Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Strange Quark posted:

Oh, did they redo the dub for the blu-rays? I've only heard them say child.

I remember them saying children in my dvd too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

they try to force eject an entry plug every other episode and it never works

good news: the arm exploding system continues to work perfectly

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Jan 16, 2016

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Whoa, English voices.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!

lets hang out posted:

they try to force eject an entry plug every other episode and it never works

Nobody at NERV is trying to deal with or even acknowledge the feedback the pilots get from the EVAs getting damaged.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Strange Quark posted:

Speaking of the OST, I really like the big, bombastic orchestral stuff. It brings a lot of oomph to the big scenes.

I feel like the Rebuild movies do this stuff really, really well too but the whole show has incredible music in general :)

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh never mind, Misato said "Fourth Children" at the end of 18.

I still like the instrumental version of Fly Me to the Moon a lot.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

want that mug

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jan 16, 2016

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

por favor no :(

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

lets hang out posted:

The engineer who designed that system must be so proud of his/herself.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

We'll all understand if some of you want to go on after these episodes; just, kindly don't talk about anything you see until we cover them, if you please.

But yeah... bit of a down note to end on, yes? :v:

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

is the water red because it's dusk, or did all the blood fill the river?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

darealkooky posted:

You know, the former hadn't even occurred to me.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Something about this red haired dude stood out to me. I think it's because only main characters are allowed to have hair colors besides brown/black/grey in evangelion.

He's only in this one specific class shot in ep 17 (unless there's another shot where I just didn't notice from some other episode) and he seems to be drawn with a bit more detail than the usual unmoving background props are.

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Please dont spoil Unit 13's robot clone pilot Joey Hatsuzuki Karnage. We have new people watching this ok

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

He's half japanese, half robot btw

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

is he from girlfriend of steel?

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

One of the BL Endings. Boyfriend of Steel.
Personally I liked Touched By An Angel better but ymmv

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

hmm not sure if this works

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

a kitten posted:

That was a good scream, Shinji's voice actor.

the shinji screams are one of my favorite things about the show, as hosed up as that sounds - absolutely uncompromising, painful and expressive, like the show as a whole

I agree, good job uh *looks it up* megumi ogata. oh she's sailor uranus

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

She really sold Shinji's bad case of the Mondays in this ep.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

darealkooky posted:

It's blood

lol I just got the biblical implications of 'rivers of blood' for the first time typing that.

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

It's definitely blood but I love that shot because if you took 01 out of the picture it could easily be a regular painting of a sunset

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

ep 18 is really cool because while the descent starts in 16, this one sends both Shinji and the viewers off the cliff. Shinji confirming the pilot of 03 in that way is still really emotionally brutal, even when everyone else already knows, hell it's because everyone else already knows

Got some feels on Saturday mornin...

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

*burst into thread like koolaid man*

DID SOMEONE SAY SUNSET?

Ok, last one is a bit of a stretch, but I wanted to fit it in somewhere. :shobon:

In Training posted:

It's an extremely minor spoiler about the Rebuilds, but it's something I'm curious about so I'll ask anyway: Whats up with Asuka's new name in the Rebuilds? Is it just a different ship?

A while back, but some more Rebuild spoilettes: Just remembered, but although Asuka got downgraded, Mari does get a carrier. what the heck!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I had some ideas about the giant red sun behind Unit 3-as-angel looking exactly like the Japanese flag last night but I can't remember them now.

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Agronox posted:

First he is an unnaturally talented pilot, and now he even gets that date with Kaji that she wants? Guess it's no surprise why Asuka's so frustrated with Shinji...

Shinji has a knack for brief displays of brilliance competence that are expertly timed to get under Asuka's skin just as she's about to write him off, and it's great!

Jostiband posted:

It's also a nice reminder that Shinji and Asuka are about the same size in case you hadn't noticed due to her stealing all the screen real estate and shot focus at every possible opportunity. :v:

Quoting myself like a lamer, because lol

Zas posted:

the shinji screams are one of my favorite things about the show, as hosed up as that sounds - absolutely uncompromising, painful and expressive, like the show as a whole

shinjifreakingoutintheplug.mp3 :allears:

l33tc4k30fd00m
Sep 5, 2004

.jpg posted:

ep 18 is really cool because while the descent starts in 16, this one sends both Shinji and the viewers off the cliff. Shinji confirming the pilot of 03 in that way is still really emotionally brutal, even when everyone else already knows, hell it's because everyone else already knows

Got some feels on Saturday mornin...

