Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012
putting your lantern on a hotkey is gamechanging

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Picayune
Feb 26, 2007

cannot be unseen
Taco Defender

Dezztroy posted:

putting your lantern on a hotkey is gamechanging

Seriously. I'm playing with an XBox controller and I still have the keyboard out just so that I can go 'gently caress you--gently caress you' when I get drenched.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Yo thread can I get melee lifesteal in this game and if so what do I gotta do? And is being skinny better if I wanna attack faster?

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Hey I fought a griffon and it was one of the best moments in my entire gaming life. That was just the coolest god drat set piece.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

nopantsjack posted:

Yo thread can I get melee lifesteal in this game and if so what do I gotta do? And is being skinny better if I wanna attack faster?

Not really. Holy enchanted weapons (whether permanently, or buffed) will occasionally siphon off some health, but it is more of a health than life steal. Game isn't a diablo aRPG.

Weight doesn't have any influence over attack speed. Light weights regen stamina more quickly, so if you want to recover more quickly from burning stamina it is an option, only a very marginal one. Stamina regen is near constant, so once you get to the point where you have thousands of stamina it can take a long time to regen, even for super lightweights.
If you want faster attacks, I believe Assassin's gale harness ability will make you faster all around for about 40 seconds.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Every game with big monsters should try to copy the grabbing system here. (I hope that in the future, DG 2 expands this and adds more options for grappling with smaller enemies too).

The one thing I dislike about the combat is that Dodge is a skill instead of having a button for every class and improving it with skills (Give sorcerers a small teleport, assassins some kind of bloodborne dodge, etc.).

Oh, and this is how you do wizards spells

Miss Mowcher fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Jan 17, 2016

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

cheesetriangles posted:

Hey I fought a griffon and it was one of the best moments in my entire gaming life. That was just the coolest god drat set piece.

There is even more to that encounter, too!

-You can kill it when you first encounter it, avoiding the entire trip to Bluemoon.
-Steffen, an NPC who tends to hang out just outside/behind the gran soren Inn can show up and help fight at Bluemoon if you finish his quest beforehand.
-Steffen... might not be very helpful depending on how you resolved his quest, but is a funny little novelty just the same.

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

Could one of you nice people add me to the steam group, please. You'll get to use my incredible Nerdbait mage Leia Organa.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/olewithmilk

Edit:

Think I'm getting the hang of this:

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

ZZZorcerer posted:

The one thing I dislike about the combat is that Dodge is a skill instead of having a button for every class and improving it with skills (Give sorcerers a small teleport, assassins some kind of bloodborne dodge, etc.).
I dunno. I find some of the balance to work out pretty well.

One of the problems with games like Souls is that because every single build possible can dodge, armor is rendered nearly irrelevant, and often a liability. It is nearly pointless to try and tank up, making most builds feel nearly identical. I love it to hell, but DD is not that game, and while not necessarily better than Souls for it, it is better for being different.

Meanwhile, in dragon's dogma not every class has the same quality of avoiding damage. You can actually build a character specifically around (selectively) face tanking hits. Even on hardmode with its crazy 450% incoming damage (player only).

It's all about playstyle. While you are recommending a unique type of avoidance option for each class/category, I feel like it is already there.
Yellow (dagger) classes can flip hop and dance around enemies, but find themselves in tight spots :hurr: when they don't have room to maneuver.
Fighter/MK can hold their position and use terrain to funnel or choke NPCs, but can be flanked in open spaces.
Warrior can actively mitigate hits by stacking defensive skills in order to trade hits with it's gently caress huge charge attacks.
Blues are lacking, but as a result they have to employ a strategy of mitigating by just staying he hell away from things. It isn't the visceral action of other classes, but that's part of the distinction.

Virtually every single class DOES have ways of actively mitigating/avoiding damage, save pure blues (Mage/Sorcerer) and they're not supposed to be 'direct' combat classes, so I think it works.

