Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Belzac posted:

Ninja is a loving stupid job and should be redesigned. No job's dps should have a significant factor being "I don't do much but I make others do more to make up for it". That design is loving stupid and impossible for them to balance and even if they did balance it perfectly with the popularity of fflogs it doesn't even matter. Monk could do 10% more damage than the Ninja WITH all the bonus damage poo poo factored in and people would still favor ninjas purely for padding. It's a terrible design choice and should be minimized as much as possible.

Tell me what you think about bards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
Bards and Machinist are iffy but generally their support isn't nearly as much of their dps as ninjas. Specifically bards have to GIVE UP their damage support to do TP or MP while MCH's buff is on a massive CD and is kinda just ok. Ninja doesn't have to trade anything, multiple abilities with trick attack being on a short cd and the others while long cds it doesn't even matter, and their weirdness with their weapon type debuff makes them just completely lame.

Belzac fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jan 17, 2016

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
So, C'olonel Sanders brought something to my attention:

All three of those top FCs are goons.

Goons run Barter TownExcalibur. This is why we strongly encourage people to roll on Excalibur. (lift embargo)

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/ranking/fc/weekly/201601/?filter=1&worldname=Excalibur&gcid=

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jan 18, 2016

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Belzac posted:

Bards and Machinist are iffy but generally their support isn't nearly as much of their dps as ninjas. Specifically bards have to GIVE UP their damage support to do TP or MP while MCH's buff is on a massive CD and is kinda just ok. Ninja doesn't have to trade anything, multiple abilities with trick attack being on a short cd and the others while long cds it doesn't even matter, and their weirdness with their weapon type debuff makes them just completely lame.

They should get rid of the damage type debuffs anyway. It's silly that a bard needs to have a dragoon to do their maximum potential dps.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I realized you could make more than 1 dude, so I decided to see if Excalibur was open when I got off work. It was! So I have a guy in my back pocket whenever I want to give it a whirl.

Came to ask when you can ride poo poo though. I want one of those flaming horses in blue.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Mounts, like pretty much everything else in the game, are unlocked through the main story. You'll be able to buy a chocobo shortly after you defeat your first primal, which is a level 20 quest.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Horses are harder to get though, they only drop from Extreme Primals, which you can't unlock until level 50.

Bertram Weatherby
Jul 23, 2013

Curse you Furuhata!

Kwyndig posted:

Horses are harder to get though, they only drop from Extreme Primals, which you can't unlock until level 50.

And if you say neigh to farming those, you can also get a more traditional horse from doing lots of Frontlines, or a winged one from doing lots of Diadem.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I believe you also get a pretty nice unicorn for getting Conjurer to 30.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Archyduke posted:

You do get a unicorn for that, but unicorns are not horses.:colbert:

Burger McAngus
May 24, 2010

Archyduke posted:

The unicorn mount is ugly and terrible.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Well, it looks like I'll be in this game for a while then. A chocobo or unicorn will not do. I need a magic horse. Level 50 sounds like a hell of a grind though.

Is there no option to just go alone? I reached my first dungeon and I have no desire to wait ~20 minutes to get into it.

SonicRulez fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Jan 17, 2016

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

SonicRulez posted:

Well, it looks like I'll be in this game for a while then. A chocobo or unicorn will not do. I need a magic horse. Level 50 sounds like a hell of a grind though.

Is there no option to just go alone? I reached my first dungeon and I have no desire to wait ~20 minutes to get into it.

Just keep doing the quests and whatever else you were doing while waiting, it's not like you have to stand there. Grouping is fun, that's why they call it a party :v:.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

SonicRulez posted:

Is there no option to just go alone?

It's an MMO dumbass.

9foxtails
Jan 13, 2016
I have reinstated my account. Going to move my character to Excalibur to meet up with everyone.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Hey guys, I'm sure no one cares but I am a bit bored and burned out with FFXIV, so I've unsubscribed. I'll probably be back in a few months.

