Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Turn A is great stuff. You'll dig it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The last ride of the Reinforce Jr is probably the best scene in all of Victory Gundam. It's also a complete reversal of the usual Tomino battle of the generations, with the older folk sacrificing themselves for the younger people.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Dangerous Person posted:

Turn A is great stuff. You'll dig it.

It should be a nice change of pace, too. Even ignoring general tone differences, it'll more than make up for how poor a Char clone Asher was.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
The last ten episodes or so were just Zanscare officers trying their damnedest to one up each other with their insanity and I can't decide if it was the worst or just bad.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?
It's kind of a shame you didn't do F91 before Victory, it's a very good lead-in to it.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Just finished G-Reco, as I suspected, no payoff. The war just ends after every drat faction showing up to shoot each other until only the "Heroes" are left standing. Did everything return to the status quo? gently caress if I know. Klim likely killed hundreds of people just to flip off his dad. Mask just gets over his BS suddenly. That old dude gets random killed. Space Pope continues to exist.

I don't even really know what the war was even about. It came off as fighting about fighting. Was it about photon batteries? Can't be as all the batteries are back in Venus so they are fighting at the wrong place for them. Fighting over who gets Earth? Nope, they didn't bring enough people and nothing would stop Venus stopping shipments to enforce its will should it do so. It wasn't over the elevator since no one went near it. It wasn't over technology as they ignored Full Moon to shoot each other with tech they got from Venus out of no where or stole ala Manny.

Taboo this, Taboo that, but no one ever adheres to it. You have people screaming about breaking a taboo while breaking that very taboo they are screaming about.

Going to watch Turn A, but skipping the full series for the compilation movies as I suspect I am not going to like the show.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!

oohhboy posted:

Going to watch Turn A, but skipping the full series for the compilation movies as I suspect I am not going to like the show.

There is a reason why people don't talk about the compilation movies as a reasonable alternative to the series.

Reds fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Jan 16, 2016

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

oohhboy posted:

Watch the loving show. It's good at all the things G-Reco is not good at.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

oohhboy posted:

Please don't do this, regardless of your opinions on G-Reco.

Reds
Jun 15, 2015

I sense someone talking about... GUNDAM!
Why the gently caress would anybody want to watch compilation movies for a fifty episode TV series. 0079 sorta works thanks to how the show was paced and structured and it's still 7-9 hours.

If you don't think you'll like it, why are you even watching it at all? Alternatively, you could watch the show and acknowledge that it's good.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fine, fine, I go watch the whole thing. I am always a little suspect when people say something is good but never follow it up with anything concrete.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Reasons why Turn A Gundam is the best Gundam:

- It has some pretty great characters, that get fleshed out over the series
- It has a pretty unique and interesting setting
- It has great animation and designs
- It has a slow, deliberate pace that makes it very much a slow journey rather than a "must-know what happens next" race
- It is probably the most coherent of all the Gundam series
- It has an amazing soundtrack by Yoko Kanno.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlITPE_k90k

"Everyone, come back! The Earth is a nice place!"

The thing is, if you go in thinking it's a normal Gundam show, you'll hate it, because it very much not one. It foregoes a lot of the "standard" Gundam tropes.

Caros
May 14, 2008

oohhboy posted:

Fine, fine, I go watch the whole thing. I am always a little suspect when people say something is good but never follow it up with anything concrete.

I also hate G-reco for all of the reason you list. Kim going full on 9/11 with the creasent ship killing hundreds while assassinating the president would be the starting off point for a war in any series where actions logically led to results but it is a sitcom punchline at the end of a series where no one seems to know what death is.

That said turn a is actually pretty good. I don't like it as much of some goons but the people in it act like people which puts it head and shoulders above G-reco. It is a classic even if I don't much like the turn a itself.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Alright first episode.

