Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

BabyRyoga posted:

Ok, got that out of the way.

Now i'm getting a red screen whenever I run the homebrew launcher. The CIA installed just loops me back to the selector for rxtools that loads in lieu of menuhacks, and if I choose homebrew launcher from that screen, it starts to load but freezes on red.

edit: I gather that it's pointing to the wrong boot file, because I can still launch from the selector menu via file browser.

You have menuhax installed in emuNAND, change your theme in emuNAND to get rid of menuhax and solve the black screen problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.

flyboi posted:

Gateway released a new patch that has 10.3 EMUNAND support :toot:
http://www.gateway-3ds.com/

Does this mean anything for non-gateway using folks?

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

shaitan posted:

Does this mean anything for non-gateway using folks?

Nope you can't boot into Gateway emunand unless you have a Gateway cartridge

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What's the correct way to restore a Emunand backup?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Anyone have an alternative emulator for SNES on 3DS other than blargSNES? Its Secret of Mana emulation isn't so great on the world map.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Fuzz posted:

Anyone have an alternative emulator for SNES on 3DS other than blargSNES? Its Secret of Mana emulation isn't so great on the world map.

Are you using CFW or homebrew hax?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Abu Dave posted:

What's the correct way to restore a Emunand backup?

Get this:
http://gbatemp.net/threads/release-emunand9tool-open-source-emunand-formatter-manager.405921/

Put your emunand backup on the root of your SD card, name it EmuNAND.bin

Start EmuNAND9 and choose "Clone EmuNAND.bin to EmuNAND"

Wait ca. 10 minutes

flyboi posted:

Nope you can't boot into Gateway emunand unless you have a Gateway cartridge

Basically all current Homebrew CFWs support Gateway Emunands

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Fuzz posted:

CatSFC.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

HenryEx posted:

Get this:
http://gbatemp.net/threads/release-emunand9tool-open-source-emunand-formatter-manager.405921/

Put your emunand backup on the root of your SD card, name it EmuNAND.bin

Start EmuNAND9 and choose "Clone EmuNAND.bin to EmuNAND"

Wait ca. 10 minutes

Basically all current Homebrew CFWs support Gateway Emunands

Cool thank you. Is the EMUNAND backup the one in the EMUNAND folder or the one that's already sitting there on the sd? I think I messed up and it auto backed up the one that was on the folder (which is like...20 mbs) versus the one in the folder which is ~1 gig?

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
If I wanted to undo all of the cfw stuff, would Updating my 3ds bring it all back to normal?

E: man it's annoying every time the game asks me if it wants to update.

NerdsMcGee
Sep 23, 2006
My hands are too stained...
If you would like to use ReiNand 3.0, you can update N3DS to 10.3 Emunand.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I did something weird to my 3DS; I formatted EMUNAND then backed up EMUNAND but none of my CIAS are there, games or apps.

It's so weird.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

NerdsMcGee posted:

If you would like to use ReiNand 3.0, you can update N3DS to 10.3 Emunand.

How would I go about that? I heard that there was a foolproof way to not brick but never followed up on it.

LunaDeus
Jul 5, 2014

Dizz posted:

If I wanted to undo all of the cfw stuff, would Updating my 3ds bring it all back to normal?

E: man it's annoying every time the game asks me if it wants to update.

If thats what you want, just do a system update while in sysnand, then reformat the SD card.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Don't do the system update now; 10.4 just came out

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

So apparently 10.4 does not require all games to update before launching them; just Ironfall.

I still haven't decided whether or not to jump down the downgrading rabbit hole so I'll just ask if they fixed themehax.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Color Printer posted:

So apparently 10.4 does not require all games to update before launching them; just Ironfall.

I still haven't decided whether or not to jump down the downgrading rabbit hole so I'll just ask if they fixed themehax.

Oh god Nintendo why are you doing this you idiots. They tried this with Twilight Princes on Wii when that was an entrypoint to HBC.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

flyboi posted:

Oh god Nintendo why are you doing this you idiots. They tried this with Twilight Princes on Wii when that was an entrypoint to HBC.

Lmfao I was thinking of that exact "fix" they did. This poo poo is definitely not new

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

For anyone wondering about updating their emuNAND, apparently from initial reports ReiNAND and CakesFW work fine on 10.4, rxTools works fine on 10.4 but only for O3DS, Gateway sort of works but the multirom menu is broken and NTR and plugins associated with it, including region free don't work.

