Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

bleughmacaroni posted:

This has to be a joke post right cause I'm trying to come up with a scenario where someone would actually post this and I really can't.

The scenario is that this guy is an incomprehensible religious fanatic that I went to high school with and his timeline is full of posts like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

It's white history month again!
Please, please let me sleep!

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I mean, granted, the daughter of London-based dentists being black is kinda remote, but when a major aspect of the character in the larger narrative is proving the evil wizard racists wrong, complaining about her race is a bit out there.

London has a huge non-white population, as does the British medical profession. I'd say there's a good chance that Harmione is black.

EvilGenius has a new favorite as of 09:31 on Jan 17, 2016

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
Doesn't Britain also have a huge population of North African and Indian expats? It's not a far stretch of the imagination at all.

Vladimir, who's your av? He looks cool.
VVV You're alright, friend.

kinmik has a new favorite as of 10:30 on Jan 17, 2016

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

kinmik posted:

Doesn't Britain also have a huge population of North African and Indian expats? It's not a far stretch of the imagination at all.

Vladimir, who's your av? He looks cool.

To be honest I'm not really sure. Someone drunkposted in a thread once that they'd buy anyone who wanted one a Transformers avatar and I put my hand up to get rid of a red title

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Neither are Mexicans, or Jews, so I guess this checks out.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Guilty Spork posted:

And yet, I'm pretty sure Trump isn't concerned about Malaysian Muslims.

Something like 70% of the world's Muslims live in Indonesia and the surrounding Pacific region. It's fun to bring this up to people who think Islam is the problem. It's especially fun when you also have several friends from Jakarta who chime in when you bring it up.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

sticklefifer posted:

Something like 70% of the world's Muslims live in Indonesia and the surrounding Pacific region. It's fun to bring this up to people who think Islam is the problem. It's especially fun when you also have several friends from Jakarta who chime in when you bring it up.
Not that fun.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
Does Facebook still have a separate messaging app on Android that he hasn't installed? That's the only explanation I can think of.

EvilGenius posted:

London has a huge non-white population, as does the British medical profession. I'd say there's a good chance that Harmione is black.
I live just outside London and I've never had a doctor or dentist that was white, but then I've never had one that was black either. Every single one of them has been Indian or Pakistani, but I suppose her name paints them out of that particular corner.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I know it's a serious matter, but I find it funny that 5 terrorists, all of whom died, managed to only kill 2 people.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Most terrorists are pretty dumb.

jorty
May 11, 2015

grump_dog.jpg
Lipstick Apathy
Hoo boy, I can't remember if this has been brought up here but there's a NoFap group on facebook ( https://www.facebook.com/NoFapArmy/?fref=ts )
I'm not too sure if it's just me but I'm getting a bit of a cult-y vibe from them,

(not censored due to it being on a public page)

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

poptart_fairy posted:

Four Lions was genuinely inspired by real events. Really. Not *based on*, the events depicted are different than real examples, but definitely inspired by.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZUibQl7B7E

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

poptart_fairy posted:

Anyone interested in anecdotal proof should go check out the Talk About Idiots thread in GiP: featuring insurgents falling off cliffs while pissing and jumping on their own IED detonators to test them. Also a mod admitting to accidentally invading Syria during Gulf II.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

EvilGenius posted:

It's white history month again!
Please, please let me sleep!

In the films the character of Lavender Brown started as a black girl, but by the time she was a bigger role and had to kiss one of the male leads she had transformed into a blonde haired white girl.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Haha what the hell? I know racism in major films is a thing and people get skittish of non white men kissing white women because of the "they're taking our women" mentality but usually they can accept the other way around.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Indolent Bastard posted:

In the films the character of Lavender Brown started as a black girl, but by the time she was a bigger role and had to kiss one of the male leads she had transformed into a blonde haired white girl.

Vitiligo is a bitch.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

Whoa slow down dude you just blew my mind

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Has anyone here ever asked a
code:
White History Month
advocate to produce a syllabus so that we can see the things that need attention?

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

CommonShore posted:

code:
White History Month
advocate to produce a syllabus so that we can see the things that need attention?

