Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anglachel
May 28, 2012
I think the biggest thing about Twin is that it pretty much forced every deck in the format to either have a gameplan to win by Turn 4 before Twin went "oops I won", or have some way of locking the game down.

Decks that actually win on turn 5+ might be a thing now! Assuming they can get by Burn, Infect, and Tron anyways. But all 3 of those decks can easily be hated out with sideboard cards. Burn gets completely crushed with certain sideboard options, Tron can be easily disrupted, and Infect well. gently caress Infect.

Also Hatebears is now gonna move on up sense it hates on tron too (can't search den libraries unless you pay 2!), and Merfolk is gonna be even stronger sense it maindecks land disruption. Jund will be fine with maindeck Fulminators, Tec Edges, and plenty of Hand Disruption. Scapeshift will be a big whatever the gently caress still. And the Modern Eldrazi decks will still be a thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Mezzanon posted:

OH GREAT A FOIL STAMP PROMO HEDRON ALIGNMENT IN MY SEALED POOL gently caress THIS GAY EARTH.

The worst guy at my LGS got a promo Call the Gatewatch, that was the best tonight. He whined so much, like he always does. Got more joy out of that than winning.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Bread Set Jettison posted:

That sucks but thats also kind of sweet

Find three more and figure out how to live the dream.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

anglachel posted:

Decks that actually win on turn 5+ might be a thing now! Assuming they can get by Burn, Infect, and Tron anyways. But all 3 of those decks can easily be hated out with sideboard cards. Burn gets completely crushed with certain sideboard options, Tron can be easily disrupted, and Infect well. gently caress Infect.

Sudden Shock for starters.

Really, the biggest mistake I always see people make across formats is to think it's a good idea to try and remove an infect creature during combat. That's just having the cake and eating it too for me.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Print force of will or something so that combo decks can stop being banned in modern jesus christ

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

GoutPatrol posted:

Find three more and figure out how to live the dream.

I did use it as a scion token (still in its wrapper!)

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
As an affinity player I am glad they banned my deck's worst matchup.

Please dont pick up stony silences or anything everyone else.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Zoness posted:

As an affinity player I am glad they banned my deck's worst matchup.

Please dont pick up stony silences or anything everyone else.

I think Affinity accounts for the most sideboard space of any deck, I doubt it will get much more. Didn't think Twin was too bad myself, I usually main Galvanic Blast, sometimes have Dispatch in the board.

Thinking I might get the tron lands, I've heard it suggested they go into the Eldrazi deck, or that it and Tron might merge.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
now they just need to ban ensnaring bridge, and merfolk can take its rightful place as the best deck in the format :hb:

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

im glad they banned the one deck in the format that asked your opponent to interact with you or consider your possible actions during play and we can all now just sit at a table, play our cards in solemn silence for some turns and then look up and figure out who won

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Ciprian Maricon posted:

im glad they banned the one deck in the format that asked your opponent to interact with you or consider your possible actions during play and we can all now just sit at a table, play our cards in solemn silence for some turns and then look up and figure out who won

I don't think you described a deck that plays Remand there.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

BizarroAzrael posted:

I don't think you described a deck that plays Remand there.

Remand is a bad card because sometimes when your opponent may or may not have it and then you have to think of the possible outcomes of all those possibilities and that's not very fun. I hope it's gets banned

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Remand is a bad card because sometimes when your opponent may or may not have it and then you have to think of the possible outcomes of all those possibilities and that's not very fun. I hope it's gets banned

We should bring the game back to its roots, vanilla creatures and enchantments!

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I am happy as long as countertop doesn't get banned since that means I can chat @ my opponent about whatever else instead of chatting about magic.

When my friends and typical LGS legacy players play against me, they know what I'm playing. So, we usually start chatting about cooking since we have the game procedure down pat after a couple years. :)

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Twin was a fun deck to play but I completely understand this banning. No one wanted to watch a pro tour of all Twin mirrors.

Tailfnz
Oct 13, 2011

I'm delightfully forgettable.
Yeah, at least a third of my (regularly 30+ player) metagame was playing some form of Splinter Twin. I'm not sad to see it go. Maybe I can actually play against Tron and get some of these so-called "free wins" I should be getting every week with Infect.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Ah yes, the "only blue decks are interactive" argument

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007
I think they should print spreading seas in red so goblins can take their rightful first place at the top.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

GoutPatrol posted:

Ah yes, the "only blue decks are interactive" argument

I am trying to figure out what I have been doing with jund all this time.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Ciprian Maricon posted:

it's not the game's fault you only think at sorcery speed

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
More stupid modern price spikes!!!

http://shop.tcgplayer.com/magic/dragons-maze/voice-of-resurgence

http://shop.tcgplayer.com/magic/product/show?ProductName=Urborg%2c+Tomb+of+Yawgmoth&newSearch=false&ProductType=All&IsProductNameExact=true

http://shop.tcgplayer.com/magic/product/show?ProductName=Karn+Liberated&newSearch=false&ProductType=All&IsProductNameExact=true

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

The two at at least mythics that have always been strong :shrug:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Fish analysis:

Twin died. Lost a deck we prey on by promoting a dangerous board backed up with countermagic, we never had specific sideboard hate for this because the hate is other cards for other match ups that just happened to work for twin (Vapor Snag, Countermagic, Dismember).

Tron is suddenly looking up. It's our worst match uplease (besides affinity). Nothing fucks over Merfolk like Pyroclasm into O Stone into Wurmcoil.

Bloom Titan being gone or at least not winning on turn 2 is a big thing, what does Vial into Lord with Vial ready for Cursecatcher do to Bloom Titan? Yup. loving nothing.

Vapor Snag your Titan is hilarious though.

So basically, Tron, on top of having its worst match ups just vanish overnight, is also getting a bunch of powerful cards coming in next week.

Dark day for fish.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Count Bleck posted:

Fish analysis:

Twin died. Lost a deck we prey on by promoting a dangerous board backed up with countermagic, we never had specific sideboard hate for this because the hate is other cards for other match ups that just happened to work for twin (Vapor Snag, Countermagic, Dismember).

Tron is suddenly looking up. It's our worst match up. Nothing fucks over Merfolk like Pyroclasm into O Stone into Wurmcoil.

Bloom Titan being gone or at least not winning on turn 2 is a big thing, what does Vial into Lord with Vial ready for Cursecatcher do to Bloom Titan? Yup. loving nothing.

Vapor Snag your Titan is hilarious though.

So basically, Tron, on top of having its worst match ups just vanish overnight, is also getting a bunch of powerful cards coming in next week.

Dark day for fish.

Hot Take: Banning 2 unfair decks will make unfair decks even better in Modern.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

mcmagic posted:

Look, I can play Coco hate bears now, so it's not a total disaster.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

PleasantDirge posted:

We should bring the game back to its roots, vanilla creatures and enchantments!

Reprint Hurloon Minotaur

The Twin ban's okay with me because I like watching nerds getting mad about being blindsided, as if Wizards hasn't made it abundantly clear that paying lots of money for good modern decks is a loving terrible idea.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Count Bleck posted:

Look, I can play Coco hate bears now, so it's not a total disaster.

I guess that's why voice is 50 bucks now?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Hopping Ghost posted:

Reprint Hurloon Minotaur

The Twin ban's okay with me because I like watching nerds getting mad about being blindsided, as if Wizards hasn't made it abundantly clear that paying lots of money for good modern decks is a loving terrible idea.

I learned this lesson after pod got banned, but then, Abzan company saved my wallet.

mcmagic posted:

I guess that's why voice is 50 bucks now?

Gosh I'm glad I own a playset.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe
The crowd whining about losing value is funny to me. Twin ban means maybe $30-$35 worth of cards don't really get played anymore (twin and exarch). Meanwhile I seriously doubt that their snapcasters, tarns, sulfur falls, remands, and whatever else are going to suddenly stop seeing play and lose value. Twin was only like $5 now to begin with, edh players will happily buy all your twins. Meanwhile you have 10 slots opened up on a u/r tempo deck. Someone might have to get creative but it'll be fine.

Amulet still basically exists too, just without bullshit turn1/2 kills. Play explore and extra Azusa instead of bloom. It can do close to the same thing but a little slower, and that's not a bad thing.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

mcmagic posted:

Counterpoint: you don't introduce snakes to solve a rat problem (if this weren't a metaphor you should just wait for the rats to rotate out)

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god
I wasn't back into magic yet when RTR block was standard; but from what I've heard, is Voice basically back up to it's $50 price tag from when it was standard?

Wurzag
Jun 3, 2007

Bad Moons, Bad Moons, wot ya gonna do?

Speaking as someone who doesn't play an awful lot of modern I'm happy to see twin gone purely because I find it boring as gently caress to watch. To be honest though not really that many people played it, or Bloom titan, at my LGS anyway.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Amulet still basically exists too, just without bullshit turn1/2 kills. Play explore and extra Azusa instead of bloom. It can do close to the same thing but a little slower, and that's not a bad thing.

Yea or maybe it morphs a little bit with more utility lands or finds other way to cheat prime time. I think there will still be a prime time deck with amulet somehow. Really depends on what else rises.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Wasn't Twin a boring A+B combo deck from standard before it got banned

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

InterrupterJones posted:

I wasn't back into magic yet when RTR block was standard; but from what I've heard, is Voice basically back up to it's $50 price tag from when it was standard?

That seems to happen when it's the only card worth mentioning in a set.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

If Legacy bans ever come down on the basis of "your deck is boring" there will be riots

But setting that precedent in Modern is dumb enough.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

C-Euro posted:

Also has anyone checked on Orange Fluffy Sheep yet?

*Stares at hands* I was joking. Every time I said it I was joking. I never once thought they'd actually do it.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

https://twitter.com/Meowzalot_/status/688226222900301824

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I'm with the people who day that Wizards should actually un-ban stuff as well, instead of just stifling any deck that gets too popular. Has Wizards actually been burned by anything they've banned and then later un-banned in any format? Wild Nactl hasn't been oppressive in Modern since coming back and I haven't heard a peep from GGT since it got brought back.

Also even though Tron looks like #1 now I'd be wary of buying into it right away, it's likely next on the chopping block if it puts up good numbers in the immediate future and it's getting a bunch of sweet cards in OGW. If they happens I just hope they figure out how knock it down a pig without taking the easy route and banning the Urza lands but I don't trust them to be that intelligent about it.

kizudarake posted:

I think they should print spreading seas in red so goblins can take their rightful first place at the top.

Also this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Nice, too bad he doesn't pee on them too.

And yeah there's already blood moon but why isn't there a red or green version of spreading seas? Green's overgrowth would fit too. (lol color pie/theme argument, but it's a good game mechanic)

• Locked thread