Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.

nm posted:

Passing a large column of bikes isn't hard as they are generally no more than a car length or two and moving 20-30 mph. Its like passing a tractor.
Passing a column riding one or two abreast on the right most side of the lane isn't a problem. Even if there's a couple dozen of them.

Passing 40-odd fuckers on an 80 zoned provincial road, while they ride 5 or more abreast and take up the entire lane, is impossible.
Generally 80kph roads here have restrictions on overtaking because it often isn't safe. Blind corners, polder blindness, relatively narrow lanes. Trees blocking line of sight at intersections and driveways.

There is a drat good reason why traffic that can't do at least 50kph is banned from those roads by law.

Go ride your bike on the special parallel lane for slow traffic, where there is a 30kph speed limit.

Every year Armstrong wannabes commit suicide by HGV this way. And the worst part is, the motorist is liable for the damages. Not the Lycra wrapped cunts who ride on roads they have no business being on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
55mph zone. Third car back in the left lane, truck in the right lane. Both lanes doing 45-50. Guy ahead of me is tailgating the guy ahead of him, I'm a good 3-4 car lengths back.

First car gets a wild idea and speeds up to the speed limit, tailgater climbs right up his rear end, when there's room for me to change lanes carefully and get away from this situation with the skinny pedal on the right, I put my signal on, change lanes, and begin to undertake (Not a thing I regularly do) and suddenly tailgater swings into the right lane, double flips me off, and stands on his brakes when I'm about a car length behind him and a lane over.

I don't know what the gently caress I did, I don't know what the gently caress crawled up his rear end, but he decided for the next several miles that I wasn't allowed to pass and matched the speed of the guy he had been tailgating (two lanes wide) until it widened to three and then took the two rightmost lanes zig-zagging over the dotted line so I couldn't safely pass.

Eventually we got to my exit, he took it, I took it much slower because nutbag, and he started driving like an adult all of a sudden and we went our separate ways once off the highway.

GSF-1943 was the plate, I think. Ohio. Toyota, dark blue, maybe a Camry. Wish I could vote people off this planet.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Angry drivers are the funniest until they kill someone.

Deedle posted:

Passing a column riding one or two abreast on the right most side of the lane isn't a problem. Even if there's a couple dozen of them.

Passing 40-odd fuckers on an 80 zoned provincial road, while they ride 5 or more abreast and take up the entire lane, is impossible.
Generally 80kph roads here have restrictions on overtaking because it often isn't safe. Blind corners, polder blindness, relatively narrow lanes. Trees blocking line of sight at intersections and driveways.

There is a drat good reason why traffic that can't do at least 50kph is banned from those roads by law.

Go ride your bike on the special parallel lane for slow traffic, where there is a 30kph speed limit.

Every year Armstrong wannabes commit suicide by HGV this way. And the worst part is, the motorist is liable for the damages. Not the Lycra wrapped cunts who ride on roads they have no business being on.
I'm specifically talking about roads (which are most roads not in cities in the US), where it is impossible to pass a bicycle safely without leaving the lane.
Also, you sound really angry. You probably don't want to drive angry.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I was coming down an on ramp to get on the highway. Because of all the cars on the highway, a ramp meter was running. The car a few cars in front of me stopped for the light. The truck behind them wasn't paying attention and almost rear ended them. They swerved at the last moment and came to a stop a couple of feet before taking out the light itself. At that point, they decided the best course of action was to just drive around the light in the grass, get back on the pavement on the other side, and continue like nothing happened.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

nm posted:

In CA, on a narrow road, the behavior would be legal, though th3y'd be legally required to turn out if 5 cars got stuck behind them.

hhahahhahahahahhahahahahahahahaha

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

atomicthumbs posted:

hhahahhahahahahhahahahahahahahaha

I've seen bicycle use them more than any vehcile but local semi trucks.

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.

nm posted:

I'm specifically talking about roads (which are most roads not in cities in the US), where it is impossible to pass a bicycle safely without leaving the lane.
Also, you sound really angry. You probably don't want to drive angry.
I'm a pretty cautious driver, though my girlfriend says I complain too much about other drivers.