EDIT: I'll make sure to take the crap out of my room in the FC house and demolish it or whatever within the next seven days (which is when my sub lapses)

FrostyPox fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Jan 17, 2016

Valle
Apr 16, 2004

Telling customers how to solve world problems since 2001

SonicRulez posted:

You can keep doing stuff while queued, you can even switch jobs if you want to craft or level another DoW job or whatever. When the queue pops, you just have to switch back before clicking commence.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

SonicRulez posted:

Gosh, it's almost as if we told you repeatedly to play on a high population server with a ton of goons for a reason.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Fister Roboto posted:

They should get rid of the damage type debuffs anyway. It's silly that a bard needs to have a dragoon to do their maximum potential dps.

I get why they are there, as they want to force you to use a rotation, but it is lovely for the classes that don't provide their own. Also I agree with Belzac, I'd prefer less support more even selfishness in dps classes.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

It wouldn't be so bad if BRD weapons weren't deliberately underpowered compared to other jobs.

Hell, technically MCH can do more damage than BRD because they have pets.

Kwyndig fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jan 17, 2016

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Valle posted:

You can keep doing stuff while queued, you can even switch jobs if you want to craft or level another DoW job or whatever. When the queue pops, you just have to switch back before clicking commence.

I figured that out after a couple minutes and then it wasn't bad. First dungeon went fine. I guess Tanks are sorta the de facto party leaders since they gotta go first. I had a couple noob questions that I didn't want to bog him down with during the fight, but I still want to know. What is an add? From context clues I'm guessing it's just enemies that spawn during the boss fight, but I'm not sure. Also, are tanks the only ones that can mark enemies with the little numbers or can everyone do that?

Whizbang posted:

It's an MMO dumbass.

You can totally choose to go alone in DCUO and Maplestory which are the only other MMOs I've ever played. And as you can tell from that illustrious list, I don't know anything about MMOs. Give me a break dude.

And here's my male catgirl!

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Nice AF you're sporting there.

Jinh
Sep 12, 2008

Fun Shoe

SonicRulez posted:

I figured that out after a couple minutes and then it wasn't bad. First dungeon went fine. I guess Tanks are sorta the de facto party leaders since they gotta go first. I had a couple noob questions that I didn't want to bog him down with during the fight, but I still want to know. What is an add? From context clues I'm guessing it's just enemies that spawn during the boss fight, but I'm not sure. Also, are tanks the only ones that can mark enemies with the little numbers or can everyone do that?

You can totally choose to go alone in DCUO and Maplestory which are the only other MMOs I've ever played. And as you can tell from that illustrious list, I don't know anything about MMOs. Give me a break dude.

And here's my male catgirl!

Nice catgirl! And you were right, an add is an additional mob that spawns in the middle of a fight.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

SonicRulez posted:

Also, are tanks the only ones that can mark enemies with the little numbers or can everyone do that?

Anyone can (or maybe just the leader?).

Here's a fairly exhaustive list of FFXIV and general MMO terms, but asking in your group (or here obviously) is fine too.
http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Dictionary%20of%20Terms%20and%20Slang

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

a kitten posted:

Yeah, anyone can use signs. You'll sometimes see it with whoever's doing doors in Lost City. (Well, did, when people used to actually have to do doors.)

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

a kitten posted:

Here's a fairly exhaustive list of FFXIV and general MMO terms, but asking in your group (or here obviously) is fine too.
http://ffxiv.gamerescape.com/wiki/Dictionary%20of%20Terms%20and%20Slang

Thanks mate, that should be super helpful.

By the way, if anyone ever has suggestions for that skill setup, let me know. I'm always open to criticism. In the first dungeon we wiped because I ran ahead of the tank.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Eimi posted:

I get why they are there, as they want to force you to use a rotation, but it is lovely for the classes that don't provide their own. Also I agree with Belzac, I'd prefer less support more even selfishness in dps classes.

Maybe they could do something like allow bards and machinists to change their damage type out of combat so that they could benefit from warriors/ninjas or monks (and monks would get a little utility).

Kwyndig posted:

It wouldn't be so bad if BRD weapons weren't deliberately underpowered compared to other jobs.

Hell, technically MCH can do more damage than BRD because they have pets.

That's not really how it works. Pet DPS is assumed to be part of their own when it comes to balancing classes.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jan 17, 2016

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

SonicRulez posted:

In the first dungeon we wiped because I ran ahead of the tank.

:allears:

Honestly, apart from pulling a ton of mobs or being the healer, there's nothing a person can do in the first 3 dungeons to single-handedly cause a wipe. Don't worry too much about it. If running ahead of the tank caused a wipe in Sastasha, all the players were either MMO newbies like yourself, or lacked a pulse.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Truga posted:

:allears:

Honestly, apart from pulling a ton of mobs or being the healer, there's nothing a person can do in the first 3 dungeons to single-handedly cause a wipe. Don't worry too much about it. If running ahead of the tank caused a wipe in Sastasha, all the players were either MMO newbies like yourself, or lacked a pulse.

For example, we had a goon run last night in sastash with a white mage, scholar, black mage, and thaumaturge. All cloth classes and the only ones casting healing were the white mage and the fairie pet of the scholar.

It was one of the fastest runs of that dungeon I had been a part of. Pull every pack at once, give no fucks.

e: oh, and the white mage was drunk, iirc

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Kibner posted:

For example, we had a goon run last night in sastash with a white mage, scholar, black mage, and thaumaturge. All cloth classes and the only ones casting healing were the white mage and the fairie pet of the scholar.

It was one of the fastest runs of that dungeon I had been a part of. Pull every pack at once, give no fucks.

e: oh, and the white mage was drunk, iirc

First 3 dungeons scholars can literally just summon their fairy and then set their character to follow the tank and go AFK.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I excitedly await more dungeon stories. I can't see myself ever switching over to healer. Not that I'm not a team player, but that seems like the #1 job to gently caress up.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

SonicRulez posted:

I excitedly await more dungeon stories. I can't see myself ever switching over to healer. Not that I'm not a team player, but that seems like the #1 job to gently caress up.

It's actually pretty difficult to gently caress up as a healer and "let" people die, if that's all you're trying to do.
The harder part is being a good healer, which is maximizing your DPS while still not letting people die.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Does a good WHM use Holy?

But yeah, just healing is boring as gently caress and pretty easy most of the time.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Does a good healer use Holy?

But yeah, just healing is boring as gently caress and pretty easy most of the time.

Always.

My number one tip for playing a tank or healer is to not be a spiteful shithead when you see the dps doing something you don't like. Don't be the rear end in a top hat who doesn't pick up mobs when the dps pulls it, don't be the cock who doesn't heal when the dps stands in something. I see this far too often, and all it does is make the run slower and miserable for everyone.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

Does a good WHM use Holy?
Yes, as your MP allows. WHM DPS was limited compared to SCH pre-Heavensward, but a 60 WHM can toss out divine seal-asylum-regen on the tank and have plenty of time to pull out some lovely DPS numbers, and Assize ({Can I have it?}) is an excellent tool for healing, damage, and MP management.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Grouped up with someone who was "new" at tanking and I had to slowly begin whittling down the abilities I was using as he kept losing aggro incredibly quickly, and wasn't able to maintain it for more than a couple of seconds at a time. It got to the point where auto-attack and mutilate were all it took.

How is that physically possible. :psyduck:

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

poptart_fairy posted:

Grouped up with someone who was "new" at tanking and I had to slowly begin whittling down the abilities I was using as he kept losing aggro incredibly quickly, and wasn't able to maintain it for more than a couple of seconds at a time. It got to the point where auto-attack and mutilate were all it took.

No stance, not using threat generators? Then they're just a sturdy sub-par DPS.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

poptart_fairy posted:

Broken weapon?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

or way outdated gear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I'll assume it's gear as I don't like to think people are bad straight off, but jesus christ. :v:

• Locked thread