Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
on a scale of 1 to 10 comparing an aimbot to a jumpbind is infinitely retarded

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jan 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
How easy is it to tell if someone is using a jump bind in a tournament?

eppu
Apr 15, 2005

Carrier posted:

Whats your kz_gitgud time

Not good, like just over 1h

it's too long to try it that often.

black pete
Mar 24, 2015

DON'T MIND ME!

I'LL MAKE JOKES ABOUT RAPE.

santanotreal posted:

How easy is it to tell if someone is using a jump bind in a tournament?

If they have the jump bind in the config they have to submit and have verified before the LAN.

sleppy
Dec 25, 2008

Auto bhop scripts are banned as well, no? Seems a lot closer to that than an aimbot. Still though, I think the fact that it only deals with a smoke grenade makes it easier to ignore the fact that a computer is playing the game for you. It is just going to force some more creative smokes, is all.

Carrier
May 12, 2009

eppu posted:

Not good, like just over 1h

it's too long to try it that often.

smh, gitgud (im only joking, im deep in the stage of playing 100% kz 100% of the time, haven't comped in probably 6 months now and no plans too lol)

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Kz loving owns but the server where i put hundreds of hours on wiped out everyones times and went back to 64 tic so im intensely caremad

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

surc posted:

lol @ people defending scripted actions in a competitive setting, using the justification that without removing player-skill through automation, a thing can't happen with 100% accuracy.

E: I can't hit headshots 100% of the time without an aimbot, banning aimbot is bullshit! It lowers the number of places I can go to get headshots in the game, removing tactics revolving around me hitting 100% headshots!

Ridiculous. If a smoke can only be reliably hit with a jump bind, it will never be used without one. That's just a fact. What kind of skill are we talking here? Ability to release m1 within a 0.05s window? Who gives a poo poo.

I don't really care, I've not thrown any kind of co-ordinated jump smoke for like 2 years, but you have no idea what you're talking about.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

Jeza posted:

Ridiculous. If a smoke can only be reliably hit with a jump bind, it will never be used without one. That's just a fact. What kind of skill are we talking here? Ability to release m1 within a 0.05s window? Who gives a poo poo.

I don't really care, I've not thrown any kind of co-ordinated jump smoke for like 2 years, but you have no idea what you're talking about.

Then maybe people shouldn't be trying to hit that smoke, and should instead be playing differently instead of complaining that their thing that only works when you remove player skill is no longer allowed. :shrug:

Bohemian Nights posted:

on a scale of 1 to 10 comparing an aimbot to a jumpbind is infinitely retarded

Still less retarded than arguing that something which removes player agency in favor of working 100% of the time is a valid thing to keep in a competitive game where the gameplay relies on the same skills, without scripts, all the time.

E: If you want jump smokes, make valve fix jump smokes so they don't require a script, don't argue that a script somehow doesn't make things less competitive. Like, jesus christ, it's not some new piece of information that running a script requires less skill than doing a thing yourself. Obviously the aimbot was the opposite end of the spectrum with 'actual effect/impact on the game', but it is the same concept, automating a part of the game to perform at a level you are not capable of performing at. If you're not good enough to hit a smoke in a .05s window, then you shouldn't be hitting a smoke in a .05s window.

surc fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jan 16, 2016

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx
Should I turn off my voice_scale toggle script then? What about having it switch to my knife before it goes to a grenade so I can throw faster?

surc
Aug 17, 2004

henne posted:

Should I turn off my voice_scale toggle script then? What about having it switch to my knife before it goes to a grenade so I can throw faster?

Yes, and idk probably, respectively. Any time you have to script a thing, that means the game is balanced poorly and should be re-balanced to fix the issue because it is relying on things outside of your skill at playing the game to affect your ability to win or lose.

Sorry this apparently makes people angry!

Macros are a grey area because sometime's it's just personal preference/how your spider-like hands are laid out, and sometimes they exploit uintended parts of gameplay to give an advantage.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
It sounds high and mighty talking about player agency and skill, but 95% of smokes are just rote-learned aiming at spots, holding m1 and releasing. Jump smoking was the exact same, except you pressed a button to do it instead. All it does it throw a smoke the maximum distance. By removing it, you only decrease the amount of tactical options available to teams.

It's not a huge deal or anything, as only a few smokes require jump binds.

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx
What if i bind one button to do two things?

What if I bind ten buttons to two things each and press them all at the same time?

Audax
Dec 1, 2005
"LOL U GOT OWNED"

henne posted:

Seriously, that is the extent to which a jump script ruins the game.

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
Scripts have historically been banned, duck run scripts, silent run scripts, silent defuse scripts...

I don't really care about people using them in FFA or matchmaking but I think all scripts should be banned in pro games.

henne
May 9, 2009

by exmarx
You realize the "scripts" here are bind one button to do two things sequentially

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
Yes I use it myself in matchmaking, but I want to see how the game plays out without it.

surc
Aug 17, 2004

I am kind of floored that so many people are arguing against my revolutionary and new stance that an automated process where you press a single key to perform multiple actions requires less skill than actually doing those actions yourself.

Jeza posted:

It sounds high and mighty talking about player agency and skill, but 95% of smokes are just rote-learned aiming at spots, holding m1 and releasing. Jump smoking was the exact same, except you pressed a button to do it instead. All it does it throw a smoke the maximum distance. By removing it, you only decrease the amount of tactical options available to teams.

It's not a huge deal or anything, as only a few smokes require jump binds.

You only kind of decrease the tactical options, because using a script artificially inflates the amount of tactical options. I think jump smokes are awesome, I think valve should work to make them doable without a script, or people should throw them as YOLO type plays, where they do not have a 100% chance but "gently caress it maybe it'll pay off because we're on a massive tilt right now and need something".

I also agree jump smokes specifically aren't a big deal, I was initially responding to people who were all "oh my god this is a travesty that this association won't allow this script!", aka, making it out to be a big deal. The reason I keep responding is people seem to be arguing that scripts don't decrease the skill/speed/reaction-time required to do a thing, when that's like, the entire reason anybody uses them in the first place; to achieve things outside their ability to do, or do more things in a short time than they'd be able to do, or whatever.

E: Basically, my point is that there is nothing wrong with an organization designed to have people compete with their skill at a thing banning things which allow people to play beyond their skill. This is true no matter how little or large the amount it allows them to play beyond their skill is, or how wide-spread the usage is.

E2: My point is also still "lol @ people who think scripts don't decrease the level of skill required to do a thing", because :lol:

surc fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Jan 16, 2016

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Wow Guardian, giving most of his team free AKs

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

surc posted:

I am kind of floored that so many people are arguing against my revolutionary and new stance that an automated process where you press a single key to perform multiple actions requires less skill than actually doing those actions yourself.

You only kind of decrease the tactical options, because using a script artificially inflates the amount of tactical options. I think jump smokes are awesome, I think valve should work to make them doable without a script, or people should throw them as YOLO type plays, where they do not have a 100% chance but "gently caress it maybe it'll pay off because we're on a massive tilt right now and need something".

I also agree jump smokes specifically aren't a big deal, I was initially responding to people who were all "oh my god this is a travesty that this association won't allow this script!", aka, making it out to be a big deal. The reason I keep responding is people seem to be arguing that scripts don't decrease the skill/speed/reaction-time required to do a thing, when that's like, the entire reason anybody uses them in the first place; to achieve things outside their ability to do, or do more things in a short time than they'd be able to do, or whatever.

E: Basically, my point is that there is nothing wrong with an organization designed to have people compete with their skill at a thing banning things which allow people to play beyond their skill. This is true no matter how little or large the amount it allows them to play beyond their skill is, or how wide-spread the usage is.

I think you're outraged about something you don't understand and are trying to push your narrow view of what the game should be onto other people. My suggestion to you is that you figure out how often these binds come into play and really think about the difference in the game between having and not having those binds. If you're smart, you may figure it out based on only what I've said here.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Maybe they should just ban jumping.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI
Please sign long rants with your rank and sensitivity

Carol Pizzamom
Jul 13, 2006

a bear you feed is a bear and a steed

fennesz posted:

I think moe's clips on the NA FPL Soundboard are my favorite thing since unicorn stickers.

http://zorkz.ovh/nafpl/soundboard/

what the hell happened is the best one, but glocks are the runners up. especially 12.

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

It's not that people don't have the skill to hit jump throws consistently, it's that it's effectively impossible to hit jump throws consistently. It has nothing to do with skill, it only limits the smokes used.

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Depths posted:

Please sign long rants with your rank and sensitivity

Global 69

surc
Aug 17, 2004

BabeLiker90 posted:

I think you're outraged about something you don't understand and don't know that it isn't a big deal and are trying to push your narrow view of what the game should be onto other people. My suggestion to you is that you figure out how often these binds come into play and really think about the difference in the game between having and not having those binds. If you're smart, you may figure it out based on only what I've said here.

I think you're overestimating my outrage. There is nothing wrong with people using these scripts. There is nothing wrong with an association saying "Hey you can't use these scripts".

There is something very wrong with people going "No no really you just don't understand that these scripts actually have no effect on how good I am, they just let me do things I wouldn't usually be able to do".

