Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I love my blackjacks so loving much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

Hey I started this up just a little bit ago and am loving it I just finished kitting out my third mech and am ready to start building towards a 4th. The thing is all of my mechs so far have been brawlers. I've played around with LRMs in trial mech and just don't enjoy playing with them. Does anyone have some build recommendations for medium/long or long range mechs with no LRMs?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Your way works too posted:

Hey I started this up just a little bit ago and am loving it I just finished kitting out my third mech and am ready to start building towards a 4th. The thing is all of my mechs so far have been brawlers. I've played around with LRMs in trial mech and just don't enjoy playing with them. Does anyone have some build recommendations for medium/long or long range mechs with no LRMs?

do you wanna do like lasers or gauss or shooty cannons

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

a light mech with a big as gently caress engine and one or more ERLLs is pretty OK as a peek and poke distance shooter. Bonus if it has ECM. There are a number of raven builds that are basically this. Just don't be an idiot and stay in one place to "snipe'

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Yeah for long-range direct fire, you got a few choices. Large lasers, large pulse lasers and maybe even ER Large Lasers are pretty popular, good weapons. You have to manage your heat and keep them on target while they BZZZZZT. They don't do a lot of damage up front in a flash like cannons or PPCs. There's an ECM Raven build with LLS for light mechs, and I use a 3LL Centurion, and there's also Thunderbolt (heavy) and Stalker (assault) builds on the OP that are big piles of large lasers and heat sinks for melting mad rear end.

AC/2s have a nice long range, but they are not great because they do so little damage that you basically have to stand up and dump dump dump for a long time, and they shoot farther than you need for most combat, so people prefer AC5s. There's a Jaegermech build on the OP that packs three Ultra AC5 and has nice high weapon mounts. It's not a cheap build but you can really gently caress people up with good shooting.

PPC and ER PCC are in a weird spot right now. They used to rule. They do have good range and respectable damage, but they cause a lot of heat and cycle really slow, so they are awkward to slam home with the same conviction as cannon rounds. Plus, they only sit well on a small selection of mechs (mostly heavy ones).

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

Pattonesque posted:

do you wanna do like lasers or gauss or shooty cannons

My brawlers have both lasers and shooty cannons. I don't really have a preference. I guess I would interested in something with a higher damage output per shot. Which I think would be a shootier cannony build? I'm not sure about that though which part of why I wanna ask for help.

EDIT:Kind of interested in peeking and poking it's kinda how I play my light brawler already but at that range I think I would like to give up some mobility for damage.

Sam Sanskrit fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jan 17, 2016

Tujague
May 8, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Here, I copied these from the front:

Gauss Jaegermech, huge range and damage per double-blap. Drawback: Gotta learn the weird way Gauss rifles work. No secondary guns to chase off lights.
http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=67&l=46f6265ac30c46e00d6bac1856ff1c753371e09a

UAC5 Jaegermech. Less range but spits 50 million shells in the blink of an eye. Couple of medium lasers for backup.
http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=65&l=dae7ba0a895c4a8789c6127024ce2c91ec147693

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

Tujague posted:

Here, I copied these from the front:

Gauss Jaegermech, huge range and damage per double-blap. Drawback: Gotta learn the weird way Gauss rifles work. No secondary guns to chase off lights.
http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=67&l=46f6265ac30c46e00d6bac1856ff1c753371e09a

UAC5 Jaegermech. Less range but spits 50 million shells in the blink of an eye. Couple of medium lasers for backup.
http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab#i=65&l=dae7ba0a895c4a8789c6127024ce2c91ec147693

These look great. They have the added bonus that they seems drastically different from anything I have yet built. Building a diverse stable has been one of my favorite parts of this game. It's probably time for me to figure out Gauss I think.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

These look great. They have the added bonus that they seems drastically different from anything I have yet built. Building a diverse stable has been one of my favorite parts of this game. It's probably time for me to figure out Gauss I think.

A comedy jaeger DD build that is still ridiculously fun is 2x LBX10 4 MG and 2ML. It's not strong until the end of the match, but it's basically heat neutral so you just survive for a few minutes then head towards an assault with all your buttons pushed down shouting METALSTORMMMM and watch them melt.

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

sebmojo posted:

A comedy jaeger DD build that is still ridiculously fun is 2x LBX10 4 MG and 2ML. It's not strong until the end of the match, but it's basically heat neutral so you just survive for a few minutes then head towards an assault with all your buttons pushed down shouting METALSTORMMMM and watch them melt.

Sold!

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

What engines are you guys running in the Oxide? I can only fit 4 tons of ammo with 4xSRM-4 and an XL295, and I run out nearly every match.

EDIT: Right now for a mere $10M (before upgrades), I can get two more Blackjacks AND 3 Spiders! Because what I totally need is more IS Lights and Mediums.

Devorum fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Jan 17, 2016

Supraluminal
Feb 17, 2012
Do mech bays ever go on sale, and if so how often? Mine are full up.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I don't think so. You can get a bunch by doing CW though.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Supraluminal posted:

Do mech bays ever go on sale, and if so how often? Mine are full up.

They were half off a couple of weeks ago. I'd say they go on sale 2-3 times a year, at most.

Pooncha posted:

With an XL295, 1 head armor and 3 armor in the arms lets you load another ton of missiles.

E: Like this.

I figured I'd have to shave armor off. I hate doing that with lights. Oh well...I'm tired of dying simply because I run dry, so if I've gotta do it...I've gotta do it.

Devorum fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jan 17, 2016

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable

Devorum posted:

What engines are you guys running in the Oxide? I can only fit 4 tons of ammo with 4xSRM-4 and an XL295, and I run out nearly every match.

With an XL295, 1 head armor and 3 armor in the arms lets you load another ton of missiles.

Pooncha fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jan 17, 2016

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
You're really counting on not getting hit, huh?

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
Any mech at 100% can chump a few kills if they hide the whole match. why not just build a mech that can contribute all the time by leaving lrms, lbxs, and mgs off your mechs

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

A.o.D. posted:

You're really counting on not getting hit, huh?

Jenners are more likely to lose anything else before the arms, so v:v:v

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.
What has changed since the OP was written and now is that SRMs were significantly buffed. If you enjoy brawling try something with SRMs, they are very good.

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

Willfrey posted:

Any mech at 100% can chump a few kills if they hide the whole match. why not just build a mech that can contribute all the time by leaving lrms, lbxs, and mgs off your mechs

Depends. Do you like winning or going blam blam blam.

Lotta people confuse fun builds with good builds. But hey, if you're playing this game and having lots of fun more power to you. not you personally, just anyone in general. Games are fun. Blam blam blam.

Blackdog420
Sep 10, 2009

born to roam

Pooncha posted:

For the love of god, put your armor back on your arms in your oxide please.

You literally triggered me and caused me to fall into an angry 'tism.

edit: Still spiraling out of control. Might need to lay down. May actually start watching train vids on youtube. Currently reading about sailboats on wikipedia.

Blackdog420 fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jan 17, 2016

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

I'm sorry. ;)

maybe
I also honestly saw that build in the wild (though with more arm armor and I don't know where the ammo was stashed). It was a funny game.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I just had a stroke. Thanks.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Urbanmech and pulse lasers has been a good time.

Ren and Stimpire
Oct 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

Pooncha posted:

I'm sorry. ;)

maybe
I also honestly saw that build in the wild (though with more arm armor and I don't know where the ammo was stashed). It was a funny game.

I just...

Sard
May 11, 2012

Certified Poster of Culture.

Devorum posted:

EDIT: Right now for a mere $10M (before upgrades), I can get two more Blackjacks AND 3 Spiders! Because what I totally need is more IS Lights and Mediums.

I used to run the XL 280, which I think is the most common layout and definitely the only one to use when you're still working towards the speed tweak upgrade. I recently switched to the XL 265 after mastering the chassis. With speed tweak, it's about as fast as the unupgraded XL 280, and the extra ton of ammo has gone a long way towards keeping me useful in the fight- when I don't run facefirst into two Daishi turrets, anyway.

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

Anyone have any ideas what to do with this event Cicada? Is there a fun layout for it or should I just sell it and take the free mechbay?

Sam Sanskrit fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jan 17, 2016

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

The builds I make usually try to minimize costs whenever possible (and made by a scrubby Tier 3), so keep that in mind before taking them for gospel.

I would echo Sard's suggestion that downgrading your engine to an XL280 might be the better bet if you prefer your arms padded, but XL engines are expensive, which was why I kept the 295 on there since you already had one to begin with. :)

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Blackdog420 posted:

For the love of god, put your armor back on your arms in your oxide please.

You literally triggered me and caused me to fall into an angry 'tism.

edit: Still spiraling out of control. Might need to lay down. May actually start watching train vids on youtube. Currently reading about sailboats on wikipedia.

Yo read about rotor ships and start spergin hard as gently caress that physics do that.

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos

Anyone have any ideas what to do with this event Cicada? Is there a fun layout for it or should I just sell it and take the free mechbay?

you can try dropping the engine to a 330 and keeping everything else as is, otherwise there isn't much else you can do with it

it's a pretty good mech if you play it to its strengths

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

teepo posted:

you can try dropping the engine to a 330 and keeping everything else as is, otherwise there isn't much else you can do with it

it's a pretty good mech if you play it to its strengths

I'll probably sell it then. I have to many mechs that already play in the medium laser field. I'll take it out a couple of time to make sure I don't like it more then my medium lasery Hunchback before I do anything hasty though.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

It's a variant you can't get without paying real money, so you should probably lean towards keeping it.

Sam Sanskrit
Mar 18, 2007

Anticheese posted:

It's a variant you can't get without paying real money, so you should probably lean towards keeping it.

Well it turns out it's super fun to drive so it gets to live.

Endbuster
Jan 7, 2013

There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

I'll probably sell it then. I have to many mechs that already play in the medium laser field. I'll take it out a couple of time to make sure I don't like it more then my medium lasery Hunchback before I do anything hasty though.

The mech is only worth 500k... but the engine, that could get you some cash if you need it for something else.

teepo
Oct 14, 2004

yospos
the xl340 is an incredibly useful engine

FARTSTAR
Jun 28, 2004
servers making GBS threads themselves tonight, apparently the most matches ever played in a day was yesterday

people must be really hungry for those colors

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

6 spl, i think with an XL 320 and loads of heatsinks. It's basically a chunkier Jenner.

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.
For gently caress sake do NOT zero out your cockpit armor, take it down to 8 or 10 maybe, I don't remember the specific numbers and if someone can correct me please do, but any lower and you can get straight up one-shotted if you are unlucky and happen to be on the receiving end of an air/artillery strike.

Also oh my god Quickdraws are in the same scaling pass as the Catapult and Nova? Yesssss.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

I'm a little sad that my hipster robots like the Blackjack and Quickdraw are so mainstream now. I wonder if they QKD will get to keep their quirks after getting shrunk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

novaSphere posted:

I'm a little sad that my hipster robots like the Blackjack and Quickdraw are so mainstream now. I wonder if they QKD will get to keep their quirks after getting shrunk.

The Blackjack is the loving Lemmy of mechs, It was always good and so was Hawkwind, you gently caress.

But yeah the QKD was good because of quirks and didn't scale in competition because of its awful model/scale/hitboxes. It will be interesting to see how that changes if it ends up only slightly larger than a Griffon or Wolverine (which is where it should be.).

• Locked thread