Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

a kitten posted:

Oh that's right, maybe I should try to find the director's cut episodes since I've never seen them.

Woah, yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Zas posted:

the shinji screams are one of my favorite things about the show, as hosed up as that sounds - absolutely uncompromising, painful and expressive, like the show as a whole

I agree, good job uh *looks it up* megumi ogata. oh she's sailor uranus

from the death and rebirth theatrical program http://www.evaotaku.com/html/dr1-seiyuu.html :

quote:

Every time a new script arrived... every time I turned a new page... I was torn apart by a new pain. Even though they were fresh wounds, with fresh blood spilling out, it felt like I was peeling off old scabs which remained on my skin. Sometimes slowly, sometimes with a quick jerk, the claws of a merciless 'Creator' peeled away the layers of my heart... I would be happy if I were able to touch the "Shinji" inside everyone. The "Shinji" inside me is waiting for the time of complementation.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I've seen Death, which i thought is where all the new stuff came from. In any case, i'm gonna watch the DC for them this time around.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
So episodes 21 to 24 have director's cuts, but 25 and 26 are the same?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

a kitten posted:

I've seen Death, which i thought is where all the new stuff came from. In any case, i'm gonna watch the DC for them this time around.

Some bits are in Death but not all of them iirc

Equeen posted:

So episodes 21 to 24 have director's cuts, but 25 and 26 are the same?

Yup

Episodes 25&26 are exactly how they were supposed to be, contrary to what some might tell you.

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~

Sakurazuka posted:

Some bits are in Death but not all of them iirc

Yup

Episodes 25&26 are exactly how they were supposed to be, contrary to what some might tell you.

Ok, just wanted to make sure :)

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Radio Spiricom posted:

it might also help to know that evangelion was created in part because a woman rejected anno (because she thought anime directors weren't poo poo) and he set out to prove her wrong

I've heard something like this story before and always wanted to read about it, you got a source for this one?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
ok I'm going to do this. I'm only on ep 7 but gently caress it. where doing it man, where MAKING THIS HAPPEN
And my source is dubbed. I have been spoiled by the animation I watch. The voice acting is loving horrrrrrrrible. It's no wonder people weren't sympathetic to Shinji, everytime he talks you'd expect that sad trumpet to play.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
the english voice acting is actually rly good and japanese shinji sounds like a literal child instead of a sheltered dude just entering puberty

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

I believe in you, forum poster Acne Rain! Embrace the universe like a blazing star! :unsmith:
And yeah, the dub cast needs some time to grow into their roles. Although Spencer is never really able to hit the high notes of the Shinji scream, he does regular ol' confused surly teenaged weirdo Shinji just fine.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

I'm showing my husband this show for the first time. He likes it a lot (well, everything but Shinji), and actually digs the slower moments. He's also crushing on Gendo, which...huh. Gotta work my fingertent game up.

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

haven't really watched the english dub more than a few episodes, it felt bad. and I really like the japanese cast. like for instance I think it's easy to overlook how good Rei (Megumi Hayashibara)'s performance is. it's so often imitated and so easy to dismiss as 'monotone,' but there's an intensity to it that still seems unique to me.

she does a similar but less intense voice in anno's 2nd live action movie 'ritual' (shiki jitsu) aka the one adapted from a novel written by steven seagal's daughter, who also stars. I'm watching it now, seems french, has some great compositions

Mia Wasikowska fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Jan 17, 2016

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Radio Spiricom posted:

from the death and rebirth theatrical program http://www.evaotaku.com/html/dr1-seiyuu.html :

thanks, and this is a cool site and I once again stumbled across that anno-proving-himself-to-a-woman narrative in one of the translations of an early gossip piece posted on the internet in 97 in between the show and EoE

http://www.evaotaku.com/html/kaibunsho-main.html

is that the original source?

cause whoever wrote this really sucks lol

quote:

According to interviews he said something to the effect that he “became interested in various psychological aspects and inner worlds,” and it is probably because he became a director this time that those bad and dangerous areas of his came gushing out all at once. (laugh)

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

this is the goofiest thing and I watched all of it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgY7wdR66k0
apparently written by anno, released in late 96 between the show and movies, spoilers

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

Pootybutt posted:

I'm showing my husband this show for the first time. He likes it a lot (well, everything but Shinji), and actually digs the slower moments. He's also crushing on Gendo, which...huh. Gotta work my fingertent game up.

That's the thing about this show. In many ways, it's like a symphony in that its soul is found, to large degree, in the rests.

Since it's come up a few times recently, what is it that your husband finds objectionable about Shinji? I hated him when I first watched the show, too, but looking at it now, we've got a kid who's attending a school where everyone else either pilots an Eva or wants to. All he knows is that the process of piloting the thing causes him, personally, a great deal of physical and emotional pain (Since neither Asuka nor Rei seems to have the same problem), and who has received absolutely no explanation about why it has to be him rather than, for example, Aida to hop in the pilot tube and be the hero.

And yet, he continues to seek his absentee father's validation, even while his father's foremost priority seems to be the crushing of Shinji's illusions that they might, one day, manage to become a functional family.

It's a pretty hosed up thing to do to a kid, and a certain amount of self-pity is only to be expected.

I did watch the show once, but more than a decade ago and I don't really remember much by way of details, so maybe I'm still viewing it from a different perspective than a first time viewer, but I've found myself far more sympathetic to Shinji than I would have expected (up to this last episode, when my sympathy threshold was exceeded and I actively started laughing at Shinji's pain).

