Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Sickening posted:

We were suppose to make fun of the lovely posts , not make them. :smith:

I'm sorry Sickening, I've been slacking

I'll make sure your posts get the mocking they deserve

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

TheKingofSprings posted:

I'm sorry Sickening, I've been slacking

I'll make sure your posts get the mocking they deserve

So you aren't quitting magic?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Surprise, Wasteland is now legal in Modern! But not the original printing - only the Oath Expeditions are legal. Pay us suckers.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
Weird price spike on voice of resurgence happening in the last 2 hours, cheapest on tcgplayer is $42 and rising. Can still get them for $30ish on ebay and other places but I'm sure that'll change by tomorrow.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
One thing to keep in mind is that the Infect/Tron matchup is by far the most lopsided of any matchup in Modern. I'd put it at 85/15, and I don't see the new colorless cards changing much. Seriously, if you expect Tron, play Infect and collect your free wins.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
the thing is that URx decks needed Twin. It was a necessary wincondition not because it was the best one available, but because all of the other ones just aren't good enough to win consistently with in a format ruled by such luminaries as "Turn 3 karn" or "turn three you're dead to burn/infect/affinity".

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Konstantin posted:

One thing to keep in mind is that the Infect/Tron matchup is by far the most lopsided of any matchup in Modern. I'd put it at 85/15, and I don't see the new colorless cards changing much. Seriously, if you expect Tron, play Infect and collect your free wins.

No matchup is that lopsided. 70/30 is plenty lopsided.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I feel like Modern's going to go insane in a disgusting way, and that Twin was actually holding back something that's going to turn out far worse

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

GeneX posted:

the thing is that URx decks needed Twin. It was a necessary wincondition not because it was the best one available, but because all of the other ones just aren't good enough to win consistently with in a format ruled by such luminaries as "Turn 3 karn" or "turn three you're dead to burn/infect/affinity".

Do you mean to tell me the URW control deck that hasn't won a loving thing in like three years was bad for more reasons than Twin existing

Because this is a lot to take in

Wizards seems quite insistent if I just put it in the game it'll rise up to expectations

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Do you mean to tell me the URW control deck that hasn't won a loving thing in like three years was bad for more reasons than Twin existing

Because this is a lot to take in

its very hard to process, I know

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Oh hey it turns out a billion unfunny, passive-aggressive "Twin is totally getting banned, you guys." ended up being right, dummies.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I'll reserve judgement till after the pro tour. I would have loved to see them unban something though.

logis
Dec 30, 2004
Slippery Tilde
I don't know if I'm happy about the Twin banning; but since I put together Burn, Merfolk, and Tron (mainly I play Tron b/c it feels like the closest thing to EDH haymakers), shrug.

Probably means more main deck hate for Tron though...

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I
Wizards cant support eternal formats because of the reserve list promise. Creates modern to replace those eternal formats. Wizards owns people who 'invested' in certain modern cards, that have recently been reprinted, via bannings.

I dont understand Wizards. And I dont play modern, I dont care about these decisions beyond how interesting or boring they make streams i watch.

Banning Cloud in pauper is great though, that card is messed up.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Weird price spike on voice of resurgence happening in the last 2 hours, cheapest on tcgplayer is $42 and rising. Can still get them for $30ish on ebay and other places but I'm sure that'll change by tomorrow.

Whats decks play it?

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

Alris posted:

Whats decks play it?

Abzan/junk, maybe the baby GW death and taxes deck

Eg. Baby meaning "lesser version as compared to the full fledged thing in legacy"

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Alris posted:

Whats decks play it?

A lot of the fair GWx decks play it as a 1-2 of, usually. I don't think either of these bans are really going to change that, but that's never stopped specs before.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

GeneX posted:

Grixis Delver exists, but I suppose an aggro-tempo deck doesn't really contradict your point about a tempo-control deck needing a wincon

I'll miss twin, though. The matches where I would power out a turn 3 tasigur and then never activate him the entire game for fear of tapping out were really the best.

