Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

quadrophrenic posted:

how does that work though? is there any precedent to Congress passing resolutions that say "oh this bit in the constitution should ACTUALLY say this"?

Kinda curious about the mechanics of this

Yes, almost all areas of the constitution have some congressional resolution saying "this phrase is interpreted to mean this in law". There could be a court challenge to it, but I'm almost certain the Supreme Court would defer to Congress on any reasonable interpretation of the natural born citizen issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Quote of the day, “Because, if God forbid ISIS pays a visit to you, to our community, the last thing standing between them and our families may be the ability to protect ourselves with our guns. And there’s no way we’re going to take that away from the American people, not when I’m president.” ~ Marco Rubio

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

quadrophrenic posted:

how does that work though? is there any precedent to Congress passing resolutions that say "oh this bit in the constitution should ACTUALLY say this"?

Kinda curious about the mechanics of this

You would pass a law saying "the definition of Natural Born Citizen, as referenced in section blah, paragraph whatever, is 'whatever the definition is now'"

DynamicSloth
Jul 30, 2006

"Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth."

Joementum posted:

Yes, almost all areas of the constitution have some congressional resolution saying "this phrase is interpreted to mean this in law". There could be a court challenge to it, but I'm almost certain the Supreme Court would defer to Congress on any reasonable interpretation of the natural born citizen issue.

So the Naturalization Act of 1790?

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

fishmech posted:

You would pass a law saying "the definition of Natural Born Citizen, as referenced in section blah, paragraph whatever, is 'whatever the definition is now'"

well, no, you wouldn't need to pass a law and have it go through that loving endless committee process and tabling and untabling and that whole shebang

You'd just pass a non-binding resolution, like Congress does routinely to rename post offices or recognize National Stamp Day or National OJ Week.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

DynamicSloth posted:

So the Naturalization Act of 1790?

Yup!

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Ted Cruz gets schooled on Fox News about "carpet bombing"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dridq1UuNsw

quote:

On Sunday, Fox News host Chris Wallace asked Cruz to respond to military experts who have insisted that “carpet bombing ISIS would never work.”

In fact, former commandant of the U.S. Army War College, Robert Scales, argued that carpet bombing was “just one of those phrases that people with no military experience throw around.”

“I will apologize to no one with how vigorous I will be winning the war on terror,” Cruz replied. “We will start by having a president who will acknowledge our enemy, say it by its name, which President Obama and Hillary Clinton refuse to do.”

“And you want to know what carpet bombing means?” he continued. “Yesterday was the 20th anniversary of Desert Storm. In 1991, we had roughly 8,000 planes. Today, we have 4,000. Our Air Force has dropped in half. In 1991, we had 591 ships in our Navy. Today, we have 272. It’s dropped nearly in half. In 1991, we had over a third more soldiers in our Army.”

“And we were launching 1,100 air attacks a day. We were carpet bombing them. And after 37 days of 1,100 air attacks a day, our troops went in in a day and a half and mopped up the remnants of the Iraqi Army because that’s the effect of carpet bombing.”

Wallace, however, noted that the U.S. military leaders insist that carpet bombing was never used in the first Gulf War.

“We did precision striking,” Wallace said. “In addition — if I may — the Iraqi Army was all massed by itself in the Kuwaiti desert. We’re now talking about ISIS soldiers who are not massed, they are embedded in Mosul, they’re embedded in Raqqa with civilians.”

Cruz shot back that the current U.S. strategy was “photo-op foreign policy.”

“We’re not taking out the oil fields, we’re not taking out… Jihadist University, where they are training jihadists,” Cruz said. “Why isn’t that building rubble? We’re not using overwhelming air power.”

“We can defeat them, but we can’t defeat them if the president is unwilling to do so. And as president, I will defeat ISIS,” the Republican hopeful concluded. “We will utterly destroy them. And it takes a commander-in-chief directing our forces to do that.”

