever reason non-tank lancer targets are built to take three or four hits, which is a massive problem for characters with poor accuracy and a maximum of three shots in one turn.

Theoretically, you could solve this problem with your tanks, because they do a lot of damage, are far more accurate, and capable of getting far closer to the danger. And that's true... of the first tank you get, the Edelweiss. The second tank, the Shamrock, is so weak and awful that it's rare you'll find a reason to move it at all over instead moving foot soldiers that are far more maneuverable and useful. The Shamrock's supposed to be nice and versatile, since you can switch out the main gun for different types of weapon, but the basic anti-armor shells are the only one you'll actually want to use. And since those shells are weaker than both the Edelweiss' and the lancer shots, you don't even want to use it for that.

Basically, I hate whenever Valkyria Chronicles uses the word 'armor'.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 04:21 on Jan 16, 2016

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Thin Privilege posted:

E: just remembered how in GTA 4 if you arrive at a destination too quickly it cuts off the conversation you're having so you don't get to hear the whole thing so I'd have to drive really slow to be able to get all of what they're saying. Or, if you crash your car, it cuts off the middle of the sentence, so again, you miss parts of the conversation. 5 fixed this by having them repeat the previous line if you crash. Then there's no checkpoints in 4 so if something happens (die, mess up) you have to go all the way to the beginning, BEFORE the mission start, which involves driving back to the quest start point, then usually driving all the way across the city to the actual quest location.. 4 was so good but thinking back I have no idea how I put up with that.

Did I already complain about no mission replay in some games? Because that sucks rear end too.

It's posts like these that help me appreciate how truly good of a game GTA 5 is.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

RyokoTK posted:

It's posts like these that help me appreciate how truly good of a game GTA 5 is.

I kept waiting for the actual gameplay to start. For hours I kept telling myself any minute now, this is going to be a GTA game and then it ended. I skipped over 4 because of how bad everyone said it was, but it must have been even worse than I assumed, if it made 5 look good in comparison. Like they even crippled the cheat codes so you couldn't just spawn in a tank and gently caress around like in the old days. For some reason Rockstar thought they had a compelling story to tell.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Things dragging GTA games down:

rodbeard posted:

Rockstar thought they had a compelling story to tell.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Byzantine posted:

Things dragging GTA games down:

New plan for Rockstar success: replace writing staff with 10 yr. old with adhd. Cheaper and better.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Avenging_Mikon posted:

New plan for Rockstar success: replace writing staff with 10 yr. old with adhd. Cheaper and better.

So Saint's Row then? Though I guess that's more middle schoolers.

From Earth
Oct 21, 2005

Cleretic posted:

Theoretically, you could solve this problem with your tanks, because they do a lot of damage, are far more accurate, and capable of getting far closer to the danger. And that's true... of the first tank you get, the Edelweiss. The second tank, the Shamrock, is so weak and awful that it's rare you'll find a reason to move it at all over instead moving foot soldiers that are far more maneuverable and useful. The Shamrock's supposed to be nice and versatile, since you can switch out the main gun for different types of weapon, but the basic anti-armor shells are the only one you'll actually want to use. And since those shells are weaker than both the Edelweiss' and the lancer shots, you don't even want to use it for that.

The nice thing about the Shamrock is that it can drive very far in a single turn, much farther than the Edelweiss. The correct way to use the Shamrock is to drive around other the tanks and shoot their radiators from the smallest possible distance (so that even the Shamrock's lovely cannon can't miss).

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

rodbeard posted:

I kept waiting for the actual gameplay to start. For hours I kept telling myself any minute now, this is going to be a GTA game and then it ended. I skipped over 4 because of how bad everyone said it was, but it must have been even worse than I assumed, if it made 5 look good in comparison. Like they even crippled the cheat codes so you couldn't just spawn in a tank and gently caress around like in the old days. For some reason Rockstar thought they had a compelling story to tell.

How can a post be so wrong? I have to wonder what GTA you are looking back on fondly where this isn't by far your favorite.

My irritation with GTAV: Let me drive my car I spent 50 grand on getting it just the way I want it, with the colors I want and everything, when I start a mission. Unless there is a good reason I'm not able to drive it after I drove the thing to you gently caress you let me use it! In fact while we're at it let me use a helicopter for missions too. I'm a good pilot I can land almost everywhere stop holding me back!

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I'm pretty sure your car just despawned. There's no reason to do anything special to cars in single player because in my experience the game easily loses them outside of garages, and even if I'm wrong or unlucky there's no insurance like in online so if you actually go the speeds you've upgraded it to handle it'll probably crash and then it's gone. The only exception is the PC's unique cars and Franklin's bike but that's only four vehicles, compared to online's any/every. And you can't just customise your favourite car in online instead because that not the game mode that gives you $50 million + stock market profits.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

AlphaKretin posted:

I'm pretty sure your car just despawned. There's no reason to do anything special to cars in single player because in my experience the game easily loses them outside of garages, and even if I'm wrong or unlucky there's no insurance like in online so if you actually go the speeds you've upgraded it to handle it'll probably crash and then it's gone. The only exception is the PC's unique cars and Franklin's bike but that's only four vehicles, compared to online's any/every. And you can't just customise your favourite car in online instead because that not the game mode that gives you $50 million + stock market profits.

Ya I get all that. And I'm talking single player here. It's not a despawning issue. If I have to drive a car because there's drugs in it or it has some utility I will need then by all means. But if i'm just driving one other character somewhere to do whatever then let me drive my loving car. Seriously it's one of my only annoyances with the game.

Edit: And no offense but you must not be a great driver just saying. I can get from the beach to Franklins house fast with barely a scratch.

Fragmented has a new favorite as of 11:03 on Jan 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Oh not just as in suggesting what happened, just as in it just happened then, because you drove away in another car, I was adding my own issues with the game. :)