Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
cherry and mandrake are definitely one of the most common bottlenecks you can encounter in alchemy if you don't think ahead and buy up the bartender's supply whenever you stop by a tavern

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Slashrat posted:

cherry and mandrake are definitely one of the most common bottlenecks you can encounter in alchemy if you don't think ahead and buy up the bartender's supply whenever you stop by a tavern

best options are one fo the dudes right by the entrance to crows perch and the bartender at the tavern in kaer trolde

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009
It's the little touches. There are just so many, my mind is overwhelmed.

This merchant from some podunk town and Geralt had a moment. The little smile Geralt gives is a little hard to show in a screenshot, but they understood each other.

The facial expressions are amazing. I should turn off subtitles since I felt like I was miss cool things reading them.

Plus, it's just loving gorgeous. My computer isn't even that great.

And their references are off the loving chain.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The art direction in this game really is splendid and it's hard for some people to realize this at a glance because it's also realistically so. But it's very much realistic in a well-researched, almost period piece sort of way rather than what passes for realism to the unimaginative. It helps that the lighting and weather engines are also pretty good, too.

But seriously how many games set in the middle ages or something like it have taken actual notes from history for things like buildings, armor, or even apparel. Not a lot of other games or, frankly, any media at all include armor like gambesons or those weird as gently caress chaperon headwraps that NPCs sometimes wear (including Roche and, clearly, that one merchant guy). Despite the fact that at some point in time, both of these things were extremely common in real life.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Yeah, where people comment on Geralt looking like a clown and whine they can't get to the good looking witcher sets I just see actual medieval armor and clothes with realistic ornamentation and colors and I love them.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Since I got a new graphics card I stopped doing fast travel. Walking around and just looking at everything is amazing in this game.

Taxxorrak
Jul 22, 2008

I have to play the game for several hours at a time to get anything out of it. I might just not be playing it often enough; and playing it incrementally in small pieces doesn't do it for me. Any one else feel this way?

TheHoosier
Dec 30, 2004

The fuck, Graham?!

Taxxorrak posted:

I have to play the game for several hours at a time to get anything out of it. I might just not be playing it often enough; and playing it incrementally in small pieces doesn't do it for me. Any one else feel this way?

I think the game does a good job of making even little side-quests interesting. Play a little gwent, shank a monster, shake down some bumpkin. Usually with a bit of nice storytelling or anecdote. YMMV though. My friend thinks Witcher is dry as gently caress and boring. I just :dogbutton: at him but don't say anything, the game is definitely pretty divisive.

Also, SPOILERS The Baron :( Yeah he was a drunk abusive poo poo, but I can't help but feel like I totally hosed things up. This game is real goddamn good. Poor fat gently caress hung himself due to my poor judgement. Anna loses her life, Tamara loses her mom, and the Baron offs himself, all because I wanted to save those orphans from getting eaten. And you know what? I don't know if it plays out later, but I'm not entirely sure they're going to be better off with the Evil Horse Spirit. gently caress.

TheHoosier fucked around with this message at 12:40 on Jan 16, 2016

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

captain innocuous posted:

It's the little touches. There are just so many, my mind is overwhelmed.

how are you hiding the hud in those nice screenshots?

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

TheHoosier posted:

Also, SPOILERS The Baron :( Yeah he was a drunk abusive poo poo, but I can't help but feel like I totally hosed things up. This game is real goddamn good. Poor fat gently caress hung himself due to my poor judgement. Anna loses her life, Tamara loses her mom, and the Baron offs himself, all because I wanted to save those orphans from getting eaten. And you know what? I don't know if it plays out later, but I'm not entirely sure they're going to be better off with the Evil Horse Spirit. gently caress.

Aftermath spoiler: If you save the kids, they eventually end up in the orphanage in Novigrad. The game is bleak, but not all the time.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

BBJoey posted:

Joe Gillian posted:

In Video options for the main game, you can disable HUD stuff. Use that to get rid of what you don't want on the screen.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I loving hate Hjalmar. "I should go with him. Make sure to keep him out of trouble. Cerys is a smart woman she'll figure out stuff here." Now he's the loving king and I hate him!

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Palpek posted:

Yeah, where people comment on Geralt looking like a clown and whine they can't get to the good looking witcher sets I just see actual medieval armor and clothes with realistic ornamentation and colors and I love them.

and all the people who seem to hate the griffin armor because its actually a realistic breastplate shape

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I loving hate Hjalmar. "I should go with him. Make sure to keep him out of trouble. Cerys is a smart woman she'll figure out stuff here." Now he's the loving king and I hate him!

Not getting involved is an option: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zjo57X2WgSQ (spoilers, obviously)

A Tasteful Nude
Jun 3, 2013

A cool anime hagrid pic (imagine nude pls)
I really like this game. It's like fantasy batman/vampire hunter. At first I thought fantasy batman was too anime coolguy, but now I just think it's funny when he grunts about his power level or whatever.