My neighbourhood is along a major bicycle route which services the largest mall in the area and two high schools.
I have to deal with the idiocy of teenage bicyclists on a daily basis.

I used to be one of the teenage idiot bicyclists, riding with my walkman on, not turning on my lights because those old dynamos were a pain in the rear end. Not signaling turns, no over the shoulder checking, running red lights. You name a stupid thing teenagers on bicycles do, I probably did it. Right up to the point where I was lucky to get out of the way as my bike got ran over by a HGV trailer that cut way more to the inside of the corner than I expected. It was my fault, I shouldn't have passed the HGV on that side, the driver couldn't possibly have seen me.

Nearly being killed changed the way I deal with traffic. It also made me have very little tolerance for the stupidity of others in traffic.
I'll be the first to brake to avoid an accident, but I will also be the one swearing at the person I had to brake for.

On the motorway, unless I left too late, I am generally the person in the slow lane cruising 50m behind an HGV. Bitching about those maniacs in the fast lane and how some guy overtaking me is a moron for not matching speed with traffic before changing lanes.

I do have very little tolerance for adults who pretend their inconvenience in dealing with traffic that is within 15kph of their own speed is a valid reason to make others have to deal with 50+kph speed differences on roads not designed to cope with that.

I understand that the situation in the US is different and that bicycle infrastructure in rural areas doesn't exist. However the quality of bicycle infrastructure doesn't seem to matter. Bicycle infrastructure here is excellent. There are clearly marked lanes and paths nation wide. The TdF fetishists just want to create a dangerous situation on purpose and they will always find an excuse for it.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
groups of bicyclists are possibly the only excuse i've encountered for ranch hand bumpers

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
In boston for the week, again. Boston drivers are funny as hell.

Talking a walk down Brighton Avenue after parking and a bunch of people are double parked with their hazards on. One Douchenozzle that's been double parked for about fifteen minutes pulls out, and then gets behind another shitbag thats double parked, and has the audacity to start honking.

Yesterday, I saw a cyclist run a red light and T-bone another cyclist.

I seriously need to bring my dashcam out of my car at home and hook it up to my rental car, I'd have enough footage for a youtube channel just for my week here.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Snow storm in West Michigan tonight, let the normal 15 minute commute that is now a 1 hour commute in the morning commence!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

ratbert90 posted:

Snow storm in West Michigan tonight, let the normal 15 minute commute that is now a 1 hour commute in the morning commence!

Tomorrow is a holiday though!

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

ratbert90 posted:

Here in Virginia we got just enough snow to cover cars, but not stick to anything else. Did anyone clean their windows? gently caress no. There were also 4 accidents on one 4 mile straightaway on the highway with no exits or sideroads.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

The Locator posted:

While this is true, I am not sure if I have a holiday or not tomorrow. I carpool with the wife, so worse case scenario is that I drop her off, drive 5 minutes to work, and if nobody is there, drive home.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

The Locator posted:

Only if you work for a bank or the federal government...

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Geoj posted:

I work for neither a bank, nor the federal government, and I have tomorrow as a holiday (of course we no longer get President's day, because the total number of holidays during the year remains 7).

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Geoj posted:

I think most big non-retail businesses have it off. There was a big thing when pricewaterhouse stopped observing it.

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

PCOS Bill posted:

55mph zone. Third car back in the left lane, truck in the right lane. Both lanes doing 45-50. Guy ahead of me is tailgating the guy ahead of him, I'm a good 3-4 car lengths back.

First car gets a wild idea and speeds up to the speed limit, tailgater climbs right up his rear end, when there's room for me to change lanes carefully and get away from this situation with the skinny pedal on the right, I put my signal on, change lanes, and begin to undertake (Not a thing I regularly do) and suddenly tailgater swings into the right lane, double flips me off, and stands on his brakes when I'm about a car length behind him and a lane over.

