Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Twerk from Home posted:

My driveway is set up so that you can't go up it without some type of limited slip or locking diff, I've seen 2 separate RWD cars get stuck and spin one wheel while sliding back onto the street. I'm not sure if tires would help, or if diffs are the only option.

My wife just takes it at speed and gets one rear wheel up in the air a couple inches every time she comes home, I love seeing it. I can't imagine what things would be like if we ever got snow or ice here.

my old driveway was like that and i had a RWD truck with bald as gently caress all seasons. it was right on the end of the street though, so i could get a really good run at it.

right now all my vehicles are RWD with winter tires, and 2 are open diff, i still haven't had any trouble this winter. even turnout around in the middle of and having to start back up a ~10% grade.

Good tires change everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Unless a road is covered in some seriously nasty or greasy snow, or the hill is one of the Devils masterpieces, a good pair of snow tires will make any car a winter champ.

Sometimes physics wins though. (no, your lowered e46 isn't making it through 2 feet of snow.)

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Guinness posted:

I love how your average person blames their car and not their tires for lovely performance in inclement weather.

In snow & ice, a base model Elantra with snow tires would run circles around a Subaru (a "good in the snow" car according to your average person) on summer tires.

It is wearing WS60s which from my memory running WS70s are probably not excellent snow tires, but they should drat well be capable of getting up an inch and a half of slush.

He did not accept my offer of "I'll just do it."

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

The Blizzak WS60s on my RWD E46 work excellent in snow :shrug:

Sounds like a driver problem.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

Enourmo posted:

I want another S10 Blazer or similar, but in actually good condition unlike mine.

There's just no new car that fills that role, unless you want to pay $40k or whatever for a 4Runner.

Yes nothing ensures life insurance payout like an s10 blazer.

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/04/19/iihs-names-chevrolet-blazer-most-likely-to-kill/

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Interesting that the Nissan 350Z is one of the deadliest cars, but the Infiniti G35 is one of the safest. Boy racers :v:

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

Interesting that the Nissan 350Z is one of the deadliest cars, but the Infiniti G35 is one of the safest. Boy racers :v:

But i thought they were super safe, i mean, look what this guy walked away from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MKrmWkHeEA

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

350z 2dr vs G35 4dr if you look at the images. Yeah my 350z insurance is comically high even though it barely is driven, never been in a wreck, etc. I almost hate it. It will be a nice pair with my mom's original 240z when she restores it for show use though.

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Sagebrush posted:

Deaths per million registered vehicles doesn't seem like a useful metric anyway - per million miles traveled by that model would be much more useful.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

I wish there was an adults only day at auto shows. I would love to go to the Houston auto show next weekend, but the number of juice-spillers running rampant all over the place, standing on the seats, grabbing all over stuff and just generally being in the way makes the show suck pretty hard. Add to that the huge crush of people and the overwhelming obesity epidemic in this city and it's a recipe for not being able to get anywhere in the convention hall or see much of the cars without it being an overwhelmingly negative experience. So, little shits and slow moving packs of obese people make me and the wife not want to go.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

BloodBag posted:

I wish there was an adults only day at auto shows. I would love to go to the Houston auto show next weekend, but the number of juice-spillers running rampant all over the place, standing on the seats, grabbing all over stuff and just generally being in the way makes the show suck pretty hard. Add to that the huge crush of people and the overwhelming obesity epidemic in this city and it's a recipe for not being able to get anywhere in the convention hall or see much of the cars without it being an overwhelmingly negative experience. So, little shits and slow moving packs of obese people make me and the wife not want to go.

There is, it's called Press Day. ;)

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Fortunately I'm within walking distance of the convention center here for this http://www.pittautoshow.com/ in Feb. I might actually go this year.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

PCOS Bill posted:

Fortunately I'm within walking distance of the convention center here for this http://www.pittautoshow.com/ in Feb. I might actually go this year.

I usually go, but goddamn is the Pittsburgh auto show usually depressing. We get all the 3 year old concepts. Otherwise, the local dealers just grab a few models from their lot for each brand.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
The last auto show I went to was Chicago, 2001. :/

Coincidentally, I went to see the 350Z concept.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

BloodBag posted:

I feel like this about most aspects of life.

I try to do everything super late or super early to avoid children being there.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

bull3964 posted:

I usually go, but goddamn is the Pittsburgh auto show usually depressing. We get all the 3 year old concepts. Otherwise, the local dealers just grab a few models from their lot for each brand.

Sounds like the Philly show. I stopped going years ago, never anything interesting.

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators
Went to the New England International Auto Show today, had a really good time. Got to check out a ton of new cars. This years was one of the best in a while.

Two cars really stuck out to me though - and they're probably ones most would think are boring as all hell. They were the new Lincoln Continental and the Hyundai Equus. The Continental is extremely nice. It's good to see Ford build something reasonably desirable in the luxury segment. It looks FAR better in person than in pictures. I might have to check it out when it arrives for a potential purchase in a couple years when they're not $50+k.

The Equus on the other hand had a really nice interior and probably some of the most comfortable seats I've ever sat in. You can tell where some of the cost cutting comes in to make it a $60k car, but really not much. Pretty impressive.

My only real disappointments came from Chrysler/Dodge. I haven't checked out the latest 300/Charger since last gen and they just feel...cheap inside. I just didn't like how anything really felt. The buttons and knobs were just eh. It was reasonably handsome but just disappointing.