When should I buy the expansion? Like, should I beat the regular game first, and then get it? Or does it add mid-game sidequest type stuff?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

WoodrowSkillson posted:

and all the people who seem to hate the griffin armor because its actually a realistic breastplate shape

The griffin armor and that one iron breastplate look great. All the designs do!

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

A Tasteful Nude posted:

I really like this game. It's like fantasy batman/vampire hunter. At first I thought fantasy batman was too anime coolguy, but now I just think it's funny when he grunts about his power level or whatever.

When should I buy the expansion? Like, should I beat the regular game first, and then get it? Or does it add mid-game sidequest type stuff?

Its meant as endgame content, level 32.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Kopijeger posted:

Not getting involved is an option: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zjo57X2WgSQ (spoilers, obviously)

I can never bring myself to choose that "nope not interested" option. Gotta say I'm really disappointed in Skellige after doing more than just the main quest stuff there. Feels like the devs just got lazy there. It looks beautiful but the characters are really one dimensional and unrelatable for the most part. Plus they all have the same two voice actors doing the same two voices. Not to mention the loving sirens everywhere. Wolves I can deal with but sirens are a chore to kill every time.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I thought Skellige was better than Novigrad and the east half of Velen, personally. Running back and forth in Novigrad started to get old.

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009

BBJoey posted:

Press the Home key. It's actually a really great way to play the game, as you can still press tab and select new stuff, and when you do your health bar flashes. The only problem is getting lost.

I did see there was a Shadows of Mordor style mod, where you can pause the game and zoom the camera around for shots. I want to check it out, but on the other hand I don't think I need to add another 200 hours on this game.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I feel like spontaneously blurting this out:

This game is rad.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Megazver posted:

I feel like spontaneously blurting this out:

This game is rad.

Agreed, it's the best open world game and best RPG i've played probably ever. Supplanted baldur's gate 2 as my favorite game of all time, although we'll see in 10 years or so if i replay it to the same degree as I did that one.

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009
I can't recommend turning the HUD off when you fight. It makes it so much better. I need a mod that turns on Geralt's combat stance when he draws his sword immediately, and also turns off the HUD at the same time, and turns it back on and out of combat when he sheathes it. It sucks when he is out of combat and uses witcher senses against someone 15 ft away. And I get into trouble when he auto sheathes in the middle of a fight, and I press 2 again, and then we get into a feedback loop of drawing and sheathing all the while nekkers are chowing down.

One of my favorite fights so far

Against Hornton.

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

I really love how, I don't know, ironic this game can be. Overhear some peasant wenches talking about letting the Baron's men gently caress them for some compost to eat, or about how oh so poor they are. Then, loot two flawless sapphires the size of a mans fist and a pile of diamond dust from a sack in the corner of your shanty.

Oh, and this mod that allows witcher gear at any level is :krad: Death March is much more doable.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

andrew smash posted:

Agreed, it's the best open world game and best RPG i've played probably ever. Supplanted baldur's gate 2 as my favorite game of all time, although we'll see in 10 years or so if i replay it to the same degree as I did that one.

Yup, I'm thinking it will be a landmark game a decade from now. It's doing something new in defying the assumption of Bioware and Bethesda games that a huge open world RPG must necessarily be shallow. Sure, it's based on novels and two preceding games, but the amazing and consistent quality of the writing and animation make it a game that's both a mile wide and and a mile deep.

Without diving too much into :can: game comparisons, Fallout 4 is like the exact opposite of Witcher 3. F4 has better exploration and dungeon-diving, but the dialogue and writing is aggressively bad for the most part. Witcher 3 is on a completely different level with its dialogue and immersiveness.

I enjoy both games, but F4 is strictly an iteration of Bethesda's previous titles, it's good but not amazing. I love spending 30min to an hour exploring a new dungeon in Fallout 4, it's great for that but doesn't really hold my attention past an hour or so.

Meanwhile, Wild Hunt manages to be both a huge open world and consistently great at dialogue and creating an immersive and "realistic" experience.

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

Well I feel like a genuine bad rear end witcher. At level 10, I beat two level 21 wyverns at the same time, and the royal wyvern that came right after.

Pretty :smaug:

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

So holy cow, I finally finished witcher 1 (yay chapters 1 & 4, to heck with the rest of it), and geez that epilogue was a mess; I managed to hop on the boat without any swallow or ingredients, and ended up pouring hours into tackling the final boss rush without potions.

Terrible Horse
Apr 27, 2004
:I

Omi no Kami posted:

So holy cow, I finally finished witcher 1 (yay chapters 1 & 4, to heck with the rest of it), and geez that epilogue was a mess; I managed to hop on the boat without any swallow or ingredients, and ended up pouring hours into tackling the final boss rush without potions.

I'm playing Witcher 2 because I'm addicted to this world and its characters now. I wanted to play the whole series but Witcher 1 just looked god awful. Witcher 2 is a good game but is very frustrating sometimes, the biggest annoyance being that its not an open-world game, its a corridor dungeon game disguised as open world. The difference between 3 and 2 is staggering.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Terrible Horse posted:

I'm playing Witcher 2 because I'm addicted to this world and its characters now. I wanted to play the whole series but Witcher 1 just looked god awful. Witcher 2 is a good game but is very frustrating sometimes, the biggest annoyance being that its not an open-world game, its a corridor dungeon game disguised as open world. The difference between 3 and 2 is staggering.

