Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien
He's got a game it seems to me,
Reminds him of childhood memories,
Where everything
Was as fresh as the bright blue sky.

But now and then when I see his face,
He takes me away to a horrible place,
And if I'd stare too long,
I'd probably break down and cry

Oh, oh, oh
Sweet goon o' mine
Oh, oh, oh, oh
Sweet goon of mine

He's got a connie that barely flies,
He's losing money like rain,
I always look into those eyes,
And see an ounce of pain.

His denial reminds me of a warm safe place,
Where as a child he'd hide.
And pray to Christ Roberts,
lord of the game,
To give him something to buy.

Oh, oh, oh
Sweet goon o' mine
Oh, oh, oh, oh
Sweet goon of mine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

canepazzo posted:

Wasn't there some redditor a few months back that was unironically saying Star Citiezen was a bigger and more complex project than landing man on the moon?

When you compensate for Chris Roberts' autism level and general ineptitude, that claim rings rather true.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

titaniumone posted:

I'm like 30 pages behind because I'm still reading about Warhammer chat because it's goofy and the lore is ridiculous but still interesting. I'm curious why stagnation of progress is a theme and why 10,000 year old armor etc is better than anything made modernly. Where can I read more dumb poo poo about these made up things?

Warhammer's so weird. It's this bleak 1970-80's british cultural parody, specifically of ww1, the catholic church, and soccer hooligans, but it's gotten so elaborate and convoluted that it's all but forgotten those roots and is now this commercial monstrosity with a rotating cast of writers much like the Star Wars Expanded Universe. I can't say I hate it because there's a lot of cool ideas in it- Ciaphas Cain is particularly entertaining- but it is increasingly difficult to love, anymore. I am still looking forward to the total war game for WH:Fantasy coming out this year but beyond that I just do not give a drat about the space marines and all their tie-ins, novels, games and spin off stuff. I really want to see a game where you are a grunt in the imperial army and the nearly-impossible objective of each level is to survive the battle for more than a minute.

fuzzknot
Mar 23, 2009

Yip yip yip yip yip

bumbles posted:

What's the deal with SL these days by the way? Not dabbled for some years...

They all got lives. :smuggo:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Scruffpuff posted:

When you compensate for Chris Roberts' autism level and general ineptitude, that claim rings rather true.
Chris Roberts's version of the moon landing is Apollo 1.

DonVincenzo
Nov 12, 2010

Super Monster
The Absolute Guardian of the Universe
Friend of All Children
Translation for page 3 sorry for the mangled english, I tried my best.

Translation for the main body

Star Citizen father had a lot of differing claims about the genesis and the first goal of its project. During the initial anouncement he assures he has been working with a team of a dozen people on the prototype itself and the pictures shown were taken from it. He even tells the gaming press it cost him $ 1M gathered from various investors. He will then switch the initial team size to "a few" and even "only part-time members" after the initial first wave of criticisms, causing him to postpone the release date.

How much does one Star Citizen cost?
According to Chris, he first intended to go back to video games with a Wing Commander licensed game for consoles, possibly in partnership with Electronic Arts. The first few successful Kickstarters (namely the Double Fine ones) convinced him to try his luck, backed by investors. The yet (and probably never) to be named investors were ready to chip in for the budget if the kickstarter reached at least $ 2M. Chris had a goal set between $ 2M and $ 4M for an overall budget of $ 10-12M. For comparison sake, Elite Dangerous initial budget was $ 12M (including the $ 2,5M Kickstarter) which Braben said increased further. One thing to keep in mind is Elite was much less ambitious than Star Citizen which promised: a single player Wing Commander-like game with a subscription-less MMO component and the interaction and economy system of Eve Online.

This seems absolutely impossible with a budget of $ 12M starting from scratch when Frontier Development has been releasing 2 games a year since 1994. Chris Roberts subsequently went on saying he always wanted to release a game with a minimum $ 15M budget, then going on to say his true game would require $ 20M which would equate a publisher $ 40M.

Translation for the green thing on the right

Star Citizen a swept-wing project:

The aim and goals of the game have evolved over three years and the successful milestones

2012 promises:
-Epic 30 missions single player campaign
-Sandbox mode with coop play
-Multiplayer mode self-hosted

2015 promises:
-Epic 50 missions single player campaign with FAMOUS ACTORS
-Sandbox mode with coop and PvP play
-Orbital stations to capture and manage
-Ship boardin
-FPS mode in ships, stations and planets
-Universe including 100 inhabited solar systems
-procedural generation of planets
-fine-tuning and advanced customization of ships

Translation of the blue thing
A genuine autodefense mechanism mixing hope, self-persuasion and a bit of resignation from players

Translation for the comic
You shouldn't need one :/

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

G0RF posted:

"Nobody throws Sandi under the bus."

She knows martial arts and will use her attackers momentum against them. The 15/15 vision also should not be underestimate in combat situations.

Is 15/15 supposed to be the new 20/20 or does it actually mean anything?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

DonVincenzo posted:

-Epic 50 missions single player campaign with FAMOUS ACTORS

This brings up another thought I've had. When you're trying to sell someone on immersion, and you're making the mistake of using mo-cap the way Chris uses it, recognizable actors are the LAST thing you want. There are very skilled voice actors out there who can absolutely disappear into a role, which is critical. Nothing pulls you out of a game faster than "Look, it's Gary Oldman! Hey, this guy sounds like Mark Strong! OMG is that Gillian Anderson! Wait, who's this stupid bitch called 'Pusher', god she sucks!" and so on. Chris's real goal with this game is pathetically transparent.

Pity Party Animal
Jul 23, 2006

Fall of the Whales

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Concierge card came in

OP's card:

quote:

The printed portion is upside down... was the whole run like that?

Someone else's

quote:

searching through others that recieved them so far it looks like yours was printed up side down

:allears:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

CrazyLoon posted:

It means she has gone through an unorthodox eye exam and has normal vision, at least at short distances.
She can see clearly at 15' (the first number) what a normal person can see clearly at 15' (the second number). Usually, 20' is the benchmark distance for both.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014
Translation - Page 3

Star citizen father has made numerous and widely diverging declaration on the genesis and first objectives of the project. In hi initial announcement, he insure us than the game has already been in production for twelves months with a ten member team and that the prototype corresponded to what this team has developed. He even told the press than the « preparatory year » had cost a million dollars, gathered form a pool of investors. He will later on reduce the size of this team to « a few persons » , sometime even telling they where only working on it part time. These stories started to change more and more with the arrival of the first questions about the lack of tangible progress of the game, allowing him to push forward the start date of the project, giving him an advantage in altering the perspective on the delays. The same method is applied to the conceptual budget, which is not something you see often.

How much does a Star Citizen cost ?

If you listen to his helmsman, his first idea from 2010 was to get back in the Video Game business with a title designed for next gen console (PS4 and Xbox One) under the Wing Commander License in a partnership with EA. The success of Kickstarter campaign like those of Double Fine tempting him to risk the adventure with the public, backed by investors.

Those investors, (never named, now abandoned) where, according to him, willing to complete the necessary budget if the crowdfunding amounted to a minimum of 2 millions dollars. Chris Roberts was aiming at a budget between 2 and 4 millions coming from the public, for a total budget of 10 to 12 millions. As a comparison, the initial budget of Elite: dangerous was of 12 millions (including the kickstarter 2.5 millions) and according to David Braben, ultimately grew a lot after the initial idea. Elite :Dangerous ambitions where a lot less than Star Citizen, who promised a solo game similar to Wing Commander, a MMO aspect without subscription and a global economy and territory control similar to EVE online, the whole wrapped and delivered for 2014, please.

Wanting to make everything hold in a 12 millions budget while building a studio form the ground up (while Frontier development was delivering 2 games a year since 1994) is completely unreal. After that, Christ Roberts, giving contradictions freely, successively declared « Always wanting to make a 15 million game minimum » then that « His real game needed 20 million minimum » (once that amount reached by the backers) but that those 20 millions where, in reality, equivalent to a 40 million budget under a classic publisher.

(Green text sidebar)
Star Citizen : A variable geometry project

In 3 years, the definition of the game has evolved along with the growing numbers of millions and promised functionality.

2012 Promises :
- A 30 mission epic solo campaign.
- A sandbox mode with coop and persistence.
- A multiplayer mode with private servers.

2015 promises :
- A 50 mission epic solo campaign with famous actors.
- A sandbox mode with PvP, coop and persistence.
- Orbital stations to conquer and manage.
- Ship boarding.
- Fps combat in ships, planets and stations.
- 100 habitable solar systems universe.
- Procedural generation of planets.
- Advanced upgrading and customization of ships.

Cartoon :

Boulder Dash, Starring Christ Roberts
(And Hop !)
(HueHue)
(Too easy!)

Tl;Dr : Chris keep changing his mind about the start date of the project, his objective, and the budget needed. Quick comparison to elite:dangerous who promised less with a higher budget (compared to the initial, 2-4M project, not the 100M monstrosity we see now) and a more experienced, established studio. Author observe building the game AND the studio at the same time is unrealistic.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

aleksendr posted:

Author observe building the game AND the studio at the same time is unrealistic.

Amen to that. I compare Roberts to people who win the lottery, immediately buy giant houses, expensive cars, and all the best everything, and go bankrupt in years - rather than the process of investing your capital into a infrastructure that offers returns, and budgeting a portion of those returns into the occasional luxury.

There's nothing this fucker doesn't do backwards.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Star Citizen: Our first bug free patch will be the ingame store adding patch

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

aleksendr posted:

Translation of Page 1

Tl;Dr : Star Citizen has a bigger budget than nearly every PC exclusive game in History. Christ Roberts is in charge and his young self released a genre defining game 25 years ago.

Thank you for this, I can't wait to read it all... you are awesome.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

BigglesSWE posted:

So I've been listening alot to Beatles recently because they were added to Spotify (and because they're awesome).

Listened Rubber Soul and a neat little song comes along:

He's a real nowhere man
Sitting in his nowhere land
Making all his nowhere plans for nobody

Doesn't have a point of view
Knows not where he's going to
Isn't he a bit like you and me?

Nowhere Man, please listen
You don't know what you're missing
Nowhere Man, the world is at your command

He's as blind as he can be
Just sees what he wants to see
Nowhere Man can you see me at all?

Nowhere Man, don't worry
Take your time, don't hurry
Leave it all till somebody else lends you a hand

Doesn't have a point of view
Knows not where he's going to
Isn't he a bit like you and me?

Nowhere Man, please listen
You don't know what you're missing
Nowhere Man, the world is at your command

He's a real Nowhere Man
Sitting in his nowhere land

I know we've been doing a lot of "change the lyrics of a song to fit with SC" but honestly, this is almost creepily accurate.

Goddamn Beatles, so ahead of the curve, they sang about shitizens way back in the sixties.

Damnit I can't believe I didn't get that one! :haw:

Einbauschrank
Nov 5, 2009

SelenicMartian posted:

Chris Roberts's version of the moon landing is Apollo 1.

By the end of two weeks we will have a man on the moon.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

I probably could have matched more accurately but didn't want to spend ages on it, fairly close already imho.

gipskrampf
Oct 31, 2010
Nap Ghost
Star Citizen: Baleines dans l'espace

Aleksendr, if you need any help translating the article, I've nothing to do for the rest of the evening.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

MeLKoR posted:

e: Lowtax please stop playing SC with your daughter, you're giving the game away. :dawkins101:

We pay $5 just to change our avatar, so surely people do this all the time, I guess? man, I got my account and my avatar from a thread and that's it. Like fifteen bucks total on this forum years ago. That isn't even the base cost of the game, much less more than the thousands they pay for JPEGs.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

AP posted:

I probably could have matched more accurately but didn't want to spend ages on it, fairly close already imho.

lol

CashEnsign
Feb 7, 2015
Sounds promising

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

CrazyLoon posted:

Sandi bragged about her "15/15 vision" during an episode of RtV. It's now a shorthand joke for erroneous bragging, a Sandi speciality.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

CashEnsign posted:

Sounds promising

I'm willing to believe this person isn't actually a goon because 'a one time honest debate with no name callng or attacks' sounds like the least entertaining outcome possible

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I formally nominate beer and Derek to represent goon is the great debate

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Daztek posted:

Concierge card came in

OP's card:

Someone else's

:allears:

"World's Greatest Saleswoman". She will make you spend $1000 for the right to spend $10 more for proof of your profligacy, and will ship you crap product to serve as a reminder of your gullibility.

Pro-level ball-kicking right there.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
I suggest sending a goon to praise SC to high heaven and encourage all the backers to spend every last penny, really lay it on thick.

Comedy answer : send Googlebutt because he deserves it.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
^^^^ My vote is that we send Fishmech.

canepazzo posted:

Wasn't there some redditor a few months back that was unironically saying Star Citiezen was a bigger and more complex project than landing man on the moon?

The moon? Don't be silly, they didn't say that.

They said Star Citizen was more complex a project than landing on Mars.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Tippis posted:

It means she has gone through an unorthodox eye exam and has normal vision, at least at short distances.
She can see clearly at 15' (the first number) what a normal person can see clearly at 15' (the second number). Usually, 20' is the benchmark distance for both.

Oh right, feet. That crazy imperial measurement americans insist upon.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Google Butt posted:

I second Beer, but suggest Bootcha over Derek.

Not because Derek can't debate but because his inclusion makes any discussion the "Derek Smart Told You So" session and will frame the conflict incorrectly.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Google Butt posted:

Apparently I am bad for debating because I have opinions and stubbornly support them with detailed arguments.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

G0RF posted:

I second Beer, but suggest Bootcha over Derek.

Not because Derek can't debate but because his inclusion makes any discussion the "Derek Smart Told You So" session and will frame the conflict incorrectly.

Bootcha nda etc

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
it seems to me that the consensus in that thread is "gently caress off", so I don't really see it happening.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Google Butt posted:

Bootcha nda etc

Bootcha already said he would. He doesn't have to spill inside information to critique the project and direction. It's not like he has a gag-order - he just can't disclose terms of his transactions with CIG and stuff like that.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Evil Fluffy posted:

^^^^ My vote is that we send Fishmech.

The moon? Don't be silly, they didn't say that.

They said Star Citizen was more complex a project than landing on Mars.
I believe you were wondering about RSI mods posting in purple and whether that was an official rule. This should answer that question.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/1529177/#Comment_1529177

CashEnsign
Feb 7, 2015

A Neurotic Jew posted:

it seems to me that the consensus in that thread is "gently caress off", so I don't really see it happening.

Never not believe in the power of friendship. Some really good posts could happen with only a little faith.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

CashEnsign posted:

Sounds promising

It's me with the Snipping Tool.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/419whv/redditor_vs_goon_lets_have_a_real_honest_debate/cz0og8c

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Einbauschrank posted:

By the end of two weeks we will have a man on the moon.
Unless everyone burns on the ground during testing.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

G0RF posted:

Bootcha already said he would. He doesn't have to spill inside information to critique the project and direction. It's not like he has a gag-order - he just can't disclose terms of his transactions with CIG and stuff like that.

There are some beans to spill in addition.

I'd still have Derek as my debate coach, because if anything I too want a lovely soundbyte the likes of

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?
Another french newspaper has picked up on the Star Citizen controversy:

I'm guessing Beer is Dreyfus...

• Locked thread