Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Get Vince Gilligan on the phone.

Edit: Beaten.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
hopefully he loses an eye at some point and we get Rucka Big Boss Punisher

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

gfanikf posted:

But does he have to be for his own show? Can't he be enjoyed just apologetically? Hasn't anyone ever written The Punisher that way?

You're confused my child, the Punisher first appeared in ASM #129 in 1974 and then was never seen again until 2004, when the prophet Ennis began inscribing his holy characterization in the Book of MAX.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

General Bort posted:

It's possible to make good television with a terrible protagonist. See Breaking Bad and Sopranos.

Also it's entertainment, it doesn't have to line up with how someone would view the real world anyway. Do I want a Punisher running around in real life? No or course not, that would be horrifying. Do I want one running around in the Marvel Universe? Yes, because it's entertaining and not real. Just like I don't watch a Friday the 13th movie because I agree with Jason that all these misbehaving teens need to die immediately for their sins.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I guess I'll always be forgiving of the Punisher. It was the first comic I'd ever read, Punisher War Journal 34. Stuck up north miserable in our cabin we went to the local grocery store and my mom told me to buy a few comics. Young hipster me didn't want to read Batman or X-Men like all my friends were into - nope, I was interested in murder and death.

Of course that was about the same time that the first Punisher movie came out and I was super confused because I didn't realize Hollywood was allowed to alter source content... Ah to be ignorant again...

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

X-O posted:

Also it's entertainment, it doesn't have to line up with how someone would view the real world anyway. Do I want a Punisher running around in real life? No or course not, that would be horrifying. Do I want one running around in the Marvel Universe? Yes, because it's entertaining and not real. Just like I don't watch a Friday the 13th movie because I agree with Jason that all these misbehaving teens need to die immediately for their sins.

Yeah, but do you want him as the main character?

I think Punisher in Daredevil is great, because Daredevil loving hates Punisher and for a very good reason.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

McSpanky posted:

You're confused my child, the Punisher first appeared in ASM #129 in 1974 and then was never seen again until 2004, when the prophet Ennis began inscribing his holy characterization in the Book of MAX.

Avenging Angel version of Punisher coming to Netflix 2017!

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Aphrodite posted:

I think Punisher in Daredevil is great, because Daredevil loving hates Punisher and for a very good reason.

The Punisher is a very interesting character so yeah, him as a main character is cool.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

McSpanky posted:

I see the error of my ways. Definitely never had the Punisher hunt poachers trying to kill a dinosaur and having a Wolverine crossover.

X-O posted:

That is pretty much my line of thinking to a T, just far better written and expanded on.

Aphrodite posted:

Hmmm...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDIJXmpZrT0
hmmmm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMOAWliVH6o
yes yes I do. I mean it doesn't mean the character has to be uninteresting if you have good talent on the project. Also it doesn't have to schlock either (not that I didn't enjoy that either).

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jan 17, 2016

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Punisher is a fine character to base a Netflix style show on, but it really depends on the writers/directors/producers as to whether the show would be cool and fun, or kind of gross and creepy (bad creepy.)

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Aphrodite posted:

Sure, why not? As long as it's entertaining enough to watch. Again it's not real. I also wouldn't like Dr. Doom if he was a real armored European wizard tyrant. I don't have some hangup where enjoying forms of entertainment that I might disagree with morally in real life is a problem for me.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm watching Arrow at the moment - I'm about halfway through season two and I've been enjoying it a lot so far.

I have to wonder, though, is it going to end when they run out of flashbacks, i.e. after five seasons?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I'm watching Arrow at the moment - I'm about halfway through season two and I've been enjoying it a lot so far.

I have to wonder, though, is it going to end when they run out of flashbacks, i.e. after five seasons?

Nah, season six they'll reveal that he's been doing secret poo poo during the summer for the past 5 years.

Supernatural killed the devil at the end of season 5, they're on season 11. CW will air a show forever if teenagers - mid 20 year olds keep watching it.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

gfanikf posted:

I see the error of my ways. Definitely never had the Punisher hunt poachers trying to kill a dinosaur and having a Wolverine crossover.

Your go to memory being him being a co-star where he undoubtedly get second billing to Wolverine in his own book (because everybody did) doesn't exactly speak to his status as a gripping stand alone character.