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I am a big fan of precision carpet bombing

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

He really does not give a poo poo about civilian casualties

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

he's advocating massive, ineffective bombing so that he can show people the shattered wasteland he produced and say see it's working

that like, sounds like a photo-op foreign policy 2 me

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Pumroy posted:

he's advocating massive, ineffective bombing so that he can show people the shattered wasteland he produced and say see it's working

that like, sounds like a photo-op foreign policy 2 me

It would dissuade individuals in the region from joining ISIL, and force ISIL to raise taxes upon their citizens in order to continue their operations. It would drive a wedge between the population and ISIL, while making it felt that ISIL was defeated when they are defeated.

The Germans could turn to a stabbed-in-the-back myth after WW1 precisely because the Allies were too lenient upon Germany proper. After WW2, with the results of the firebombings of Dresden, of Berlin, of Hamburg and Köln so readily apparent, there was no denying that Germany was defeated, no ability to say that Germany could have continued to resisted American superiority if only they hadn't been stabbed in the back. How could they, when there was no back left unleathered in Germany?

messagemode1
Jun 9, 2006

I'm pretty sure any conservative viewer watching that Ted Cruz segment will not walk away thinking "Man Ted Cruz sure got schooled."

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

I applied to Jihadist U but couldn't afford the tuition. Its a shame, because JU has a world class lacrosse team

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Ted Cruz gets schooled on Fox News about "carpet bombing"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dridq1UuNsw

Ted Cruz is human garbage.

messagemode1 posted:

I'm pretty sure any conservative viewer watching that Ted Cruz segment will not walk away thinking "Man Ted Cruz sure got schooled."

You're half-right. Cruz sounds whiney and weak, but they love the idea of bombing everything and they think Chris Wallace is a LIBERAL GOTCHA JOURNALIST.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

'Herewith 'natural born citizen' shall be interpreted to mean any person born a citizen of the United States with the exception of Rafael Edward Cruz, specifically.'

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
:confused:"Hey guys, why isn't our military as big as it was in 1991? Did something happen that year that made conventional forces downsize?"

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

William Bear posted:

:confused:"Hey guys, why isn't our military as big as it was in 1991? Did something happen that year that made conventional forces downsize?"

"Hey guys, why aren't we able to firebomb ISIL? Has the AF forgotten how effective attacks on enemy populations centers are at reducing a hostile military's capacity to sustain combat operations by depriving them of the manpower and logistics necessary for force replenishment?"

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Peel posted:

'Herewith 'natural born citizen' shall be interpreted to mean any person born a citizen of the United States with the exception of Rafael Edward Cruz, specifically.'

The bill passes the house 435-0 and the senate 99-1

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

fishmech posted:

Obama says he really wishes he could veto it, because he and Ted Cruz are best friends and he thinks he's make a great President.

Bethamphetamine
Oct 29, 2012

fishmech posted:

Lol if you think Rubio will show up to vote.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

fishmech posted:

98. Marco missed the vote.

E: goddamnit

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

fishmech posted:

It would pass 96-3-1, if Cruz wouldn't use the opportunity to grandstand in the world's most motivated and personal fillibuster.

Senaters Sanders, Paul, and Rubio would either abstain or miss the vote.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven
I popped by Freep, Cruz supporters, or as they are now known as CRUZBOTS are poo poo posting at a frightening pace, while Trumpkins are poo poo posting right back at them.

If Cruz can't win the shitposter war on FreeRepublic I don't think he's going to win the nomination.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

quadrophrenic posted:

Dumb question for people who know about constitutional law than me: what would be required to settle the Natural Born Citizen issue? Wouldn't it require a Constitutional amendment? The lawyer in Texas is making it sound like he wants to bring his lawsuit to the Supreme Court to settle the issue once and for all, but is it in the Supreme Court's purview to review vague Constitutional language*, and what exactly could they do to that effect?

*that is to say, in and of itself, rather than how it relates to federal law

They could basically define what 'natural born citizen' means in an opinion, probably based on the naturalization act.