I don't know what the gently caress I did, I don't know what the gently caress crawled up his rear end, but he decided for the next several miles that I wasn't allowed to pass and matched the speed of the guy he had been tailgating (two lanes wide) until it widened to three and then took the two rightmost lanes zig-zagging over the dotted line so I couldn't safely pass.

Eventually we got to my exit, he took it, I took it much slower because nutbag, and he started driving like an adult all of a sudden and we went our separate ways once off the highway.

GSF-1943 was the plate, I think. Ohio. Toyota, dark blue, maybe a Camry. Wish I could vote people off this planet.

Sorry, that was not the plate. Publicdata.com shows no matching records for that plate in Ohio.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

nm posted:

I think most big non-retail businesses have it off. There was a big thing when pricewaterhouse stopped observing it.

It may be a good chunk but it's far from all. At least traffic will be light tomorrow.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

IOwnCalculus posted:

It may be a good chunk but it's far from all. At least traffic will be light tomorrow.

Arizona doesn't count. We may have to threaten to take another superbowl.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Daily reminder that if you're going to be walking down a road with no streetlights at 7PM at night, it's probably a good idea not be wearing all black.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

nitrogen posted:

One Douchenozzle that's been double parked for about fifteen minutes pulls out, and then gets behind another shitbag thats double parked, and has the audacity to start honking.

Wow, that's some impressive hypocrisy/self unawareness/FYGM behavior and pretty much makes me wish it was legal to curbstomp people like that.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
Had some moron old woman pull out into heavy traffic and just make her own lane by using a wide shoulder. She kept on going until she ran out of room and proceeded to attempt to merge into me, thankfully the guy to my left noticed this poo poo and made room for me to move over. She loving well knew I was there because she started entering my lane before she was even parallel and kept coming when I laid on the horn. The idiot was running out of space due to an upcoming bridge so she just made her own!

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

kastein posted:

Wow, that's some impressive hypocrisy/self unawareness/FYGM behavior and pretty much makes me wish it was legal to curbstomp people like that.

Pretty much bostondrivers.txt from what i see every time I'm down here.

Last time I was down here, I saw some genius pull this right in front of a cop. There's a traffic light at an area like this, with a diversion into a parking lot, and a road that comes right back out again. A cop was sitting there. Some genius decides to avoid the light by darting in and out of a parking lot, and the cop lit him up.

This wasn't the exact location, but it's similar enough to describe what happened a few months ago. (Because I don't remember exactly where I was when it happened)

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010
I am not a violent man, but parking like this on a full parking lot makes me want to merge my car with his in righteous release. He's taking up at least 3 spots and you can see how he just zombie drove up next to the car on the left and figured "this is the correct angle to park in :downs:"

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
No, I can't see. It's nothing but white poo poo.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

nitrogen posted:

Last time I was down here, I saw some genius pull this right in front of a cop. There's a traffic light at an area like this, with a diversion into a parking lot, and a road that comes right back out again. A cop was sitting there. Some genius decides to avoid the light by darting in and out of a parking lot, and the cop lit him up.

This wasn't the exact location, but it's similar enough to describe what happened a few months ago. (Because I don't remember exactly where I was when it happened)

Out of curiosity, what exactly do you charge someone like that with? Assuming as they drive through the parking lot they aren't crossing over painted lines or speeding, if there something about just obvious light evasion? I've certainly just missed lights that are so long I decided to turn right then make a legal u-turn to avoiding waiting, but I wonder if that qualifies.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

davebo posted:

Out of curiosity, what exactly do you charge someone like that with? Assuming as they drive through the parking lot they aren't crossing over painted lines or speeding, if there something about just obvious light evasion? I've certainly just missed lights that are so long I decided to turn right then make a legal u-turn to avoiding waiting, but I wonder if that qualifies.

I'm guessing trespassing since it involves private property.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

PenisMonkey posted:

No, I can't see. It's nothing but white poo poo.

