Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

I remember reading Scrye for card prices and scoffing that someone would pay $600 for a black lotus. Didn't they know how many Greven Il-Vecs they could get for that?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
I traded my Shivan Dragon for a Craw Wurm since they were basically the same size and casting cost and I liked green more than red.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Also, gently caress anyone who complains about chaff rares if you've not opened multiple *laces from packs.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

whydirt posted:

Also, gently caress anyone who complains about chaff rares if you've not opened multiple *laces from packs.

Or 2 Vizzerdrixes in 4 packs.

I actually opened 2 of that X-lace with Cipher from my 9 packs of DGM after prerelease.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
God my prerelease sucked.

My pool was a general pile so I tried RB aggro to maybe steal a few wins and didn't win a single game. With there being so many 1/3s for 2 and 2/3s for 3 in this set, 2/1s and 2/2s just can't attack at all.

The 3 mana black instant common kill spell was absolute trash; I wouldn't even look at it as removal and rather as a really lovely combat trick, because it barely kills a third of the commons in this set, and costs more than most of what it does kill. Same thing applies to the Infest variant and the 2 mana Shock, the toughness in this set is just really high in general.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Cactrot posted:

Before my 20 year hiatus I had traded into a beta time vault, and I have no idea where I put it or what happened to it :(

Same but replace beta time vault with handful of revised duals and force of wills. I have an inkling of where my collection might be, but the guy who might have it is teaching in Japan after his house caught fire.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Cactrot posted:

Before my 20 year hiatus I had traded into a beta time vault, and I have no idea where I put it or what happened to it :(

I know the feeling. I do the same thing even now, friend. I had lost a stone blade deck for a year by placing it inside a eurogame. And now I misplaced it and shardless bug deck and my mom put a bunch of my stuff in the basement storage, so I'm lucky to find them in 2 years. Legacy's gonna be way dead by that point lol.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I hate everyone and everything and want to post about it on the Internet. Is this the right place?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Star Man posted:

I hate everyone and everything and want to post about it on the Internet. Is this the right place?

This or the GW death thread, but the latter has a lot of anime. We love our anime there.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
World Breaker is basically Ulamog. If you cast it you don't lose.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Chill la Chill posted:

This or the GW death thread, but the latter has a lot of anime. We love our anime there.

I like durdly midrange creature decks and control, so the removal of Splinter Twin from Modern makes life nice.

Also, banning Deceiver Exarch instead of Splinter Twin means that they attach the enchantment to Pestermite instead. I knew someone that tried that deck for double Standard Extended in 2011, before New Phyrexia released.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Mana symbols as "flair" on the Reddit sub-reddit have been removed. Patrick Jarrett explains here: https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/410la1/why_mana_flair_disappeared/

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

Star Man posted:

I like durdly midrange creature decks and control, so the removal of Splinter Twin from Modern makes life nice.

Also, banning Deceiver Exarch instead of Splinter Twin means that they attach the enchantment to Pestermite instead. I knew someone that tried that deck for double Standard Extended in 2011, before New Phyrexia released.

Pestermite dying to bolt and needing to splash a 2nd color if you want 5+ copies of your creature is a bit important. Banning splinter twin means they want the archetype to die, banning exarch means they want to make it weaker but still good.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Star Man posted:

How many of your midrange creature cards have cool anime alters (counterfeit proxies) ? :3:

fomo sacer
Feb 14, 2007

BJPaskoff posted:

Mana symbols as "flair" on the Reddit sub-reddit have been removed. Patrick Jarrett explains here: https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/410la1/why_mana_flair_disappeared/

On the one hand who cares it's reddit, on the other hand it's sweet that they found probably the actual worst person in the world to do that guys job and they're letting him do it.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

BJPaskoff posted:

Finally he admits he misspoke about something.

Just the least important thing.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

BJPaskoff posted:

I really hope they replace Trick because he is absolutely the worst.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

3 of the 10 people at the prerelease today opened expeditions. I got a Flooded Grove, the guy next to me opened a Tec Edge, and a guy at another table got a Bloodstained Mire.

Went 2-1-1 for 2 packs, but it doesn't matter because the LGS does flat payouts!

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

gwrtheyrn posted:

The promo foils are pretty close to $200 already, so 200-300 shouldn't be all that surprising for the expedition

Yup. Sold in 5 hours, might have underpriced it a bit. When I put it up this afternoon the going rate was about 350 CAD, so I undercut it to 300 + shipping for a quick sale. Now I think there's like one up on Ebay for 350 and the others are around 400 CAD. The first day hype is real.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

odiv posted:

3 of the 10 people at the prerelease today opened expeditions. I got a Flooded Grove, the guy next to me opened a Tec Edge, and a guy at another table got a Bloodstained Mire.

Went 2-1-1 for 2 packs, but it doesn't matter because the LGS does flat payouts!

There was only 1 Expedition at my pre-release. It was a Wasteland. :v:

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Apparently, I got cheated in the first round of my second pre-release. Guy had had way too many uncommons and the judge caught him. Still won the match 2-1 though, and I never even noticed he had added cards.

I do so love getting 2 zendikar resurgant and and a call of the gatewatch in my second pool, but the foil Ob Nix makes up for it. Endbringer is just so good.

STANKBALLS TASTYLEGS
Oct 12, 2012

My pool was a thought-knot seer and jank. Oh well, I got two fetches trading the thought-knot seer.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL
2 prereleases down, 1 to go.

3-1'd midnight to 5th place and 3 packs with Thought-Knot, and 2 Reality Smashers.

Lost in R2 due to a misplay, a game with PERFECT ally curve out, and some bad luck, swept all my other opponents.

5-0'd Saturday noon to 1st place and 5 packs with Noyan Dar, Munda's Vanguard, 2 Cyclone Sires and 2 Jwar Isle Avengers. Ondu War Cleric is nuuuuuuuts.

R4 was the UW Mirror and he had 2xRefector Mage, 2xIsolation Zone, and Kozilek.
R5 was an aggro RG deck where I won game 1 quickly, and won game 2 with both of us at 1 life before I swung for lethal.

Opened a Cinder Glade Expedition in my pool and a Kozilek's Return in my prize packs.

Goin back at Noon for my 3rd chance for sweet pulls. I'll take pics of my UW deck and my Sunday deck after the tourney tomorrow.

Pyronic fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Jan 17, 2016

LlamaTrauma
Jan 12, 2005

Well here I am
Drunk in Heaven
Kinda seems redundant
Went to the prerelease having not opened a pack of magic cards since Urza's Saga.

Pulled a Eye of Udin and went 3-1 running WG tokens w/ Nissa just tearing poo poo up. I fear this may be the resurrection of an expensive habit D:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

born on a buy you posted:

Rumors of eternal masters this summer starting to make their way to the Internet.

$20 boosters here we come TOOT TOOT

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

The best part about all of the Trick Jarrett poo poo is that in his personal life he's a hardcore libertarian

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

rabidsquid posted:

The best part about all of the Trick Jarrett poo poo is that in his personal life he's a hardcore libertarian

Suddenly the leak article makes so much more sense.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.

rabidsquid posted:

That explains his posts on proxies at any rate.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

rabidsquid posted:

I don't know if this is true but I'm gonna believe it anyways because it makes everything so much funnier

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
It makes sense that a philosophy that categorically denies responsibility towards other people would appeal to a man whose chief skill is just completely goofing it

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Lunsku posted:

I really don't think it's a card. Too much effort to get enough out of it, I'd want three Shocks before I'd be happy about having played it and that's no easy feat.

It's a drat shame that in the set that's supposed to be 2HG-friendly, that dumb card of all things doesn't even play nice with 2HG.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
I'm awful at Magic, started the day out 2-0 then proceeded to punt my next three matches and end up 2-3. Feel bad for the two players I won against because I did not deserve those wins at all and one of them just barely failed to make the cut to top 16. Got some cool rares in my pool for my cube I guess

dragon enthusiast fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jan 17, 2016

Trilas
Sep 16, 2004

Promo: Oath of Jace
Pack 1 rare: Hedron Alignment
Pack 2 rare: Call the Gatewatch

At least I had fun:unsmith:, and my 2HG buddy's pool was able to carry me (to our 0-2, bye, drop).

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Trilas posted:

Promo: Oath of Jace
Pack 1 rare: Hedron Alignment
Pack 2 rare: Call the Gatewatch

At least I had fun:unsmith:, and my 2HG buddy's pool was able to carry me (to our 0-2, bye, drop).

I got you beat.

Promo: Inverter of Truth
Call the Gatewatch
Hedron Alignment
Stone Haven Outfitter

Managed 3-2 on the back of mostly decent commons.

e: that was my solo pool. our 2HG pool was sick. Double Endbringer is OP.

Entropic fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Jan 17, 2016

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I did poo poo today at a pre-release. I went 1-3 and so did my girlfriend. She still got a pack and it contained an Ancient Tomb expedition plus a thought-knot seer as the rare. Ownage.

anglachel
May 28, 2012
Went 3/1/1 (people love forcing a draw when you have an unanswered valakut invoker in play) and 5/0 in 2 Headed Giant. Got a Expedition Mystic Gate.

Two Headed Giant felt extremely different and was incredibly fun (says the guy on the winning team). I was playing Black/White Allies with a poo poo ton of vampires (with a focus on the cohort ally synergy) with 3 of the 1/4 flying vampires, and several other allies, and also played all of our colorless focused spells. I had Linvala as my bomb. My teammates was on Red/White allies, with a focus on rally triggersk and a some cohort stuff. He also had a Chandra. So our pool was pretty insane. At one point i had the 2/2 cohort gain 2 life ally, 2 of the 1/4 flying gain life ally, and the allie that burned each opponent for 1 whenever I gain. All the triggers. Chandra is the real deal in limited. Most of the Oath cards are pretty solid and even the worse is good filler if your in those colors.

Going second was our choice everytime, and it seemed to have paid off. The difference is not 1 but 2 cards. Also people didn't realize you got a free mulligan, but you had to mulligan as a team. Some people didn't realize you shared your card pool either. Cards that would normally just be okay become incredibly good. Retreat to Hagra, Zulaport Cuthroat, and Kalastria Healer do double effect damage. And our roughest game was an opponent getting down double Nettle Drone (burning for 4, then getting to untap and do it again whenever they played a colorless spell).

Surge costs become the normal cost for most spells with even the slightest bit of planning with your teammate. Support was really strong in 2 Headed Giant as well.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

anglachel posted:

The difference is not 1 but 2 cards. Also people didn't realize you got a free mulligan, but you had to mulligan as a team.
If you mean to imply that both players on a team must mulligan together that is false. You simply can't wait for you pal to mulligan before you decide to keep.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

Did 3 prereleases and a tripe Oath draft so far. Went 2-2, 4-0, and 0-2 drop at the prereleases, but got a Strip Mine in the one that I lost. Have opened 3 Thought-Knot Seers so far.

Drafting the set is fun, but goddamn a lot of the same cards show up. I drafted a pool with the following (didn't play all of these):

3 of the destroy attacking or blocking creature with power 2 or less
3 Mighty Leaps
3 of the 1/3 1W flying ally
4 of the 3/2 2W Ally that gives itself flying
2 of the 1/4 vigilance Ally
2 of the 3/1 2W with first strike when attacking
2 of the 3/2 goblin with menace with surge
4 of the Ally with Cohort that taps creatures
2 of the 3WW bird with support 2
plus some decent uncommons and rares. I loving destroyed everyone.

My thought so far:
-The black -3/-2 and the 2-mana shock are so loving bad, especially in Sealed. 3 toughness is the standard in this format, and 4 or 5 toughness is not unusual.
-In Sealed blue is like a million times better than all other colors. You get card draw and fliers and counterspells, and some decent removal/tempo plays, and that common that makes colorless mana. You do need an actual win condition though.
-Some of the multicolored uncommons are insanely good, while some are pretty mediocre. The UB one in particular is awful to play against, if you don't kill it fast you will lose. The GB one is also real loving good, as is the UG and UW one. UR, RW, and BR are not as good.
-Green still sucks rear end IMO, though it's not QUITE as awful as it was before. Turns out not being able to interact with your opponent's creatures other than a 5 mana uncommon sorcery is bad.
-I like Support a lot in draft, where the curves are tighter and combat is closer. It seems less effective in sealed.
-In draft it seems easier to draft cards that require colorless mana than it is to draft sources of colorless, so if you want to use <> mana you need to draft it fairly highly. Drafting a deck that needs <> and doesn't have it feels pretty awful, I would imagine. This does very strange things to manabases and IMO Unknown Shores is a top-tier common, it effectively taps for 6 colors. Hedron Archive is an even higher pick now and will be a lot less likely to get cashed in. The creatures that produce colorless are good but don't count on them staying alive.

All in all a really fun set so far, looking forward to 2HG tomorrow.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I'm inclined to agree that white is strong as hell in this format, my RW thing got completely walled out by a Mardu shell running the 0/6 for 2 walls, the black ally that gives you 1 life when tapped, the cohort looter, Eldrazi Displacer, and Munda's loving Vanguard.

If you open Munda's Vanguard make the durdliest deck you can, you will win.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Bugsy posted:

Apparently, I got cheated in the first round of my second pre-release. Guy had had way too many uncommons and the judge caught him. Still won the match 2-1 though, and I never even noticed he had added cards.

How do you catch this? Was he literally playing more uncommons than it was possible for his pool to open, or did he just have all of them on color and the judge asked to check the rest of his pool?

• Locked thread