Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

So I just finished watching the prequel trilogy again, and I have to say they steadily improve. TPM is TPM, Clones is OK but with some pretty glaring flaws, while Revenge taken by itself is actually a pretty good movie.

Overall it would have be nice if George wasn't trying to make kids movies though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Notice also how luke impales his enemies with his white-hot penis stick, forsaking nonlethal embracing weapons such as the whip, and the throwing anus.

This is in stark contrast to Vader, who sacrifices his life (much like the Jhe'ezus of Nazooreth) to save the galaxy...with hug.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Star Wars is science fiction that takes place in our universe, a long time ago. So: why can't you move things with your thoughts?

Star Wars is a fantasy film that relies on hard science about as much as the X-Men films do. X-Men takes place in our universe right now, but I still can't move things with my thoughts.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
Um that's a space ship not a skull haha ha... haa... :henget:

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Man, Utapau has some really nice design work overall. It's a shame that people focus overly on the fact that Grievous is a bit of a patsy and that Obi-Wan rides a lizard.

Also, I just realised something really obvious - Grievous is exactly the kind of name a Sith Lord would give themselves. General Grievous desperately wants to be Darth Grievous, but his severe injuries led to him being interred in a robo-body and basically reduced to the level of the battle droids he commands. So he clings onto his 'humanity' with all four robot arms, a stolen lightsaber in each, and demands an honourable duel with Obi-Wan when he could just have his droids shoot him.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Phylodox posted:

Star Wars is a fantasy film that relies on hard science about as much as the X-Men films do. X-Men takes place in our universe right now, but I still can't move things with my thoughts.

That's silly; X-Man takes place in various alternate timelines.

There's no time travel in Star Wars. Star Wars is a film that deals in questions of machine intelligence, cyborgs, and proving the existence of God.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Star Wars is science fiction that takes place in our universe, a long time ago. So: why can't you move things with your thoughts?

The planet grievous hides out in is a gigantic sarlacc pit. Inside, there are massive skeletons.

And a gigantic skull.

This is good design work that puts a twist on the sarlacc imagery. It's not like doing a Tatooine 2, Coruscant 2, Yoda 2, and Death Star 3.... People have made their homes in this place, whereas Luke saw the sarlacc as merely a hole where he could dispose of his enemies. The skeletons are presented quite matter-of-factly, as just a part of life.

It's great design work. Aren't these presumably done by the same work group though? Disney didn't merely buy the franchise name, they got the actual infrastructure of Lucasfilm, Skywalker Ranch, and ILM, right? I'd have to imagine at least some of the designers carried over.

But the only things I would say they nailed on design in TFA is Kylo Ren, BB8, Ren's ship (which was really just a Lambda class with long rear end wings), and a handful of various aliens. None of the design is particularly bad, I don't even think Maz is bad design like you seem to, is just completely unremarkable.

The prequels just have amazing design in every aspect.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

After discussing the merits and flaws of Star Wars on Facebook in a thread started from a share of Cracked's most recent post on why something you like is actually crap, I gotta be honest: I wish more people would discuss the series with the humor and insite that this thread does.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
The visual aesthetic of the prequels is awful, incoherent poo poo and one of the worst parts of the prequel series as a whole, especially in terms of how much criticism it generally receives vs. how bad it is

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Phylodox posted:

I have completely lost track of how this relates to Star Wars. Is the discussion over whether or not the Force exists? Because the movies don't give us any reason to doubt that it does.
I was responding to the writing in a post. I even bolded the part I was responding to.

In Return of the Jedi, Luke discovers that force powers are a genetic mutation (which is why it runs in families, for example), and the Jedi were just a collective of people with that mutation who imposed their brand of Order on everything, really no different from the Emperor. To create peace and justice you can't just restore the hegemony of the people who call themselves the good guys. You have to obliterate tyrannous systems and create better ones.

This is analogous to discovering that Jesus didn't exist - but resolving to believe in the message of the book anyway.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Tezzor posted:

The visual aesthetic of the prequels is awful, incoherent poo poo and one of the worst parts of the prequel series as a whole, especially in terms of how much criticism it generally receives vs. how bad it is

Well now you've lost me, the design work of the prequels is one of the few things I thought it had going for it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Just finished up watching Phantom Menace for the first time since it was in theaters with my wife who is a Chinese national and had never seen, much less really ever heard of these films, until we started watching them in anticipation of The Force Awakens. After watching it we both agree, Phantom Menace is better than a New Hope.

Please pack it in, OT Fundamentalists.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

This thread is insane and I hate it.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Tezzor posted:

The new movie (and the direction of the new franchise as a whole) distancing itself from the prequels (ie pretending they never existed) is not a random act of nature worth mentioning only in passing.

You seem to be ignoring an entire generation of children who absolutely love The Clone Wars CG cartoon (which was for many of those kids their first star war) and thus, love all the prequel stuff. Clones, Anakin, all that. Theyre

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Neurolimal posted:

Notice also how luke impales his enemies with his white-hot penis stick, forsaking nonlethal embracing weapons such as the whip, and the throwing anus.