I'd still wait until more testing has been done though, just because it seems fine initially doesn't mean there aren't other problems that aren't as obvious.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

How often does Nintendo update? I'd like to maybe get to 10.3/10.4 EmuNAND someday but not when 10.5 comes out before that.

I just want to be able to recover my stufflike badges, games, and saves.

Can I relink my NNID to this without any issues?

Robert Red Rocket
Apr 28, 2013

CHEATED ON HIS WIFE, SLEPT WITH PROSTITUTES ON FBI TAPES, JACQUELINE KENNEDY SAID MLK WAS TAPE-RECORDED BY FBI PLANNING A SEX PARTY
So is downgrading from 10.4 to 9.2 possible?

Edit: apparently it may not be possible, so if I have not updated my new3ds yet I can still downgrade via browserhax right?

Robert Red Rocket fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Jan 19, 2016

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Dizz posted:

How often does Nintendo update? I'd like to maybe get to 10.3/10.4 EmuNAND someday but not when 10.5 comes out before that.

I just want to be able to recover my stufflike badges, games, and saves.

Can I relink my NNID to this without any issues?

Fairly rarely. One every couple of months or thereabouts. Usually really not an issue if you've already set up emuNAND.

Seriously just link your NNID on emuNAND, which you can generally keep up to date no problem and you're set. It's just like having a normal console, except you have access to CIA installations (read: homebrew, "backups", themes, emulation, etc).

Downgrading is apparently impossible on 10.4 however so do that now. It's really super safe.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Did they manage to disable browserhax on older firmwares like people were speculating they would?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

sharktamer posted:

Did they manage to disable browserhax on older firmwares like people were speculating they would?

I don't really see how such a thing would be possible, beyond forcing the browser to require a firmware update. If you block nintendo's servers in the DNS you can still retain browserhax long enough to install another entrypoint on 10.4.

The question's pretty academic though. Nobody should update to 10.4 sysNAND. They should instead downgrade to 9.2 sysNAND if they're not there already, install a custom firmware and update to 10.4 on emuNAND where you can simply install a .cia to access the homebrew menu and not have to worry about other entrypoints at all.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Yep, my friend wanted me to set up her 3DS. Only entrypoint I'd have available is browserhax, wanted to make sure the horror stories weren't true.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

sharktamer posted:

Yep, my friend wanted me to set up her 3DS. Only entrypoint I'd have available is browserhax, wanted to make sure the horror stories weren't true.

If you're on 9.9 or 10.0 iirc you need to gently caress with DNS settings before launching the browser in order to avoid an inescapable update nag, so check on GBAtemp before you do anything. 9.8 and below and you should be fine though.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

The Iron Rose posted:

If you're on 9.9 or 10.0 iirc you need to gently caress with DNS settings before launching the browser in order to avoid an inescapable update nag, so check on GBAtemp before you do anything. 9.8 and below and you should be fine though.

On a n3DS you can do it even if you have gotten the update nag before.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

Andrast posted:

On a n3DS you can do it even if you have gotten the update nag before.

Yeah but you have like 20 seconds to do it in and that's just a huge pain.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
So once you see this nag it will never go away? It's a bit worrying having to mess with DNS since I've heard that's what causes softbricks due to blocking the system restore after the downgrade fails.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

sharktamer posted:

So once you see this nag it will never go away? It's a bit worrying having to mess with DNS since I've heard that's what causes softbricks due to blocking the system restore after the downgrade fails.

You only need the DNS if you're between 9.9 and 10.1 (or whatever it is) on an o3DS, and even then you can remove it once you install menuhax, and you can't brick your 3DS doing that. And even then I thiiiiiink you can edit DNS settings in system restore. Certainly there's no harm done if you block nintendo's servers router-side.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

The Iron Rose posted:

Fairly rarely. One every couple of months or thereabouts. Usually really not an issue if you've already set up emuNAND.

Seriously just link your NNID on emuNAND, which you can generally keep up to date no problem and you're set. It's just like having a normal console, except you have access to CIA installations (read: homebrew, "backups", themes, emulation, etc).

Downgrading is apparently impossible on 10.4 however so do that now. It's really super safe.

