Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Uroboros posted:

Full Circle snatched up my old Nids so I'll thank him here for helping to plug my 40k deficit.

Also, finished my last honor guard and honestly I'm glad. It's almost painful to put this much time into non-hero models.

I will post a group shot for oath and show this weekend.

Magnetized the head so he can act as a Champion incase I want to run two 5 mans as opposed to a single ten man.

Good lord. I am erect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
They are indeed beautiful.

Another question about Orks, possibly easier to answer - are there any trap units to avoid? e.g. No one fields Havocs for CSM since there's Obliterators, and you wouldn't field Warp Talons since there's Raptors.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie

Milotic posted:

Another question about Orks, possibly easier to answer - are there any trap units to avoid?

Yeah the Codex.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Killa Kans kinda suck. They used to be OK but the triple nerf in the new book really hurt them (points increase, worse CCW and a pseudo morale effect when one dies).

The G/Morkanauts suck unfortunately, combination of high points, oddly low transport capacity without the assault rule, and mediocre weapons make them more of a 'fun' option than a viable unit.

Most of the fancy Mek Guns aren't really worth it, it's usually best to stick with Kannons and Lobbas. Main exceptions are the Tractor Kannon if you know you're up against some nasty fliers, and possibly the Bubble gun versus hordes of lightly armoured guys.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
It seems to me if you are looking at it from a math perspective going with blast weapons as Orks is the way to go. The distance reduction on scatter doesn't seem to be nearly as big of a deal as rolling 5s and 6s to hit with normal guns. For instance Space Marine guns are going to hit twice as often as Ork guns, but space marine blasts are going to hit roughly the same because everyone is going to get a direct hit atleast 1/3rd of the time not factoring BS reduction, and that is only going to matter when you roll low scatter distances, most scatter rolls of 7 or higher mean you are going to miss regardless of your BS.

TheArmorOfContempt fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Jan 15, 2016

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Milotic posted:

They are indeed beautiful.

Another question about Orks, possibly easier to answer - are there any trap units to avoid? e.g. No one fields Havocs for CSM since there's Obliterators, and you wouldn't field Warp Talons since there's Raptors.

Sadly to play Orks and not get steam rolled you need to use the cheesiest, most beardy net lists you can find. If you use any of the sub-optimal or lol-random fun units you are likely to just get tabled in a few turns.

Off the top of my head the stuff worth considering:

Mega Nobz
Mega Armor Warboss (lucky stix)
Battle Wagons
Grotz as objective grabbers
Single Kopta Units to harass and act as bullet magnets
Buggies to move fast and screen your Wagons
Slugga Choppa boyz

I think that's about it. People who play orks can give you some better ideas, but orks are now kind of dull and very prone to getting their rear end kicked by nearly every other army in the game.

Que the cries of "There are no bad armies, just bad players". Play orks, then try playing Space Marines, it's like switching the game from Hard mode to Easy mode.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Indolent Bastard posted:

Sadly to play Orks and not get steam rolled you need to use the cheesiest, most beardy net lists you can find. If you use any of the sub-optimal or lol-random fun units you are likely to just get tabled in a few turns.

Off the top of my head the stuff worth considering:

Mega Nobz
Mega Armor Warboss (lucky stix)
Battle Wagons
Grotz as objective grabbers
Single Kopta Units to harass and act as bullet magnets
Buggies to move fast and screen your Wagons
Slugga Choppa boyz

I think that's about it. People who play orks can give you some better ideas, but orks are now kind of dull and very prone to getting their rear end kicked by nearly every other army in the game.

Que the cries of "There are no bad armies, just bad players". Play orks, then try playing Space Marines, it's like switching the game from Hard mode to Easy mode.

There are no bad armies, just bad players.

Bad playing starts at list building.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Boyz in trukks en masse, Big Gunz, Grot Bomb Launchas from forgeworld, MANs, biker boys, outflanking buggies, deffkoptas... all of those are pretty good tbh.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Naramyth posted:

Thank you.

:cool::hf::cool:

Lord Twisted posted:

Boyz in trukks en masse, Big Gunz, Grot Bomb Launchas from forgeworld, MANs, biker boys, outflanking buggies, deffkoptas... all of those are pretty good tbh.

I'd disagree with trukks, too fragile for the cost and don't move enough men across the board (especially after they blow up and kill the guys inside) but Gunz and Bikes are OK.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

:frogc00l::respek::frogc00l:

Pretty jacked for LVO. Playing a terrible BA drop pod army in both the Open and the Team event. I can't wait to pull my teammate's skyhammer/jetbike army that rocked Renegade and get kicked out of top 8. :v:

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Naramyth posted:

list building starts at army selection

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
Thanks for all the tips and pointers everyone. I know if I was looking to go competitive for my next army I'd go Tau, but having a look at some of the models, the helmetless Tau / ethereal are so crappy looking. The suits are gorgeous however. I'm also feeling the pull of Tyranids now. I think I have a problem with falling in love with bottom to middle tier armies, partly because they remind me of my childhood and second ed and lusting after the models and wondering what to buy with my pocket money.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

list building starts at army selection

:drat:

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Indolent Bastard posted:

Also, see sisters versus marines.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy
For those that are still interested - we are starting The Independent Characters up again in March. I'm organizing the recording schedule right now with guests and topics. I'm committed now to doing at least one year.

http://theindependentcharacters.com/blog/?p=3716

Squifferific
Oct 17, 2004
Proud user of machines that go "Ping!"

Ghost Hand posted:

For those that are still interested - we are starting The Independent Characters up again in March. I'm organizing the recording schedule right now with guests and topics. I'm committed now to doing at least one year.

This pleases me.

Germ
May 7, 2013

Ghost Hand posted:

Nice! Looking forwad to it.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

Will you be issuing challenges? :v:

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
aww hell yeah, thats awesome.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Great news Ghost Hand!

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER

Ghost Hand posted:

This is great! I've been missing the show and it's positive hobby energy!

Enentol
Jul 16, 2005
Middle Class Gangster
This is amazing news, but what caused the change of mind?

Either way, super awesome to have you guys back! I have hobby inspirado again!

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Ghost Hand posted:

:toot:
Now I guess I should listen to the two previous episodes I've missed.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
The best news.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Awesome news!

Did you manage to get Jordan to make your new theme yet? ;)

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

Ghost Hand posted:

I am a great guest. I know a fair bit about SW lore, Mechanicus lore/playing and Necrons.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

Milotic posted:

I know if I was looking to go competitive for my next army I'd go Tau, but having a look at some of the models, the helmetless Tau / ethereal are so crappy looking. The suits are gorgeous however.

I agree, but you can pretty much avoid using helmetless Tau models entirely. I feel the same way about Space Marines and their grotesque faces so I always model them with their helmets on. Don't buy Orks. It is likely that you will not have fun with them unless you are of a particular mindset and it's not worth spending hundreds of dollars just to find out that you are Not An Ork Player.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

LordAba posted:

Also, see sisters versus marines.

I was at an ETC qualifier playing against a sisters player who was convinced that I would walk away from the game with a renewed respect for the sisters. I was playing war convocation. I tabled him in turn 5.

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde

Phyresis posted:

I agree, but you can pretty much avoid using helmetless Tau models entirely. I feel the same way about Space Marines and their grotesque faces so I always model them with their helmets on. Don't buy Orks. It is likely that you will not have fun with them unless you are of a particular mindset and it's not worth spending hundreds of dollars just to find out that you are Not An Ork Player.

Thanks, what mindset? I love fielding cultist blobs and smashing them into tougher enemies and drowning them and tar pitting them.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

Milotic posted:

Thanks, what mindset? I love fielding cultist blobs and smashing them into tougher enemies and drowning them and tar pitting them.

The mindset of "I won't win, but can enjoy a defeat that includes some funny poo poo happening to my guys". If you don't think that the shock attack gun is the best and funniest thing ever, you may not enjoy the current incarnation of Orks.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

Enentol posted:

This is amazing news, but what caused the change of mind?

Either way, super awesome to have you guys back! I have hobby inspirado again!

I'll explain more in episode 129 but you can thank/blame Jason Mullins of The Overlords for kind of getting it all going. Then recording the "not an episode" made me remember how much fun it was.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Ghost Hand posted:

I recently started taking the bus in to work and have listened to a few of your old episode. Very highly excited to hear you're coming back.

Sulecrist
Apr 5, 2007

Better tear off this bar association logo.

Ghost Hand posted:

Jesus Christ I miss you guys so much. I haven't listened to the final episode because I didn't want it to be over (listened to the Not An Episode though!). You coming back is going to be so good for my hobby / bad for my wallet. I'm putting in a 1-Carl (free-shipping-tier) FW order today in celebration.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I'm stoked to have the ICs back!

I just got back from Prague, and I checked out a really cool game store called Ogre's Den. Since Warhams stuff doesn't get translated into Czech, everything is in English there, and they had like every BL novel imaginable as well as games and models from every system you could really think of. The level of painting and modeling on display in their cabinets was pretty solid too. The folks were super friendly and welcomed me to come back to play a game or paint there, but it being a short trip with my girlfriend, I wasn't gonna drag her back there while I played with mandollies. Here's some pictures of the place:

They had a map campaign going on:

There was also a dude slowly working on a gargant:

There were some gothic as gently caress cathedrals:

And grimdark Disneyland at the Sedlec Ossuary:

There's at least 40,000 skeletons there :skeltal:

Bonus Black Templar chapel barracks and Sigismund:

That concludes Grimdark Tours, have a skelly day

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

SRM posted:

I'm stoked to have the ICs back!

I just got back from Prague, and I checked out a really cool game store called Ogre's Den. Since Warhams stuff doesn't get translated into Czech, everything is in English there, and they had like every BL novel imaginable as well as games and models from every system you could really think of. The level of painting and modeling on display in their cabinets was pretty solid too. The folks were super friendly and welcomed me to come back to play a game or paint there, but it being a short trip with my girlfriend, I wasn't gonna drag her back there while I played with mandollies. Here's some pictures of the place:

There were some gothic as gently caress cathedrals:

That concludes Grimdark Tours, have a skelly day

/\
|
(Edit: I meant to link all the skull/bone pictures in the cathedral)

And they say GW overuses skulls...

I think this was the place they filmed part of the Dungeons and Dragons movie that was terrible.

What an awesome trip man. I have been following your photos on FB!

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Ghost Hand posted:

I think this was the place they filmed part of the Dungeons and Dragons movie that was terrible.
It is, which sucks because a better fantasy movie deserves to be shot there. When the tour guide said there were estimated to be forty thousand skulls there I had to suppress my stupid giggling.

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?
Full Circle, I won't be getting home until later today after post office closes, I'll get your Nids in the mail Monday morning, sorry.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Did the cathedral have flying buttresses? It needs flying buttresses to be a Gothic era church. We take art history seriously here in the 40k thread.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

The Sedlic ossuary is pretty much a mandatory destination to visit if you're in the Czech Republic, when I was there for a class trip something like 10 years ago now we visited the place. It is really memorable place just because of all the bones and it feels really creepy.
Pretty sure we visited that cathedral as well that SRM was at too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender
Prague owns.

Unrelated note, I finally finished the Chaos Warhound ANAmal gave me almost two years ago. This thing was harder to assemble than it was to paint, but that didn't stop me from putting it off forever.

More pics:

• Locked thread