Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Fo3 posted:

I came home and found a dying crow at my table. Looks poisoned or has a fatal virus, it's all flopping around but can't stand or move it's wings.
Where are it's friends? Googling told me crows/raven mate for life and it's mates "hold funerals"

It came inside and died on your table?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

angryhampster posted:

It came inside and died on your table?

Ha Ha, no, my table outside where I do all my smoking and drinking at night (often cooler outside than in the house at night).
I have a huge yard, but motherfucking crow chilling/dying under that table.

E: It's still not dead yet. Packed it in a box and shoved it in the corner of the yard. I don't really want blood splattered on me in case it has some virus, plus pricks stole my shovels and stuff from my old house anyway so I have none here.
The crow fought it's way out of the box and kind off rolled into a corner. But now it's fighting and loving around trying to roll back into my patio area.

e2:VV couple of glasses of old crow was my dinner, I'm not hungry any more.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jan 16, 2016

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Haha got it. Crow for dinner.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

some texas redneck posted:

I thought you got rid of all the Nest Protects? :v:

(but seriously, hope you feel better...)

I did, clearly this one just needs another blast of compressed air. It went off yesterday morning but since it was during a shower, I (incorrectly) assumed it just managed to get triggered by steam.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Fo3 posted:

Ha Ha, no, my table outside where I do all my smoking and drinking at night (often cooler outside than in the house at night).
I have a huge yard, but motherfucking crow chilling/dying under that table.

E: It's still not dead yet. Packed it in a box and shoved it in the corner of the yard. I don't really want blood splattered on me in case it has some virus, plus pricks stole my shovels and stuff from my old house anyway so I have none here.
The crow fought it's way out of the box and kind off rolled into a corner. But now it's fighting and loving around trying to roll back into my patio area.

e2:VV couple of glasses of old crow was my dinner, I'm not hungry any more.

This feels like in a movie we would be groaning at the obvious foreshadowing

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

meatpimp posted:

Different "they"s with different agendas...

Where have you seen reports of accidents involving self-driving cars where the fault is with the self-driving car and not a human?

Yospos had links, I'm on mobile/too lazy to bother finding them

Still though, it's not happening for a long time and it would probably be easier to make self piloted flying vehicles since at least it has a z axis to be able to dodge something as well as nobody to walk in front of the vehicle

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Distracted driving is just going to get worse as more and more poo poo is loaded into on board computing systems. Navigation is bad enough, but new cars effectively have a full on tablet embedded in the dash to distract the driver with, and rear cameras are no replacement for knowing how to use your mirrors and having your head on a swivel.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

FC RX-7 NA project car adventure may be starting today. Found a local with a runner, very little rust, new trans, 87'...asking 1k. Going to show up with cash and see how cheap I can get it, assuming its not a complete turd. Its not a looker but it looks straight at least.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Liquid Communism posted:

Distracted driving is just going to get worse as more and more poo poo is loaded into on board computing systems. Navigation is bad enough, but new cars effectively have a full on tablet embedded in the dash to distract the driver with, and rear cameras are no replacement for knowing how to use your mirrors and having your head on a swivel.

After spending a week with my Flex and MyFordTouch, I can say the touch screen is very distracting. Why do I need to hit 3 virtual buttons to turn on my seat heater?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

And trust car companies or Google to get it right? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, they have a long line of fuckups to prove neither should be allowed near this.

About 50% of the time when I click on a Youtube link on my Android phone, the Youtube app opens and says "Can't load link".

Google software, on a Google operating system, cannot handle opening a hyperlink. Yeah, these guys are probably fine to drive me around at 70 mph.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Pham Nuwen posted:

About 50% of the time when I click on a Youtube link on my Android phone, the Youtube app opens and says "Can't load link".

Google software, on a Google operating system, cannot handle opening a hyperlink. Yeah, these guys are probably fine to drive me around at 70 mph.

Reminder: Google did not understand why Snapchat accessing the camera as an unprivileged userland process frequently forced a hard reboot of a flagship phone they specified the hardware for, wrote the drivers for, running on a kernel they understood and controlled.

It is still unpatched four years later. Snapchat eventually dealt with the problem by throwing up a dialogue at first boot going "hey Google won't fix this phone so you're on your own hashtag yolo."

Don't let Ken near any cars they make.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jan 16, 2016

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

This is one of the big things that really annoys me about working for a large cell phone provider. On one hand, employees are supposed to be advocates against texting and driving (and other forms of distracted driving), which is all well and good, but on the other hand the company is working with OEMs to pack more and more distracting technology into new cars, because it nets us more subscribers. And I bet we'll never see a PSA about people who got killed because of someone who got distracted by the in-dash tweet reader we helped develop, should that ever happen.