This is in stark contrast to Vader, who sacrifices his life (much like the Jhe'ezus of Nazooreth) to save the galaxy...with hug.

Please, that's clearly a powerbomb.

Holy poo poo Kevin Nash is Darth Vader it all makes sense now

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

CelticPredator posted:

This thread is insane and I hate it.

Then why do you post in it?

I'm not being snarky, I'm honestly curious. Maybe your answer can help me figure out why I do.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I actually do like Star Wars. And would love to talk but mostly read about Star Wars, but no one wants to talk about any of the movies besides the prequels. I would love to read a smarter person than me post something really cool and good about the OT or The Force Awakens, or those loving Ewok movies. Anything but the prequels. Goddamn.

This is only a request, and not a demand.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

I actually do like Star Wars. And would love to talk but mostly read about Star Wars, but no one wants to talk about any of the movies besides the prequels. I would love to read a smarter person than me post something really cool and good about the OT or The Force Awakens, or those loving Ewok movies. Anything but the prequels. Goddamn.

The prequels currently account for approximately 43% of all content in the Star Wars films, excluding Ewoks etc, and will account for 33% when all is said and done. Ignoring such a large portion of the franchise and how it inter-relates to the rest seems odd.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

CelticPredator posted:

I remember watching the Ewok movies back-to-back as a kid, and the start of the second movie is such a tremendous "gently caress you" to anyone who enjoyed the first movie.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

People post in this thread because they theoretically like discussing Star Wars.

This may or may not actually be the case.

Some people seem to be posting because they like to discuss themes, cinematography, or what have you - often completely independent of overall value judgments. Let's refer to this as Discussing the Films.

Others either genuinely believe, or saw a convincing youtube video telling them, that the films are simply Bad and contain nothing of merit, and find the above posters annoying because their mere presence means they disagree with their belief. So they attempt to 'disprove' the writings of the above. These attempts seem to fail. We see a fallback of repeatedly, loudly proclaiming 'I just don't like them. I don't like them', having settled on the apparently-comforting notion that, since experience is subjective, they are technically saying something that is accurate.

Somewhere down the line, some members of the second group realise they don't really have to keep reminding people they just didn't like the films because other people can think differently and might not be convinced, and do something else. Others decide to begin Discussing the Films. Others continue, even longer, because they can't let go of the idea that a discussion will eventually reveal the truth (which was that they are right) and thus must continue to contribute, in their own way, by telling you that the conversation they willingly take part in and subject themselves to is not one they enjoy.

Explaining in greater detail than 'i just didn't like it' is difficult because there's the inherent fear of discovering that you don't have a very good reason for not liking something. 'I don't need to think about that stuff. I just didn't like it.'

And then Trump gets elected.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I just like reading cool stuff about movies. And I don't really find the prequel chat all that cool.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

korusan posted:

Actually I was pretty clear that I said 80%:

Oh yeah I did. The aggregates were from imdb, Rotten Tomatoes, and Metacritic, and they all fall within the average range of 70s, or lower. I never said they were universally panned, I said they weren't "well reviewed" as another person claimed.

One thing that makes aggregation sites actually pretty bad for supporting points is that some of it is made up and/or stuff written later on. Here's a 1999 review of The Phantom Menace. Go read it, it's short. Its conclusion, after complaining about how Jar Jar is foolish, Amidala is ineffective, Obi-Wan is tentative, and Anakin acts like a kid:

quote:

The overall look and feel of the picture is always powerful. And the sound effects serenade your ears with palpable crispness. The prime scene – the real thriller, for my money – is an exhilarating spacecraft land race, in which Anakin Skywalker plays a youthful Ben Hur to Sebulba, a tentacled, cheating Messala who tries to destroy his space pod. Now that's a cool scene.

But after the movie's immediate effect has worn off, the shortcomings hover in the air. Obviously, this film will touch the lives and fantasies of millions of people. But I'd be surprised if a majority of "Phantom" fans – after sober reflection in a Jedi monastery, of course – place the movie at the top of the "Star Wars" pantheon. I think even Yoda would back me up on that.

What grade do you think Metacritic made up (apparently literally) for that review? The review itself does not give the movie any kind of score.
It's a 40, obviously.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
CelticPredator, at this point you just have to ask yourself, honestly, if this thread is having a net positive impact on your life or not. Are whatever insights you manage to glean worth the constant arguing? If not, then just leave and be satisfied in your enjoyment of the films.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Barudak posted:

Just finished up watching Phantom Menace for the first time since it was in theaters with my wife who is a Chinese national and had never seen, much less really ever heard of these films, until we started watching them in anticipation of The Force Awakens. After watching it we both agree, Phantom Menace is better than a New Hope.

