Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Zain posted:

I can only assume Raziel seeing himself was another paradox since it did that same wobbly thing.

That was actually added for drama, you can notice that the wobbly thing only went in one direction, it wasn't pulsating, so it wasn't a paradox.
Sometimes I fail to notice how the game can make something unclear because I'm too dumb to notice the thing that makes it unclear :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

Alexeythegreat posted:

That was actually added for drama, you can notice that the wobbly thing only went in one direction, it wasn't pulsating, so it wasn't a paradox.
Sometimes I fail to notice how the game can make something unclear because I'm too dumb to notice the thing that makes it unclear :v:

Eh it's okay~ Just sometimes they use the same effect for different occurrences so it's just weird.

Molly Millions
Jan 27, 2011

It's not like bullshit, more like poetry.
I forgot what a sausagefest this game is. I remember wanting to see more Ariel when I was a kid, since I felt bad for her and her design was cool. Giving Raziel a ghost sidekick would have made the game feel a lot less lonely, but I guess that was kind of what they were going for, since he's a one-of-a-kind man out of time and the whole universe is trying to destroy him.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
That's a really cool idea, actually.

I never actually noticed that the shot of him with the fire reaver was fulfilling the SR1 prophecy, but that's because I didn't finish SR1 when I played it on Dreamcast.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

I thought that wasn't supposed to happen since that wasn't the ordained future. That's kinda where I get confused with time paradoxes and all that.

Sel Nar
Dec 19, 2013

Zain posted:

I thought that wasn't supposed to happen since that wasn't the ordained future. That's kinda where I get confused with time paradoxes and all that.

The biggest credit I can give to the SR writing team and Amy Hennig in particular is that they managed to sit down with a time travel plot and not only made it not-stupid, but they made it internally consistent so there's no actual plotholes or moments that pull you out of the tapestry they wove.

The superlative voicework only adds to that; Between Simon Templeman, Michael Bell, and Tony Jay, you pretty much have the Who's who of voicework for the time these games came out, and the (then-new) concept of having them recording in the same room together so they could play off of one another not only deepened the impact of their lines through the improved context, but also created some drat funny outtakes which can easily be found on youtube. (I'm not linking them because they're spoilers for 2 and Defiance)

Delta Green
Nov 2, 2012

Sel Nar posted:

The biggest credit I can give to the SR writing team and Amy Hennig in particular is that they managed to sit down with a time travel plot and not only made it not-stupid, but they made it internally consistent so there's no actual plotholes or moments that pull you out of the tapestry they wove.

The superlative voicework only adds to that; Between Simon Templeman, Michael Bell, and Tony Jay, you pretty much have the Who's who of voicework for the time these games came out, and the (then-new) concept of having them recording in the same room together so they could play off of one another not only deepened the impact of their lines through the improved context, but also created some drat funny outtakes which can easily be found on youtube. (I'm not linking them because they're spoilers for 2 and Defiance)

You don't really play LoK games for the gameplay (though it is nice). You play them for the story and the incredible voice-acting.

Seriously, all the actors were putting their all into their roles, and it shows.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Delta Green posted:

You don't really play LoK games for the gameplay (though it is nice). You play them for the story and the incredible voice-acting.

Seriously, all the actors were putting their all into their roles, and it shows.

This is why I dread the moment when I get into BO2 and will not miss an opportunity to stall for a bit

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

I am shocked and appalled.

Alexeythegreat posted:

This is why I dread the moment when I get into BO2 and will not miss an opportunity to stall for a bit

You gotta do it like a Band-Aid man, get it over with as fast as possible.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

DukeofCA posted:

You gotta do it like a Band-Aid man, get it over with as fast as possible.

The golden rule is "Don't LP the games you don't like". We will find out in a couple of months (I will be taking a break from LoK before BO2) what happens when I break this rule.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

Alexeythegreat posted:

The golden rule is "Don't LP the games you don't like". We will find out in a couple of months (I will be taking a break from LoK before BO2) what happens when I break this rule.

Ehh, it's more of a rule of thumb, and like all of these, it exists to be broken. Some of my favourite LPs are of games the LPer positively LOATHED. It's all a question of approach.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
I think the golden rule is there because some people dont have the willpower to force themselves to play bad games.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Well, I'm honestly not sure if I'll have the willpower to do post-commentary, as that requires me to basically sit through the game no less than three times (practice run, recording, commentary).
I am considering doing the commentary live. Or drunk. Or both. Or maybe I'll think about it later.
Actually, I will think about it later, right now I have recorded SR2 to complete. I have already recorded the entire game, but the commentary isn't done yet :v:

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Alexeythegreat posted:

I'd say don't LP games you don't like solo. There can be much fun had LPing games you don't like with someone else.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Zain posted:

I'd say don't LP games you don't like solo. There can be much fun had LPing games you don't like with someone else.

The plan: drunk live co-commentary. What could go wrong?..

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Alexeythegreat posted:

The plan: drunk live co-commentary. What could go wrong?..

Nothing worse than what's already gone wrong in BO2 am I right?

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Zain posted:

Nothing worse than what's already gone wrong in BO2 am I right?

Not necessarily. It did do some things right. I remember yourself actually mentioning in one of the older threads that it's a good game in its own right: it is (at least until the underwhelming endgame grindfest). The problem is that it's supposed to be a LoK game, meaning that it should have writing, which it does not.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

I can't remember much of BO2 myself, other than the gameplay starting off pretty strong and then quickly wearing out its welcome to the point by the end of the game, I just wanted it over with.

Also regarding that SR1 prophecy fulfillment shot and spoilers for SR1 cut content: Wasn't that shot showing Raziel with the Kain/Amplified Reaver and not the Fire Reaver? I guess in the original timeline before the paradox changed things, Raziel killed Kain and went to the future only to find out nothing had changed, went to the past to find Janos to find out why nothing had changed and the same general events of SR 2 took place anyway.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I can't remember much of BO2 myself, other than the gameplay starting off pretty strong and then quickly wearing out its welcome to the point by the end of the game, I just wanted it over with.

Also regarding that SR1 prophecy fulfillment shot and spoilers for SR1 cut content: Wasn't that shot showing Raziel with the Kain/Amplified Reaver and not the Fire Reaver? I guess in the original timeline before the paradox changed things, Raziel killed Kain and went to the future only to find out nothing had changed, went to the past to find Janos to find out why nothing had changed and the same general events of SR 2 took place anyway.

SR1 cut content is not subject to spoilers, because it never happened :v: I only issued the warning with respect to the "what did we end up with" sections in these videos, which spoil SR2 and Defiance.
It was the Amplified Reaver in the SR1 cutscene, yes. However, that's how it was planned to be for Soul Reaver, and we would have never known that this is the Amplified Reaver if not for the debug menu. Lore-wise, it was just Raziel seeing himself in some unspecified time in some unspecified place with the Wraith Blade that is for some reason now bright orange. Every single SR1 endgame FMV that isn't a retell of SR's own story gets later addressed in Defiance in a slightly altered manner. The specific alterations (which are spoilage, because literally all of it is revealed in late Defiance) are the result of the paradoxes, yes, but that's the thing with history in LoK - it reshuffles events to accomodate disruptions, but it strives to keep everything the same.

I'm also not sure whether the original plans for the sequel would have the same general events that are in the SR2 that we have. I know that Raziel was meant to realize "Okay, now what? Nothing happened..." and then we would do the sequel, but I don't know what plans there were for the sequel back then, if any.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

What attacks you if you try to move through the area in the spectral realm?

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Xoidanor posted:

What attacks you if you try to move through the area in the spectral realm?

Demons. They exist in both realms simultaneously

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

Alexeythegreat posted:

Not necessarily. It did do some things right. I remember yourself actually mentioning in one of the older threads that it's a good game in its own right: it is (at least until the underwhelming endgame grindfest). The problem is that it's supposed to be a LoK game, meaning that it should have writing, which it does not.

Yeah I do actually enjoy BO2, but yeah the writing isn't really as compelling and it's fairly linear. But the other parts of the game were really enjoyable. It's like the opposite of the other LoK games where the gameplay isn't really the best but the story is where it shines. The gameplay is more where this game shines and the story isn't the best.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
It feels more like a God of War game in terms of story and setting.

KeiraWalker
Sep 5, 2011

Me? Don't worry about me...
Grimey Drawer
The one time I tried to play it, it wasn't really cooperating with me. Might run better on my PC than my laptop, though. I don't know. Maybe I'll give it a try after I'm done with Defiance, for posterity's sake.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Demons freaked me out when I played the game for the first time so many years ago. Their dialogue, especially.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Edit: I hope no clicked this fast enough

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Aww, it's really too bad you were sent to the shadow realm :( At least there's always a few stray card gamers to feed on there.

But yeah, looks like a super hard challenge, can't wait to see you do it!

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I did it by accident in the practice run
Then I did it on camera, but the footage got corrupted because I forgot to press the "Stop recording" button upon quitting the game
Then this happened
I was quite pissed
At least I had the sense to save right after activating the Fire forge, so I won't have to re-activate it every time :v:

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Alexeythegreat posted:

I did it by accident in the practice run
Then I did it on camera, but the footage got corrupted because I forgot to press the "Stop recording" button upon quitting the game
Then this happened
I was quite pissed
At least I had the sense to save right after activating the Fire forge, so I won't have to re-activate it every time :v:

At least this means you know you can do this, which helps to do it again.

inscrutable horse
May 20, 2010

Parsing sage, rotating time

I, for one, also really liked Janos Audron's Fortress of Solitude. It felt calm, even serene, thanks to the understated soundtrack. In general, I really love all the effort that they put into the audio of this game: Fantastic VA, great soundtrack, and that too-cool-for-school ghostly chorus whenever you open a Reaver door!

Oh, and since you're collecting pronounciation corrections, gauge rhymes with page :)

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

inscrutable horse posted:

I, for one, also really liked Janos Audron's Fortress of Solitude. It felt calm, even serene, thanks to the understated soundtrack. In general, I really love all the effort that they put into the audio of this game: Fantastic VA, great soundtrack, and that too-cool-for-school ghostly chorus whenever you open a Reaver door!

Oh, and since you're collecting pronounciation corrections, gauge rhymes with page :)

There's actually a reason why it's understated: you can only appreciate it if the puzzle is solved on autopilot, which isn't really possible there, especially on the third floor. It took me half an hour to solve the entire thing the first time around, then even as I was recording the same day I was getting confused at some moments, and then when I was looking at the footage on the next day I couldn't for the life of me figure out what the hell was I doing at every given moment. The player's mind is generally focused on things other than the music.

Also, thanks :v:

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

inscrutable horse posted:

and that too-cool-for-school ghostly chorus whenever you open a Reaver door!

You mean the bit they lifted directly from Ligeti's "Requiem?"

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

That's where it is from?
Now I will have to listen through the entire thing to find the exact spot!

SorataYuy
Jul 17, 2014

That... didn't even make sense.
I'm catching up to the thread, just hit video 5 a few minutes ago. Having a good time with this ride, LoK has always been one of my favorite series, so thanks, Alexey! :)

(And just a little thing: It's "Tur-koys", not "tur-kwahz". Or even "Tur-kwoys", but definitely no "ah" sound in there.)

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

I am shocked and appalled.

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

THANK you. I knew that was from somewhere and it was driving me nuts.

Molly Millions
Jan 27, 2011

It's not like bullshit, more like poetry.
I want to apologize on behalf of the entire anglosphere for our language having the words gauge and turquoise in it, but it's probably payback for making such a simple and common word as здравствуйте so goddamn hard to spell.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
I should assemble the list of words I pronounce incorrectly and put it in the OP for the history :v:

Molly Millions posted:

I want to apologize on behalf of the entire anglosphere for our language having the words gauge and turquoise in it, but it's probably payback for making such a simple and common word as здравствуйте so goddamn hard to spell.

Russian consonant clusters are much harder to comprehend than any English word, because you can never know in advance whether the problem of "how the hell do I pronounce all these sounds at once" is solved by making one of the sounds silent, and when - by a random unwritten schwa :v: The cluster in здравствуйте is pronounced with a silend "в", and in fast speech it usually just turns into a one long "s" sound

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Molly Millions posted:

"Turquoise" is actually French's fault. So is about a third of English's vocabulary, for that matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

Grimey Drawer
...and I inconveniently happened to speak French

• Locked thread