Kiggles fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Jan 17, 2016

Man Whore
Jan 6, 2012

ASK ME ABOUT SPHERICAL CATS
=3

Olewithmilk posted:

Think I'm getting the hang of this:

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
I don't get how to figure out what to do next in this game.

I just got to Gran Soren and I picked up a bunch of quests, and I tried to go down to the dungeon in the basement of the Pawn inn, and got hosed wrecked by 80000 skeletons, so I guess not that. Is there any indication of what quests you should do for story progress/what's level-appropriate for where you're at?

e: I just bought and equipped boots and now I have no pants what the gently caress is up with this game

abraham linksys fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jan 17, 2016

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

...poo poo

i'm so hosed

Thumbtacks fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Jan 17, 2016

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
I think I just murdered the gently caress out of a one and a half story tall redditor sexist troll.

It started making these horrible ape noises while...gently caress, I don't even know, man. Jumping up and down and humping the air when it saw her? One of the other pawns I hired warned me that this monster "hungers for women" moments before it dashed forwards and grabbed my pawn, picked her up and held her close to its chest, and ran away at top speed.

Cue the remaining pawn and I just standing there facing each other (With what I can only assume was a "what the gently caress?" look on our faces.) for a few moments before we took off at top speed after the thing to save my poor pawn from being eaten. Or raped. I don't even want to think about why a NPC would be programmed to do that.

I was ready though. We chased it down right as it was about to stuff her in its mouth, breaking its grip on on her circa a slew of explosive arrows. After we beat the poo poo out of the MRA troll for being a creepy fucker it went for my poor sorcerer again. This time I jumped in front of it and parried as it went for the grab. Which prompted me to teleport onto the back of it's head and slice it's throat in glorious slow-mo.

So fares all patriarchal oppressors. GOTY. :black101:

Edit: If it isn't obvious from my post, this comparison is actually pretty spot on.

Thursday Next posted:

Dark Souls be all serious, studying every night and making the bed with squared away corners every morning. Dark Souls is the captain of the lacrosse team, and thinks there's plenty of time for sex after he gets into Dad's alma mater. Dragon's Dogma watches the sun come up the day before the SAT because it just dropped acid for the first time with a Mexican hooker and a one-eyed bartender named Snake. Dragon's Dogma disappears into the woods every few months with nothing but a knife and a flint, and comes back with stories of meeting the devil.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Jan 17, 2016

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Archonex posted:

'tis a skilled skeleton, indeed.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

this princess armor that you have in the inn looks insanely powerful but also loving terrible and it won't let me wear the cool looking armor because it's for dude characters only

this game seems real bullshit

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Oh hey, someone modded the PS3 button icons in. Useful for those of us that are using a Dualshock 4.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

abraham linksys posted:

I don't get how to figure out what to do next in this game.

I just got to Gran Soren and I picked up a bunch of quests, and I tried to go down to the dungeon in the basement of the Pawn inn, and got hosed wrecked by 80000 skeletons, so I guess not that. Is there any indication of what quests you should do for story progress/what's level-appropriate for where you're at?

That is, actually, what you're supposed to do. It's just a difficulty plateau. Mess around with different character classes. Get some levels. Upgrade gear. Better yet, learn new skills, and put some thought into your 'build' (skill loadout).

Depending on your class you have some options. Skeletons in particular are hugely weak to blunt damage. Fighter? Set Cymbal Attack, and beat them to death. Change to MK? Get the Mace. Mage/Sorcerer? Holy Affinity. Warrior? Good luck. Go hire a mage with Holy Affinity. Strider/Ranger/Assassin? Their Light attack combo can transition into kicks if you buy the core skill upgrade, and delay your button press after the first attack. These will deal blunt damage and should tear up the skeletons.

Naturally, that's not all you will encounter. There are some undead/undead warriors in there as well. Slashing works well on the regular undead. Fighter/Warrior probably has this covered. MK, get Flame Counter or the flame weapon party buff, although holy is similarly effective. Mage/Sorc, same deal, but can buy a permanently flame enchanted staff (mage) or fall back on spells like ingle. All classes can also just pick up any undead that are on the ground and simply throw them off the edge, so for Fighter, try Tusk Toss, if not just burst strike to get them on the ground, then... put them back on the ground waaaaay below.