Did your wife find the Neimoidians kinda loving racist at all? Because I'll be honest I thought that was why you were mentioning her ethnicity.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah, It's not, no. I just keep hoping to read something cool from someone smarter than me about the half of Star Wars I enjoy. Reading stuff is cool. Oh well.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

CelticPredator posted:

Yeah, It's not, no. I just keep hoping to read something cool from someone smarter than me about the half of Star Wars I enjoy. Oh well.

Read this book and write a report on it for us.

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-BFI-Film-Classics/dp/1844572773

There's your OT stuff. BFI books are usually interesting.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

AndyElusive posted:

Did your wife find the Neimoidians kinda loving racist at all? Because I'll be honest I thought that was why you were mentioning her ethnicity.

I mentioned it primarily because China is a market where nothing but Episode 7 has ever been released or discussed. The release of Episode 7 has been the source of western teasing and joking on the big networks over the past bit but the marketing strategy to release their last has really worked. She and her friends are now all desperately catching up, and all of them are the perfect idea of people being exposed to these films for the first time making decisions without nostalgic influence.

RE: Neimoidians, she thought they were supposed to be African for the first bit, and was unable to place them outside of that. After discussing American reactions to them she sort of sees the Japanese but that vocal stereotype isn't how China typically would view Japanese speakers. She really liked them, and thought the plot was even more hella Chinese/Asian influenced than the OT.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Jan 17, 2016

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The prequels: Plinkett never told you what happened to Star Wars.

Fans: He told me enough. He told me you killed it.

The prequels: No. I am Star Wars.

Fans: That's not true! That's impossible!

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

AndyElusive posted:

The big thing in Phantom Menace is characters who don't act 'intelligent' (read: 'like us') enough get discounted and ignored. The gungans are unimportant once they've helped save the [white] humans. The nemoidians are cowards who can be put back in their place with a few threats. Jar Jar gets knocked out by qui gon because he doesn't like the way he talks.

Racial stereotypes are traditionally viewed as morally wrong because they misrepresent large groups of people - ethnics don't really act like that, so it's wrong to marginalise them. Like in the Mitchell and Webb sketch where they say that they shouldn't kill the poor, because it wouldn't help the economy to do so, there's an unspoken darkness to this approach. Phantom Menace asks the question 'what if they did act like that?' And creates fantasy creatures that really do act like bizarre stereotypes. Does that suddenly make their marginalisation and frequent mass-murder actually okay?

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Hbomberguy posted:

People post in this thread because they theoretically like discussing Star Wars.

Some people seem to be posting because they like to discuss themes, cinematography, or what have you - often completely independent of overall value judgments. Let's refer to this as Discussing the Films.

Others either genuinely believe, or saw a convincing youtube video telling them, that the films are simply Bad and contain nothing of merit, and find the above posters annoying because their mere presence means they disagree with their belief. So they attempt to 'disprove' the writings of the above. These attempts seem to fail. We see a fallback of repeatedly, loudly proclaiming 'I just don't like them. I don't like them', having settled on the apparently-comforting notion that, since experience is subjective, they are technically saying something that is accurate.

Somewhere down the line, some members of the second group realise they don't really have to keep reminding people they just didn't like the films because other people can think differently and might not be convinced, and do something else. Others decide to begin Discussing the Films. Others continue, even longer, because they can't let go of the idea that a discussion will eventually reveal the truth (which was that they are right) and thus must continue to contribute, in their own way, by telling you that the conversation they willingly take part in and subject themselves to is not one they enjoy.

Explaining in greater detail than 'i just didn't like it' is difficult because there's the inherent fear of discovering that you don't have a very good reason for not liking something. 'I don't need to think about that stuff. I just didn't like it.'

remember when you made this?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
God, I love Star Wars!

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

PBS Newshour posted:

God, I love Star Wars!

That's kind of weird man.

Have you ever seen Star Trek?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Sure have! Set your phasers to hyperspace!

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The fact of the matter is that Galaxy Quest is much better than Spaceballs.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

Probably the best things to come out of the PT is the pod racer game and the The Phantom Menace game, both of those were enjoyable video games!

edit: gently caress, also the theme!

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Bongo Bill posted:

Galaxy Quest was a gutless and unwarranted attack on a fanbase. Spaceballs is legit funny.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Pod Racing arcade game is probably in the top 3 if not the best movie tie-in arcade game ever

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Bongo Bill posted:

This is true, because Galaxy Quest works as a standalone narrative along with commenting on its franchise. In that respect it's similar to better Mel Brooks movies like Young Frankenstein.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Hbomberguy posted:

I was responding to the writing in a post. I even bolded the part I was responding to.

In Return of the Jedi, Luke discovers that force powers are a genetic mutation (which is why it runs in families, for example), and the Jedi were just a collective of people with that mutation who imposed their brand of Order on everything, really no different from the Emperor. To create peace and justice you can't just restore the hegemony of the people who call themselves the good guys. You have to obliterate tyrannous systems and create better ones.

This is analogous to discovering that Jesus didn't exist - but resolving to believe in the message of the book anyway.

This is spot on and exactly what I was talking about, thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Hbomberguy posted:

He's unstumpable, I hear.

• Locked thread