I don't think rear-view cameras are so bad, though. I agree that people should know how to set and use their mirrors properly, but with the way modern cars are designed you can see things with a rear camera that wouldn't be visible with the mirrors alone, like parking space markings or the front of the car behind you if you're parallel parking. It takes a lot of guesswork out of those situations.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Don't let hell. I want to see him weld a salvage steering setup into a Google car and rampage around offroad listening to it wail about his driving whole being unable to stop him.

Torture for robots. :getin:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

zundfolge posted:

This is one of the big things that really annoys me about working for a large cell phone provider. On one hand, employees are supposed to be advocates against texting and driving (and other forms of distracted driving), which is all well and good, but on the other hand the company is working with OEMs to pack more and more distracting technology into new cars, because it nets us more subscribers. And I bet we'll never see a PSA about people who got killed because of someone who got distracted by the in-dash tweet reader we helped develop, should that ever happen.

I don't think rear-view cameras are so bad, though. I agree that people should know how to set and use their mirrors properly, but with the way modern cars are designed you can see things with a rear camera that wouldn't be visible with the mirrors alone, like parking space markings or the front of the car behind you if you're parallel parking. It takes a lot of guesswork out of those situations.

Mirrors aren't just for backing up. Using them for that gets you used to checking them instead of checking the dash, which means less chance of murdering a motorcyclist because you merged into his front tire.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Someone left a fresh steamer on aisle 3 at Kroger. That was interesting.

:stonk:

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

Liquid Communism posted:

Mirrors aren't just for backing up. Using them for that gets you used to checking them instead of checking the dash, which means less chance of murdering a motorcyclist because you merged into his front tire.

Right, I'm saying that if you use your mirrors properly the camera can augment them in some situations. Every car I've driven with one only activates it in reverse so that's why I limited my discussion of the camera to those scenarios.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I'm watching the punisher send after about a third of a bottle of run I'm speculating: the entire premise is a guy gets his family killed by the mob. No billion dimmer tertiary fund, no spider bite, no super powers, nothing mystical. Just pure strain vigilante action. So why does it still sock?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Coming soon to a garage near me. It's a W8 automatic with the CEL on. Expect thread upon arrival.

edit:

Cakefool posted:

I'm watching the punisher send after about a third of a bottle of run I'm speculating: the entire premise is a guy gets his family killed by the mob. No billion dimmer tertiary fund, no spider bite, no super powers, nothing mystical. Just pure strain vigilante action. So why does it still sock?
Cuz you're only 1/3 through the bottle. Reevaluate around 4/5s. The one with Thomas Jane, right? That movie rules.

scuz fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jan 16, 2016

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Cakefool posted:

Assuming you meant "why does it still suck?", the answer is that comic books were written for children and manchildren.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

PaintVagrant posted:

FC RX-7 NA project car adventure may be starting today. Found a local with a runner, very little rust, new trans, 87'...asking 1k. Going to show up with cash and see how cheap I can get it, assuming its not a complete turd. Its not a looker but it looks straight at least.

Dude didnt want to move on the price, sadly. I now smell very, very deeply of exhaust. I think it was running rich, idle had a bit of a pop to it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

zundfolge posted:

Right, I'm saying that if you use your mirrors properly the camera can augment them in some situations. Every car I've driven with one only activates it in reverse so that's why I limited my discussion of the camera to those scenarios.

Those situations are mainly when you're driving a modern car with blind spots the size of an oil tanker and it is literally impossible to see anything within 10m behind the car without a camera.

I love human psychology. Cars are unsafe > add gigantic amount of passive safety features that make the car into a bunker of protection that make it impossible to see out of > add cameras to restore lost visibility...for safety!

Like why can't we just spend money on not crashing into poo poo? Why would people rather spend tends of thousands of dollars on a car that swaddles them in airbags instead of a few hundred bucks on driver training?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

scuz posted:

Coming soon to a garage near me. It's a W8 automatic with the CEL on. Expect thread upon arrival.

I wasn't aware a w8 existed. Waiting eagerly.

Auto? Lol. Cel? Lolol.

scuz posted:

Cuz you're only 1/3 through the bottle. Reevaluate around 4/5s. The one with Thomas Jane, right? That movie rules.

Yes, him! Will do!

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

scuz posted:

edit:

You know like everything on that car is NLA, right? There's a thread on vwvortex where a guy had to fab bearings because they were NLA.
The "good news" is that the ats are the same as other awd passats. The bad news is those broke even with 1.8t toque numbers.
Also, your problem is almost certainly cam adjusters which are thousands of dollars if they aren't NLA. They're also an engine pull.
O2 sensors, also an engine pull by the book, but you can do that one if you fab up the right tool with the engine still in.