I get the meta-game angle or whatever, and everybody uses macros and binds and scripts and yadda yadda yadda, I've played CS for a very long time, and it's always been full of that stuff. I use binds myself, I just don't get upset when people point out that it means I'm doing a thing I wouldn't be able to do myself. It's the people who seem to be offended by the concept of admitting that "I use a bind to do a thing I wouldn't be able to do without the bind", combined with apparent outrage that an organization would want to prevent people from using unintended functionality, that's leaving me flabbergasted.

Ixtlilton posted:

It's not that people don't have the skill to hit jump throws consistently, it's that it's effectively impossible to hit jump throws consistently. It has nothing to do with skill, it only limits the smokes used.

I totally agree, and I have nothing against jump throws as a concept. It's just that hitting those smokes 100% is UNDENIABLY not intended functionality of the game, which I guess means I don't understand how the game works, because

E: for clarity on what is not intended functionality.

surc fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jan 16, 2016

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

If that's the case then you and everyone arguing with you are arguing different things (mostly). The only thing that seems to be up for debate is the ESL ban and I don't think anyone actually cares about ESL.

E: tho imo if it CAN be done then it's kosher and it's always gonna be that way unless valve makes a change to prevent something

Diqnol fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jan 16, 2016

real dilemma
Apr 12, 2007
I just realized how much this 4x ban format favors Na'Vi...they love playing the maps that people typically don't want to waste their bans on (overpass, cbble) and they get to ban cache, the map that everyone else likes and they don't even practice, PLUS the other team's best map. nV could still just out-aim them to victory, though.

Ixtlilton
Mar 10, 2012

How to Draw
by Rube Goldberg

I kinda feel like what smokes end up being used is usually emergent gameplay so saying what's intended or not is kinda moot, but eh.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Seems like Envy > fnatic, Na'vi > Envy and fnatic > Na'Vi. This bracket draw makes fnatic eke out another close tournament win.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Smol posted:

Seems like Envy > fnatic, Na'vi > Envy and fnatic > Na'Vi. This bracket draw makes fnatic eke out another close tournament win.
The thing about Na'Vi is that they only do well if GuardiaN is doing well. Literally everyone else on the team can be doing terribly, but if GuardiaN's on point, they'll win. If the final is Na'Vi v. Fnatic, the result will be based on that factor.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

mcvey posted:

The individual skill is obviously there for Fnatic, Flusha just needs more experience as an IGL.

This is how I see it. Fix Inferno(lower its skybox around CT) but everything else is fine.

why not just make and play good maps where you aren't reliant on literally millisecond perfect timed smokes to land them?

actually pls someone explain to me which specific smokes can't be landed unless you do it perfectly

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008

henne posted:

do you really need scripts to do that? You dont have the manual dexterity to do those things yourself and practice it until your timing is better and better?

cs is a game of skill, thats why smgs and pistols are ruining our great game.

i could live through the r8, i could cope with the jumpscout and the ladder hitboxes, but if they take away my jumpthrow which is literally the only way i can play de_inferno, im going to uninstall this game ive spent 15 years playing. HOW DARE ESL DO THIS

Up Circle fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jan 16, 2016

aborn
Jun 2, 2001

1, 2, woop! woop!
Even sens chat is better than script chat

2 @ 400

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

8-0 Na'Vi on t-side Train.

I don't think this is a good sign for the baguettes.

real dilemma
Apr 12, 2007

Smol posted:

So Na'Vi has two easy bans, cache and inferno
fnatic bans overpass and probably train, but then mirage is an easy win for Na'Vi...likewise if they ban mirage then Na'Vi gets an easy win on train...

so fnatic has to win both d2 and cbble? You really think that favors fnatic? I don't. I don't think either of those maps is a slam dunk for them.

vvv Na'Vi just dunked on nV on cbble (nV's map pick) and d2 is traditionally a good map for them as well (though I think fnatic is probably a slight favorite on d2 the way they've been playing it lately)

real dilemma fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jan 16, 2016

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

real dilemma posted:

so fnatic has to win both d2 and cbble? You really think that favors fnatic? I don't. I don't think either of those maps is a slam dunk for them.
They're okay at d2 and pretty good at cbble.I don't know how Na'Vi performs on either of those maps, though.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

I bet on na'vi so I am extremely OK with this but jfc quit loving forcing every round lol

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

real dilemma posted:

vvv Na'Vi just dunked on nV on cbble (nV's map pick) and d2 is traditionally a good map for them as well (though I think fnatic is probably a slight favorite on d2 the way they've been playing it lately)
Well then it really just comes down to which team gets which side.

JW Mag-7 inbound either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

That pistol throw lol

• Locked thread