A big flaming stink fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jan 16, 2016

just rust
Oct 23, 2012

Burn in hell:

Cloud of Faeries

Summer Bloom

Condolences:

50% of modern players, all of whom have a very expensive twin deck or were in the process of building one.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

It's a shame, I really liked Summer Bloom's art.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

With this change in OGW, I think the Magic player base will shrink by a certain percentage, and the average IQ of the remaining players will go up by the same percentage.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Ever since the card frame change with M15, I feel like there aren't any sets that have the same classic, mythical feel as some of the other recent blocks such as Return to Ravnica, Innistrad, even going back to Shards of Alara. I guess we've only had one and a half blocks so far, but the Khans block seems a lot like the Kamigawa block to me, and Battle for Zendikar feels nothing like the original Zendikar. Mythics from pre-M15 sets mostly have a lot of grandeur and gravitas to them, both visually and in terms of how they play. Mythics in the Khans block going forward just seem less epic and less classic.

I'm hoping that in Shadows over Innistrad we'll get a full return to the kind of atmosphere we had in that original block.

Thoughts?

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Ever since the card frame change with M15, I feel like there aren't any sets that have the same classic, mythical feel as some of the other recent blocks such as Return to Ravnica, Innistrad, even going back to Shards of Alara. I guess we've only had one and a half blocks so far, but the Khans block seems a lot like the Kamigawa block to me, and Battle for Zendikar feels nothing like the original Zendikar. Mythics from pre-M15 sets mostly have a lot of grandeur and gravitas to them, both visually and in terms of how they play. Mythics in the Khans block going forward just seem less epic and less classic.

I'm hoping that in Shadows over Innistrad we'll get a full return to the kind of atmosphere we had in that original block.

Thoughts?

the Frame i like more is the Frame of Old cards.. Now it looks too much futuristic

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Attorney at Funk posted:

the Frame i like more is the Frame of Old cards.. Now it looks too much futuristic

I hated the new frame with 8th Edition. It took me 12 years to fully accept it. And then they changed it again. >.<

So part of why I like Journey into Nyx and previous more than M15 and later is due to that. But I feel like there is also a difference in the art and atmosphere of the sets.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Thoughts?

stop baiting

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug
OH GREAT A FOIL STAMP PROMO HEDRON ALIGNMENT IN MY SEALED POOL gently caress THIS GAY EARTH.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Mezzanon posted:

OH GREAT A FOIL STAMP PROMO HEDRON ALIGNMENT IN MY SEALED POOL gently caress THIS GAY EARTH.

potentially legacy playable FOIL STAMP PROMO HEDRON ALIGNMENT IN MY SEALED POOL*

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Mezzanon posted:

Write an article about how Hedron Alignment might be a viable wincon in this post twin world, watch MTGFinance do all your work for you.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
The LGS I'm playing at, the smaller one that's one room and a counter, is providing a cheap home-cooked food option for Pre-Release.

Four crock pots full of chili dogs :unsmigghh:

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Four Score posted:

The LGS I'm playing at, the smaller one that's one room and a counter, is providing a cheap home-cooked food option for Pre-Release.

Four crock pots full of chili dogs :unsmigghh:

Have fun in a single room full of farts

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Rinkles posted:

stop baiting

I'm just so confused how someone can look at Return to Ravnica of all things as the zenith of MtG's classical, mythical feel :psyduck:

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

I'm just so confused how someone can look at Return to Ravnica of all things as the zenith of MtG's classical, mythical feel :psyduck:

People mistake reactionary nostalgia for a coherent aesthetic all the time.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Urzas lands are next.

I can see it happening now.

Angry Grimace posted:

Have fun in a single room full of farts

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Alris posted:

Whats decks play it?

The hatebears deck.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky
Does MTGO save chat logs? I just had the most amazing rage meltdown from my opponent but MTGO crashed before I could save it.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Cynic Jester posted:

Does MTGO save chat logs? I just had the most amazing rage meltdown from my opponent but MTGO crashed before I could save it.

Open a replay of the game and the chat window will follow the game.

Booklegger
Aug 2, 2008
Natural State is now an actual modern card. Ain't nothin' over CMC 3 we care about no mo'

I split my time between Scapeshift & Bloom, and I gotta say, the double banning has completely prevented me from being butthurt over the bloom ban. Time to hone Lightshift for the new meta.

Lightning Lord posted:

It's a shame, I really liked Summer Bloom's art.

Kaja4lyfe.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Mezzanon posted:

Still went 3-1 for 12 packs. Meh.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Almost like rares aren't usually going to be a defining part of your deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Mezzanon posted:

That sucks but thats also kind of sweet

• Locked thread