Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StoryTime
Feb 26, 2010

Now listen to me children and I'll tell you of the legend of the Ninja

Roland Jones posted:

I might be wrong here actually; I know storming takes place in a later phase, but the turn order chart I've seen is unclear as to whether breaking a siege happens in that phase or the movement one.

IRC is leaning towards the latter though there's been a bit of confusion there too. It's probably movement though, so they would meet up with people moving in from outside, come to think of it.

I was gifted this game recently, so I was reading the manual (I know) to figure out what has changed since Dom 2. For what it's worth, the manual explicitly combines Break Siege into normal non-friendly movement.

Dominions 4 Manual posted:

21. Friendly movement
All movement ending in a friendly province takes place now. If you are trying to get to a friendly province before an enemy does, you will do it if you are not stopped by an event that takes place in steps 1 through 11.
22. Other movement
All other movement, including Break Siege, takes place.
23. Resolve battles
All battle resolution from movement happens here.
24. Castle storming
Castles are stormed and battles resolved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

the way interpreted that bit was that the actual battle happens at 23, once everything has already moved

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah, that's how that will happen. Breaking sieges combines with movement battles, and then if they aren't knocked off and planned to storm the fort that turn they'll storm after that battle.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Break siege plus friendly movement equals combined forces.

Chairman Pow!
Apr 23, 2010
Thanks everyone for the advice, I successfully broke the siege using combined forces! I also realized I misunderstood the whole Dispel rules, it compares boosted resource amounts, and not the base casting amount for the spells into the equation.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Tell me what you think

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
I think you should write a description for us phoneposters.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
It's a Star Wars mod, just finished making sounds (ripped them from KOTOR2) so I'll post it on Desura too

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
This drat game

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Great shot, kid, that was one in a million!

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

frankenfreak posted:

Which means it was practically guaranteed.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Enjoy posted:

This drat game

Haha, is he a population killer?

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Safety Factor posted:

Haha, is he a population killer?

Yeah but only 10 pop per turn because it's mostly Captains and Admirals he's killing in the movies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzW727RY-ig

Enjoy fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jan 12, 2016

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

Enjoy posted:

Yeah but only 10 pop per turn because it's mostly Captains and Admirals he's killing in the movies

you might want to instead have a rare event where he sometimes murders a commander in the same province as him

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

This is a pretty cool mod, I have some nitpicks though:

First, this is the Imperial Enclave and yet it doesn't feel particularly related to the empire. Currently the empire is contributing 3 troops and 2 commanders, one of each is cap only too. Compare this with 6 sith units and 5 sith commanders (admittedly mostly cap only) the nation feels more like a KotOR era sith nation than a movie era imperial one.

Second, outside of sacreds you have no units that can fight in melee. Everyone who isn't a sith has a dagger if they get into a melee fight, even the 25 gold stormtroopers. I would recommend giving them either a melee blaster bonus attack, for the elites only, or a better weapon. Otherwise you have a nation that has literally no front line units if you don't get some kind of bless. Even then two of the three recruit anywhere sith are basically light infantry with a broadsword and no shield, which isn't a worldbreaking unit.

Third, force choke on the one sith unit is super underwhelming. 8 AN MR negates damage at 15 range with two ammo is about as valuable as a javelin, I think it needs more range and/or ammo if you want it to be compelling against the Steel Warrior sith and the WotFE-lite sith. Right now it may about kill a single guy on average and afterwards you are left with a guy with alright stats, medium armor, and a broadsword like weapon good against high protection troops. Unfortunately you needed to use a very unexciting unit long enough for it to upgrade to get there.

Fourth, you have no national priests outside of the capital and no leaders with more than 80 leadership period (and the 80 leadership guy is cap only). I don't know if it is intentional, but you end up completely reliant on your Sith Masters and indy commanders to lead and bless your armies. I think they need a noncap priest, and it feels off that a nation so alien to the dominions world has average guys with swords as its primary leaders.

Finally, while I think in general the troop lineup is a strength of the nation right now, it is quite literally helpless against anyone that can recruit fire resistant troops. All of your elite units deal exclusively fire damage, all of your ranged units deal exclusively fire damage, and your unevolved sith are not particularly great. I mean it's surprising to say this but the fearsome Abysian Light Infantry is an unstoppable force against this nation. Maybe have one of the sith use a vibroblade or something?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
The newest AMD driver update fixed whatever caused my Dom4 to crash. Now I can play again. Yay? :toot::gonk:

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

akulanization posted:

Fourth, you have no national priests outside of the capital and no leaders with more than 80 leadership period (and the 80 leadership guy is cap only). I don't know if it is intentional, but you end up completely reliant on your Sith Masters and indy commanders to lead and bless your armies. I think they need a noncap priest, and it feels off that a nation so alien to the dominions world has average guys with swords as its primary leaders.

All else aside, this is more an issue with Dominions than anything; you pretty much never want to recruit non-mages from forts, and mages tend to be awful leaders, so you have indie leaders commanding your armies, regardless of your nation. Unless you need magic or undead leadership or you're one of the nations whose mages are actually good at leading armies, your armies of werewolves, elves, winged humanoids, lava people, monsters, or whatever other crazy things you have will still be led by some dude with a sword.