They're just upping the difficulty so you have to think about the numbers game, rather than play strictly as an action game. You have access to all of the game's basic features right there in gran soren so they're asking you to try and make use of everything at your disposal, and above all, use your head. Even if that boils down to nothing more than grinding for levels. Find something that works for you.

Kiggles fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Jan 17, 2016

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So it's Holy Boon for spooky enemies and Fire for everything else right? Feels kind of pointless having all of them on my mage since he defaults to Fire.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

Archonex posted:

I think I just murdered the gently caress out of a one and a half story tall redditor sexist troll.

It started making these horrible ape noises while...gently caress, I don't even know, man. Jumping up and down and humping the air when it saw her? One of the other pawns I hired warned me that this monster "hungers for women" moments before it dashed forwards and grabbed my pawn, picked her up and held her close to its chest, and ran away at top speed.

Cue the remaining pawn and I just standing there facing each other (With what I can only assume was a "what the gently caress?" look on our faces.) for a few moments before we took off at top speed after the thing to save my poor pawn from being eaten. Or raped. I don't even want to think about why a NPC would be programmed to do that.

I was ready though. We chased it down right as it was about to stuff her in its mouth, breaking its grip on on her circa a slew of explosive arrows. After we beat the poo poo out of the MRA troll for being a creepy fucker it went for my poor sorcerer again. This time I jumped in front of it and parried as it went for the grab. Which prompted me to teleport onto the back of it's head and slice it's throat in glorious slow-mo.

Edit: If it isn't obvious from my post, this comparison is actually pretty spot on.

Excuse me they prefer to be called ogres.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Robo Reagan posted:

So it's Holy Boon for spooky enemies and Fire for everything else right? Feels kind of pointless having all of them on my mage since he defaults to Fire.

Ice is also pretty good. Apparently the bigger hobgoblins and even cyclopses are somewhat vulnerable to it, and it completely destroys lizardmen. I've got both Ice and Holy Boon on my main pawn, and she's usually pretty good about picking the right one for the situation.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

Kiggles posted:

They're just upping the difficulty so you have to think about the numbers game, rather than play strictly as an action game. You have access to all of the game's basic features right there in gran soren so they're asking you to try and make use of everything at your disposal, and above all, use your head. Even if that boils down to nothing more than grinding for levels. Find something that works for you.

I don't even know where I'd go to grind a bunch. Should I go exploring the overworld?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

You should just give up

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
Anyone have a 20-25-ish healbot I can hire? I'm outleveling my current mage hire You.

abraham linksys posted:

e: I just bought and equipped boots and now I have no pants what the gently caress is up with this game

You have two slots for upper/lower body - clothing and armor. The two can be worn at the same time, and various types will cover more or less of you.

e: oops, almost forgot to upload:

Magus42 fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Jan 17, 2016

Orv
May 4, 2011
Oh right, gargoyles, the monster they made while the game designers were on holiday.

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die
Browsing the art book is a pretty bittersweet affair.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

abraham linksys posted:

I don't even know where I'd go to grind a bunch. Should I go exploring the overworld?

There are undead that pop up all over right outside grant soren at night. Should be ok XP/discipline. Otherwise you could check quest boards. cassardis, encampment, four in grant soren; on at the inn, one around the town square pub, and two in the pawn guild. Just check any that seem quick and easy. Most tend to be grab and forget, but others you can focus on.

For money, its quests or kill the ox outside grand soren . sell the meat when it sours in a day or two. Otherwise, more quest payout pretty well early on.

Tactics will carry you a lot farther the. So use these to maybe try a quick build and see if your idea might/might not work.

Pumpkinreaper
Jan 19, 2010

Alright, which one of you made this?

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

mirarant posted:

Browsing the art book is a pretty bittersweet affair.

yeah, yeah it is
there is so much unused stuff- the giant, GIANT enemies look incredible
itsuno wasn't lying when he said only 30% of the game's ideas actually made it into the final game

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Golems are pretty fun to fight.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Pumpkinreaper posted:

Alright, which one of you made this?

