Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

JcDent posted:

Like Hungarians, the Finns come from Finno-Ugric stock, which is why their languages are gibberish. I assume the F-Us came from rhe general direction of Asia.
General direction, specifically somewhere in Northern Central Russia, vaguely around the Urals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

Nenonen posted:

You shouldn't think for a second that any agreement between Stalin and Roosevelt was going to stop Stalin from turning Finland into a Soviet outpost if it suited their needs. Neither should you think that Finland wasn't at Soviet Union's mercy after the armistice. But I think I'd rather have Russians in Porkkala than in Santahamina...

At any rate, Finnish army was in a far better shape in August 1944 than it was in March 1940. Finland survived Winter War by divine intervention cut short because Stalin wasn't interested enough to risk that intervention (even if it was going to go bollocks) while Finnish resistance was already collapsing, whereas Finland survived Continuation War because Stalin wasn't interested enough to continue hunting swamp mongols for another year. It's telling that the last major battle in 1944 resulted in the encirclement of two Soviet divisions.

At the time, Stalin was quite happy with giving in to FDR's vision. Stalin as an actor in the whole Finnish drama tends to be rather misrepresented as a bloodthirsty conquering warlord hellbent on capturing plucky lil' Finland, when there's a whole lot of information on the subject: Stalin later regretted scuppering plans on Swedish-Finnish military cooperation (Swedes pulled out because of Stalin protesting) and post-war, he was entirely against Finnish Communist Party plans on revolution, since a stable bourgeoise Finland was far preferable to having to spend Soviet resources on pacifying a hellscape of swamp mongols fighting a civil war. Nevermind that pre-WW2, Soviet diplomacy was very much in favor of keeping border states neutral and only after this effort failed, the hardliners like Molotov took over Soviet diplomacy.

Knocking Finland out of the war and shortening the front by a long stretch was good enough for Stalin.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Kemper Boyd posted:

Knocking Finland out of the war and shortening the front by a long stretch was good enough for Stalin.

Sure. But you originally suggested that Finland being occupied by Soviets in 1944 would not have had consequences to Finnish sovereignty and that Stalin was anyway going to let Mannerheim et al stay in power which sounds dubious to me.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
It's not like the Soviets kept every bit of territory they ended up occupying (Manchuria comes to mind), and it's not impossible at all that Stalin might see upholding an agreement with the US to be more important than holding on to Finland in terms of their national interest.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
He got more than enough for his investment come Yalta and Tehran...

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

JcDent posted:

Like Hungarians, the Finns come from Finno-Ugric stock, which is why their languages are gibberish. I assume the F-Us came from rhe general direction of Asia.

Under US law, they're white. There was a lawsuit about it in 1908, as people were trying to keep the filthy Finns out but the only immigration laws on the books were the ones banning Asians.

http://www.historymuseumeot.com/mfahs/htm/part8_0026.htm

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Legally white, eh?

So the Germans had a parasite radar that exploited Chain Home to track Brits? Probably didn't help much.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
Are there cold war versions of wehrabingo for all the "The tank needed an autoloader because soviet crews were too stupid to load shells the right way" type stuff?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

OK, thread, I've started reading two history books. The first is "Voltaire's Bastards" by John Ralston Saul. It is from the early 1990s, and concerns the 'dictatorship of reason in the west.' I'm not sure if anyone here has real strong opinions on it. I'm liking it, and Saul's already laid out some stuff I may have to articulate here/the cold war thread. (I know the cold war thread will dig Saul's ripping on Robert MacNamera, at any rate.) The second I've just started is "Seven Pillars of Wisdom" by TE Lawrence. I've always wanted to read this book, and just thought I'd mention it here in case it turns out to be a Boy's own adventure of the Arab Revolt.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
that book is extremely gay

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

It's the gayest book and also the most wonderful. I don't think it's very boys own, as I read a fuckton of boys own style travel writing from 1850-1920. Lawrence had a romanticised but also really cynical way of looking at his situation - romanticised towards the Arabs and cynical towards the British. It's pretty delightful to read, but also romantic, depressed and sadomasochistic. It's very much in the tradition of British imperialist adventures - a romantic and ever-so-slightly failed poet encounters the other and falls in love with it, seeing "home" as a decadent society fallen from the "pure grace" of the foreign.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
the brits probably wrote like that then because literally any other society on earth would be more fun to live in than late 19th century england and they were all desperate to escape

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

HEY GAL posted:

the brits probably wrote like that then because literally any other society on earth would be more fun to live in than late 19th century england and they were all desperate to escape

Pretty much yeah. It loving sucked unless you were rich.

Still kind of does now, but we got central heating and there is slightly less racism.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

100 Years Ago

Since it worked so well so recently, the Germans are going to send out another blockade runner. This one's going to recapture the success of Kronborg and try to send more badly-needed supplies to Colonel von Lettow-Vorbeck in Africa. The Ottoman Third Army begins retreating from Koprukoy just in time; General Nixon leaves Mesopotamia (and our story) with some extremely impotent fulminating; Louis Barthas inevitably finds something to complain about while at home on leave; Bernard Adams gets his own leave chit; and Robert Palmer watches the Engineers failing to build a bridge over the Tigris, with some excellent dry sarcasm even in the middle of an all-day rainstorm.

quote:

Dug a bridge-head perimeter. We are waiting for the bridge.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

SeanBeansShako posted:

Pretty much yeah. It loving sucked unless you were rich.

Still kind of does now, but we got central heating and there is slightly less racism.

I don't know, austerity in the GB came up in the cold war thread recently, and there were some interesting :stare: posts:

Forums Terrorist posted:

I don't think people itt realize just how badly austerity has mauled large parts of Britain.