Castle is a good contrast, a great devil on your hero's shoulder and a middling everything else.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Skwirl posted:

Nah, season six they'll reveal that he's been doing secret poo poo during the summer for the past 5 years.

Supernatural killed the devil at the end of season 5, they're on season 11. CW will air a show forever if teenagers - mid 20 year olds keep watching it.

I suppose even if Oliver's story ends after five seasons, maybe they could keep it going with somebody else taking over as Green Arrow. :shrug:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The new 24 series has apparently caused some delays with Fox doing the Hellfire series they announced, since it poached the executive producers.

The writers left too.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Punisher series has my full support, i'm all in.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I suppose even if Oliver's story ends after five seasons, maybe they could keep it going with somebody else taking over as Green Arrow. :shrug:

Actually, I bet you could get a poo poo ton of mileage out of Diggle flashbacks. Or make the main villain someone Speedy broke up with in high school and have flashbacks to that. Or ditch the flashback gimmick because it hasn't helped the show since the second season aside from providing an excuse for Constantine to show up.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Wheat Loaf posted:

"My name is Roy Harper. After 2 seasons years in character limbo, I have come home with only one goal: to save my city..."

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Skwirl posted:

Actually, I bet you could get a poo poo ton of mileage out of Diggle flashbacks. Or make the main villain someone Speedy broke up with in high school and have flashbacks to that. Or ditch the flashback gimmick because it hasn't helped the show since the second season aside from providing an excuse for Constantine to show up.

I think the flashbacks at this point are actually detrimental to the show. We don't need to see exactly how Ollie went from rich kid to bad rear end, we've got enough of an idea by now.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

I think the flashbacks at this point are actually detrimental to the show. We don't need to see exactly how Ollie went from rich kid to bad rear end, we've got enough of an idea by now.

It clearly lost all point once he got off the island while there were still two years left he was supposed to be on the island.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Skwirl posted:

It clearly lost all point once he got off the island while there were still two years left he was supposed to be on the island.

Did we really need a season long flashblack plot of the Hong Kong stuff? The fact the kid died was pretty obvious by the fact their kid was not around in the present.

Then this year its again pointless other than the thing with Constantine.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

X-O posted:

It's only a problem when a Punisher product starts directly screaming at you THIS IS COOL AND SHOULD BE REAL I AGREE WITH THIS 100% DON'T YOU non-stop like the last book

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

twistedmentat posted:

Did we really need a season long flashblack plot of the Hong Kong stuff? The fact the kid died was pretty obvious by the fact their kid was not around in the present.

Then this year its again pointless other than the thing with Constantine.

Exactly, the mandatory flashback B-plots wore out their welcome two seasons ago when they clearly ran out of preplanned material and started winging it.

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Jan 17, 2016

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Jessica Jones Season 2 greenlit

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

The Hong Kong stuff was the worst content the show has put out so far. At least this season's flashbacks, while pointless so far, are not as god awful.

Blockhouse posted:

It's only a problem when a Punisher product starts directly screaming at you THIS IS COOL AND SHOULD BE REAL I AGREE WITH THIS 100% DON'T YOU non-stop like the last book

Yeah that is what I meant by how it can either be good fun or kind of creepy and bad. There are a lot of people out there that kind of idolize Punisher or at least a certain interpretation of him, that should the people writing him agree, can turn him into a very uncomfortable character to enjoy.

I remember that "totally not Punisher" short film Laundry Day, or whatever, with Thomas Jane, making me cringe a bit because the optics were kind of bad and I seeing a bunch of certain types of people cheerleading it made it even worse.

jscolon2.0
Jul 9, 2001

With great payroll, comes great disappointment.

Aphrodite posted:

The new 24 series has apparently caused some delays with Fox doing the Hellfire series they announced, since it poached the executive producers.

The writers left too.

I guess a Jack Bauer-less 24 is good for something after all.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Skwirl posted:

Could probably get a bit of mileage out of Sara's adventures with the League. Though maybe that's what they do in season three. I guess she's headed off to Legends of Tomorrow anyway. :shrug:

Just Y/N: do they ever do anything to link the mirakuru drug to Miraclo or Hourman?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

No, that might have been the original idea as they announced they were working on an Hourman series but nothing ever came of it.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Probably a ways off if it's dependent on Defenders' timing, but nice.

No confirmation for the Punisher spinoff yet, apparently.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Barry Convex posted:

Probably a ways off if it's dependent on Defenders' timing, but nice.

No confirmation for the Punisher spinoff yet, apparently.

I don't think they expected the Netflix shows to be such huge hits. The original plan was to have a single season of each series and then the Defenders mini.

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

PEARL GROWLS "TAKE OFF THAT SHIRT, STEVEN." I COMPLY, REVEALING THE FULL LENGTH SHIRT TATTOO. PEARL RETREATS INTO HER GEM, DEFEATED.

I'm a big pansy who doesn't like calling numbers but the Marvel twitter just put this out there so someone else call it and tell me what's on the other end...

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

GLOSS posted:

I'm a big pansy who doesn't like calling numbers but the Marvel twitter just put this out there so someone else call it and tell me what's on the other end...

It is Jessica Jones' number and you can leave a message after the beep.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Rhyno posted:

I don't think they expected the Netflix shows to be such huge hits. The original plan was to have a single season of each series and then the Defenders mini.

Per Melissa Rosenberg, Defenders is contractually obligated to begin production by a certain date, so it's far from certain that we'll see any more S2s or S3s before then.

http://m.ign.com/articles/2016/01/17/marvels-jessica-jones-renewed-for-season-2-by-netflix

IGN posted:

I asked Netflix's CCO Ted Sarandos when we might see Jessica Jones and he says it will all depend on the scheduling of The Defenders, which itself is still to be determined. So whether we'll see the new Jessica season before or after The Defenders is still a question.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Mr Hootington posted:

It is Jessica Jones' number and you can leave a message after the beep.

"In the news today, Marvel in hot water after viral marketing campaign leads to woman's murder as she thought she was calling a private detective to help prove her husband was out to kill her"

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Part of me kinda just hopes Jessica Jones season 2 is just a procedural. Like maybe a very loose overarching plot, but other than that it's actually Jessica solving cases and poo poo.

They don't need a season 2 of Luke or Fist, as if they do Punisher, just have a seperate Punisher series, and then have the next Cage/Fist series be Heroes for Hire.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So, I've just finished the second season of Arrow, and I really enjoyed it a lot. However, just from the way it ends, I can definitely see the misgivings people were discussing earlier on about the flashbacks in season three. I think the flashback plot in season two concludes with Oliver more or less fully-formed as the Arrow. I'm not sure what else this whole Hong Kong thing is going to add to it. :shrug:

Still, we shall see. My only proper knowledge of season three comes from the Flash crossover episode with the Rainbow Raider.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jan 18, 2016

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Dexo posted:

Part of me kinda just hopes Jessica Jones season 2 is just a procedural. Like maybe a very loose overarching plot, but other than that it's actually Jessica solving cases and poo poo.

They don't need a season 2 of Luke or Fist, as if they do Punisher, just have a seperate Punisher series, and then have the next Cage/Fist series be Heroes for Hire.

Honestly, I would be ok with season 2 of JJ just being "Heroes for Hire Begins"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

So, I've just finished the second season of Arrow, and I really enjoyed it a lot. However, just from the way it ends, I can definitely see the misgivings people were discussing earlier on about the flashbacks in season three. I think the flashback plot in season two concludes with Oliver more or less fully-formed as the Arrow. I'm not sure what else this whole Hong Kong thing is going to add to it. :shrug:

Still, we shall see. My only proper knowledge of season three comes from the Flash crossover episode with the Rainbow Raider.

Season three has some great highs, but a lot of it is pretty loving dire. I'd recommend watching it at least until the mid season finally because that's the highest of the high (you'll probably know when you get there) feel free to drop it after that though, season four is amazing so far and they give enough exposition in dialogue to catch you up to everything that happened the last season if you want to give up on season three.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I also went and got myself the Dresden Files DVD because I enjoyed Paul Blackthorne a lot. I've read all the books in that series except the most recent one and know the show is pretty different, but I'm keen to see more of Blackthorne. :shobon: