Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Doctor Butts posted:

First game back from break and still trying to get over a cold. Was trying to chase down a defender/puck in their zone, got lazy picking my legs up to push, lost my balance and slid into the goal. Knocked the net off. Team cheered. I did the ol' archer celebration. Good times.

Classic Butts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Doctor Butts posted:

First game back from break and still trying to get over a cold. Was trying to chase down a defender/puck in their zone, got lazy picking my legs up to push, lost my balance and slid into the goal. Knocked the net off. Team cheered. I did the ol' archer celebration. Good times.

Are you confusing real life with NHL 16 again?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

No he actually played real life hockey

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

Bradf0rd posted:

Are you confusing real life with NHL 16 again?

Controller disconnected.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Bootcha posted:

Controller disconnected.

I heard Ovechkin recently celebrated his 500th career controller D/C on the backcheck recently. Really impressive milestone.

KnightProjekt
Aug 14, 2006

My streak of crappy teams continues.... Both teams I have been added to this season are playing above the level they should be at.

For one of the teams, this is their first season in 5v5(they played 4v4 before). They are decent skaters, but you can tell they are not used to the larger surface and faster game.

The other team I found out was playing in the Copper division last season, and somehow they were moved up 2 levels and are now Upper Bronze? There is one decent forward, but the rest should be playing down a level.

I just want to play on a decent team :(

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Ex presidents were a good team at Toyota 4v4. I see they didn't have at least one of their key skaters, not sure if he missed the first game or isn't skating with them anymore.

But you are playing your first game with them. Seems weird to be complaining or writing off the team as crappy already? That division last year finished with all but 1 team within a game or so of making the playoffs. The team you played has from what I heard the best single player in the league. And their goalie is really pretty good. 6 of us played on that team 2 seasons ago before we got kicked out. I would give it some time.

Your other team, welp. Not sure how they got moved up but as I understand it they have 4 good skaters of which you'd be one of them. It might be a tough year for you on that team as the Blades are good and chippy, Wolverines (other new team) look really good and tied blades who we played in the championship, Flaming Dragons are having people show up now (or at least did in game one), the team you played has 4 awesome players when they all show up and I think they added a 5th, we won 3 championships in a row (but lost a few key people this season) and the worst team in the league is now down a division. But we lost to every team last year, had a ton of one goal games, I'd see if you can put something together with the good guys. A lot of that division are teams with 3-4 stand out skaters and a few weak links. so if y'all can get your 3-4 guys g going and match it up correctly, you probably have a shot?

if it helps, ask to schedule the dragons when space-x is on deadline or launching a rocket. they don't have people show up or, upon a successful launch/landing/event, will show up falling over themselves drunk.

Edit: also they have us on the Thursday schedule. I do not think we'll be skating in that division. So don't worry about us there.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jan 13, 2016

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.
Witnessed my first ever what was probably a concussion last night. One of their guys is bringing the puck into our zone, and the forward covering him goes for what looked - from my vantage on the bench twenty feet away - like a hip check or...something? and in ducking low to get under the other guy basically put his head directly into the path of an unintended elbow. Out cold. Spent about ten seconds on his back with his hands twitching and hovering just above his chest. Needed a lot of help getting off the ice over the next few minutes, and despite all of us trying to get him a ride home I am pretty sure he left on his own and will not be seeing a doctor.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Habibi posted:

Witnessed my first ever what was probably a concussion last night. One of their guys is bringing the puck into our zone, and the forward covering him goes for what looked - from my vantage on the bench twenty feet away - like a hip check or...something? and in ducking low to get under the other guy basically put his head directly into the path of an unintended elbow. Out cold. Spent about ten seconds on his back with his hands twitching and hovering just above his chest. Needed a lot of help getting off the ice over the next few minutes, and despite all of us trying to get him a ride home I am pretty sure he left on his own and will not be seeing a doctor.

90% chance that dude could not get himself out of his own bed this morning.

Pinky Artichoke
Apr 10, 2011

Dinner has blossomed.

Pleads posted:

90% chance that dude could not get himself out of his own bed this morning.

Hopefully he wasn't in that bed alone without supervision, too. Yikes.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

Habibi posted:

I forgot what that reflex is called when people put their arms out and stiffen up, but that happens during a sever concussion. People really need to understand that when someone gets knocked out they could be in a state worse than sever-drunkenness and someone needs to have the balls to step in and take them to the hospital or at the very least drive them home. He should not have been allowed to drive.

edit: ah here is it, "Fencing responce" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fencing_response

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

Nitramster posted:

I forgot what that reflex is called when people put their arms out and stiffen up, but that happens during a sever concussion. People really need to understand that when someone gets knocked out they could be in a state worse than sever-drunkenness and someone needs to have the balls to step in and take them to the hospital or at the very least drive them home. He should not have been allowed to drive.

edit: ah here is it, "Fencing responce" https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fencing_response

That diagram

A. Get hit.
B. Fist bump, bro
C. You leaving me hanging, dawg

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Yeah, concussions are no joke. Go to the loving hospital if you lose consciousness or even get your bell rung if the ringing doesn't stop.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!
Ace and I saw a forward come flying into the zone on the left wing and take a shot at full speed from about 5 feet away from the crease, then lose his edge as he was banking hard to turn behind the net. Dude high sided like a motorcyclist whipping over his ride and went head first into the boards and not move for a few seconds, then he was on the ice for about 3 minutes.

Refs let him back in next shift :psyduck:

Acethomas
Sep 21, 2004

NHL 1451 684 773 1457

Nitramster posted:

Ace and I saw a forward come flying into the zone on the left wing and take a shot at full speed from about 5 feet away from the crease, then lose his edge as he was banking hard to turn behind the net. Dude high sided like a motorcyclist whipping over his ride and went head first into the boards and not move for a few seconds, then he was on the ice for about 3 minutes.

Refs let him back in next shift :psyduck:

I still can't believe he came back, I was a little deeper in the zone and saw it at a side angle, and saw his face hit the boards, it looked so bad. Next time I was heading into a corner chasing the puck I realized it was him ahead of me and just let him have it, didn't want to get near him and the boards at the same time.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

A vomiting flu and a concussion are like the only two injuries that have kept me from playing hockey in my life (the vomiting flu out of consideration for teammates).

I did finish the game where I wonged my noggin but I didn't have any symptoms until the next day.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Scored a goal tonight from beyond center ice. It was a floater, and somehow it beat the goalie 5 hole. We went on to win by 1.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

shyduck posted:

Scored a goal tonight from beyond center ice. It was a floater, and somehow it beat the goalie 5 hole. We went on to win by 1.

It's always acceptable to make fun of goalies, but I love it when ours gives up one like this. They always have to buy the first round of beers.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
I picked up a Tron 75 flex stick and I'm loving it. Whippy sticks forever now.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you
We had our first practice/game on tuesday.

The ice had turned into poo poo during the day, because it's so cold the ice gets pretty brittle, with huge scars and a few holes. I can't wear my glasses with my helmet, and my lenses haven't arrived yet, so I can't see for poo poo while playing, so early in the game I fell on my rear end while trying to get into position for a tap in goal. While looking for the hole that made me fall down, I deflected a shot from the blue line into the goal.

It was a great time.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

calandryll posted:

62 flex Easton intermediate here :hf:

Maddot_66
Apr 4, 2007
Take the bomb to C, C Dammit!!

:dukedog:

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

62 flex Easton intermediate here :hf:

115 Bauer supreme :colbert:

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001
Im using an old wood blade jammed into a pool noodle

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

calandryll posted:

I've had their TronX Heat for the past year and loved it. So much whip on it that every shot goes top shelf with ease. It's held up really well too.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Week 1.5 with hellacious lace-bite. Anyone got any tips other than vitamin-I, ice, rest, and beer?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

How do you tie your skates?

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Dangerllama posted:

Week 1.5 with hellacious lace-bite. Anyone got any tips other than vitamin-I, ice, rest, and beer?

I always make sure the laces are flat and not twisted thin. Keeps it from digging in so much.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Why don't people wear mouth guards? I mean i get that a half shield gives you a dramatic performance increase, but do you gain anything by not protecting your teeth at all?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Chemmy posted:

How do you tie your skates?

With his hands, I'd guess.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

With his hands, I'd guess.

Didn't know you had a kid, congrats dad!

Loosen skates though. Loose as can be. Leave top rivet unlaced and tight for the next two. Rest are loose.