I remember watching the part from the dummy plug activation till the end of the ep over and over the very first time I watched 18. I was genuinely shocked.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Zas posted:

She did excellent work in Angel Beats and Medaka Box Abnormal (For the one episode she was in... I guess she left a major impression) as well, but I don't believe she ever screamed to the bottom of her lungs in the same way in either.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

I'm a little ahead, and one thing I think this series does exceedingly well is capture how a society can be deeply in crisis and yet the day-to-day goes on as normal. You'd think everyone would be cowering in holes as the human race could be wiped out at any time, but people go about their lives, and the freckles girl worries more about making lunch for her crush than impending doom.

Reminds me of stories from the London blitz, although Anno was probably really looking back to the US bombing campaigns of Japan in 1944 and 1945. (Or maybe he just wanted to have high school scenes because every anime has to have high school scenes?)

Another thing: I'm pretty sure I'd hate each of the pilots if I'd seen this when it premiered and I was their age. Shinji is cowardly to another teenager, but viewing him through adult eyes he was dealt a bad hand and plays it pretty heroically under the circumstances. Asuka is a jerk--but just a kid--and although Rei doesn't seem to have much of a backbone maybe she was raised to be that way.

I'm not sure if the Angels are derived from anything in Japanese mythology (there's obviously Christian influences) but if they're original, that's awesome. They're truly foreign, alien, and if they can be compared to anything they inspire the sort of existential dread you get from some of the Cthulhu mythos stories. Great design.

Programming note: the right way to watch from 20 on is the Director's cuts up to 24, "normal" 25 and 26, and then End? Is that right? It's a little confusing.

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting

Agronox posted:

Programming note: the right way to watch from 20 on is the Director's cuts up to 24, "normal" 25 and 26, and then End? Is that right? It's a little confusing.

Yup, that's the way to go.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah, watch the directors cuts and TV 25 26. The End of Evangelion movie is an alternative version of the last two episodes but you really need to watch everything for the full effect.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Agronox posted:

I'm a little ahead, and one thing I think this series does exceedingly well is capture how a society can be deeply in crisis and yet the day-to-day goes on as normal. You'd think everyone would be cowering in holes as the human race could be wiped out at any time, but people go about their lives, and the freckles girl worries more about making lunch for her crush than impending doom.

Reminds me of stories from the London blitz, although Anno was probably really looking back to the US bombing campaigns of Japan in 1944 and 1945. (Or maybe he just wanted to have high school scenes because every anime has to have high school scenes?)

Another thing: I'm pretty sure I'd hate each of the pilots if I'd seen this when it premiered and I was their age. Shinji is cowardly to another teenager, but viewing him through adult eyes he was dealt a bad hand and plays it pretty heroically under the circumstances. Asuka is a jerk--but just a kid--and although Rei doesn't seem to have much of a backbone maybe she was raised to be that way.

I'm not sure if the Angels are derived from anything in Japanese mythology (there's obviously Christian influences) but if they're original, that's awesome. They're truly foreign, alien, and if they can be compared to anything they inspire the sort of existential dread you get from some of the Cthulhu mythos stories. Great design.

it's about the aum shinrikyo attacks. hope this helps.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

quote:

Krystian Woznicki: So Anno changed the original plot of the story when he saw the news about the invasion of Aum's hide out by the police. Did he change it because it was too close to reality?

Azuma Hiroki: Yes, he said so.

KW: But did why he change it? What is the problem with Evangelion being so close to the Aum case?

AH: Anno thought that the original scenario will not be suitable for broadcasting.

KW: So he feared censorship.

AH: A kind of censorship. But this is very typical of the anime situation. TV animations are supposed to be seen by youngsters under 15, 16 years old. And I think, if it this wasn't the case, then Anno would have thought that its obvious similarity with the reality would decrease Evangelion's imaginative potential. But anyway, the original scenario is so shockingly close to the political motivation of the Aum Shinrikyo group, they fight against the upshot of the enemy, without knowing what the enemy really is. The angels change their form for example into pyramids, into shadows. I asked Anno about such abstract characteristics of the angels. He said that this reflects the feelings of his generation. For his generation the enemy is not political. It is also not definite. I mentioned to Anno that such abstract characteristics of the enemy are very close to the conception of Aum as enemy (e.g. poison gas) which he admitted. He also admitted the similarity of Evangelion with Aum. Nevertheless it is too simple to conclude that Anno was sympathetic with Aum. He emphasizes the closedness and exclusiveness of this group. They lost any contact with reality. In Anno's view this again is very close to the situation of anime fans. In fact Evangelion criticizes anime fans, and anime culture: it begins with ambiguous flirtations with conditions central to Aum, and ends with its critique as launched on the situation of anime fans.

KW: Why do you think that Evangelion's flirtations with the Aum case are so essential to its "cultural meaning"?

AH: As you may know there was this particular case with Oe Kenzaburo. He is said to have been surprised when Nihon Seki Gun [Japanese Red Army] got Asama Sanso Jiken: in 1972 the Japanese Red Army stayed in a house close to Mount Asama. They fought with the Japanese police and army. This affair was very close to the novel Kozui wa waga tamashii ni oyobi which Oe Kenzaburo wrote and wanted to publish at that time. However Oe had to change the plot as it was too close to reality. The original plot is said to have been partly changed. Although I am not sure that Anno is comparable to Oe, it seems unquestionable that he is one of the smartest storytellers in Japanese culture of the 90's.

KW: But do you really think that the parallels to Aum are characteristic of, or say, unique about Evangelion? For instance the case you just mentioned has occurred in various cases of recent film productions e.g. in the case of Fukui Shojin's Rubber's Lover whose production goes back to 1992 and which shortly after Aum came to fruition. Out of the fear to provoke misreadings Fukui changed some parts, as he feared those to be mistaken for a sympathetic account of Aum. Rubber's Lover is, on various levels, permeated with an ambiguous critique of Aum, such as their concept of the self, enlightenment through isolation, etc. Angel Dust made about two years before Aum happend describes certain conditions that became dominant in the Aum phenomena: again isolation, brain-washing, extortion. But the aspect of circulation, as it is linked to the mode of reception is perhaps unique about Evangelion and on this level also comparable with Oe's case: Evangelion was broadcast at 6:30 p.m. in the afternoon on a major channel, reaching millions of people whereas the films just mentioned are usually seen by a limited audience. By the way, how popular was Oe at that time?

AH: I think that he was even more popular than he is now. But I admit that the closeness to Aum is not the privilege of Evangelion. The point is that Evangelion is an intrinsic critique of Aum. Anno's career is so close to that of Aum. The Anime fan is the typical type of Japanese otaku. The Aum affair tackled the cultural territory of the Otaku.

source: http://www.nettime.org/Lists-Archives/nettime-l-9802/msg00101.html

Radio Spiricom fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jan 16, 2016

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Oh, that reminds me! What's the situation with the directors cut episodes and the bluray release?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Agronox posted:

Man you just reminded me of the music video about the girl's band that happens right before EVA. :(

It's probably worth a watch at some point, just to see a different genre run into the EVA universe. It was one of the animator shorts from the last few years.

It's called neon genesis impacts if anyone's curious, I don't think it has any spoilers in it, but just in case, could always wait till the show is done.

Allarion fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jan 16, 2016

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Interesting, but how does the show criticize otaku? Did I miss something or does that come later? Or does it relate to the other themes of loneliness, alienation, and unwillingness to be vulnerable around others?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Knorth posted:

Oh, that reminds me! What's the situation with the directors cut episodes and the bluray release?

The blu-rays have both the director's cut and original airing episodes and we'll be using the director's cut versions.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Oh that's right, maybe I should try to find the director's cut episodes since I've never seen them.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

Srice posted:

The blu-rays have both the director's cut and original airing episodes and we'll be using the director's cut versions.

Ah! Cool, need to grab the bluray release before the next session :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Agronox posted:

Interesting, but how does the show criticize otaku? Did I miss something or does that come later? Or does it relate to the other themes of loneliness, alienation, and unwillingness to be vulnerable around others?

well, if you ask me, it's both. you see the threads of it start to develop around episode 16 but it doesn't really come to the fore until the end. the tv finale and end of eva are particularly infamous in this regard. there's more related to the themes of the show that i can't really divulge yet because it would spoil the plot but i will say that it helps to know that anno is a creepy otaku and that evangelion is a work born out of self-hatred -- it's a man working through his personal demons in his metier.

it might also help to know that evangelion was created in part because a woman rejected anno (because she thought anime directors weren't poo poo) and he set out to prove her wrong

• Locked thread