Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Hey you, do you wanna prove to the rest of SA that you've got balls and mettle by doing that Steroids cosplay we all know you've got the body type for?

...Okay well what about if it's a competition and you get a signed copy of the physical Collector's Edition of the game if you win?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reznor
Jan 15, 2006

Hot dinosnail action.

CJacobs posted:

Hey you, do you wanna prove to the rest of SA that you've got balls and mettle by doing that Steroids cosplay we all know you've got the body type for?

...Okay well what about if it's a competition and you get a signed copy of the physical Collector's Edition of the game if you win?

Wouldn't that just be naked with nerd guns?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

I finally unlocked hard mode

I probably shouldn't have, because playing it made me enjoy the game far far less

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
hard mode isn't super great, although it's a bit better than it used to be. at least play it until you get chicken's b-skin tho

KRILLIN IN THE NAME
Mar 25, 2006

:ssj:goku i won't do what u tell me:ssj:

I just died to the throne with a really good Steroids built - cursed super splinter gun + regular super splinter gun, Throne Butt, Rabbit Paw, Strong Back and Bolt Marrow. It was beautiful to see 🅱🅾🅻🆃🆂 🅴🆅🅴🆁🆈🆆🅷🅴🆁🅴

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Some cool stats just released:

https://www.reddit.com/r/NuclearThrone/comments/411cgi/a_fistful_of_dailies_data_on_a_years_worth_of/ posted:

Hello everyone! I'm Darwin, you may know me as a developer of the original Thronebutt.com website that collected daily run stats back in Early Access. Recently I've been hired by Vlambeer to re-make a website and the back-end. One part of the back-end is a system that flags suspicious scores for review by a human - and while I'm really excited about that part I can't exactly reveal all the details. To properly "train" the system, I required data on recent Nuclear Throne runs and various medians and averages, but since there's no kill like overkill I decided to just collect all the data and do statistics. Hopefully this will quench your statistics thirst until the website is out!
(Note that this includes all daily runs, including the early access ones.)
General stats

Total scores: 1068343
Scores with data: 506486
Unfinished runs (score = -1): 31154
Average score: 205.74
Average score of top 100 runs: 15461.96
Average score of top 10 000 runs: 2394.84
Character stats

Note that these and the following stats are from the "scores with data" pool.
Most common character: Crystal (101344 runs).

Biggest run enders

Bandits are responsible for 92803 (18.32%) ended runs. Vlombo nerf plz.
Following the bandits are the Big Bandit with 32343 (6.38%) ended runs, Ravens with 32282 (6.37%) ended runs, Snipers (22654, 4.47%) and Assassins (22097, 4.36%).
On the high-skill front (top 10 000 runs), the top murderer is the same with Bandits taking 10.81% runs followed by the dreaded Elite Shielders (8.95%), the Van (7.9%), Laser Crystal (5.87%) and the Grunt (4.53%).
Most lethal area

Looking at all scores, the most lethal area is L0, 1-3, the Big Bandit fight, with 77873 deaths. They are followed by L0, 3-3 (50507), L0, 3-1 (46699) and L0, 5-3 (46222). The area that gives the most headache to people who loop is L1, 1-1.
On the top 10 000 runs, the areas giving people most trouble were L1, 4-1 (10.3%), L1, 3-3 (9.57%) and L1, 5-3 (8.2%).
Most used weapons

The most used weapons globally were Crossbow (used in 82755 runs), Revolver (61518), Grenade Launcher (50486), Assault Rifle (48845) and Laser Pistol (39929).
Most used weapons in the top 10 000 range were the Auto Crossbow (12.96%), Heavy Auto Crossbow (10.73%) and the Energy Sword (9.86%)
Other stats

91.8% of the runs did not end in a loop. However, 89.2% of top 10 000 scores were scores with a loop.
69.3% of top 10 000 scores were made with the Crown of Blood. Naturally, most runs, 89.9% of them (455460) have no crown at all.
100% of Darwins would love to keep working on these stats but it's almost 5am and they have to sleep. They'll be back with more once Thronebutt is up and running. Cheers!

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I think it's really interesting that Bandits are the top killers-I play DCSS a lot and despite all the crazy powerful enemies later on in that game, the #1 killer statistically is the unassuming hobgoblin, showing up on the very first floors.

I would make an assumption that the top killer in any roguelike will always be an "easy" earlygame enemy, unless the earlygame is totally trivial.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Well, they're common so they get more shots to kill you too. It's funny with bandits though, because they shoot so haphazardly you can have cases where a room full will be just holding fire the entire time, or shooting as fast as they can. They hold fire enough that you don't just start dodging them automatically, like you would a Golden Tank or a Scorpion, who are fairly predictable in their firing patterns -- even if it's almost immediate you do know it's coming.

Also, I might be mistaken but they don't really seem to aim, so in a hail of fire where it's all heading to where you were 2 seconds ago, random bandit shots could be heading anywhere.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
They actually always shoot in the direction their gun is currently pointing, which is not always at you.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
for all intents and purposes, for a non-savant player on a crowded screen bandits may as well be firing randomly with zero warning though

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Right, but crows do too, and they fire three shots at a time. Both can be dangerous on an open room though(everything can be dangerous on an open room though)

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Also Bandits are the only mob that appears in every normal level and even some secret ones, which makes the chance they kill you pretty high compared to other mobs.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Everywhere but the desert you just get like one or two bandits tucked away in a little alcove next to a chest, though.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

In loops there are more tho, and when you die from a hail of random bullets, chances are there is at least 1 bandit bullet in there somewhere!

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
Just started playing again for the first time in months - why is the exit portal sometimes spawning across the map from where I killed the last enemy? It's very odd.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
It is meant to spawn at the last corpse, which seems to include props (like cactus & stuff if you broke it after the last enemy) however explosive barrels seem to take precedent over this so in the desert you'll have the portal spawn on them half the time.

Future Days
Oct 25, 2013

The Taurus didn't offer much for drivers craving the sport sedan experience. That changed with the 1989 debut of the Ford Taurus SHO (for Super High Output), a Q-ship of the finest order that offered up a high-revving Yamaha-designed V-6 engine and a tight sport suspension.

PleasingFungus posted:

Just started playing again for the first time in months - why is the exit portal sometimes spawning across the map from where I killed the last enemy? It's very odd.

It's a bug. Sometimes portals spawn where a barrel exploded, especially in 1-X.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
OK, I figured it was something like that.

Lil' Hunter delenda est.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Finally managed to kill the Throne (on PS4), with Crystal, and the Hyper Rifle (I think). No loop though; am I right in thinking I need to blow up the generators either side? I've tried to do it a few times since (the weekly seems bugged and keeps letting me repeat it), but keep getting killed before I can blow up all of them.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

https://giant.gfycat.com/WhiteSlowIlladopsis.webm

Getting dual hyper rifles, recycle gland, and throne butt is great.

e. Also yeah, you need to kill the four generators before killing the throne to loop.

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Weekly isn't bugged if you're able to repeat it. You get unlimited tries at a new high score with the weekly, it's just the daily which is 1 attempt only.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Of course, on PC right now those are currently backwards and have been for at least 2 months at this point.

e: It looked like it was fixed (first time I'd seen the weekly up in awhile) so I tried the daily and then the game crashed when I got to throne II

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jan 17, 2016

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Yeah. Admittedly I haven't bothered touching dailies til they push an update.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Cool. I couldn't do weekly before on the PS4 for some reason. Can I unlock stuff on them? The new weekly I can reliably get to the throne, because a super splinter gun seems to always spawn at Big Dog (I'm guessing chest spawns are generated with the seed), and that really helps.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

finally.

(the first time I reached the throne, months ago, it vaporized me with the central cannon...)

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Congrats! :toot:

Now beat captain. And then beat loop :kheldragar:

Sibilant Crisp
Jul 4, 2014

Maluco Marinero posted:

It is meant to spawn at the last corpse, which seems to include props (like cactus & stuff if you broke it after the last enemy) however explosive barrels seem to take precedent over this so in the desert you'll have the portal spawn on them half the time.

Somehow this wasn't obvious to me and I always just assumed they tried to spawn near you but sometimes they didn't.

It makes so much more sense now.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LB66UYrm0DU

I loving did it! :woop:

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

IronicDongz posted:

Congrats! :toot:

Now beat captain. And then beat loop :kheldragar:

Just looped for the first time! Still, very good day for me!

e: I got hit by a van

PleasingFungus fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jan 17, 2016

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Beating Throne at 1 HP... powerful gaming......

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Fuckin' lol at that throne fight, ending up behind it.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
That video is a good example of why you should not go into the holes in the wall that the generators/you make(or behind the throne), it makes it spam balls like crazy

congrats on surviving it though! I've only survived going behind the throne once myself, on a run where it ended up backing me up to the back wall and I burrowed my way behind it with an energy hammer

Colosmicon
Jan 5, 2013

Congratulations on surviving the ugliest 7-2 known to man :toot:

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

What

Maluco Marinero posted:

Fuckin' lol at that throne fight, ending up behind it.

The rapid orb spam is something it does to kill you if you hide in the generator holes, how the hell did you survive that

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
melee is good

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

IronicDongz posted:

melee is good

Shovel + euphoria + hammerhead stacks the deck well in your favour as far as surviving that kind of bullet hell. Still a lucky duck to get through it.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Tetracube posted:

The rapid orb spam is something it does to kill you if you hide in the generator holes, how the hell did you survive that

The shovel is my favorite weapon in the game, for good reason. I'll never pass one up. :colbert:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Not as good as ultra shovel(although you got an ultra shovel at an unlucky time, since you had low rads and your other weapon wasn't super ammo efficient)

RoboCicero
Oct 22, 2009
"oh man, i really should unlock YV"
"oh sweet, got to 3-1, where the heck is the car? oh, it's like the last one? i'll kill these bandits and unlock it before the exit portal sp-"

e: i got it on the next try, but dang if that wasn't an amazing and abrupt end

RoboCicero fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Jan 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcEuAkyXxxY relevant

• Locked thread