It's not hard, if you get to a snow covered parking lot and see something parked there, slide in next to it with a 1-2 foot gap, just like you would if it was a gravel parking lot or any other flat piece of earth with no paint.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

davebo posted:

Most municipalities have local laws against "shortcutting", if there isn't a state law against it. Usually it carries the same penalty as running a red light or stop sign.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Geoj posted:

Most municipalities have local laws against "shortcutting", if there isn't a state law against it. Usually it carries the same penalty as running a red light or stop sign.

And most cops don't give a poo poo unless they have some other reason to pull you over so it will never get punished.

Assuming there's even a cop within 10 miles when someone cuts through a parking lot.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
That's generally known as evading a light.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Dunno what it is out here in Boston, but the releavant Texas law would be:

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/docs/TN/htm/TN.545.htm

quote:

Sec. 545.423. CROSSING PROPERTY. (a) An operator may not cross a sidewalk or drive through a driveway, parking lot, or business or residential entrance without stopping the vehicle.

(b) An operator may not cross or drive in or on a sidewalk, driveway, parking lot, or business or residential entrance at an intersection to turn right or left from one highway to another highway.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
poo poo I see people try that all the time with highway traffic. Get off, but go straight at the light back onto the onramp.

Except oh yeah there's a light controlling that all and instead of sitting in traffic now you're sitting at a light. So it never really works.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
i pretty much do that poo poo every day along with everyone else because this city never thought theyd need dedicated right turn lanes for people coming off the loops

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Protocol7 posted:

poo poo I see people try that all the time with highway traffic. Get off, but go straight at the light back onto the onramp.

Except oh yeah there's a light controlling that all and instead of sitting in traffic now you're sitting at a light. So it never really works.

There's a stretch on i35 where you can do this 5 exits in a row where the access road gets back on before a light. Saved me about 15 minutes on that commute.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Bovril Delight posted:

There's a stretch on i35 where you can do this 5 exits in a row where the access road gets back on before a light. Saved me about 15 minutes on that commute.

No lights though. I mean I know it can pay off sometimes, regions are different, I just know it really doesn't around where I live.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Geoj posted:

When I lived in Oregon the law was against "using private property for public access" which at least one guy I knew in college got a ticket for. Traffic stopped at a red, he turned in to the gas station and immediately exited on the cross street, cop lit him up.

Of course he was driving a slammed hot pink mini truck, he drew that attention everywhere he went.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Protocol7 posted:

I have seen it work for people. It really depends on how congested the intersection and ramps are and what point in the light cycle you get.

Not something I'd try unless I really knew the area.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
I'm okay with the professional full gear bicyclists who stick to the road when they do it responsibly and follow laws, logic, common sense and traffic lights but the roads here are ancient and tight, there's no way for a compact car to pass other than pushing them to the curb, they just continue pissing in their spats and riding along helmet down dreaming of the day old people get to see them on Eurosport. Binge on London two-wheeler dashcams if you want to see the most suicidal law-breaking dipshit dimwits of bicyclists.

Killstick posted:

I am not a violent man, but parking like this on a full parking lot makes me want to merge my car with his in righteous release. He's taking up at least 3 spots and you can see how he just zombie drove up next to the car on the left and figured "this is the correct angle to park in :downs:"

If it wasn't for the blue bus I'd wonder which part of my town of Västerås that was taken in, that's uncanny :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

xzzy posted:

It's not hard, if you get to a snow covered parking lot and see something parked there, slide in next to it with a 1-2 foot gap, just like you would if it was a gravel parking lot or any other flat piece of earth with no paint.

When I commuted to college it had snowed one morning and the parking lots had not been plowed, so people did what you described, parked next to each other in an orderly way, then went to class. It was a light snow though, and a few hours later it had melted, revealing that people were parked orderly, but of course all on top of the lines in the lot.

The campus cops were going from one car to another, writing tickets. They didn't make many friends that day and the administration ended up getting involved and cancelling them. I can almost understand if someone just parked without caring, but people had actually parked orderly, just outside of the lines because THE drat LOT WASN'T CLEARED AND THE LINES WEREN'T VISIBLE.