Notice how they always argue for gender parity in the nice comfy white collar jobs, but not say; mining, or rubbish collection or sewerage workers

Because those things are a man's responsibility. #masculinitysofragile that men are complaining they have to do a few dirty jobs, while women have to deal with real issues, like that incredibly sexist air conditioning.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Notice how they always argue for gender parity in the nice comfy white collar jobs, but not say; mining, or rubbish collection or sewerage workers

Because those things are a man's responsibility. #masculinitysofragile that men are complaining they have to do a few dirty jobs, while women have to deal with real issues, like that incredibly sexist air conditioning.

ok, I know this is gimmick post but I need to know more about this

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

my ac unit whispers when i sleep, telling me to kill all women

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

CommonShore posted:

ok, I know this is gimmick post but I need to know more about this

Evidently AC units are set based on the metabolism of a 40 y/o male, meaning they tend to be a few degrees too cold for most women's comfort.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/science/science-news/11780469/Women-shiver-at-work-in-sexist-air-conditioning.html

LITERALLY A BIRD has a new favorite as of 16:48 on Jan 17, 2016

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Also based on men wearing suits and jackets, rather than women wearing skirts and blouses.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
It is a long standing argument made by MRAs that the hard labor jobs are ones that are majority male. This is done without the recognition that those jobs come with a huge amount of misogyny piled on. So even if a woman did join the ranks, she would have to be immediately just as good, fast and strong as her male counterparts and never call in sick or ask for help.

Additionally, those jobs tend to make very good money. I know for a fact that trash pick-up in the city of Chicago starts at about $45k a year with city benefits and pension plan and many senior workers make at or above 6 figures. It's in men's interests to keep these well-paying low education requirement jobs to themselves.

Traditionally feminine jobs that require a large amount of physical labor are lower paid, non-unionized and don't carry the romanticism that steel-working or masculine hard-labor jobs do. Traditionally male jobs that become more female-driven lose their high pay as the job becomes more feminine and less desirable.

This ignores, of course, that during WWII, women were staffed to do welding, machining and "dirty" jobs, many loved it and by the end of the war were told to go back to traditionally feminine jobs.

There is a book out, and I am on my phone or I would post the link and get the name right, but it is about gay people, including a decent number of lesbians, in the steel worker unions. Super enlightening as to the literal dangers that women face in the workplace at the hands of their male coworkers.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

CommonShore posted:

code:
White History Month

What a good idea.

By the way, in a more subtle way, a lot of historians/history majors are like this. Every time you suggest exploring history from a slightly difference perspective, a lot of people scoff and call it "boutique history", which is a roundabout way of saying, "I'm not interested in any history where I have to remember names that are difficult to spell."

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
Gah!

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I don't get how people DO this. Even if we ignore that this guy feels like even his specially ordered ramen should titillate him, why does he feel the need to advertise the fact on Facebook?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

"I'm so broke I eat ramen by the truckload, and need to spend money on a sexy figurine specifically for that activity."

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

This person has killed at least one woman and will soon kill again.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Wanamingo posted:

This is true in most cases, but it's worth remembering that babies will also cry because they're tired

They also cry because they don't feel you are paying enough attention(there is such a thing as too much for their own good) or because they are bored. Basically, babies cry for anything.

And I know when I dealt with very small children a while back, doctors were saying that the proper way to handle a baby crying during nap time(which should be alone time, and be enforced to teach them to sleep on a schedule) is to go in, check and make sure everything is ok, and otherwise ignore them. This may recommendation may have changed in the decade since then tho.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I had a doc say that shaking a baby when it cries is just a faster method of rocking it to sleep and all babies stopped crying within 30 seconds or so.

Then I went for a 2nd visit and they informed that Dr C.H. Ildkiller had moved offices for some reason.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

oldpainless posted:

I had a doc say that shaking a baby when it cries is just a faster method of rocking it to sleep and all babies stopped crying within 30 seconds or so.

Then I went for a 2nd visit and they informed that Dr C.H. Ildkiller had moved offices for some reason.

I really want to say that doc was loving with you, but i have known some with REALLY bad ideas about medicine outside their field.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Babies cry because it's the only way they can communicate until they start to talk or are mobile enough to move to you and grab at you. I'm mot sure why this eludes so many people.

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

It's been snowing in england!

:(

tower time
Jul 30, 2008

Bit late, but the first time i read this I hoped it was a suggestion for racists to go to sleep and never wake up.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Picnic Princess posted:

Babies cry because it's the only way they can communicate until they start to talk or are mobile enough to move to you and grab at you. I'm mot sure why this eludes so many people.

It really isn't. They make all kinds of other noises, and you can totally learn what they mean. Also, body language is a thing, even tho is limited.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
In doubt that your message will resonate with people? Is it too racist and bigoted?

Put a Minion on it. Problem solved.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

RFC2324 posted:

I really want to say that doc was loving with you, but i have known some with REALLY bad ideas about medicine outside their field.

FOOSH! Right over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

RFC2324 posted:

It really isn't. They make all kinds of other noises, and you can totally learn what they mean. Also, body language is a thing, even tho is limited.

Some friends of mine taught their baby a basic sign language. :shrug: