Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

C-Euro posted:

I'm with the people who day that Wizards should actually un-ban stuff as well, instead of just stifling any deck that gets too popular. Has Wizards actually been burned by anything they've banned and then later un-banned in any format? Wild Nactl hasn't been oppressive in Modern since coming back and I haven't heard a peep from GGT since it got brought back.

Also even though Tron looks like #1 now I'd be wary of buying into it right away, it's likely next on the chopping block if it puts up good numbers in the immediate future and it's getting a bunch of sweet cards in OGW. If they happens I just hope they figure out how knock it down a pig without taking the easy route and banning the Urza lands but I don't trust them to be that intelligent about it.

Also this.

valakut and bitterblossom were also unbanned and neither of them have gone on to dominate (though maybe now is valakut's time to shine)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
L.o.l.

Sheridan Lardner posted:

I’ll be publishing a more formal Banlist analysis next week, but wanted to put up this article as a place for our users to discuss the update in the comment section. Also, as a place for me to legitimately vent my frustrations with this sickening announcement.

Sheridan Lardner posted:

If it sounds like I’m angry it’s because yes, I’m angry. I’m mad because I love this format and regardless of the metagame justifications for this banning (which are thin, at best, and arbitrary, at worst), Splinter Twin‘s demise sends a message to players: Modern is unsafe.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Correct me if I'm wrong but I scrolled to the bottom to find out who this guy was and it says "social science data analysis." Is this something legit like statistics and if so why isn't it said that way? And if not what bullshit degree is this?

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

I believe all formats should remain unchanged to protect players' valuable investments. That is clearly what matters most in the era of MTGfinance.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

I'm actually far more interested in modern now that twin is banned than I have ever been. Grixis control is a fantastic deck in modern, it didn't need an "oops I won" factor on top of the best control shell in the format.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

sarmhan posted:

I believe all formats should remain unchanged to protect players' valuable investments. That is clearly what matters most in the era of MTGfinance.

But if some decks get pushed out by stronger decks then their cards become less valuable.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

But if some decks get pushed out by stronger decks then their cards become less valuable.

:agreed: WOTC should just print less powerful cards to protect investments and ensure format variety.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Stupid.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

*Stares at hands* I was joking. Every time I said it I was joking. I never once thought they'd actually do it.

Sorry for your loss(?)

Molybdenum posted:

valakut and bitterblossom were also unbanned and neither of them have gone on to dominate (though maybe now is valakut's time to shine)

I didn't even remember that either of these were ever banned which I guess kind of proves my point.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

I would say decks that rely on 1-2 cards in order to win have the possibility to be banned out of existence. Twin and Bloom could win without those pieces but it would only happen through great skill of the pilot and some luck of the opponent draws. Decks like Affinity, Burn, or Jund can have stuff banned from them but don't destroy the core, just slow it. well, banning Goyf may kill Jund/Azban but I doubt they would do that.

It should also be noted they have never banned an expensive card in Modern except in the original ban list.

GoutPatrol fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Jan 16, 2016

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
I'd be willing to bet that most Twin players will just switch to Kiki-Jiki and win a turn later. That is, the ones who aren't freaking out right now and assuming their pile of some of the most powerful cards in Modern are somehow worthless without Twin. Turn 4 Twin wins happen, but most of the games I've seen the players wait to make sure that the combo won't get disrupted and hold up a couple extra lands for Remand or something.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

It's effectively what people wanted anyway. Banning deceiver exarch, banning twin, same diff. Now you can actually bolt the offending critter dead unlike before. That's what people wanted, right?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Emerson Cod posted:

I'd be willing to bet that most Twin players will just switch to Kiki-Jiki and win a turn later. That is, the ones who aren't freaking out right now and assuming their pile of some of the most powerful cards in Modern are somehow worthless without Twin. Turn 4 Twin wins happen, but most of the games I've seen the players wait to make sure that the combo won't get disrupted and hold up a couple extra lands for Remand or something.

Mmm yes the card that dies to bolt in the bolt format where everyone runs bolts is a perfect substitute

Bolts

E:

I was loving joking, Wizards

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Jan 16, 2016

Sarcastro
Dec 28, 2000
Elite member of the Grammar Nazi Squad that

Call me crazy, but if I'm going to post a video of me flushing cards down the toilet (or attempting to, anyway) on the Internet, I'm going to clean my toilet first so that the world doesn't know how loving disgusting my living space is.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

What do we refer to Modern as if it's not "eternal" and it's not "non-rotating"

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Nehru the Damaja posted:

What do we refer to Modern as if it's not "eternal" and it's not "non-rotating"

:confused:

Standard is rotating, Legacy is eternal, Modern is :confused:.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Emerson Cod posted:

This is untrue. Kiki Jiki is terrible in Twin.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

GoutPatrol posted:

Ah yes, the "only blue decks are interactive" argument

Decks deploying powerful linear strategies without any interest or concern for what the opponent is doing is actually a problem in Modern and is only going to get worse once you remove the only realistic tempo/control - esque strategy from the format.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

Standard is rotating, Legacy is eternal, Modern is :confused:.