I started 2 this afternoon and I'm definitely feeling the corridor thing, but it's honestly a breath of fresh air after 1; I forced myself through 1 because I wanna play 3 with a complete save file, and it was more open than 2, but in a lot of places it was also an example of how not to do open-world. Lots of stuff was interconnected to such an incestuous degree that I couldn't even remember what I was doing- "In order to progress the plot you need to solve this murder, but to solve the murder you need to get a witness statement, this witness won't talk to you until you finish his beast hunting contract, you can't finish that contract until you find some drugs for the jailer and roses for the gardener".

Joshmo
Aug 22, 2007

Protons posted:

Well I feel like a genuine bad rear end witcher. At level 10, I beat two level 21 wyverns at the same time, and the royal wyvern that came right after.

Pretty :smaug:

Yeah, that's what started selling me on those mods. With the exception of higher-level-than-you elementals and golems because you're sword is just no use against them and it takes 30,000 hits to knock them down, being able to go up against monsters with that red skull over their health bar and beating them down makes you feel awesome. Instead of running away like like Dandelion you can stay and fight.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Are there any actually good/important mods for W3? I poked around on the Nexus a bit and all I downloaded was one to to make crossbows do damage on land.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Speaking of mods I just installed the Nexus Mod Manager the other day and it's awesome how easy it makes downloading and managing mods, this thing is great.I'm using the show all quests on the map one which is a total gamechanger, I was surprised that the game handles quests so weirdly and this deals with most of my complaints. I also installed the real time meditation thing because I'm a sucker for those kind of effects in games (In MGS5 I'd just use the phantom cigar over and over). Also unlocked skill slots because I really think their handling of the skill slots was a bit off.

That said what are some good mods? I see a lot of graphical ones but some of them make the game look worse imo

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

is there a good reward for beating the halfings at gwent at the wedding in Hearts of Stone? Because I was sitting on a useless decoy all game and ahead by like 30 points until his last card which was mysterious elf into yennefer + thaler into stennis + geralt into triss + impenetrable fog to win and I almost threw my controller through my tv

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

is there a good reward for beating the halfings at gwent at the wedding in Hearts of Stone? Because I was sitting on a useless decoy all game and ahead by like 30 points until his last card which was mysterious elf into yennefer + thaler into stennis + geralt into triss + impenetrable fog to win and I almost threw my controller through my tv

you should lose that game, probably as the first thing you do at the wedding.

trust me.

captain innocuous
Apr 7, 2009

Ending spoiler

So not really at the end, apparently. The siege at Kaer Morhen isn't the end? Jesus Christ.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!

Protons posted:

I really love how, I don't know, ironic this game can be. Overhear some peasant wenches talking about letting the Baron's men gently caress them for some compost to eat, or about how oh so poor they are. Then, loot two flawless sapphires the size of a mans fist and a pile of diamond dust from a sack in the corner of your shanty.

Oh, and this mod that allows witcher gear at any level is :krad: Death March is much more doable.

Yeah I had to grab that mod for this mod that changes the Oathbreaker armor

The skirt bit flowing around as I chop off heads and limbs is super rad :c00l:

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

captain innocuous posted:

Ending spoiler

So not really at the end, apparently. The siege at Kaer Morhen isn't the end? Jesus Christ.

You're roughly two-thirds into the main quest lol.

The Belgian Devil
May 3, 2008

Ca plane pour moi

The Lone Badger posted:

Are there any actually good/important mods for W3? I poked around on the Nexus a bit and all I downloaded was one to to make crossbows do damage on land.

Well, two of the current front page mods are "All Nudes Bushy" and "Vagina's for Everyone" [sic]. Clearly must-have enhancements.

In all seriousness, no. The only mod that was worthwhile was the fix for the bug introduced in 1.10 that caused the scabbards on the NPC Witchers to disappear, but that's no longer needed as of patch 1.12. Everything else is cheats, terrible reshade presets, and vaginas.

There was a mod called School of the Roach that I was following for a while because it added back some cool looking TW2 armors, but it's full of bugs and basically abandoned now.

The Belgian Devil fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Jan 17, 2016

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Like I said earlier that mod that handles quests better is a lifesaver for me. SHows all the quests on your map so you can knock stuff out you happen to be close to instead of accidentally running past a quest 4 times on the way to a different quest. Also shows you the level range so you know whether to bother or not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Protons
Sep 15, 2012

I justified it to myself like this: I'm mother loving Geralt of Rivia. By this stage in the lore, I'm a witcher with decades of experience and adventure. I'm not some doey eyed witcher fresh off the Grasses table, ready to strike out and leave my mark, I've been doing this poo poo for decades son. I'm half way tempted to do the same for the oils and bombs ,because Geralt should know all those recipes by now.