After that you can get bunga pads which I guess help?

bigbillystyle
Nov 11, 2003

Stenhouse? Nah. It's Ricky Roundhouse now.

Epitope posted:

Why don't people wear mouth guards? I mean i get that a half shield gives you a dramatic performance increase, but do you gain anything by not protecting your teeth at all?

My guess would be comfort. Just like some people find it more comfortable to wear a shield or nothing at all on their helmet over a cage. I've worn a cage since I was 5 so I don't find a problem with it at all. I never understood the guys who turned 18 and immediately took their cages off. Hey guess what, you aren't going pro and you'll probably need/want your teeth and eyes for whatever job you do get. But some guys just can't get their sick dangles to work while looking through bars. I would think the same could be said for mouth guards. Can't talk/breath well enough and its too distracting so they just ditch it. I never liked wearing one so I never really did. Only in youth hockey and high school when it was mandatory and I'd only put it in when a ref told me to.

Dangerllama posted:

Have you recently gotten new skates? Might take some getting used to. I've never had a problem with how I lace my skates but I recently (back in May) changed from Bauer to CCM skates and since making the switch I've had to start lacing up looser and looser to combat lace bite. Now, I take an old sock, foot sock not hockey sock, and fold it up and tuck it over the top of my foot as a little extra padding. This lets me tighten the skate laces to my liking without bothering my feet. Kind of annoying since I've never had this problem before but you gotta do what you gotta do.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

These are old skates. not really worried about preventing it in the future; I've picked up another bungapad. I also don't usually have a problem, I just exacerbated it after skating for three straight hours two weeks ago. More trying to figure out how to get this poo poo to go away. It's been two weeks and it's still tender in spots.

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -

EvilTwig posted:

Im using an old wood blade jammed into a pool noodle

Metal spatula welded on to the end of a stop sign post.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

Dangerllama posted:

These are old skates. not really worried about preventing it in the future; I've picked up another bungapad. I also don't usually have a problem, I just exacerbated it after skating for three straight hours two weeks ago. More trying to figure out how to get this poo poo to go away. It's been two weeks and it's still tender in spots.

I switched to doing an over then under pattern and haven't had any problems since. I use the last two, top two eyelets, as over as it gives me a better feel around my ankle.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

bigbillystyle posted:

Hey guess what, you aren't going pro and you'll probably need/want your teeth and eyes for whatever job you do get. But some guys just can't get their sick dangles to work while looking through bars. I would think the same could be said for mouth guards. Can't talk/breath well enough and its too distracting so they just ditch it. I never liked wearing one so I never really did. Only in youth hockey and high school when it was mandatory and I'd only put it in when a ref told me to.

Ya, this is what I'm talking about. One of the hot dogs talked about getting his teeth smashed, but he still looked at me like I was an uber goober when I suggested a mouth guard. Pros wear them though eh...

Duke Chin
Jan 11, 2002

Roger That:
MILK CRATES INBOUND

:siren::siren::siren::siren:
- FUCK THE HABS -
oh my god my puck handling is such hot garbaaaaaaaaaaaaaaage :byobear::byobear::byobear:

two weeks in a row of just low energy trash games for me.

Wooty
Dec 21, 2002
My 4v4 team won it's first game. Our ringer scored all 3 of our goals and I (me!) Stopped 3 out of 5 breakaways.

My best game since switching to goal.

Other team complained about our ringer. I am a goalie and don't worry about that too much but without him, we probably lose 10-0.

Even when he is not scoring, he dominates the game when he is on the ice.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

He shouldn't be on the team, and you are now "that team."

Ringers ruin the game for everyone.

Nitramster
Mar 10, 2006
THERE'S NO TIME!!!

Wooty posted:

My 4v4 team won it's first game. Our ringer scored all 3 of our goals and I (me!) Stopped 3 out of 5 breakaways.

My best game since switching to goal.

Other team complained about our ringer. I am a goalie and don't worry about that too much but without him, we probably lose 10-0.

Even when he is not scoring, he dominates the game when he is on the ice.

Where are you playing 4v4 at? El Segundo pond rink?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wooty
Dec 21, 2002

Nitramster posted:

Where are you playing 4v4 at? El Segundo pond rink?

Yes, my first attempt to get out of the aluminum level.