New thread title please.

In all seriousness, I thought there was a twin deck that popped up in Legacy not too long ago. Seems like a waste - apart from obvious reasons - to literally flush those cards down the toilet.

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Sarcastro posted:

Call me crazy, but if I'm going to post a video of me flushing cards down the toilet (or attempting to, anyway) on the Internet, I'm going to clean my toilet first so that the world doesn't know how loving disgusting my living space is.

You're not crazy my friend.

I'm enjoying the bans because watching adults throw hissy fits is fun.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

GoutPatrol posted:

Ah yes, the "only blue decks are interactive" argument

Only blue decks are interactive against a turn 3 Karn

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Only blue decks are interactive against a turn 3 Karn

There's always Thoughtseize. Plus any deck can run Wasteland if you're playing a good format.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Hellsau posted:

There's always Thoughtseize. Plus any deck can run Wasteland if you're playing a good format.

They ripped it off the top

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I never played Twin, but I started building Tron because UG Tron was one of my favorite Standard decks ever and I still had the lands. I wish there were different bans, maybe Exarch and Pestermite, so that Twin's manabase was shaken up having to play the 1GU or 2W guy instead. Would that have made the deck more fair?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Hellsau posted:

If the discussion is literally "removing Splinter Twin from Modern makes Modern a less interactive format Modern Modern Modern Modern" why would you say "yes but Legacy"

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

BJPaskoff posted:

I never played Twin, but I started building Tron because UG Tron was one of my favorite Standard decks ever and I still had the lands. I wish there were different bans, maybe Exarch and Pestermite, so that Twin's manabase was shaken up having to play the 1GU or 2W guy instead. Would that have made the deck more fair?

An Exarch ban alone would've been enough, doubling up on pestermites opens them up to bolts and needing to splash a colour severely weakens their Blood Moons and ability to run utility lands.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
Tempo doesn't go away with Twin, it just doesn't have an "Oh, I win." card; I'm intrigued to see what decks pop up.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

bhsman posted:

Tempo doesn't go away with Twin, it just doesn't have an "Oh, I win." card; I'm intrigued to see what decks pop up.

Tempo now gets to die slowly to Tron because it's become a fair deck

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

TheKingofSprings posted:

Tempo now gets to die slowly to Tron because it's become a fair deck

We'll just have to see.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
If abusing Eldrazi lands in Modern becomes the next big thing after OGW, could Expedtion Map get the axe for enabling both it and Tron? How much would losing Map hurt Tron's consistency?

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

bhsman posted:

We'll just have to see.

Bans haven't really increased variety in the way people are hoping. Either they tone down the power of a deck so that it makes up less of the meta-game like the way DRS bans toned down Jund (which is good), or they make an archetype disappear entirely the way a Nacatl ban killed zoo (which is bad). I can't think of a single time a ban has suddenly led to the flowering of new decks. It's almost always new cards that bring archetypes from Tier 2 to Tier 1 or back from the grave.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
I got excited at 330 new posts but it just turned out to be boring modern talk.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I still think Grixis Control will be more than adequate in picking up Twin's slack.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Bans haven't really increased variety in the way people are hoping. Either they tone down the power of a deck so that it makes up less of the meta-game like the way DRS bans toned down Jund (which is good), or they make an archetype disappear entirely the way a Nacatl ban killed zoo (which is bad). I can't think of a single time a ban has suddenly led to the flowering of new decks. It's almost always new cards that bring archetypes from Tier 2 to Tier 1 or back from the grave.

True, but by that same token new cards can also make decks worse; Necatl was unbanned and Zoo isn't taking over a format with Siege Rhino et al in it.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
https://mobile.twitter.com/mtgaaron/status/688242056708243456

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Treasure Cruise/Dig Through Time?

Edit: Well, I guess that just made U/R less oppressive.
I like how the influx of Cruise/Dig decks actually made Dredge more viable because none of the super-value delve decks wanted to sideboard in graveyard hate. :v:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Visions is MUCH worse than either Stoneforge or BBE.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Glad my LGS is doing Prerelease this weekend since half the store doesn't own a Modern deck anymore.

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

AlternateNu posted:

I still think Grixis Control will be more than adequate in picking up Twin's slack.
Agred but I think they need to be a lot more counter-heavy to stop tron curving out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Lancelot posted:

Agred but I think they need to be a lot more counter-heavy to stop tron curving out.

If nothing else, this will make flip Jace jump even more since most twin decks didn't use him.

• Locked thread