Godholio posted:

This is definitely the case.

gfanikf posted:

Like actually bad...or just equivalent to living in America?

Forums Terrorist posted:

As in "significant parts of the poor are suffering from diseases normally only found in starving Africans". Or how the latest changes to how housing benefits works means half the population can't afford to live in most of Britain.

Nebakenezzer posted:

e: ^^^ Jesus Christ :negative: OK, that is worse than I thought

Sadly, I do. If you compare the great depression vs. the great recession, Britain was actually doing better 8 years into the great depression compared to now.

At least you guys are not on the euro

mlmp08 posted:

Austerity.

inkjet_lakes posted:

Phone posting so I can't go full retard on austerity (my wife is disabled so believe me I want to), anyway exhibit two:
http://www.thedrinksbusiness.com/2014/12/uk-lords-reject-champagne-budget-cut/

What has changed?

Well...

poisonpill posted:

Cameron is being rather pig-headed about this entire situation.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
It's pretty lovely like, two people in a family can hold down 9-5 jobs and still have to use the foodbank levels of lovely.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
Not everyone is born with the dick up in the pig's head.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

It's pretty lovely like, two people in a family can hold down 9-5 jobs and still have to use the foodbank levels of lovely.

I.e. basically America!

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

HEY GAL posted:

No? I mean it sucked but 19th century Russia or America wasnt really better if you were poor.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

The new thirty years war will be wandering gangs of starvation wage people fighting with other gangs of starvation wage people over if the minimum wage can be indexed to inflation and raised or not

JcDent
May 13, 2013

feedmegin posted:

No? I mean it sucked but 19th century Russia or America wasnt really better if you were poor.

Let me remind you that living in Russian Empire meant that you were still a medieval peasant, corvee labor and all that.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
but you did not have to be english

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Certain parts of the middle class in Britain in the late 19th and early 20th century were essentially born into a comfortable servitude as part of the empire's civil service, which is an interesting topic I can go on about at length, but yes: our current government is desperately trying to drive us back to the golden age of 1913 at all costs.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

lenoon posted:

Certain parts of the middle class in Britain in the late 19th and early 20th century were essentially born into a comfortable servitude as part of the empire's civil service, which is an interesting topic I can go on about at length, but yes: our current government is desperately trying to drive us back to the golden age of 1913 at all costs.

Please, by all means do go on.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

lenoon posted:

Weird.* The some of the elite in North America similarly see the turn of the last century as the ideal time (IE when they had the most power)

*it is not weird at all

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum

spectralent posted:

Are there cold war versions of wehrabingo for all the "The tank needed an autoloader because soviet crews were too stupid to load shells the right way" type stuff?

Of course! Just look for any instances of "Autoloader that eats conscript arms" and you've found one.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

lenoon posted:

I object to the idea that Cameron and Co. want to go back to 1913. They aren't funding the Royal Navy nearly well enough.

Besides, the government of that day were actually trying to increase social spending.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

They aren't funding the Royal Navy nearly well enough.
the things we study are not coming back, not ever, move past and heal

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

HEY GAL posted:

This is a good thing, especially for your area

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

HEY GAL posted:

Pity. The British could use a Campbell-Bannerman these days.

And I'd love to see what Lloyd George would do to Nick Clegg.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Splode posted:

This is a good thing, especially for your area
on the bright side, the people who weren't starving to death or catching diseases at the time would dress more flamboyantly

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

HEY GAL posted:

on the bright side, the people who weren't starving to death or catching diseases at the time would dress more flamboyantly
Not really "more" so much as just "different". I'm sure even the mundane fashions of the current era would be regarded as slightly excessive in terms of pictures and writing on one's chest etc. Not to mention the more dramatic styles that exist...

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.
I thought this might be appreciated here. An interview with the "Dragonman" of Colorado Springs. It started out as an interview about gun control, and ended up being a tour of his amazing, one-of-a-kind WW2, US Military, and 50s hot rod museum. Click the link for some awesome pictures of his compound and museum.

http://krcc.org/post/wish-we-were-here-episode-11-dragonman-behind-guns

Seriously, if you find yourself in Colorado Springs visit this museum, it is hands-down the best military museum I've ever been to and I've been to a lot.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Nine of Eight posted:

Of course! Just look for any instances of "Autoloader that eats conscript arms" and you've found one.

I meant specifically a bingo sheet for it :v:

Maybe I should make one.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

HEY GAL posted:

Some people have started arguing the 30-Years-War has come back, this time for Islam and this time somewhat farther to the East and South of Germany.

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Libluini posted:

Some people have started arguing the 30-Years-War has come back, this time for Islam and this time somewhat farther to the East and South of Germany.

But the ISIS goons don't look nearly as fancy as Landsknechts

This reboot sucks

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Libluini posted:

And these people should be derided as eurocentric idiots.

e: I considered Saddam as the new Napoleon, as Middle East history itself suffers of a distinct lack of warring dictators to compare with.

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 12:30 on Jan 17, 2016

Hazzard
Mar 16, 2013

Nenonen posted:

The BBC is doing it as well, I feel ashamed.

Nenonen posted:

e: I considered Saddam as the new Napoleon, as Middle East history itself suffers of a distinct lack of warring dictators to compare with.

Was Saddam especially brilliant as a strategist? I thought he was much better as a politician.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Nenonen posted:

What did you expect from goons who post in D&D? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Libluini posted:

Could have sworn I read a thing comparing the 30YW to the Congolese wars and the way they kept drawing in neighboring nations.

Like I said before, if I was a total shithead I'd be writing an article about how we need a new Ever Victorious Army to put ISIS in their place.

• Locked thread