Also, in case you have issues finding brake stuff, they're the same as one of the audi s lines. Maybe the s6?

scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe

Cakefool posted:

I wasn't aware a w8 existed. Waiting eagerly.

Auto? Lol. Cel? Lolol.

Yes, him! Will do!
Jalopnik article on DD'ing one of these. I can't wait! :homebrew:

This is sort of a favor for my pops. He's done an extensive amount of work on it already, but he hears me with my crazy ideas like "buy a 1981 VW Caddy and convert it to RWD with my 2.0L engine" and thought this might scratch the itch for a while.

nm posted:

You know like everything on that car is NLA, right? There's a thread on vwvortex where a guy had to fab bearings because they were NLA.
The "good news" is that the ats are the same as other awd passats. The bad news is those broke even with 1.8t toque numbers.
Also, your problem is almost certainly cam adjusters which are thousands of dollars if they aren't NLA. They're also an engine pull.
O2 sensors, also an engine pull by the book, but you can do that one if you fab up the right tool with the engine still in.

Also, in case you have issues finding brake stuff, they're the same as one of the audi s lines. Maybe the s6?
IDK what NLA is I know this thing is pretty much a unicorn. This is a fix-and-flip to the right person who knows what they're getting in to unless I fall completely in love with it. I'm stuck making payments on the antithesis of THIS car for the next ~4 years so probably fix-and-flip. The CEL is climate control related :confused:

scuz fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jan 16, 2016

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Those situations are mainly when you're driving a modern car with blind spots the size of an oil tanker and it is literally impossible to see anything within 10m behind the car without a camera.

I love human psychology. Cars are unsafe > add gigantic amount of passive safety features that make the car into a bunker of protection that make it impossible to see out of > add cameras to restore lost visibility...for safety!

Like why can't we just spend money on not crashing into poo poo? Why would people rather spend tends of thousands of dollars on a car that swaddles them in airbags instead of a few hundred bucks on driver training?

At the risk of making a horrible generalization, it's because Americans love trying to solve behavioral/social problems with technology because actually changing our behavior is neither easy nor profitable. :v:

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

scuz posted:

Weren't you complaining about money issues earlier?

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Okay 2/3red of a bottle and I flaked and switched to tea but the publisher turned out to be good for the reasons I previously said it sucked.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Just mixed and rolled like thirty meatballs and chopped tomatoes to puree later for the sauce base to make some spaghetti sauce.

So this basically guarantees my wife will have a different idea for dinner when she gets home.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Send them to me, that sounds boss.

Mistakes were made but overall operation "drink all the rum" had a good opening night. "Monsters dark continent" however was garbage.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Phone posted:

Weren't you complaining about money issues earlier?

Technicalities, phone. Money issues go hand in hand with VW

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

scuz posted:

"buy a 1981 VW Caddy and convert it to RWD with my 2.0L engine"

Do this, please do this

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Technicalities, phone. Money issues go hand in hand with VW

I really want a Touraeg after riding in my friends V10 TDI one. I just want the V6 one but man its still such a bad idea.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

NitroSpazzz posted:

Was going to reply in the race thread but this one works. For watching racing I really enjoyed sitting at Canada or the Carousel, 5 also sees a lot of action. Actual camping...no clue but inside Carousel seems like it would be good.

Nice Thanks!

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Fart Pipe posted:

I really want a Touraeg after riding in my friends V10 TDI one. I just want the V6 one but man its still such a bad idea.

We test drove a Q7 TDI as a joke and my wife had to talk me off that ledge for about a week.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
The Mini is dead. Old lady ran a light and totaled it. Minor injuries. I'm so glad it's gone. Haha.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cakefool posted:

"Monsters dark continent" however was garbage.
I agree. It's a pity, though. The original film was a fantastic exercise in what can be done on a shoestring budget.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

the spyder posted:

The Mini is dead. Old lady ran a light and totaled it. Minor injuries. I'm so glad it's gone. Haha.

well I guess that is one way to sell a car!

I wanted the red XJ to get rearended at like 15mph every time I drove it for the last few months of its road-going existence, but no one ever closed the deal.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

the spyder posted:

:rip: dead gay car, so long and thanks for the cash

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Cakefool posted:

Okay 2/3red of a bottle and I flaked and switched to tea but the publisher turned out to be good for the reasons I previously said it sucked.

if you can get past the scene with the russian without loving that movie you're dead inside

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

iwentdoodie posted:

We test drove a Q7 TDI as a joke and my wife had to talk me off that ledge for about a week.

Yea Im working on that but man what a nice car. Its way smaller than I thought and the interior is super nice even on the VW version. Plus hi/low range 4wd. I need to stop thinking about it though. Im spoiled with my super cheap to run Forester.

• Locked thread