Jealous Cow fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jan 17, 2016

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

My Imaginary GF posted:

It would dissuade individuals in the region from joining ISIL,

Or the apocalyptic imagery feeds and the imprecise attacks feed their narrative of a cataclysmic battle between Muslims and the other, driving recruitment up.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Top Bunk Wanker posted:

Yeah man, Trump isn't even really that rich tho if you think about it really hard. It's actually incredibly easy to start out with a 1 million dollar loan and some connections and then be worth 10 billion dollars. You should definitely hammer on this as your anti-Trump argument tactic with friends and family and on the internet.

he inherited 100,000,000 dollars

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Top City Homo posted:

he inherited 100,000,000 dollars

and a whole bunch of other assets

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

William Bear posted:

No? Maybe 2 years prior

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer
Jesus Christ President Trump can't take office soon enough.

Trying to relax and watch some all AMERICAN football and there are "technical difficulties" with either FOX or DIrecTV and the drat thing is in espanol.

THIS WOULD NOT HAPPEN IN A TRUMP ADMINISTRATION

We shouldn't even need spanish language broadcasts in AMERICA.

Want to immigrate here and live here? OK - LEARN THE LANGUAGE.

AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I'm glad you finally admitted your support for Trump is petty racism

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

If I had $100 million I'd probably squander it. Trump's a winner.

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer
On the plus size neither of these spanish speaking gentlemen is Joe Buck.

BUT STILL THIS IS AMERICA

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

blue squares posted:

No? Maybe 2 years prior

The Soviet Union dissolved completely in December 1991, even though some Eastern Bloc countries had already tossed out Soviet-backed governments in 1989 and 1990 (and a few Soviet constituent republics were de facto independent by 1990).

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Boosted_C5 posted:

Jesus Christ President Trump can't take office soon enough.

Trying to relax and watch some all AMERICAN football and there are "technical difficulties" with either FOX or DIrecTV and the drat thing is in espanol.

THIS WOULD NOT HAPPEN IN A TRUMP ADMINISTRATION

We shouldn't even need spanish language broadcasts in AMERICA.

Want to immigrate here and live here? OK - LEARN THE LANGUAGE.

AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

ᎤᏍᎦᏃᎵ ᎯᏬᏂᎯ
("please speak more slowly" in Cherokee)

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

ᏌᏊ ᎦᏬᏂᏍᏗ ᎥᏝ ᏰᎵᏊ
-one language is never enough

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Boosted_C5 posted:

On the plus size neither of these spanish speaking gentlemen is Joe Buck.

I will vote for whoever can promise me that none of the gentlemen on TV are Joe Buck

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

one of the white supremacists supporting trump brought up how insulting it was that good americans have to press 1 for english in the interviews he was doing after his white nationalist PAC started spending its money trying to get trump elected

perhaps it's not coincidental that white supremacists and trump supporters have identical concerns

R.A. Dickey
Feb 20, 2005

Knuckleballer.

Joementum posted:

Quote of the day, “Because, if God forbid ISIS pays a visit to you, to our community, the last thing standing between them and our families may be the ability to protect ourselves with our guns. And there’s no way we’re going to take that away from the American people, not when I’m president.” ~ Marco Rubio

It is absolutely inexplicable that Marco is going to lose the primary. It's a perfect mix of ineptitude, laziness, miscalculation, everything. He can't even pander properly. The entire rest of the field is completely unelectable and I still can't find a viable path forward for him after he loses IA, NH, and SC.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

R.A. Dickey posted:

It is absolutely inexplicable that Marco is going to lose the primary. It's a perfect mix of ineptitude, laziness, miscalculation, everything. He can't even pander properly. The entire rest of the field is completely unelectable and I still can't find a viable path forward for him after he loses IA, NH, and SC.

Inanimate Carbon Rod 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

R.A. Dickey posted:

Remember the old saying, "90% of life is just showing up"

Rubio can't even do the bare minimum for a campaign

• Locked thread