.jpg
Jan 18, 2011

Pootybutt posted:

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Zas posted:

thanks, and this is a cool site and I once again stumbled across that anno-proving-himself-to-a-woman narrative in one of the translations of an early gossip piece posted on the internet in 97 in between the show and EoE

http://www.evaotaku.com/html/kaibunsho-main.html

is that the original source?

cause whoever wrote this really sucks lol

thanks, i knew it was on that site somewhere but i didn't know where. it's a gossip document written by an anonymous industry insider that circulated on the internet after the tv series and before the theatrical releases. the introduction the translator provides on that site clears its status up a bit, i.e. that some of the rumors in there are corroborated, but that it's largely the rantings of a burned person. there's an interview on gwen's site with gainax's official translator michael house, who when asked about anno's relationships says basically "that's what i've heard."

perhaps worth noting that in addition to playing jean in nadia, noriko hidaka plays noriko in gunbuster.

there are also rumors that anno was romantically linked to yuko miyamura (asuka's va) and to ayako fujitani (who is steven seagal's daughter, and who wrote the novel he adapted for shiki-jitsu)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I'm glad I live in a world where Hideaki Anno directed a film based on a book by Steven Segal's daughter.

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

a kitten posted:

Yeah, that is cool. I think maybe Eureka 7 did that too? My memory might just be making stuff up though.

Don't remember whether that's the case, but I do remember that the structure of the first two eps is p. much the same, complete with an Unfamiliar Ceiling opening for episode two. :3:

Davincie posted:

because he loves yamato so much he storyboarded/designed the OP for the excellent remake
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51PjegTadWU

his love for yamato can also be seen in shirobako, with the giant (sort of) replica behind him when he's in his office

It's been a few months since I last watched Official ADTRW Anime Of The Year 2015 Shirobako, but wasn't that the Surcouf?

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

idk

anyway dubs are trash for trash

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Because I obviously haven't been puking enough images all over this thread yet I went to have a quick look for confirmation. Ended up watching 5 episodes. :shepicide:

Forgot about those chairs lol

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I wanna believe that Anno actually has a room like that.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I want to believe the whole of Blue Blazes was real.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Kytrarewn posted:

That's the thing about this show. In many ways, it's like a symphony in that its soul is found, to large degree, in the rests.

Since it's come up a few times recently, what is it that your husband finds objectionable about Shinji? I hated him when I first watched the show, too, but looking at it now, we've got a kid who's attending a school where everyone else either pilots an Eva or wants to. All he knows is that the process of piloting the thing causes him, personally, a great deal of physical and emotional pain (Since neither Asuka nor Rei seems to have the same problem), and who has received absolutely no explanation about why it has to be him rather than, for example, Aida to hop in the pilot tube and be

I asked him, and they're mainly the usual complaints: boring and unlikeable. He doesn't have a lot of patience for angsty teen characters, either. He acknowledges there's evidently a lot more going on under the surface the show will probably go into, though, and we're only five eps in. Really looking forward to how he reacts to Asuka.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Pootybutt posted:

I asked him, and they're mainly the usual complaints: boring and unlikeable.
If Shinji were actually unlikeable, rather than simply shining a light on a part of us no one likes to admit exists, the entire point of the show would be void.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

I want to believe the whole of Blue Blazes was real.

its 100% real except for the girls

sadly, there were no girls in the authors college life

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Ugh I went ahead to the end of the normal series and I look forward to reading what everyone has to say about the end of 26. I can see what they were going for but it just comes out as being hilarious

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Agronox posted:

Ugh I went ahead to the end of the normal series and I look forward to reading what everyone has to say about the end of 26. I can see what they were going for but it just comes out as being hilarious

Congratulations, you can now read all the black bars in da thread, except all the EoE ones! :v:
I hope you stick around because I really enjoyed reading what your avatar had to say about evangelion.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Agronox posted:

I would've thought that scene is the one thing everyone knows about the series, with how often it gets tossed around online.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The end of episode 19 is one of my favourite parts of the series. Yeah, I know I say that a lot.

I never quite get the stuff with the S2 engine though, Unit 01 already had one right? That's the red core thing and the reason it could reactivate without power? So when it eats the Angel its actually taking a second one into it?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

The end of episode 19 is one of my favourite parts of the series. Yeah, I know I say that a lot.

I never quite get the stuff with the S2 engine though, Unit 01 already had one right? That's the red core thing and the reason it could reactivate without power? So when it eats the Angel its actually taking a second one into it?

No, the S2 Engine is something different and theoretically allows the Eva unlimited operating power outside of Beast mode.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Jostiband posted:

I hope you stick around because I really enjoyed reading what your avatar had to say about evangelion.

Thanks, I will. The simulwatches are fun... just a shame I couldn't keep up with the proper schedule this time. I would've liked to :justpost: more.

Strange Quark posted:

I would've thought that scene is the one thing everyone knows about the series, with how often it gets tossed around online.

I guess the spoilers I know are from EoE. Have you seen any good parodies of it?

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Agronox posted:

I guess the spoilers I know are from EoE. Have you seen any good parodies of it?

Hahaha, you're asking me?

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Nice! I was even going to write above "I've seen 120 episodes of Gintama and I'm surprised they didn't do anything with it" but I suppose it comes later...

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I missed last Friday, so now for four episodes in a row! We're firmly into I-don't-remember-poo poo territory now, so it should be good.

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

Almost time! Im so pumped for robots!

Equeen
Oct 29, 2011

Pole dance~
This coming weekend is going to be an emotional roller-coaster, isn't it?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Agronox posted:

Nice! I was even going to write above "I've seen 120 episodes of Gintama and I'm surprised they didn't do anything with it" but I suppose it comes later...

Once you realize Gendo is a Madao, you'll never look at him quite the same way again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

now this is parenting

• Locked thread