How easy is it to relink NNID on emuNAND? I'd have to update to 10.4 first, right?

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

KoldPT posted:

How easy is it to relink NNID on emuNAND? I'd have to update to 10.4 first, right?

Pretty simple. Once you've set up your emuNAND you need to format your sysNAND, format your emuNAND, then relink your NNID on emuNAND.

You'd need to update to 10.4, which if you're on emuNAND is no problem (unless you want to use NTR to play out of region DLC as that's not compatible yet, though it should be in a day or two). If you're on a n3DS you need to use the reinand CFW in order to use 9.5+ firmware versions rather than rxtools, as the latter isn't updated to support 9.5+ firmware on the n3DS yet, which should happen in the next few weeks. In that case you have to go through a moderately onerous process to enable eshop (and thus NNID) access on 9.5 emuNAND. There's a tutorial for that on gbatemp too.

Simon The Digger
Dec 23, 2010

Some Kind of Magical Idiot
I have a copy of Cubic Ninja, is even that useless in the face of this new update?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

The Iron Rose posted:

Pretty simple. Once you've set up your emuNAND you need to format your sysNAND, format your emuNAND, then relink your NNID on emuNAND.

You'd need to update to 10.4, which if you're on emuNAND is no problem (unless you want to use NTR to play out of region DLC as that's not compatible yet, though it should be in a day or two). If you're on a n3DS you need to use the reinand CFW in order to use 9.5+ firmware versions rather than rxtools, as the latter isn't updated to support 9.5+ firmware on the n3DS yet, which should happen in the next few weeks. In that case you have to go through a moderately onerous process to enable eshop (and thus NNID) access on 9.5 emuNAND. There's a tutorial for that on gbatemp too.

Or you could just not bother with the silly unlinking stuff, keep them linked and save yourself the hassle

Simon The Digger posted:

I have a copy of Cubic Ninja, is even that useless in the face of this new update?

Cubic Ninja will always prevail.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
So to be sure, what does someone with a 10.3 O3DS do now to ensure they can start the downgrade process in the next week or so? It'a a 3DS which I can't get my hands on to start until then.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

So if I didn't update my 3DS, could I still set up OOThax and use that?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

sharktamer posted:

So to be sure, what does someone with a 10.3 O3DS do now to ensure they can start the downgrade process in the next week or so? It'a a 3DS which I can't get my hands on to start until then.

1. Get an update package for O3DS firmware 9.2 from some shady website
2. You should probably have a 8GB+ SD card at the ready, if that's not already the case
3. Get a boot manager (either CTR Boot Manager or BootCTR), read up on how to set them up, you'll need it
4. Get a custom firmware, like CakesFW, you'll want to automatically boot into that with the boot manager after downgrading. (You'll have to download the firmware this uses directly from Nintendo, and as of the latest update the used firmware is slightly outdated, so it's liable to be removed from the update servers in the near future. You should probably download these two files asap and store them somewhere safe.)
5. Get EmuNAND9 to later easily format your SD for emunand and set everything up. You'll also want this accessible from your boot manager later.
6. There's a SafeSysUpdater in development with the maximum amount of safe guards so hopefully nothing goes wrong during the downgrade process. Even checks your update file hashes to make sure they're not damaged. Get that.
7. Before actually starting to downgrade, remove the Tubehax DNS if you have it set up. Also, if you have Menuhax set up, remove it (just change to another theme real quick). Otherwise, the console won't boot after the downgrade (cuz the hax expects another firmware version).
8. Donate to your preferred local faith for good luck.

edit: duh, linked the wrong two firmware files earlier. I corrected the link.

HenryEx fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jan 19, 2016

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Junpei Hyde posted:

So if I didn't update my 3DS, could I still set up OOThax and use that?

Yes.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
No no, I know how to do all that myself. The owner of the 3DS is too scared/lazy/dumb to do that so I'm going to do it for her. What should she do with it between now and until I get my hands on it to make sure we can still downgrade and stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

sharktamer posted:

No no, I know how to do all that myself. The owner of the 3DS is too scared/lazy/dumb to do that so I'm going to do it for her. What should she do with it between now and until I get my hands on it to make sure we can still downgrade and stuff?

Disable the internet (and use the tubehax DNS to make sure) and do not open the browser.

• Locked thread