Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Don Lapre posted:

Amd doesn't have performance parts to not ship heatsinks with.

The FX-9590 and the FX-9370 can be sold without a CLC if that counts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I don't consider Intel's new thing of not including a heatsink with K parts to be a bad thing. I do not know anyone who does not run an aftermarket cooler on K parts anyways, except when said aftermarket heatsink doesn't work, either because of DOA or age, and even then, only as a stopgap measure.

The 4790k was actually faster than the 4790 so there is a use case for people who dont care about overclocking and poo poo to just use the stock heatsink.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

FaustianQ posted:

The FX-9590 and the FX-9370 can be sold without a CLC if that counts.

I know mine came in box with no heatsink and specifically warned you that you had to buy your own.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

CommieGIR posted:

I know mine came in box with no heatsink and specifically warned you that you had to buy your own.

They were originally only sold to large OEMs because installing them in the wrong boards could kill motherboards.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

:byetankie:
Gun Saliva

CommieGIR posted:

I know mine came in box with no heatsink and specifically warned you that you had to buy your own fire insurance

Having a legitimately good and quiet stock cooler would add to the perceived value of an AMD chip for me anyways, as long as the Zen chips didn't really require the extra cooling performance to avoid overheating.

future ghost fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jan 7, 2016

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Good thing it was free.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

bitcoin savant posted:

Having a legitimately good and quiet stock cooler would add to the perceived value of an AMD chip for me anyways, as long as the Zen chips didn't really require the extra cooling performance to avoid overheating.

Well, apparently desktop Carrizo for AM4 will only hit 65W, while Zens max TDP target is 95W, while these stock HSFs target is 125W (for retroactive usage with AM3+ processors). Should make Carrizo very attractive for slim HTPC if the noise really is that low.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

FaustianQ posted:

Well, apparently desktop Carrizo for AM4 will only hit 65W, while Zens max TDP target is 95W, while these stock HSFs target is 125W (for retroactive usage with AM3+ processors). Should make Carrizo very attractive for slim HTPC if the noise really is that low.

Real talk, couched in the assumption that you are going to use an AMD product one way or the other:

Is there *any* reason why you would want to use a non-Zen product once they become available?

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD
Depending on price point Carrizo could be good for HTPC/light gaming.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Is there *any* reason why you would want to use a non-Zen product once they become available?
I can see Carrizo getting some attention when making $250 pcs the same way the G3258 and AM1 did 1.5 years ago.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

According to internet rumors there will be an AMD Athlon X4 845 chip (socket FM2+) for HTPC/light gaming.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I don't consider Intel's new thing of not including a heatsink with K parts to be a bad thing. I do not know anyone who does not run an aftermarket cooler on K parts anyways, except when said aftermarket heatsink doesn't work, either because of DOA or age, and even then, only as a stopgap measure.

Shitloads of "enthusiasts" buy K CPUs and never overclock them so I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of them used the stock coolers.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I know! I'm one of them! I don't overclock my parts until they're EOL, to squeeze some extra mileage out of them before I pass the rig on secondhand, (also they're long out of warranty by then), because I figure that if they're binned for overclocking, they'll last that much longer under normal usage.

I still use an aftermarket cooler.

(Also, I am lazy and like the idea of overclocking, but hate the testing and validation process.)

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Real talk, couched in the assumption that you are going to use an AMD product one way or the other:

Not really, I actually planned to switch my current HTPC over to AM4+Carrizo 45W mITX as soon as it releases and drop the current Phenom II 955 and 7850. I currently have an i5 4590 for my primary rig but if Zen is good enough or better the i5 might get rotated out, otherwise I'll wait for Zen Plus in 14 or 10nm, while Zen beefs up the HTPC.

I would be super grateful if some one would make a cheaper Grandia GD05B, over 100$ for that case seems to hard to justify compared to the cost of the mITX cases.

Rastor posted:

According to internet rumors there will be an AMD Athlon X4 845 chip (socket FM2+) for HTPC/light gaming.