Our protagonist almost dies twice and is rescued twice inside of an hour. He is quite the butt monkey and so far has displayed no skills. No Gundam or MS to be found. The technology is very remenicant of Miyazaki at times with the absurd blimp plane boat. 4 People seen nude so far. In a welcome change of pace, I don't wish any sort of death on the cast, in fact I wish them well. Contains people, something G-reco failed to have for 26 episodes.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I never expect people in weird, fantastical settings to act exactly like people in the real world

But heck, I think it's better to expect them to act in a way that fits the setting instead, since using the criteria of "doesn't act like a real person" would rule out plenty of classic anime

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Easy example: Utena is incredibly good and the teenagers in that show sure as gently caress aren't acting like real people.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

MonsieurChoc posted:

The last ride of the Reinforce Jr is probably the best scene in all of Victory Gundam. It's also a complete reversal of the usual Tomino battle of the generations, with the older folk sacrificing themselves for the younger people.

Seriously, It was fantastic and I had a feeling before the bitterness this was going to be the theme for Victory. But then the depression took hold on Tomino and we got a lot of needless death and blood instead.

But yeah, dwelled on it the morning after and I really really find it odd how they just turned away the amnesiac blinded traumitised woman because her previous self did some nasty things because she fell in half love/was brain washed by a half assed Char clone instead of forgiving her and accepting her into society. It was really just a oddly distant cold moment that spoiled the ending for me. It is really weird considering the children after all this are three times the mature adults a majority of the UC cast in Victory are.

Also, still weirded out with what happened with the Halo. Like did they get sent to the same place Amuro and Char are just hanging out? teleported back to Zanscare and made childlike idiots?

I'm sad enough with the loss of so many characters I could have liked if we had writing time dedicated to them instead of space crazy bell lady who doesn't know how babby is formed and her bland as hell Admiral boyfriend.

ImpAtom posted:

Make Chronicle jokes instead.

*I pull my dumb ski mask down to stare blandly at you, then pull it back up*

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx
My roommate just burnt out 6 episodes short of G-Reco and despised it, then went straight into Turn A and loved it. Go with the whole thing.

Just finished SEED myself. Rau put the show on his back for the last five episodes and did his best to carry it uphill, but it wasn't enough. The final battle was at least decent outside of Kira having to miraculously survive with no justification one last time.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Started F91, yeah it is weird I watched this after Victory I must have mixed them up or something. Next to Unicorn, this attack on this poor colony is just as gut wrenchingly brutal. Animation is lovely, Seabook is a silly name and I find it hilarious the head of the Crossbone faction's ideals consist simply of 18th century Agarian land owners Nobleman views.

EDIT: Crossbone soldier formal uniforms win the best looking old timey uniform award, sorry Treize your reign just ended.

SeanBeansShako fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jan 16, 2016

Caros
May 14, 2008

Chickenfrogman posted:

My roommate just burnt out 6 episodes short of G-Reco and despised it, then went straight into Turn A and loved it. Go with the whole thing.

Just finished SEED myself. Rau put the show on his back for the last five episodes and did his best to carry it uphill, but it wasn't enough. The final battle was at least decent outside of Kira having to miraculously survive with no justification one last time.

SEED has a lot of flaws but goddamn do I love Rau. I think he is my favorite Char just for how he goes from calm and collected to batfuck nihilism once he thinks he has won.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Theo Fairchild looks like space Lenin. Just putting that out there.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Droyer posted:

Everyone always talks about how Tomino hates the toys and model kits, but is there actually any proof of that? I've never seen anyone actually give a source for it.

There's a quote in the OP of the gunpla thread that makes it pretty plain.

SethSeries
Sep 10, 2013

Caros posted:

SEED has a lot of flaws but goddamn do I love Rau. I think he is my favorite Char just for how he goes from calm and collected to batfuck nihilism once he thinks he has won.

He's also incredibly effective as Kira's antithesis especially in the fact that he is the only villain in the show to make post deathmatch Kira break his oath to pacifism. Rau goes around killing so many of Kira's friends just to prove that pacifism poo poo will not cut it.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Man, Gundam villains sure do love their genocide.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SeanBeansShako posted:

Hey now. There's... uh...

.. Gjallerhorn doesn't seem to love genocide yet.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Mashita just wanted to sell bootleg Gunpla in peace.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Man, the people behind the music for F91 really dig the soundtrack for Star Wars.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

SeanBeansShako posted:

*I pull my dumb ski mask down to stare blandly at you, then pull it back up*
Chronicle's dumb ski mask is supposedly so he can handle breathing in Earth's atmosphere. Except anyone with a brain cell will immediately realize that a ski mask (especially the one Chronicle wears) will do anywhere between "jack poo poo" and "gently caress all" for that purpose.

Chronicle is definitely not one of the smarter Char Clones.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I love how he wasn't even allowed a space Gundam death. Nope, your going to die flying out your Gundam instead and leave a messy red streak behind you.

Finished F91, It was okay but could have been better had it not been butchered from what was promised. I guess if I care about closure and setting I have to force myself to read the Manga?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

SeanBeansShako posted:

I love how he wasn't even allowed a space Gundam death. Nope, your going to die flying out your Gundam instead and leave a messy red streak behind you.

Finished F91, It was okay but could have been better had it not been butchered from what was promised. I guess if I care about closure and setting I have to force myself to read the Manga?

The Crossbone Gundam manga is a sequel centered on a new conflict, although characters from F91 returned.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

F91 is neat but it suffers from having to cram a chunk of a planned tv series into a movie leading to some weird scene transitions that really stick out.

At least it has a fantastic first act, years later the attack at the beginning is the main thing I remember about it.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Srice posted:

F91 is neat but it suffers from having to cram a chunk of a planned tv series into a movie leading to some weird scene transitions that really stick out.

You aren't kidding.

'Hey dad, lets roll!
*EXPLOSION*
'Seabook, you and your sister crazy times. Welp, I'm dead....'

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

SeanBeansShako posted:

Genocide puts the G in Gundam.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TheManSeries posted:

He's also incredibly effective as Kira's antithesis especially in the fact that he is the only villain in the show to make post deathmatch Kira break his oath to pacifism. Rau goes around killing so many of Kira's friends just to prove that pacifism poo poo will not cut it.

It doesn't hurt that Rau's dub VA absolutely killed with the role. Let alone Kira's friends :v:.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AradoBalanga posted:

Chronicle's dumb ski mask is supposedly so he can handle breathing in Earth's atmosphere. Except anyone with a brain cell will immediately realize that a ski mask (especially the one Chronicle wears) will do anywhere between "jack poo poo" and "gently caress all" for that purpose.

Chronicle is definitely not one of the smarter Char Clones.

To be fair that is also the reason for Kycilia's mask.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I thought it was because of the smell, not because it was difficult for them to breathe

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

muike posted:

I thought it was because of the smell, not because it was difficult for them to breathe

That would make a lot more sense and quite frankly those old Victory Gundam subs are janky in some spots so I can easily believe that.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

oohhboy posted:

Alright first episode.

Our protagonist almost dies twice and is rescued twice inside of an hour. He is quite the butt monkey and so far has displayed no skills. No Gundam or MS to be found. The technology is very remenicant of Miyazaki at times with the absurd blimp plane boat. 4 People seen nude so far. In a welcome change of pace, I don't wish any sort of death on the cast, in fact I wish them well. Contains people, something G-reco failed to have for 26 episodes.

You may want to purge thoughts of g-reco from your mind and just enjoy the adventure, you'll be doing yourself a favor by not going into a show with pre-loaded resentment.

For what it's worth, I didn't recommend watching g-reco (because it didn't seem like the things that people liked about it was stuff that you enjoyed) but I absolutely recommended Turn A.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

muike posted:

It's to filter out pollutants and such, yes. It's specifically tied to the idea that humanity has left earth polluted and ruined. (Which is part of the whole 'we need to get humans off it' thing that Zeon espoused.)