Little pawns are good because you can huck em really far, problem is your big burly pawns won't huck you at a cyclopses face if you decide to be a little boy which frankly sucks the fun out of childhood.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Motherfucker posted:

Little pawns are good because you can huck em really far, problem is your big burly pawns won't huck you at a cyclopses face if you decide to be a little boy which frankly sucks the fun out of childhood.

The shield leap ability really should have been some kind of activated thing for pawns or at the very least not completely terrible

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Kiggles posted:

There are undead that pop up all over right outside grant soren at night. Should be ok XP/discipline. Otherwise you could check quest boards. cassardis, encampment, four in grant soren; on at the inn, one around the town square pub, and two in the pawn guild. Just check any that seem quick and easy. Most tend to be grab and forget, but others you can focus on.

For money, its quests or kill the ox outside grand soren . sell the meat when it sours in a day or two. Otherwise, more quest payout pretty well early on.

Tactics will carry you a lot farther the. So use these to maybe try a quick build and see if your idea might/might not work.

or get to ~20 and restart on Hard Mode. Now money isn't an issue and you're playing Dark Souls Lite

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
This game cries out for cooperative multiplayer

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Capcom can't be trusted with multiplayer given their plans for Dragons Dogma Online imo. Cash shop city

Does crafting make anything that's actually worthwhile? So far the only things I've made that I actually use are Dessicated Herbs and Skeleton Keys. I never cared for special arrows and crap like that in games, especially when the menu is as clunky as it is in this game.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!

Motherfucker posted:

This game cries out for cooperative multiplayer

I would play a "trickster" class more. Oil Grenades, traps, flash grenades, pocket sand, crossbow and knives.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I'm having a blast with this.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who ended up riding the ox to Gran Soren

Flumpus
Jul 22, 2007
Well, I didn't think I was going to buy this game, but this thread convinced me I should...

Could someone please shoot me an invite to the group? Thanks!

http://steamcommunity.com/id/flumpus/

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Random Hajile posted:

Oh hey, someone modded the PS3 button icons in. Useful for those of us that are using a Dualshock 4.

Just wanna take some time out of my day to lol at how poo poo this dude made his game look

"It doesn't look like headache-inducing crap! It's more ~cinematic~ this way!"

"No it's artistic, you wouldn't understand!"

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
Ahaha. Okay. I have some goons on my friends list so i'm going to ask here:

Is it possible to reward large numbers of items to a pawn? And if so, which one of you fuckers rewarded my pawn with sixty skulls? :v:

It took me like four hours to figure out why the gently caress I was so overloaded. Turns out that in the process of shifting inventories I somehow ended up with sixty goddamn skulls sitting in my pack like I was some sort of medieval Khornate berserker. There's no way I got them myself since neither I nor my pawn ever picked them up that early in the game.

Meanwhile I was trying to do my Ring of Perserverance run at level 15 and frantically switching between tossing poo poo out to keep my weight down while running from some of the nastier enemies in Bitterblack. I almost thought there was a hidden debuff on me or something for awhile. :allears:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jan 17, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Archonex posted:

Ahaha. Okay. I have some goons on my friends list so i'm going to ask here:

Is it possible to reward large numbers of items to a pawn? And if so, which one of you fuckers rewarded my pawn with sixty skulls? :v:

It took me like four hours to figure out why the gently caress I was so overloaded. Turns out that in the process of shifting inventories I somehow ended up with sixty goddamn skulls sitting in my pack like I was some sort of medieval Khornate berserker. There's no way I got them myself, since neither I nor my pawn ever picked them up that early in the game.

Meanwhile I was trying to do my Ring of Perserverance run at level 15 and frantically switching between tossing poo poo out to keep my weight down while running from some of the nastier enemies in Bitterblack. I almost thought there was a hidden debuff on me or something for awhile. loving masterstroke either way. :allears:

Is your Pawn Jenny the Archer?