This is believed to be for the Chinese market though, US+EU is getting it on AM4 last I heard. Wondering if, based on the past rumor of FM3, that AM4 isn't a successor to FM2+ and there is some backwards/forwards compatibility between them. More likely than AM3 similarity.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Asus new AMD ROG motherboards are looking good, especially their ITX board. Also, they got their first Nvidia Certification.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3019...md-970-boa.html

(That is the Intel B150 ITX board, thanks for catching that)

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jan 8, 2016

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

I like how there's three pictures of the Intel LGA version of that board in that article, including the one you're showing right now.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

I like how there's three pictures of the Intel LGA version of that board in that article, including the one you're showing right now.

Oops, I linked the wrong photo.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

CommieGIR posted:

Asus new AMD ROG motherboards are looking good, especially their ITX board. Also, they got their first Nvidia Certification.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/3019...md-970-boa.html

(That is the Intel B150 ITX board, thanks for catching that)

...so, E-ITX?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

SwissArmyDruid posted:

...so, E-ITX?

Ignore the ITX comment, I misidentified.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
AMD's releasing A10-7890K at up to 4.3 GHz. They're also announcing new motherboards that support USB 3.1 Type A, Type C, and m.2, although I'm not really clear why you couldn't do that on the previous generation if everything's done by external controllers. Did they add extra PCIe lanes or what?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/9927/amd-announces-a107890k-apu-and-upgrades-desktop-platforms

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

read: new makes of A88/A970 chipsets

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Without a major production process revision it's unlikely that this new chip is anymore than a well binned, higher cycle chip. Factory over locked if you will.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

I've seen some speculation that this means they're confident in the Zen performance that it won't be outpaced by the previous generation as happened with the construction cores, so that's good news.

As for Kaveri / Godavari though, there remain very few use cases where they are the best choice.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

It's not like it's a particularly hard target to hit, performance ceiling has pretty much hit a slight incline the last 5 years.

The more interesting part is whether the architecture will scale to low power consumption per-core (and thus be competitive in servers and laptops), which AMD has already demonstrated they can do quite well with the loving construction core architecture in Vishera Opteron and Carrizo.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

http://wccftech.com/microsoft-windows-10-intel-amd-qualcomm/

I'm going to take a salt mine with it, but I'm not sure that's how processors work and I'm not sure Intel or AMD would be super happy about lost sales due to people not upgrading unless Microsoft is compensating. Further, Win7 and Win8 are so drat similar I'd expected some kind of backwards compatibility to be implemented user end at some point. As far as I am aware, this is pretty unprecedented as you can run Win7 and Win8 on some retarded old hardware (fluently is a different matter).

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

https://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2016/01/15/windows-10-embracing-silicon-innovation/

Straight from the horse's mouth

If they really wanted people not to upgrade to new hardware they could have just said so :v:

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

I think the only thing impressive about it is the announcement of support for a Qualcomm processor TBH, which is neat and cool and opens windows up for ARM I take it. This would make K12 and Denver viable as desktop processors or allow Samsung, Qualcomm, etc as very cheap mini-pcs. That does put such platforms in sharp contrast to Intel Atom and Celeron based products, as more often then not PowerVR, Adreno and Mali are fully capable of keeping up with Iris.

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva

FaustianQ posted:

I think the only thing impressive about it is the announcement of support for a Qualcomm processor TBH, which is neat and cool and opens windows up for ARM I take it. This would make K12 and Denver viable as desktop processors or allow Samsung, Qualcomm, etc as very cheap mini-pcs. That does put such platforms in sharp contrast to Intel Atom and Celeron based products, as more often then not PowerVR, Adreno and Mali are fully capable of keeping up with Iris.
And if you just pretend that Windows RT never happened this announcement is like it's actually a great idea and not at all a slow-motion disaster in the making.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Ars technica is reporting it as well. Basically from here on out Microsoft will only support a new CPU on whatever the most recent version of windows is when that CPU comes out. It seems to me to be aimed more at preventing people from putting old versions of windows on new PCs.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

bitcoin savant posted:

And if you just pretend that Windows RT never happened this announcement is like it's actually a great idea and not at all a slow-motion disaster in the making.