The ugly comes in the form of Mitsubishi. I don't even know why they try anymore. Their cars are completely outclassed by just about everything else. There is nothing more innovative or unique about anything in their lineup that made me even consider one of their cars for a purchase. I don't know who the hell are buying these things. Seriously, if I only had $13k to spend I'd buy something used over the Mirage. It's so bad. There is nothing to like about that car.

The surprising aspects came to me in two forms. One - I really like the new Volvo XC90. Everything about it is nice. If I were an SUV fan I would definitely put it on my short list. Inside and out it is one of Volvos best efforts in a while. Second, I can actually fit in the new Miata, hah. I'm 6'4" and 260 pounds so it was tight, but I feel like I could feasibly drive the thing.

Git Mah Belt Son fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jan 17, 2016

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Git Mah Belt Son posted:

The ugly comes in the form of Mitsubishi. I don't even know why they try anymore. Their cars are completely outclassed by just about everything else. There is nothing more innovative or unique about anything in their lineup that made me even consider one of their cars.

What is going on with Mitsubishi? Is it like one of those pro sports franchise profit-sharing scams where the owner makes money by purposely fielding a bad team?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

fyodor posted:

What is going on with Mitsubishi? Is it like one of those pro sports franchise profit-sharing scams where the owner makes money by purposely fielding a bad team?

it's like a company still making low-end VCRs in 2009

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Git Mah Belt Son posted:

The ugly comes in the form of Mitsubishi. I don't even know why they try anymore. Their cars are completely outclassed by just about everything else. There is nothing more innovative or unique about anything in their lineup that made me even consider one of their cars for a purchase. I don't know who the hell are buying these things. Seriously, if I only had $13k to spend I'd buy something used over the Mirage. It's so bad. There is nothing to like about that car.

Last year I swear their demo Mirage was rusting on the show floor.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Everybody borrows from the lancer's looks because it's a good looking car.

Mitsubishi's response for the year two thousand and sixteen.

I don't even think the designer should be fired for this one.

I think they should be shot.

Out of a cannon.

Into the sun.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
"You're only allowed to change stuff from the headlights forward, because we have no budget."

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
I keep thinking "Mitsubishi still makes cars?" and then seeing them on the road all the time.

Its a weird dichotomy.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

The only good thing Mitsubishi ever made are those cute little RHD microtrucks people import.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

ilkhan posted:

I keep thinking "Mitsubishi still makes cars?" and then seeing them on the road all the time.

Its a weird dichotomy.

You mostly see them in ghetto areas because theyre so desperate theyll give credit to anyone

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Mange Mite posted:

You mostly see them in ghetto areas because theyre so desperate theyll give credit to anyone

That's weird, most of what I see in the ghetto is Lexus and Cadillac

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

PCOS Bill posted:

That's weird, most of what I see in the ghetto is Lexus and Cadillac

Wrong ghetto

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Mange Mite posted:

Wrong ghetto

Is it like one of those WWII Polish ghettos where they round up all the mitsubishi owners and force them to live in a festering pit of mediocrity and they all wear triple diamond patches to identify them?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

kimbo305 posted:

"You're only allowed to change stuff from the headlights forward, because we have no budget."

Same thing on the Outlander this year. It's a large part of their ad campaign in Canada.

REDESIGNED FRONT FASCIA

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I can't hate the Lancer too much - it may be dated as hell but it's also cheap to buy and not as awful as some of the competitors (like the Corolla sedan or Cruze)

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

dissss posted:

I can't hate the Lancer too much - it may be dated as hell but it's also cheap to buy and not as awful as some of the competitors (like the Corolla sedan or Cruze)

The 2014 Corolla sedan I'm currently driving while my car is in the shop isn't bad, really. The CVT isn't fun, but it makes the car fast enough when I need it (surprisingly so above 60 mph), and it averages 38 mpg on the highway. The infotainment system is terribly designed, but that's normal for cars.

And, from what I've heard, the newer Corollas are largely the same, so I can extend these trends into the future indefinitely :v:

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Wheeee posted:

The only good thing Mitsubishi ever made are those cute little RHD microtrucks people import.

In fairness the Montero used to do pretty well at Dakar, no?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

dissss posted:

I have rented all three and i would rather drive a 3 year old rental cruze than a new lancer

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I am stuck with a rental Jetta and I loving HATE it.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Cruzes hold up surprisingly well as rentals. Theyre boring cars but GM seems to finally have figured out how to make an interior that doesnt immediately go to poo poo

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Mange Mite posted:

Cruzes hold up surprisingly well as rentals. Theyre boring cars but GM seems to finally have figured out how to make an interior that doesnt immediately go to poo poo

I believe the Koreans make the Cruze and it's technically a Daewoo Lacetti. So, GM probably still can't make an interior for poo poo. My MIL's suburban had the dashboard top crack and fall in. I remember when Dodge Rams did that back in 2002

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Has anyone here driven a Chevy SS? The 2014s seem to lose about $10k off their price in the first 3,000 miles judging by the ones listed around here. I think the 2014s are auto only though.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

BloodBag posted:

I believe the Koreans make the Cruze and it's technically a Daewoo Lacetti. So, GM probably still can't make an interior for poo poo. My MIL's suburban had the dashboard top crack and fall in. I remember when Dodge Rams did that back in 2002

Daewoo doesn't exist anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Dislike button posted:

Has anyone here driven a Chevy SS? The 2014s seem to lose about $10k off their price in the first 3,000 miles judging by the ones listed around here. I think the 2014s are auto only though.

I haven't but I did mention a couple of pages ago that reviewers and owners seem to really, really love the car.