Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
The American giant robot pilot in Getter Robo Go is pretty fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

anti_strunt posted:

Alright, I am getting in touch with a nice young man on eBay regarding my Epic needs. He already has Malcador tanks, so I'll ask if he can hook me up with some more recent FW releases in God's own scale.

But for shizzle, what is the SA policy on recasters? If I find a good source I'd hate to hold out on the thread that's given me so much joy and enlightenment over the last couple of months....

How does Getter Robo Go compare to Shin Mazinger?

Or "Mazinger Edition Z: The Impact!" or whatever the gently caress the official name of the 2009 series was.

Deeply agree. Robot anime seems far too wed to the old Hollywood catastrophe/invasion movie formula, where you have to establish external familial ties to make the threat a threat against an imagined society as a whole, to properly embrace a Jojo dramatology.

re: recasters: Don't give GW money

Getta and Mazinger are awesome but shift from a team dynamic to a single child.

boom boom boom posted:

Go Nagai, the creator of Mazinger Z, is the co-creator of Getter Robo. So they're cut from the same cloth. Super robots piloted by hosed up dudes fighting a crazy army of giant monster robots over the fate of the Earth. Specifically, Getter Robo Go has a much larger scope and a much more apocalyptic feel than Shin Mazinger Z Impact!, though. The whole world is fighting the evil monsters, so there's an international team of crazy robots piloted by bad people.

Basically.

boom boom boom posted:

The American giant robot pilot in Getter Robo Go is pretty fun

Well that is better than some Japanese media making THE JEWS

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Herr Tog posted:

Well that is better than some Japanese media making THE JEWS

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

I'm not jewish but I think I am offended.

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Herr Tog posted:

I'm not jewish but I think I am offended.

She infiltrates a 100% racially pure Germanic society (no black people, a single remaining half-Asian, no other differentiated ethnicities) under constant siege from without from human-seeming but non-human enemies, through her power of Passing as White, as an agent of chaos to destroy it from within.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Herr Tog posted:

I just realized you are unbanned.

I did it like 3 days ago nbd

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

anti_strunt posted:

She infiltrates a 100% racially pure Germanic society (no black people, a single remaining half-Asian, no other differentiated ethnicities) under constant siege from without from human-seeming but non-human enemies, through her power of Passing as White, as an agent of chaos to destroy it from within.

So like...I need to add it to the list even though it doesn't outright say it?

Business Gorillas posted:

I did it like 3 days ago nbd

I missed you, don't get banned for stupid stuff okay?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

anti_strunt posted:

I think it's somewhat disingenuous to attempt to build a case for Attack on Titan being anti-semetic without mentioning the super-badass army leader who's killed more monsters than anybody and is always right and is named Levi

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
I mean, who would think the Japanese could be racist!

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

boom boom boom posted:

I think it's somewhat disingenuous to attempt to build a case for Attack on Titan being anti-semetic without mentioning the super-badass army leader who's killed more monsters than anybody and is always right and is named Levi

Nah, just making fun. I can't claim it has any conscious anti-semitic agenda. No-one could say that Japanese creators are very conscious of addressing the delicacies of racial politics, however.

As far as I recall, isn't Annie the only character with a non-anime-standard-nose in the entire world of the show? I was very disappointed that the only character with a somewhat interesting design was written out as a (highly telegraphed) traitor.

I was surprised to learn that the creator said he was heavily influenced by Watchmen's Rorschach in creating Levi, though. I read that even before I saw his first episode, and I am still not sure how to place the influences.

Edit: and actually, I would not at all put it past an manga writer completely missing the racial connotations of naming a character "Levi", and just using it as another western-style name.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

Shut up about anime jfc

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Shut up about anime jfc

Here is a creator of non-recast, wholly original, but very appropriate Epic material:
http://www.onslaughtmini.com/167-sisterhood-command.html

They also make problematic 6mm tits:
http://www.onslaughtmini.com/161-hellborn-fallen-sisters.html

They also offer a complete 6mm Genestealer cult:
http://www.onslaughtmini.com/31-terran-hybrid-command.html
http://www.onslaughtmini.com/28-terran-hybrids.html
http://www.onslaughtmini.com/153-armored-limousines.html

Unfortunately they do not offer 6mm Vulcan Bolters. eBay is still, to the best of my knowledge, the only recourse for that.

PoontifexMacksimus fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Jan 17, 2016

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Wasn't there an episode of Sienfield where they talk about anime? Like, George is dating some woman who is into anime and Kramer bursts into the room talking about Sailor Moon?

anti_strunt posted:

Here is a creator of non-recast, wholly original, but very appropriate Epic material:

Unfortunately they do not offer 6mm Vulcan Bolters. eBay is still, to the best of my knowledge, the only recourse for that.

Or you could stop indirectly giving money to GW and play Dropzone commander. "I hate the modern music industry making the same poo poo!" *pirates Justin Beiber*

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

You might be thinking of this thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3650516

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Goldmine indeed! Maybe that is what I'm thinking of. Would be better if it was real.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Since it got rebooted I don't think Iv ever seen this thread actually discussing GW. We're back to anime now and soon we'll loop back to star wars and bad female minis and meanwhile warscrolls go unmocked.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

nopantsjack posted:

Since it got rebooted I don't think Iv ever seen this thread actually discussing GW. We're back to anime now and soon we'll loop back to star wars and bad female minis and meanwhile warscrolls go unmocked.

fine, let's get back to warhammer

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

boom boom boom posted:

Phew, just in time

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

anti_strunt posted:

do they do tau poo poo?

boom boom boom posted:

I thought bolters were caseless...

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Shut up about anime jfc

Welcome to the current death thread. Enjoy your stay.

Kill me

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

i can't get over the £100 for 20 dwarfs

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"Magmadroth: Runesmiter, Runefather or Runeson, it's your choice."

Because you're worth it - I mean, what?

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The poses on those... lizards? I guess? The poses are really uninspired. I mean, three feet on the ground, one raised. it's the sort of thing you see in a $5 toy in Toys'R'Us.
There are things I like about it, there are! I mean, big, stonkin', fire-breathing lizard, what's not to like? I'm getting a Chinese Dragon vibe off the thing, though, was that intentional? I think that's intentional. So many frills and wavy bits.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Did someone say X-Wing, but for historical tanks?

quote:

US$25 – €22 – £17
On sale 2016

Starter Box Contents
20-page Rulebook • 3 Plastic Tanks (1 Panther, 2 Sherman) • 12 Dice • 16 Movement/Destroyed Tokens
32 Damage Tokens • 4 Objective Tokens • 4 Measuring Arrows • 40 Tank Identification Tokens • 2 Cardboard Forests
4 Cardboard Houses • 18 Tank Cards • 16 Crew Cards • 7 Hero Crew Cards • 16 Upgrade Cards • 32 Damage Cards

By Battlefront, in 15mm, so presumably expandable to their entire line which you may already have.

"Why didn't GW think of this?" "Why is it so cheap?" etc. The hits just keep on coming.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

Phoon posted:

i can't get over the £100 for 20 dwarfs
Apathetic Runesmith is £18 alone.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I like the camo colored plastic on the tanks. They are a good compromise between pre-painted and bare plastic.

Irate Tree posted:

The poses on those... lizards? I guess? The poses are really uninspired. I mean, three feet on the ground, one raised. it's the sort of thing you see in a $5 toy in Toys'R'Us.
There are things I like about it, there are! I mean, big, stonkin', fire-breathing lizard, what's not to like? I'm getting a Chinese Dragon vibe off the thing, though, was that intentional? I think that's intentional. So many frills and wavy bits.

I like the lizard. Too bad about the dwarves on top. I also don't like the lizard $110 bucks worth.

At least you can get 2 for 220, which is a great discount. I wonder if there is someone at GW who makes these bundles by making a chart of all the new models and rolling some dice. Double 2, time to see a two Archon bundle!

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

LordAba posted:

I like the camo colored plastic on the tanks. They are a good compromise between pre-painted and bare plastic.

Also true of Zvezda's stuff! :eng101:

Also also it's snap-fit but also plastic glueable!

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Herr Tog posted:

do they do tau poo poo?

Yes the Okami Technocracy are very Tau-like and they have (from what I can tell) a 1:1 equivalency of all units.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
So on the "don't give GW money" idea, should I not buy total warhammer? Because I really like Creative Assembly.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

It is acceptable to give other companies money despite GW getting a small cut of it if you like their product.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Also, Warhammer Total War being a success heaps further embarrassment on GW for killing WHFB 2/3 of the way through the game's development

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Josef bugman posted:

So on the "don't give GW money" idea, should I not buy total warhammer? Because I really like Creative Assembly.

It's probably not going to be a good game but GW IP fanboys will drool.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I dunno, I was sure Vermintide was going to be forgettable shovelware and then it turned out to be an awesome co-op action game.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Panzeh posted:

It's probably not going to be a good game but GW IP fanboys will drool.

I'm not so sure. I mean I didn't like Rome 2 all that much and I am definitely going to wait for the goonsensus but if they follow it up like Attila then it may well be good fun!

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Josef bugman posted:

The entire total war series (from Medieval 2 to Rome 2) periodically goes on sale or humble bundle for as cheap as $15. Including most DLCs. You could get that instead cuz total warhammer is prob just gonna be a re-skin of Rome 2 + Shogun 2 (if we're lucky).

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Yeah, get Vermintide. It's surprisingly good.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
Give GW Money when it's good deals and business practices as a way of encouraging them to do things that are good for you. Don't Give GW Money when you're being hosed over, they're overcharging, or they're trying to exploit the consumer, as a way of letting them know that poo poo won't fly.

Maybe if they see Firelawyer Nudistcolonies aren't selling, but cheap Tau bundles and high-effort video game licensing efforts are, their marketing efforts will shift as a result.

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?

The Bee posted:

Give GW Money when it's good deals and business practices as a way of encouraging them to do things that are good for you. Don't Give GW Money when you're being hosed over, they're overcharging, or they're trying to exploit the consumer, as a way of letting them know that poo poo won't fly.

Maybe if they see Firelawyer Nudistcolonies aren't selling, but cheap Tau bundles and high-effort video game licensing efforts are, their marketing efforts will shift as a result.

Jeb Bush 2012
Apr 4, 2007

A mathematician, like a painter or poet, is a maker of patterns. If his patterns are more permanent than theirs, it is because they are made with ideas.
It's a total war game, so buying it at release is a chump move anyway. Wait until it's been out long enough to go on sale, and then buy it if people tell you it's good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

The Bee posted:

What marketing efforts?

• Locked thread