Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

Out of curiosity,. when exactly (that is, what point in the comic) did Homestuck become so popular?

Around the start of Act 5, though it had steadily ramped up from the beginning where it already had a decent following from Problem Sleuth.
Somewhere in the middle of Act 4 (about the time of the "end of year 1" flash) Hussie stopped taking commands from the audience, because there were so many covering every conceivable course of action that it wasn't actually any different from just writing them himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
Act Five Act One I'm pretty sure is when it blew up.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

Ytlaya posted:

Out of curiosity,. when exactly (that is, what point in the comic) did Homestuck become so popular?

Google Trends seems to indicate fairly steady growth through the years of 2010-2012, peaking in October of 2012. For point of reference, the trolls became prominent on June 12, 2010, and Act 6 began on November 11, 2011. Nothing seems to point to any real "explosion" of popularity, just steady growth from the beginning.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Ah, that makes sense. I was mostly curious because I have associated a lot of the fandom with people dressing up as the trolls, and the trolls have a pretty minor part at the point I'm currently at.

Another question - why is Rose's mom (and I guess John's dad also) able to defeat some giant monster? Is there a reason I should be aware of already, or will this be revealed later.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

They are strong.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Ytlaya posted:

beginning of hivebent was the refraction point

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Ah, that makes sense. I was mostly curious because I have associated a lot of the fandom with people dressing up as the trolls, and the trolls have a pretty minor part at the point I'm currently at.

Another question - why is Rose's mom (and I guess John's dad also) able to defeat some giant monster? Is there a reason I should be aware of already, or will this be revealed later.

Your parents always seem bigger and stronger than you. Is metaphor.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Moms are tough

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
My dad could beat up your giant ogres.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

This stuff with the trolls messaging the characters at different points in time is done really well, particularly the stuff with Karkat (the game hasn't given his name yet but I know who he is from the random parts I read before starting from the beginning). The part where Karkat mentions John telling him about humans hatching from eggs as pink larvae and then John using it to troll him the next time they speak was funny.

edit: hahaha wow, Colonol Sassacre adopted John's grandmother apparently

edit2: And John gave the rabbit to baby Rose I guess who then sewed it up and gave it to John as a present, that is neat

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jan 17, 2016

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
Man, this is almost making me like Homestuck again. :allears:

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

This stuff with the trolls messaging the characters at different points in time is done really well, particularly the stuff with Karkat (the game hasn't given his name yet but I know who he is from the random parts I read before starting from the beginning). The part where Karkat mentions John telling him about humans hatching from eggs as pink larvae and then John using it to troll him the next time they speak was funny.

edit: hahaha wow, Colonol Sassacre adopted John's grandmother apparently

edit2: And John gave the rabbit to baby Rose I guess who then sewed it up and gave it to John as a present, that is neat

You see now the first purpose of that intermission - to accustom you to Weird Time poo poo.

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
Man, I think I got in just before the Felt intermission. It was also a neat intro to the music since dark jazz is right up my alley.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Just to make sure I understand something, the Exile, Medicant, Police-Dude, and Queen all ended up in future Earth due to riding meteors that went through portals and ended up in the future?

edit: And they found all these facilities/devices because they were on the asteroids in the Veil, like the thing John used to create all the paradox clones?

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

Just to make sure I understand something, the Exile, Medicant, Police-Dude, and Queen all ended up in future Earth due to riding meteors that went through portals and ended up in the future?

edit: And they found all these facilities/devices because they were on the asteroids in the Veil, like the thing John used to create all the paradox clones?

You'll see their specific circumstances at the end of act 4, but that's the gist of it, yeah.

Spellman
May 31, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

People started freaking out when [Ṣ] Descend dropped (end of act 4), but the trolls made it go nuclear.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The Intermission kind of feels like a Jojo Stand Battle as seen through the interface of an old 90s adventure game and it's awesome.

(Seriously, the Felt would fit right in with ZA WARUDO and King Crimson)

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

MonsieurChoc posted:

Look, if you don't know the entire family tree of the Elven Kings in the Silmarillion by heart, you're not even trying.
I think Blind Guardian was as much a factor for me enjoying that book as Tolkien, just as the music has been an essential part of some folks enjoying Homestuck.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

MonsieurChoc posted:

The Intermission kind of feels like a Jojo Stand Battle as seen through the interface of an old 90s adventure game and it's awesome.

(Seriously, the Felt would fit right in with ZA WARUDO and King Crimson)

Hell, Die is basicaly Valentine/D4C.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
Eggs lives in a true man's world

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

Spellman posted:

People started freaking out when [Ṣ] Descend dropped (end of act 4), but the trolls made it go nuclear.

I could have sworn that during the shot of DD staring at the MEOW code, it briefly switched to GCAT letters in the background... did that happen in a different flash? :\

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah that happens earlier in Ascend.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Tavros is a good guy.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Ytlaya posted:

Tavros is a good guy.

Please tell us what you think of Vriska when you get to her :allears:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Ytlaya posted:

Tavros is a good guy.

Enjoy all of the Trolls they're all good people.

Insects.

Aliens.

Whatever.

Except for Eridan.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Burkion posted:

Enjoy all of the Trolls they're all good people.

Insects.

Aliens.

Whatever.

Except for Eridan.

No you see Eridan is just misunderstood, he's actually a pretty tr-vomits out vocal cords

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
how dare you impugn the honor of my husbando

Madtrixr
Nov 27, 2010

Tollymain posted:

how dare you impugn the honor of my husbando

I didn't know it was legal to marry a pile of Literal Garbage???

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

ThaumPenguin posted:

No you see Eridan is just misunderstood, he's actually a pretty tr-vomits out vocal cords

I don't hate Eridan, I pity him. And sometimes I wonder if Eridan is a shithead because everyone treated him like garbage or if everyone treats him like garbage because he was a shithead. A chicken-egg kinda thing.

But I know the true answer. We all do.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Who What Now posted:

I don't hate Eridan, I pity him. And sometimes I wonder if Eridan is a shithead because everyone treated him like garbage or if everyone treats him like garbage because he was a shithead. A chicken-egg kinda thing.

But I know the true answer. We all do.

It's definitely the latter. We see people trying to reach out to Eridan and he repulses them with his self-absorbed moping, then blames them for not indulging him every step of the way.

Aquarius is garbo all the way through.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Every pesterlog with him is gold, though.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Eridan is a lovely person, but he's an interesting character.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

paradoxGentleman posted:

Eridan is a lovely person, but he's an interesting character.
Exactly. He has moments, like his kindness to and concern for Karkat, that keep him from being I AM lovely ONE-D VILLAIN like Cronus. I want Cronus to DIAF; I want Eridan to grow the gently caress up and stop behaving like the universe ends at the tips of his fingers, something that, unless it happens in a dreambubble, he'll never do. also I like his fashion style.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Eridan can at least point to a bad environment.

(Although, that's not a get-out-of-jail-free card. Even if she's otherwise kind of a nothing as a character, Feferi does serve the purpose of being somebody who has every excuse to be just as bad as Vriska or worse, and isn't.)

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Exactly. He has moments, like his kindness to and concern for Karkat, that keep him from being I AM lovely ONE-D VILLAIN like Cronus. I want Cronus to DIAF; I want Eridan to grow the gently caress up and stop behaving like the universe ends at the tips of his fingers, something that, unless it happens in a dreambubble, he'll never do. also I like his fashion style.

In the flash where (Vriska) and Terezi reunite it seemed like Eradin was waking up to Sollux and Fefari and they looked like they were forgiving him for being a piece of poo poo. Maybe he was able to turn his life around. :unsmith:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Who What Now posted:

In the flash where (Vriska) and Terezi reunite it seemed like Eradin was waking up to Sollux and Fefari and they looked like they were forgiving him for being a piece of poo poo. Maybe he was able to turn his life around. :unsmith:

I loved all those moments of forgiveness so much. All of the instances of dead people forgiving the friends who had done them down in the original timeline: Fef and Sollux to Eridan, Dave to Jade, John to Jane. On the other hand, it was scary as gently caress to find out that people who'd died going god tier left ghosts, because that raises again the question of who owns the original consciousness when there are multiple copies. When you die to go God Tier, is that the same you who resurrects, or is it a brand-new person who has all your memories? Before those ghosts, I had assumed that the original consciousness transferred freely between dreamself and original body, and that going god tier just moved the consciousness on to the god-tier body. Now that I know there are ghosts left behind with the corpses, it's ucky.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

At this point the only one who's materially "the same person" for sure as the first one we met is Future Dave, currently a component of Davepetasprite.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
look the answer is clearly that when somebody goes god-tier a ghost-self and god-tier self are spawned in that moment with memories up to that point and the original simply ceases to exist :unsmigghh:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Dolash posted:

At this point the only one who's materially "the same person" for sure as the first one we met is Future Dave, currently a component of Davepetasprite.

Along the same lines, AR and Li'l Cal.

e:

Tollymain posted:

look the answer is clearly that when somebody goes god-tier a ghost-self and god-tier self are spawned in that moment with memories up to that point and the original simply ceases to exist :unsmigghh:

Or, in simpler words, "ucky".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The dude with a bunch of horse cocks in his room has some strange fetishes.

edit: I am here right now http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=004181