Roland Jones fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Jan 17, 2016

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Roland Jones posted:

All else aside, this is more an issue with Dominions than anything; you pretty much never want to recruit non-mages from forts, and mages tend to be awful leaders, so you have indie leaders commanding your armies, regardless of your nation. Unless you need magic or undead leadership or you're one of the nations whose mages are actually good at leading armies, your armies of werewolves, elves, winged humanoids, lava people, monsters, or whatever other crazy things you have will still be led by some dude with a sword.

On the other hand, many nations have useful poo poo like leaders who can sail, or who are also priests so they can bless squads of sacreds under them. Personally, I look at how many mages I can recruit a turn and when money is left over after everything else, I generally recruit 1-2 of the useful leaders.

I'm deeply distrustful of indie leaders, because of their often very low morale (for leaders). I don't like half my army running away at the worst possible moment, so I generally only use indep leaders to move troops around so my useful leaders can be useful instead.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Roland Jones posted:

I still think that one of the best things this game could do is put in a separate Mage and General recruitment queue on forts.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Dirk the Average posted:

I still think that one of the best things this game could do is put in a separate Mage and General recruitment queue on forts.

That is probably a good idea seed.

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Roland Jones posted:

While this is true, the Imperial mod nation has no leaders with more than 40 leadership outside the capital. It's not just that indy commanders are more available, it's that you seriously don't have better options. If I were making changes I'd make the Stormtrooper commander recruit anywhere and leadership 80 and add H1 to the Sith Archaeologist and make them 10 or 20 gold more expensive. While most nations might use indy commanders and indy priests because of efficiency, this one uses them in large part because it doesn't have anything else to do the job.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
Ermor game is ended. For anyone who didn't know this was a game where everyone was ea ermor. It was really really good and funny. I won a throne victory on turn ninety five, because im very bad and slow and murtidash is good at defending. The game started with me having a jade amazon province in my cap circle which I thought was very lucky, then i site searched the province and found enchantresses in the same province. Then I searched the rest of my cap circle and found silver order adept recruitment. Then I found an enchantment discount a little bit further away. Then i abused all of that crap and a bunch of other crap including making shambling hordes of undeads mages and priests with life after life so that i could make big astral communions without risk of being magic dueled. Once I got to construction 6 my research skyrocketed because i had lots and lots of fire mages and made lots and lots of lanterns. Then I did all of the research and built this fuckin thing here which did this .

Then i made this and he cast strands and did a couple wishes and started teleporting around doing solo master enslaves and killing the gently caress out of everything he saw. Then the holiday break happened nad the game didnt turn for three loving weeks and i wanted to die. now its over

here graph

by the end of the game murtidash was throwing around hundreds of wights lead by elemental royalty and wraith lords and stacks of 5 summons of ether gate and poo poo, based off of his conj discount site and well of misery and stuff. it was bonkers. Shoutouts to the wild hunt for killing every healer i recruited in my forest capital for 40 turns dooming hundreds of augurs to death by disease , and whoever wished for armageddon a dozen times and killed like 5+ extremely rare randomed mages with expensive hats including a robe of the magi

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Ah yes, the wild hunt. Also responsible for my low dominion, since it kept killing the priests I send to the south.

Of course just when I had started to spread my own dominion by just spamming too many priests to get them all killed at once, the game ended. But eh, it was fun. Having hordes of wights and tarrasques running around was it's own reward.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
You're welcome for the wild hunt and telling the game maker to do ea ermor in the second same nations game. :toot:

I'm surprised I did so well. My start was horrible, but somehow I ended up being I third/fourth place.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Slaan posted:

You're welcome for the wild hunt and telling the game maker to do ea ermor in the second same nations game. :toot:

I'm surprised I did so well. My start was horrible, but somehow I ended up being I third/fourth place.

I keep looking at those graphs and I honestly can't understand how I got up to second place in provinces. My best guess is: The way I was alchemizing my high fire income into more death gems may have been wasteful, but it still allowed me to summon wights fast enough to give my more hostile neighbours a nasty surprise.

But seriously, I never expected my strategy of rolling huge deathballs into the south to actually work out. On my count, I lost one due to me being dumb and another got basically attrited down to nothing. Then I summoned a complete new army together and I think I summoned undead fast enough to just replace all the dying Ermor-dudes in army 1 and 2 with more wights over time.

Without Grey Ermor's annoying and persistent attempts at stealing my thrones, my original plan to just roll south and take all the thrones in the name of Black Ermor may have even worked! :shepface:

(I know Mukip was purplish or something because he named his pretender after himself, Murtidash was yellow (I think) and Burgundy was jsoh, but I totally forgot who Grey Ermor was. It's bugging me since yesterday but I just can't remember anymore. Probably because of the long pause inbetween.)

CatsPajamas
Jul 4, 2013

I hated the new Stupid Newbie avatar so much that I bought a new one for this user. Congrats, Lowtax.

frankenfreak posted:

I'm impressed at how well done the sprite work is here! Also that screenshot with Frakenfreak's post is hilarious, almost as hilarious as the Clown mod from earlier in the thread.

jsoh posted:

Ermor game report.

drat! That sounds like a great game. Also, I'm sure somebody's seen more but that's the most kills I've seen on any unit so far. For people in the game, how did every player playing one nation go? Seems like it would reduce the gameplay variety, but were people's playstyles different enough to make up for it?

One thing that was surprising is hearing the game went for 95 turns! That's way more than average, right? I mentioned a bit ago trying to put a lot of the great information people have posted online together and I started with a Beginner's Guide on the wiki, but I mentioned games not often running that long because that's what I've read. I guess I've got to read more stuff and keep updated it and linked pages. Thanks again to everybody who convinced me to get this game by posting after action reports and other awesome stuff about Dominions 4!

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

ea ermor is a pretty bad nation with lots of astral mages which kind of lends itself to being very defensive i think, making everything take longer because you will get magic dueled on defense if you dont have a thing to stop that and your options for going aroudn that are hard and akward

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
irc is a fun place full of fun and cool people where you can enjoy deep conversations about dominions 4

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
I just about managed to survive until the end of the game with a rump empire. I was doing pretty well for a while since I'm a fairly new player, I had a huge army and lots of income. My first mistake was summoning a doom horror, which proceed to attack my capital and killed me, Emperor Mukip. So I had all my priests call myself back and then wished for the same horror again and got him to follow orders this time. The Maker of Ruins promptly died attacking the first castle he came across because he got frozen or something. I felt really bummed out after all that so I started summoning meteors to bombard the planet. I was then forced to fight a war on two fronts while my army collapsed. I did hold off Black Ermor in their siege of my capital in a victory for the ages. He was threatening to give it another go before the game ended.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Mukip posted:

I felt really bummed out after all that so I started summoning meteors to bombard the planet.

This quote should go on the box art.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Mukip posted:

I just about managed to survive until the end of the game with a rump empire. I was doing pretty well for a while since I'm a fairly new player, I had a huge army and lots of income. My first mistake was summoning a doom horror, which proceed to attack my capital and killed me, Emperor Mukip. So I had all my priests call myself back and then wished for the same horror again and got him to follow orders this time. The Maker of Ruins promptly died attacking the first castle he came across because he got frozen or something. I felt really bummed out after all that so I started summoning meteors to bombard the planet. I was then forced to fight a war on two fronts while my army collapsed. I did hold off Black Ermor in their siege of my capital in a victory for the ages. He was threatening to give it another go before the game ended.

Yeah, that was impressive and kind of unexpected, I was expecting my army to just waltz in and take over. :v:

Also by the end of the game I had blight- and curse-based magic artillery targeting your cap, so a couple more rounds and your troops/population would have been dead/diseased/cursed.

Then I would have tried again with another army.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

by the end i had multiple master enslave communions and a dozen vampire lords and two guys capable of doing send horror which doesnt sound like a lot but then you remember that im ea ermor. i also had lots and lots of artifacts, i particularly like the one that just makes like 4 ghost mages

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
So, I'm about to get back into Dominions with a late era game; it's my first time playing against human opponents in over a year. I'm going Bogarus; is a communion based strategy viable, or am I just going to get Mind Hunted to death?

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

LeSquide posted:

So, I'm about to get back into Dominions with a late era game; it's my first time playing against human opponents in over a year. I'm going Bogarus; is a communion based strategy viable, or am I just going to get Mind Hunted to death?

You mean magic duel and no you wont.

Mu.
Sep 15, 2003

The thing about Forevereal Modding Mu is that he loves editing files and wants others to download his permanent mods. Fully editing, rich text, altering files and loving it. Download his mods and enjoy it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBkIJ-vSp7c

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Missingnos just aren't that good in battles.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

jsoh posted:

by the end i had multiple master enslave communions and a dozen vampire lords and two guys capable of doing send horror which doesnt sound like a lot but then you remember that im ea ermor. i also had lots and lots of artifacts, i particularly like the one that just makes like 4 ghost mages

I didn't even make artifacts and collected some of them, like some weird magic book which gave one of my mages some unexpected new paths. Winning battles is like forging for poor people. :v:

But still, having 7 Tarrasques with unending endurance was something I always wanted to do since an earlier game, where I got my armies trashed by someone who just made two.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Are tarrasques actually useful in any way? I remember them being stupid dogshit in dom3.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

How are u posted:

Are tarrasques actually useful in any way? I remember them being stupid dogshit in dom3.

You need a lot of poison resistance, or their breath just sweeps you away.

The thing is, as units they're not really useful, so you need to invest more gems to make them leaders so you can outfit your tarrasques with some useful junk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Sometimes I'm wondering how the AI can be so bad at Dom4, but on the other hand I had losses with 300+ units myself, so maybe poo poo just happens sometimes.

From MoMoneyMoProblems, the game with far too much money:

27 of my dudes drop dead

The AI loses 500+ units

poo poo happens. :smug:

• Locked thread