Unless it's not a Windows 10 RT clone, but the exact same Windows 10 on either x86-64 or ARM64, in which case how is that in particular a disaster?

future ghost
Dec 5, 2005

Gun Saliva
I refuse to believe that MS will ever make universal apps work to a level beyond basic functionality. After 2 years of frantic development and an intense marketing effort, merging barely-compatible "great ideas from our ARM team" into mainline Windows, and constant promises of impending successes, Microsoft will abruptly roll up the ARM division when some VP needs to boost his company visibility. Microsoft will then claim that the division scale-down is to better serve their small business Windows customers or some other nonsense. Microsoft doesn't have a great track record of actually sticking to an idea (Windows Mobile, Zune, any of their various audio and messaging apps, whatever they're calling Skype/Lync this week) and their announced plan to do android compatibility on their phones was an abortive failure at best. As soon as some other exec decides killing this program will make him look good or Satya gets tossed it'll be deader than OS/2.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

The Lord Bude posted:

Ars technica is reporting it as well. Basically from here on out Microsoft will only support a new CPU on whatever the most recent version of windows is when that CPU comes out. It seems to me to be aimed more at preventing people from putting old versions of windows on new PCs.

:argh: Curse you, Microsoft! You will not prevent me from using windows 7 till the end of time even if that means I'll buy 2015 processors off ebay till the end of time! :argh:

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

FaustianQ posted:

http://wccftech.com/microsoft-windows-10-intel-amd-qualcomm/

I'm going to take a salt mine with it, but I'm not sure that's how processors work and I'm not sure Intel or AMD would be super happy about lost sales due to people not upgrading unless Microsoft is compensating. Further, Win7 and Win8 are so drat similar I'd expected some kind of backwards compatibility to be implemented user end at some point. As far as I am aware, this is pretty unprecedented as you can run Win7 and Win8 on some retarded old hardware (fluently is a different matter).

it is surprisingly complicated to bring up a new processor on a kernel but this is a move to get laggards off 7 and 8(.1)

bitcoin savant posted:

I refuse to believe that MS will ever make universal apps work to a level beyond basic functionality. After 2 years of frantic development and an intense marketing effort, merging barely-compatible "great ideas from our ARM team" into mainline Windows, and constant promises of impending successes, Microsoft will abruptly roll up the ARM division when some VP needs to boost his company visibility. Microsoft will then claim that the division scale-down is to better serve their small business Windows customers or some other nonsense. Microsoft doesn't have a great track record of actually sticking to an idea (Windows Mobile, Zune, any of their various audio and messaging apps, whatever they're calling Skype/Lync this week) and their announced plan to do android compatibility on their phones was an abortive failure at best. As soon as some other exec decides killing this program will make him look good or Satya gets tossed it'll be deader than OS/2.

unless satya tanks revenues the shareholders are loving him since Azure and O365 have colossal margins

all the shitbox computer janitors d.b.a. "IT departments" are gonna have to suck it up and deal with it. what're you gonna do, deploy linux? Apple is even more hardcore about deprecating old hardware.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

The Lord Bude posted:

Er, you realize they already never provided support for CPUs substantially newer than an OS was intended for? There's almost never been updated setup environments made available for an already existing OS. I'm not sure how you're expecting such support to even exist, beyond "if the new CPU is compatible with a CPU from when the old version came out, the software runs", which is how it already works!

You can still run MS-DOS 6 and Windows 3.1 on a brand spanking new computer if you really want. You'll only be able to use one of the cores, either 256 or 512 MB of its RAM, and so on, but it'll "work".

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Malcolm XML posted:

it is surprisingly complicated to bring up a new processor on a kernel but this is a move to get laggards off 7 and 8(.1)
MS should have just switched to a rolling update system while still on 7 so the entire world can forever enjoy a non-poo poo non-mac operating system. I literally just want windows 7 on every single PC till the end of time because all 8, 98.1 and 10 did was provide better compatibility for super new hardware and break things for reasons that the end user doesn't care about.

Like I have 8.1/10 on some of my PCs but if I didn't know certain things on them break under 7 I honestly couldn't give less of a poo poo and might just put 7 on them depending on whether the 7 install disc or the 10 install usb stick is closer to my desk during the next reinstall

quote:

unless satya tanks revenues the shareholders are loving him since Azure and O365 have colossal margins
gently caress saas paas iaas forever

quote:

all the shitbox computer janitors d.b.a. "IT departments" are gonna have to suck it up and deal with it. what're you gonna do, deploy linux? Apple is even more hardcore about deprecating old hardware.

Just go full "gently caress you" and implement BYOD for work laptops. Either it's a windows shitbox in which case MS Office will work or it's a Macbook in which case MS Office will work. Nothing could possibly go wrong.

Some state/local institutions in Germany have deployed linux/openoffice on the desktop by the way (probably didn't actually result in savings because the average civil servant will not be able to adjust though).

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jan 16, 2016

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

At least when the next Snapdragon and Zen are out Windows 10 will resemble a finished operating system :v:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
I was afraid of this. Alas.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

blowfish posted:

8, 98.1 and 10 did was provide better compatibility for super new hardware and break things for reasons that the end user doesn't care about.

lol

i mean if you want to ignore all the core OS upgrades and general stability and security upgrades (you aren't gonna get the hardening that happens between kernel upgrades on 7)

win10 is basically windows 7 take 2: electric boogaloo

blowfish posted:

gently caress saas paas iaas forever

:yaycloud: show us on the doll where the cloud touched you. windows is moving to a SaaS model w/ a legacy enterprise standalone licensing so i would get used to it.

blowfish posted:

Just go full "gently caress you" and implement BYOD for work laptops. Either it's a windows shitbox in which case MS Office will work or it's a Macbook in which case MS Office will work. Nothing could possibly go wrong.

unironically this. its not like some can't take photos of a work laptop and smuggle out data that way and your networks should be hardened against any user device being compromised

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Malcolm XML posted:

lol

i mean if you want to ignore all the core OS upgrades and general stability and security upgrades (you aren't gonna get the hardening that happens between kernel upgrades on 7)

win10 is basically windows 7 take 2: electric boogaloo
Note that I said "end user", not "developer" or "computer janitor". When I just want to do non-IT work on my computer I'm an end user. I care about my computer booting fast (only minor improvement from an upgrade to 8/10 if your 7 install is already on an SSD) and about all my applications and drivers working (they did under 7 until eventually less compatible hardware came out).

quote:

:yaycloud: show us on the doll where the cloud touched you. windows is moving to a SaaS model w/ a legacy enterprise standalone licensing so i would get used to it.
Yeah I'll get used to it but I don't have to like it. Adobe is particularly bad and SaaS must be really cheap (like, office 365 university cheap or cheaper) for me to not be particularly unhappy about it. If I'm particularly pissed I might just incorporate my own one man company that reports a continuous loss and basically exists to get me enterprise software and tax writeoffs till the tax office gets sick of giving me tax deductions for nothing :v:.

quote:

unironically this. its not like some can't take photos of a work laptop and smuggle out data that way and your networks should be hardened against any user device being compromised

Yeah and there's no reason to have big rear end Dell workstations in tyool 2016 when your office drones just do braindead work using, well, Office.

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jan 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

fishmech posted:

Er, you realize they already never provided support for CPUs substantially newer than an OS was intended for? There's almost never been updated setup environments made available for an already existing OS. I'm not sure how you're expecting such support to even exist, beyond "if the new CPU is compatible with a CPU from when the old version came out, the software runs", which is how it already works!

You can still run MS-DOS 6 and Windows 3.1 on a brand spanking new computer if you really want. You'll only be able to use one of the cores, either 256 or 512 MB of its RAM, and so on, but it'll "work".

The point according to the article is that they are going to explicitly stop providing updates, including most security updates to people with newer CPUs even if the operating system is still within its support period.

• Locked thread