Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I could never play that game. It's too spooky for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Ineffiable posted:

Exactly, people will remember bad movies like Zardoz and The Room because they have stuff that people will remember. Bad games are just the same way. If you're mediocre, then you're still probably bad because you won't remember much a month later. But if you're so bad and people talk about it years later, then you're so bad it's good.

Nah, there's a reason why aggressively average games lie Assassins Creed, Madden and CoD sell. It isn't because they're horrible.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?
I'm pretty excited to try out Oxenfree (http://store.steampowered.com/app/388880/); I thought it was coming out tomorrow but it seems to have been released early?

Also while Pony Island seemed like a super gimmicky idea, it actually plays out as a pretty fun horror title.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

Improbable Lobster posted:

Nah, there's a reason why aggressively average games lie Assassins Creed, Madden and CoD sell. It isn't because they're horrible.
With this being said, drat do I not remember anything from the rear end Creeds and CoDs I've played.

Like, in AC2 there's a fist fight with the pope, and some poo poo about Adam and Eve, and MW2 had the QTE final boss in the desert, and that's all I got.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Butt Ghost posted:

With this being said, drat do I not remember anything from the rear end Creeds and CoDs I've played.

Like, in AC2 there's a fist fight with the pope, and some poo poo about Adam and Eve, and MW2 had the QTE final boss in the desert, and that's all I got.

Sure, but they sell like hotcakes and get good scores across the board. Even if they aren't worth talking about you could probably pick one up now and have a good time. The only thing a terrible game is good for is laughing at and maybe discussing why it was terrible years later.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

I'm not disagreeing with you, I was just following up on what ineffiable said. I probably should have quoted him.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Niggurath posted:

I'm pretty excited to try out Oxenfree (http://store.steampowered.com/app/388880/); I thought it was coming out tomorrow but it seems to have been released early?

Also while Pony Island seemed like a super gimmicky idea, it actually plays out as a pretty fun horror title.

Wtf this dropped out of nowhere. I feel like its been a couple months since I saw the first gameplay video and there's been almost complete silence leading up to its sudden release? None of the usual suspects are even talking about it, like Polygon would be slobbering all over this but they've had one feature and then nothing.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Oxenfree is a real good game if you're wondering. It's supernatural, but not really out and out horror though.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Jan 15, 2016

Wanton Spoon
Aug 19, 2007

Senior Burgeoner

Yeah, I just finished Oxenfree, and it's not scary, but it is atmospheric.

Something I've noticed as I've gotten older is that, even though I still follow horror games to a certain extent, I'm not interested in scaring myself. I'm more interested in horror games because a lot of them are really good at conveying these dark, solitary experiences, like walking through an abandoned building at night. Rather than scary, I actually find that very comforting in its own way.

Oxenfree has that kind of thing going for it, but mostly it works really well as a Telltale-style choice game. It's a hang-out-with-your-weird-friends-on-a-haunted-island simulator, and conversations make up the bulk of the gameplay. I'm not sure how many different alternate paths there are to take, but it's pretty great that you get to choose practically every single sentence that comes out of the main character's mouth.

Outside of dialogue options, the other 5% of gameplay is slowly tuning radio frequencies, which... got old really fast...

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Yeah, I only got to play about an hour of it last night (up until I got mysteriously teleported out of a spooky cave after talking with a triangle) and so far I'm really enjoying it. The dialogue can be funny at times but it's reasonably well acted, and it honestly feels closer to actual teenage dialogue than 'Life is Strange'. And the radio mechanic is pretty fun to me, though I'll have to see how I feel in a couple of hours.

The only thing I'm not liking is that the time limit to make dialogue decisions is a bit small and I've easily found myself missing out on dialogue options cause I wasn't sure if I should wait for the other characters to finish talking....though I'm still a bit unsure what the dialogue options are changing. Like sometimes I'll see thought bubbles pop up with character faces but i don't know if that denotes some emotional or story change.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Cowman posted:

HarshlyCritical just uploaded a video of the latest Indie Horror game darling called Rides With Strangers and I think it's a neat idea. I hope it changes things up by having harmless but creepy strangers and less obvious cues but for a kickstarter idea demo it's pretty cool. I thought the VA was pretty over the top creepy but I really like the idea behind it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwrSNJi2yI8

VA is fairly silly but the ambiance is nice. Be interesting to get different drivers picking you up.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

I don't suppose there's a video without the talking streamcam?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Butt Ghost posted:

I'm not disagreeing with you, I was just following up on what ineffiable said. I probably should have quoted him.

The point was it has to be so bad and bizarre that it's funny. If the no face glitch was very common in the AC games people would play them ironically to see every cutscene acted by skeletons with some organs.

You said it yourself. Assassin's Creed is just mediocre. It has to be badder than that to be remembered.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Ineffiable posted:

The point was it has to be so bad and bizarre that it's funny. If the no face glitch was very common in the AC games people would play them ironically to see every cutscene acted by skeletons with some organs.

You said it yourself. Assassin's Creed is just mediocre. It has to be badder than that to be remembered.

I think Assassin's Creed and the current Call of Duty series actually started off on the right foot and only faltered when they began pumping games out like crazy. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare was actually a really nice FPS for its time and shook up the series by transitioning from the tired old World War II to a modern setting. But the plots began getting crazier and crazier with each subsequent installment, until Treyarch split into making its own continuity of games that are just the most over-the-top gory action movies they could produce.

Assassin's Creed, likewise, started out as an interesting (if somewhat unfinished) concept that incorporated a modern storyline and Crusade-era action fairly smoothly. Assassin's Creed 2 honestly made a huge leap, with a much greater color palette and highly improved gameplay combined with more interesting characters and a less formulaic storyline progression. But they had their B-team hurl new Ezio stories out like clockwork every year while the main team worked on their new Revolutionary War entry into the series, which promised to be huge but ended up having the world's weirdest pacing (2 hour tutorial as a different character! Another several hours of tutorial and character building before opening the world properly!) and very stunted character development. Since then, the series has made yearly releases that vary in how fun they actually are and culminated in releasing a Triple-A title that was completely broken, the same year that they released a previous generation exclusive for some bizarre reason.

Assassin's Creed probably would have been a much better series if they logically continued on from 2, releasing the sequel a few years later and following up on their "Different time period for each installment" concept. Take it easy and work on making each game top notch instead of trying to saturate the market and get maximum dollar value out of it.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

chitoryu12 posted:

Take it easy and work on making each game top notch instead of trying to saturate the market and get maximum dollar value out of it.

I'd like to see a horror game deal with the soulessness of modern capitalism. It shouldn't be too hard, like, you could have a game about being a medical insurance company. Jack up prices and slash benefits for the lower policies to supplement the higher paid ones. Bully local hospitals into pushing your policies on the poors or withold the money they need to function (but make sure you make yourself look better than the pharmaceutical companies doing the same thing!) When an executive gets a bonus you can have a shot of a rich dude on a beach while someone dies from an easily preventable infection juxtaposed.

Hell if you set it in the US you can pretty much use any institution!

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

OxMan posted:

I'd like to see a horror game deal with the soulessness of modern capitalism. It shouldn't be too hard, like, you could have a game about being a medical insurance company. Jack up prices and slash benefits for the lower policies to supplement the higher paid ones. Bully local hospitals into pushing your policies on the poors or withold the money they need to function (but make sure you make yourself look better than the pharmaceutical companies doing the same thing!) When an executive gets a bonus you can have a shot of a rich dude on a beach while someone dies from an easily preventable infection juxtaposed.

Hell if you set it in the US you can pretty much use any institution!

This was pretty much the first Bioshock.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

OxMan posted:

I'd like to see a horror game deal with the soulessness of modern capitalism.

Play Cart Life. The truest, most crushingly horrific game.

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER

Kokoro Wish posted:

Play Cart Life. The truest, most crushingly horrific game.

poo poo I completely forgot about cart life, yeah!

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

HIJK posted:

VA is fairly silly but the ambiance is nice. Be interesting to get different drivers picking you up.

They need to make it multiplayer. Imagine going up against somebody role-playing a killer who has to get through X number of questions from a list of topics before they can attack. Someone starts asking too fast...

Maybe bad answers by the hitching player could reduce questions til attack.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Cowman posted:

HarshlyCritical just uploaded a video of the latest Indie Horror game darling called Rides With Strangers and I think it's a neat idea. I hope it changes things up by having harmless but creepy strangers and less obvious cues but for a kickstarter idea demo it's pretty cool. I thought the VA was pretty over the top creepy but I really like the idea behind it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwrSNJi2yI8

I could never play this game but I really hope it gets funded.

Butt Ghost
Nov 23, 2013

The guy making the game left a comment saying "Hey Man, thanks for playing my game. Great job on play. You're one of the only few who actually played the game correctly."

Oh man, I hope he isn't one of those people...

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

Butt Ghost posted:

The guy making the game left a comment saying "Hey Man, thanks for playing my game. Great job on play. You're one of the only few who actually played the game correctly."

Those people?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Artists

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

That game idea and short demo is fascinating and horrific as poo poo but something about the kickstarter and its tonality makes me feel it'll either never get funded or they'll manage to hugely gently caress it up.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

RadicalR posted:

Those people?

