Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slanderer
May 6, 2007

simosimo posted:

Didn't see this posted re: lift chat :)

http://youtu.be/YgJBD1wf-YQ

I like the graffiti that shows that people did ride it over the top

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That also happens to people if you make the rope too long.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kX7R5Hr3t9o

Pretty safe I think.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rEirzMJG9d8

door.jar
Mar 17, 2010

Jet Jaguar posted:

I like how there's a little emergency bell pull, right where your extremities would be sheared off by the floor. Very convenient!

I think it's so that if you ARE hanging out and about to be sheared in half you'll hit and trip the emergency cord first and the whole thing stops.

AnnoyBot
May 28, 2001
A breaker in the cottage in my parents' back yard tripped a few weeks ago and it wouldn't reset.

When they finally tore into the wall, they found this lovely romex that had been chewed on by mice and somehow didn't burn the place down:

Note the two wires welded together.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

So the breakers did there job. Osha win!
"Somehow didn't burn down" when the safety backup worked.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Dunno about those early prototypes, but modern RTGs absorb all the energy released from decay and convert it into heat, so by design they don't emit any radiation whatsoever. And it's mostly alpha radiation to begin with, so if you have a functional skin layer you're fine.

The only real danger is the case being ruptured and spilling whatever isotopes into the environment (radiation aside they're generally toxic just on the chemical level), but that's pretty unlikely in a lab environment as shown.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Number_6 posted:

WTF is the story behind this?

someone painted their big league chew black so itd look a bit more like the real thing

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Is that a Lenin statue? :laffo:

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

AndreTheGiantBoned posted:

Coming late to the mine/elevator chat, but this seems relevant to the thread. The Brazilian photographer Sebastião Salgado took these pictures in a Brazilian mine (in the second half of the 20th century!!!).

(He is an amazing ethnographic photographer. His Genesis book is a great way to get introduced to his work)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EoOdhKYj8Bc

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Facebooks "timehop" reminded me how safe the poo poo my old boss made me do was.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

The way the cord wraps around the statue's neck is hypnotic.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It's pretty much proof that God hates communism

Dylan16807
May 12, 2010

Bombadilillo posted:

So the breakers did there job. Osha win!
"Somehow didn't burn down" when the safety backup worked.

I would guess from the condition of the wire that while the breaker kept it from being a possible firestarter for very long, it still could have started a fire.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Enourmo posted:

Dunno about those early prototypes, but modern RTGs absorb all the energy released from decay and convert it into heat, so by design they don't emit any radiation whatsoever. And it's mostly alpha radiation to begin with, so if you have a functional skin layer you're fine.

The only real danger is the case being ruptured and spilling whatever isotopes into the environment (radiation aside they're generally toxic just on the chemical level), but that's pretty unlikely in a lab environment as shown.

Just wait until you have to dig one up on Mars to get home!

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

If memory serves, that pallet that fell was a brand-new MRI machine worth multiple millions.

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

Jet Jaguar posted:

I like how there's a little emergency bell pull, right where your extremities would be sheared off by the floor. Very convenient!

There is a gap covered with boards that would pop out, so at least you won't lose a foot.

Tochiazuma
Feb 16, 2007

spog posted:

If memory serves, that pallet that fell was a brand-new MRI machine worth multiple millions.

That segment looked completely staged. Take a look at a longer version and I think you'll agree...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvnPQ2sUsW0

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:

Tochiazuma posted:

That segment looked completely staged. Take a look at a longer version and I think you'll agree...

Certainly solves the mystery of the barking dog.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Tochiazuma posted:

The operator running at the end :laffo:

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

AnnoyBot posted:

A breaker in the cottage in my parents' back yard tripped a few weeks ago and it wouldn't reset.

When they finally tore into the wall, they found this lovely romex that had been chewed on by mice and somehow didn't burn the place down:

Note the two wires welded together.

The new AFCI (arc fault circuit interrupter) breakers should prevent that from happening. If the wire shorts from phase to neutral, that might pull enough current to trip a regular breaker. If you have a series fault, where there's a break in the line that intermittently arcs across the same phase, that probably isn't enough current to trip the breaker but enough heat to potentially cause a fire. An AFCI will interrupt the circuit in both cases.

The drawback is that the AFCI basically needs a little microprocessor to determine if an arc is occurring (where as with a ground fault circuit interrupter it's extremely easy to measure current in versus current out), so they're expensive and I've heard lots of people have problems with false-positive trips.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

http://i.imgur.com/OCHxfTd.gifv

Sneaking
Sep 15, 2009

Wasn't sneaking. Stupid fat hobbits.

Waffle! posted:

The way the cord wraps around the statue's neck is hypnotic.

There's a kind of poetry to it. Like, it speaks to me about safety and the plight of the proletariat.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.

Sneaking posted:

There's a kind of poetry to it. Like, it speaks to me about safety and the plight of the proletariat.

The gestalt of Lenin actually smashing the worker's ability to climb out of the hole of oppression.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Three-Phase posted:

The drawback is that the AFCI basically needs a little microprocessor to determine if an arc is occurring (where as with a ground fault circuit interrupter it's extremely easy to measure current in versus current out), so they're expensive and I've heard lots of people have problems with false-positive trips.

My parents recently remodeled their kitchen, and it has these. Aggrievating as gently caress when those things trip for no reason on a wall outlet, and some appliance on the other side of the room quits working and you have no idea which one is the culprit.

Sneaking
Sep 15, 2009

Wasn't sneaking. Stupid fat hobbits.
If I haven't seen it, it's new to me.

Xlorp
Jan 23, 2008

Sneaking posted:

One way or another, I'm a gonna make you squeal like a piggy

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
jfc

guy on the bottom isnt even wearing safety goggles or ear protection

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy
The saw is also not rotating, cuz it's staged.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Robo Reagan posted:

jfc

guy on the bottom isnt even wearing safety goggles or rear protection

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

I thought that was going to end a lot worse than it did.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Lou Takki posted:

I thought that was going to end a lot worse than it did.

You and me both. I wasn't expecting the tree to be under tension back towards vertical. I was expecting the tree to snap in half and fall towards the ground, along with what would have very quickly turned into a tangled, flailing, screaming mass of limbs and chainsaw.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Sneaking posted:

I see a niche market for a new safety item: a Kevlar rear end-Apron!

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.

Anony Mouse posted:

The saw is also not rotating, cuz it's staged.

I have a camera/lens combo that can easilly motion stop a spinning sawblade in either good light or with a fair bit of noise up to 8k RPM.

Sadly, you're probably right.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
a building exploded at a oil sands operation on friday. rip some guy

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Am I the only one that stared at that picture for a good 30 seconds waiting for the explosion? I see.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Am I the only one that stared at that picture for a good 30 seconds waiting for the explosion? I see.

I opened up the image to see if it was a GIF or a JPG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
My work, my work, my work is on fire:

We can't flip the breaker because the security guys put a lock on the panel.

(Sorry for the lovely cellphone pic, but you can at least see that it is, in fact, glowing orange-hot behind the cover plate.)

• Locked thread