Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

corn in the fridge posted:

who, exactly, is the target audience for this??

I don't know about you but when I think 'high fashion' I think 'video games'. I mean it only makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bland posted:

I don't know about you but when I think 'high fashion' I think 'video games'. I mean it only makes sense.

I liked all the ads in MGSV for the different accessories people were wearing

dasmause
Jul 20, 2015

Motomu Toriyama

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

dasmause posted:

Motomu Toriyama

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBL8Zyp7n4I

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

These are attracting quite a bit of attention compared to real female model #658987 so the target audience might be larger than some of us give it credit for. I don't know if they will sell more handbags or not but still.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

I don't think it needed a target audience to really sell it to the execs because it was probably done by a team of SE interns and a team of LV interns meeting for a week and figuring out how to put the LV models that are already made into Lightning animations that are already made. And then it just kind of blew up as an oddity in the same way Hatsune Miku got booked for Letterman.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
Lightning goes with everything now.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

People who love lightning, as they should

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Lightning for president 2016

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

The world is full of idiots that don't understand what's important. And they'll tear us apart, Lightning. But if you stick with me, I'm gonna accomplish great things, Lightning. And you're gonna be a part of 'em. And together we're gonna run around, Lightning, we're gonna do all kinds of wonderful things, Lightning. Just you and me, Lightning. The outside world is our enemy, Lightning. We're the only friends we've got, Lightning. It's just Motomu and Lightning. Motomu and Lightning and their adventures, Lightning. Motomu and Lightning, forever and forever, a hundred years Motomu and Lightning, s... things. Me and Motomu and Lightning runnin' around and Motomu and Lightning time. Aaall day long forever. All, a hundred days Motomu and Lightning forever a hundred times. Over and over Motomu and Lightning adventures dot com W W W dot Motomu and Lightning dot com W W W Motomu and Lightning adventures all hundred years. Every minute Motomu and Lightning dot com W W W hundred times Motomu and Lightning dot com.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

*belch*

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Square-Enix focuses a lot on fashion trends when developing the character designs for their games. Much of the the audience for FF games tend to be teenagers, especially in Japan. The goal is to keep the FF brand active outside of just the games with cross-media promotions/merchandising and to have character designs that appeal to their target audience.

If you really want to see an audience mismatch:

I think Toriyama genuinely cares about Lightning because he's otherwise quite the ladykiller:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Maybe a small preview, but they just announced that Hitman is episodic, with the price essentially being no different than the full game at 60 bucks if you want it all: http://gematsu.com/2016/01/hitman-now-fully-episodic-launches-prologue-one-location

The full hitman game won't be all there until end of 2016, basically.

I don't know if that was IO's idea or square is using them as a guinea pig.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.
I think we can all agree that Hitman is the worst Final Fantasy.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Sunning posted:

I think Toriyama genuinely cares about Lightning because he's otherwise quite the ladykiller:

Add "literally" to that sentence and I'll agree.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mega64 posted:

Add "literally" to that sentence and I'll agree.

I literally think Toriyama genuinely cares about Lightning because he's otherwise quite the ladykiller?

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
thank you everyone for the numerous and varied answers to my question i enjoyed reading all of them

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Tae posted:

Maybe a small preview, but they just announced that Hitman is episodic, with the price essentially being no different than the full game at 60 bucks if you want it all: http://gematsu.com/2016/01/hitman-now-fully-episodic-launches-prologue-one-location

The full hitman game won't be all there until end of 2016, basically.

I don't know if that was IO's idea or square is using them as a guinea pig.

It's probably from the board of directors since they're experimenting with different pricing and content delivery structures. One of the issues surrounding Eidos games is that they have typically launched with mediocre commercial success at full retail price but have gone to have good sales at discounted prices and solid engagement in regards to DLC purchases. So this experiment might be playing to their strengths in that the cost of entry is immediately lower but there is high margin DLC available to make up the difference for people wanting a fully featured experience or just more content.

It'll be interesting to see how this pricing and content structures plays out since most AAA games are heading towards the 'pre-order our $60+ mega AAA game at Gamestop for a free hat and buy our season pass' pioneered by Acti-Blizzard.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Can I have someone hold my hand while I play Final Fantasy Tactis? Maybe I should try to find a Let's Play with that attitude

I seem to recall that Samurai skills work off of the magic stat. So level up Samurai enough to be able to use a few of its skills (or all of them if you're grindy) on another job and then switch to Black Mage. Proceed to wreck everything. I love Tactics.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Can I have someone hold my hand while I play Final Fantasy Tactis? Maybe I should try to find a Let's Play with that attitude

What questions do you have/help do you need? I've spent many an hour reading the battle mechanics guide and designing optimal character setups (not exploiting deleveling though gently caress that)

SonicRulez posted:

I seem to recall that Samurai skills work off of the magic stat. So level up Samurai enough to be able to use a few of its skills (or all of them if you're grindy) on another job and then switch to Black Mage. Proceed to wreck everything. I love Tactics.

A Black Mage with Draw Out (Iaido in WotL) is incredibly strong. It's best on Ramza or a female since their magic attack growth is stronger, with Reis being the ideal candidate since Dragonkin has the highest magic attack growth rate in the game. Outside of Mime all standard jobs have the same magic growth rate, so you're best off leveling as a Ninja for the speed with non-Reis characters. Most of the time you're using Draw Out so you don't need the MP growth you'd get leveling as a mage. Another option for a tankier character is to do a Geomancer with Draw Out. I especially like this for Ramza since he can't equip the Chantage and because he's unique in that he has both high physical and magic attack growth (usually males have higher physical lower magical and females higher magical lower physical, oh Japan) which makes Elemental (Geomancy in WotL) not necessarily garbage. If you want to do this you can level Ninja or Knight/Dragoon. You'll get more HP and physical attack as a Knight but you have the normal speed growth. Your Draw Out only hits for about 2/3 of what a Black Mage hits for using this setup though.

Reik fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jan 15, 2016

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I discovered a great strategy for Feral Chaos:

- be Firion
- spam Lord of Arms over and over until he dies

I was surprised how effective that was!

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

You can do the same thing with Yuna and her Energy Ray. The enemy AI just has no loving idea how to deal with long column attacks and it's hilarious.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

My strategy was to dodge and counter-attack for 10-minutes straight.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

:raise:

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Hey TWD.

The White Dragon posted:

If FF9 comes out on Steam by Aug 2 2016, I will stream it live and finish it in one sitting to the best of my completionist ability (no jump rope king gently caress you) :toxx:

What I'm saying is it's not gonna happen.

:v:

I would also settle for you resuming your FF1 narrative LP.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I will only accept a TWD stream of FFIX if it has a ratio of weed jokes equal to his original LP. :colbert:

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

It did! I guess I better figure out how to set up a stream

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Is it possible to get a different trade rule for solo mode in the FF Portal Triple Triad app? Diff would make getting the duplicates to fuse to a five star card much quicker.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Who doesn't want to see Dr. Oz play against Mark Cuban? It was likely SE's idea but Microsoft paid for most of it.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Is there any reason to get FFXIII for Steam? I got this copy of XIII for PS3 I was thinking of replaying that but maybe I couldwait and play it on my new PC.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Not really. It's not a game affected by frame rate that would be vastly improved.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

You can more easily Cheat Engine the end-game grind to go straight to the hunts? :shrug: And situationally, PC games can have Steam Sales. Don't rebuy it if you already own it.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

NikkolasKing posted:

Is there any reason to get FFXIII for Steam? I got this copy of XIII for PS3 I was thinking of replaying that but maybe I couldwait and play it on my new PC.

It is significantly easier to cheat on PC. Not that the game generally needs it, but if you plan on doing anything in the end/postgame it's a lifesaver to just magically have a billion CP or gil.

dasmause
Jul 20, 2015

Is XIII's combat better on easy difficulty? Or am I playing it wrong, cause almost every enemy is a huge bullet sponge that takes out party in a few hits and it drives me nuts

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

dasmause posted:

Is XIII's combat better on easy difficulty? Or am I playing it wrong, cause almost every enemy is a huge bullet sponge that takes out party in a few hits and it drives me nuts

SAB/RAV/RAV until they stagger, then COM/COM/COM to maximize damage.

Always have a SEN/SYN/MED and SEN/SEN/SEN paradigm to heal or soak up big hits.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

dasmause posted:

Where are you in the game, what's your party, and what does your paradigm deck look like? There's a lot of good advice that can be given, but most of it is useless until you unlock secondary roles and party switching.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

The basic strategy for most enemies is to stagger them and then beat the poo poo out of them before they get back up. Easy mode reduces enemy HP but not so much that it would matter. It also reduces item drop rates.

If something is killing you try debuffing it and/or reacting to its attacks with quick shifts to defensive paradigms (SEN x3, or 2 SENs and a MED). Roles give passive bonuses to the entire party, so even if your SEN is being poo poo and spamming provoke instead of actually guarding, just having them out there makes everyone take less damage.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
The most important general thing to realize about FF13 is your paradigm deck is your command list, and the actual command list is a trap except for some very niche strategies.

Although dying in a few hits sounds more like you found yourself in an avoidable out of depth encounter like in Sunleth. Or in the dumb Snow part where everything has a special attack you're supposed to snap switch to Sen for.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Well they were just trying to get you used to Sentinel. I didn't mind it. It was just more tutorial stuff, basically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dasmause
Jul 20, 2015

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

SAB/RAV/RAV until they stagger, then COM/COM/COM to maximize damage.

Always have a SEN/SYN/MED and SEN/SEN/SEN paradigm to heal or soak up big hits.

I was under impression that COM/RAV/RAV is maximum damage since increasing stagger % increases damage

Artix posted:

Where are you in the game, what's your party, and what does your paradigm deck look like? There's a lot of good advice that can be given, but most of it is useless until you unlock secondary roles and party switching.

Well I just got to chapter 10 and unlocked those secondary roles
So what you're saying that game's supposed to be a slog before that?
Also I mostly use default paradigms, I guess that's my mistake number one

I know that buffing and healing helps, but it slows down combat, and it makes me uncomfortable having to constantly switch paradigms, especially since switching takes a lot of time and enemies keep pounding. I guess SMT type games spoiled me, by allowing me to deal with random encounters in one turn if I play smart