Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

sarmhan posted:

I believe all formats should remain unchanged to protect players' valuable investments. That is clearly what matters most in the era of MTGfinance.

on one hand i get your point but on the other hand as an infrequent (or non-, honestly) player who doesn't like standard and has had Titan half built in my binder for a while there's just a solid chance I never play paper magic with my own cards again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Death Bot posted:

on one hand i get your point but on the other hand as an infrequent (or non-, honestly) player who doesn't like standard and has had Titan half built in my binder for a while there's just a solid chance I never play paper magic with my own cards again.

Congratulations, you're free!

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

AlternateNu posted:

I still think Grixis Control will be more than adequate in picking up Twin's slack.

I'm not as confident. It's crazy how much of an impact the possibility of twin affected games, even if you ran a Grixis list without the combo just the idea created a lot of room for your to deploy threats and use your disruption. I think it will have a harder time doing that once deck lists, and players adapt to never having to worry about twin again.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Voyager I posted:

Glad my LGS is doing Prerelease this weekend since half the store doesn't own a Modern deck anymore.

Healthy meta.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
So how many Tron decks can we expect at the Pro Tour

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

TheKingofSprings posted:

Hopefully it does well enough that I can sell my tronsense for ravagers.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Probably not many. Pros don't like decks like Tron.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

Voyager I posted:

Congratulations, you're free!

I actually do like playing magic but yeah i guess it is kinda nice that wizards is doing their best to show that even if i do think that spending $1000 or more to play a card game with one deck only is reasonable that depending on the deck I can just reasonably assume that the money (and my hobby) can just disappear overnight.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Ciprian Maricon posted:

I'm not as confident. It's crazy how much of an impact the possibility of twin affected games, even if you ran a Grixis list without the combo just the idea created a lot of room for your to deploy threats and use your disruption. I think it will have a harder time doing that once deck lists, and players adapt to never having to worry about twin again.

True. But this will also make the usefulness of Remand jump since players will be more likely to tap out on their turn.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
I Kiki really a 100% unplayable substitute? I understand that being more expensive and dying to bolt are both extremely relevant drawbacks, but Twin already had to play around Exarch dying to every removal spell that wasn't Lightning Bolt anyways and Kiki has the silver lining of not getting you 2-for-1'ed if your combo gets interrupted. Obviously the end result is a slower combo that's more vulnerable to disruption, but that's not necessarily the same thing as a dead deck and Twin getting tuned down a little bit is probably not a bad thing for the format.

Cactrot posted:

Healthy meta.

Yeah if half the store gets knocked out by one card getting banned that is probably a sign that things weren't great to begin with.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

If the discussion is literally "removing Splinter Twin from Modern makes Modern a less interactive format Modern Modern Modern Modern" why would you say "yes but Legacy"

You don't have to be playing Legacy to play Wasteland. There's also Vintage.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Hellsau posted:

You don't have to be playing Legacy to play Wasteland. There's also Vintage.

This is completely relevant to a discussion of Modern because

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Voyager I posted:

I Kiki really a 100% unplayable substitute? I understand that being more expensive and dying to bolt are both extremely relevant drawbacks, but Twin already had to play around Exarch dying to every removal spell that wasn't Lightning Bolt anyways and Kiki has the silver lining of not getting you 2-for-1'ed if your combo gets interrupted. Obviously the end result is a slower combo that's more vulnerable to disruption, but that's not necessarily the same thing as a dead deck and Twin getting tuned down a little bit is probably not a bad thing for the format.

Yeah if half the store gets knocked out by one card getting banned that is probably a sign that things weren't great to begin with.

Being a turn slower matters in some match ups. Also being weaker to removal is an issue.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

mcmagic posted:

Visions is MUCH worse than either Stoneforge or BBE.

Was that card played fair or with cascade (in modern)?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Rinkles posted:

Both, though the cascade was all Bloodbraid Elf.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Voyager I posted:

I Kiki really a 100% unplayable substitute?

The difference is pretty significant. 1 turn later, 1 mana more is a lot in this game. The difference between Preordain and Anticipate, Bolt and Lightning Spear is one turn and one mana but in game play terms its massive.

It might be "Unplayable" in the context of "I could instead do Tron turn 3 so gently caress that" not in the sense that you will literally lose every game if its in your 60.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

LSV is at my prerelease.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Days like today remind me that not everyone has lived through this multiple times before. Maybe they don't make it explicit enough at all times but modern is the format of active management and very good deck is under an axe. I would never foil out a modern deck.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Ciprian Maricon posted:

The difference is pretty significant. 1 turn later, 1 mana more is a lot in this game. The difference between Preordain and Anticipate, Bolt and Lightning Spear is one turn and one mana but in game play terms its massive.

It might be "Unplayable" in the context of "I could instead do Tron turn 3 so gently caress that" not in the sense that you will literally lose every game if its in your 60.

It's absolutely a worse card in a meaningful way. I'm just curious to see if UR Twin can work with it as a substitute while still being competitive, since Wizard's stated goal with the ban was to make the deck weaker more than to kill it outright. Up to now there was no reason to even try with Kiki because you had an obviously better card to use, but I'd at least like to see it tested out before people start flushing their decks.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Rinkles posted:

It's unfair with or without cascade.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Voyager I posted:

Twin's played it in the past but as Twin's 5-X.

It's slow as hell.

And now Knight Combo is the fastest Twin combo in the format. :getin:

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Thopter Engineeer -> Shape Anew for Blightsteel will now rule the format

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

This is completely relevant to a discussion of Modern because

Because people play Magic to have fun and Vintage is fun. If you're not having fun, go play Vintage. I'm sure your LGS will be happy to run Vintage events with proxies.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
It's just a weird ban philosophy. A world where Splinter Twin is illegal but casting Karn on Turn 3 is okay is a world where Jace the Mind Sculptor should be legal.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

no combo or control :I

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

InterrupterJones posted:

In all seriousness, I thought there was a twin deck that popped up in Legacy not too long ago. Seems like a waste - apart from obvious reasons - to literally flush those cards down the toilet.

It was a Dig deck and it wasn't good.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Tempo now gets to die slowly to Tron because it's become a fair deck

I play RUG Delver. This is correct. Delverñ turn 2 flip into Goyf into Blood Moon with 2 Mana Leaks wasn't enough to win, so I don't know what will be.

Hellsau posted:

Because people play Magic to have fun and Vintage is fun.

Used to be*

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Voyager I posted:

It's absolutely a worse card in a meaningful way. I'm just curious to see if UR Twin can work with it as a substitute while still being competitive, since Wizard's stated goal with the ban was to make the deck weaker more than to kill it outright. Up to now there was no reason to even try with Kiki because you had an obviously better card to use, but I'd at least like to see it tested out before people start flushing their decks.

Go play Burn one weekend with all your Bolt's replaced with Searing Spears. Can you do it? Yeah, will it still win games? For sure. Is it something you'll want to sleeve up with any regularity? No.

The margins in a format as powerful as modern are pretty small and slower by one turn, one mana, and now interrupted by every damage spell used by anyone, is a lot to deal with in a land of Turn 3 trons and Vengeful Griselbrands

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Go play Burn one weekend with all your Bolt's replaced with Searing Spears. Can you do it? Yeah, will it still win games? For sure. Is it something you'll want to sleeve up with any regularity? No.

The margins in a format as powerful as modern are pretty small and one turn, one mana, now interrupted by every damage spell used by anyone, is a lot to deal with in a land of Turn 3 trons and Vengeful Griselbrands

Not to mention RRR isn't the easiest thing even if you do get to 5 without like, a Cascade Bluffs or something.

Also holy crap I just realized Lotus Petal Simian Spirit Guide is legal. My god, WotC can't do anything right! :negative:

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

TheKingofSprings posted:

Twin's played it in the past but as Twin's 5-X.

It's slow as hell.

And now Knight Combo is the fastest Twin combo in the format. :getin:

I'm glad I have this deck because without having to compete with twin and twin's disruption it may have actually gotten a lot better. Wasn't terrible to begin with.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

You can just run Ancient Ziggarut now.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

someone build Jacob Wilson's Merfolk list, im sure it's the ultimate counter to tron https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzJBPXZp1og

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
Turn two Thalia can stop a karn on turn 3. Everybody play hatebears

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Even more decks that can run Ancient Ziggarut

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Holy poo poo.

Ronpaulitshappening.jpg

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Hey remember when the most broken thing you could do with Tron lands was like, Tooth and Nail out a Darksteel (not Blightsteel!) Colossus

It's almost as though steady power creep isn't a good thing

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Its mostly because they keep printing new haymaker creatures

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
My buddy just bought 250 restos #mtgfinancelife

At least he's making markets not following them I guess.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I hope they reprint shardless agent in SOI at the same time they unban Vision when U non-combo decks cease to exist in modern

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

My buddy just bought 250 restos #mtgfinancelife

At least he's making markets not following them I guess.

He probably just bought them to play with, actually. Why do you have such a hate boner for MTG finance??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

We must avoid printing fairly costed cards in order to accomodate broken mana acceleration lands

• Locked thread