I get a little wary when a developer has to point out the "correct" way to play a game. On the extreme end it's pretentious and haughty but usually it means they failed to communicate their intent through the actual game play.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

oh god that hitchhiking game wants to do rift support

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"

Butt Ghost posted:

Very easy to read that quote in the voice of the driver.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

If there's not a Large Marge easter egg I'll be disappointed.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

al-azad posted:

I get a little wary when a developer has to point out the "correct" way to play a game. On the extreme end it's pretentious and haughty but usually it means they failed to communicate their intent through the actual game play.

Very true, but there is also that contingent of players that treat horror games (and movies) like a personal challenge as if they're proving something to someone by not getting spooked. Of course I'm not sure what the 'correct' way is the dev is talking about, it could very well be some easily exploitable mechanic they need to fix

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Honestly to some amount I just think he might have meant that HC picked up on actually playing the game pretty quick, well he edited past any fumbling at least.

Having watched a few other people play it, I'm almost surprised some ever found out how to get cars to stop. :v:

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Hey Rule of Rose is ten years old today.

Now if only Sony would release it on PSN so people don't have to pay an arm and a leg or emulate it to play it.

:smith:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Accordion Man posted:

Hey Rule of Rose is ten years old today.

Now if only Sony would release it on PSN so people don't have to pay an arm and a leg or emulate it to play it.

:smith:

If you're in a country with GameStop it's $20. You can even walk into a GameStop and go "hey guys this game isn't here but it's in another state, can you order it?" And if you have decent employees there they'll place some phone calls and have it sent to that store.

I got my Raidou vs Soulless Army for $15 before the reprint when it was $$$ online doing that.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Len posted:

If you're in a country with GameStop it's $20. You can even walk into a GameStop and go "hey guys this game isn't here but it's in another state, can you order it?" And if you have decent employees there they'll place some phone calls and have it sent to that store.

I got my Raidou vs Soulless Army for $15 before the reprint when it was $$$ online doing that.
Ah, that's good to hear at least. It's one of my all time favorite games but even I wouldn't recommend paying current Amazon prices for it. $20 is a really good deal though. If you can stomach clunky as hell combat and slow pacing, it has one of the very best narratives in video games.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jan 20, 2016

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Accordion Man posted:

Ah, that's good to hear at least. It's one of my all time favorite games but even I wouldn't recommend paying current Amazon prices for it. $20 is a really good deal though. If you can stomach clunky as hell combat and slow pacing, it has one of the very best narratives in video games.

I learned to play A Love Suicide on piano from a pic off the pre order cd, and to this day I can still pick the tune out. Good game.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Is there a good LP of Rule of Rose anywhere? I checked youtube and it appeared that the two best friends people (Maybe?) did one but it was just them guffawing over the whole thing. I know nothing about that game besides the fact it's pretty weird so I wanted something more akin to Egomaniac's Siren playthroughs.

God, they were good.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

ChogsEnhour posted:

Is there a good LP of Rule of Rose anywhere? I checked youtube and it appeared that the two best friends people (Maybe?) did one but it was just them guffawing over the whole thing. I know nothing about that game besides the fact it's pretty weird so I wanted something more akin to Egomaniac's Siren playthroughs.

God, they were good.

Pat and Matt actually like Rule of Rose, they just give the gameplay a ton of poo poo, fairly I would say.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

ChogsEnhour posted:

God, they were good.

http://lparchive.org/Rule-of-Rose/

I found this LP to be fantastic and it covered practically everything in the game.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
The only drawback from some of the recent LPs is that they do miss out on some things because some plot elements are obscured by having some stuff being optional and sort of hidden away, its one of the very few things the game gets wrong narrative wise.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Jan 20, 2016

Sad Mammal
Feb 5, 2008

You see me laughin

ChogsEnhour posted:

God, they were good.

The Best Friends people are pretty irreverent, but the only thing they really mock in the game is the control scheme and how poorly balanced enemy encounters are. They both call it a hidden gem of survivor horror.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

Sad Mammal posted:

The Best Friends people are pretty irreverent, but the only thing they really mock in the game is the control scheme and how poorly balanced enemy encounters are. They both call it a hidden gem of survivor horror.
I don't know, the videos I found of them doing the game was them endlessly spouting hot, non-funny garbage from their mouth. Rule of Rose is a lovely game that has some questionable (and super boring game play) but it deserves better than whatever tripe that poo poo is. Hell, even watching this guy as he dramatically reads everything in the game is better than those pieces of poo poo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0o1mSZ7nZ-M