Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
What's a website that I can say "I watch these shows" and then it makes an iCal or exchange calendar for me to subscribe to so I know when all my shows air?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

The Iron Rose posted:

I'll give it this much that's one of the best pilots I've ever seen, drat.

also man they really zeroed in on the goon demographic with the main character hah

Nah.

He's a better person than most goons.

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Boris Galerkin posted:

What's a website that I can say "I watch these shows" and then it makes an iCal or exchange calendar for me to subscribe to so I know when all my shows air?

next-episode.net

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Yredc3ayOE

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Why have you done this thing?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

less laughter posted:

next-episode.net

POG!

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Okay, it's Netflix day at the winter TCA press tour, which means a whole bunch of announcements and release dates. The big one, however expected, is that Jessica Jones is renewed for Season 2.

Anyway, here's what the year looks like for Netflix so far (bold titles are new announcements):
  • Love (Judd Apatow-produced romantic comedy starring Paul Rust & Gillian Jacobs): February 19
  • House of Cards S4: March 4
  • Flaked (dramedy with Will Arnett as "a man doing his honest best to stay one step ahead of his own lies"): March 11
  • Daredevil S2: March 18
  • The Ranch (multi-cam sitcom with Ashton Kutcher, Danny Masterson, Elisha Cuthbert, Sam Elliot, and Debra Winger): April 1
  • Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt S2: April 15
  • Grace & Frankie S2: May 6
  • Orange is the New Black S4: June 17
  • Stranger Things (Winona Ryder stars in an ensemble mystery about a young boy's disappearance and the supernatural forces that may be behind it): July 15
  • The Get Down (mythic take on the rise of 70s soul music, created by Baz Luhrmann, produced by Shawn Ryan): August 12

I imagine The Wachowskis/Straczynski are gonna take their time developing the second season of Sense8, but I kinda wonder what's going on with Luke Cage and Bloodline.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jan 17, 2016

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

DivisionPost posted:

Okay, it's Netflix day at the winter TCA press tour, which means a whole bunch of announcements and release dates. The big one, however expected, is that Jessica Jones is renewed for Season 2.

Anyway, here's what the year looks like for Netflix so far (bold titles are new announcements):
  • Love (Judd Apatow-produced romantic comedy starring Paul Rust & Gillian Jacobs): February 19
  • Flaked (dramedy with Will Arnett as "a man doing his honest best to stay one step ahead of his own lies"): March 11
  • The Ranch (multi-cam sitcom with Ashton Kutcher, Danny Masterson, Elisha Cuthbert, Sam Elliot, and Debra Winger): April 1
  • The Get Down (mythic take on the rise of 70s soul music, created by Baz Luhrmann, produced by Shawn Ryan): August 12

I imagine The Wachowskis/Straczynski are gonna take their time developing the second season of Sense8, but I kinda wonder what's going on with Luke Cage.

Is that everything for the year or is there likely to be more?

I have no idea how long TV realistically takes to make, but is there any chance of Unfortunate Events hitting this year given that they're still in the casting stage?

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Steve2911 posted:

Is that everything for the year or is there likely to be more?

There's already more; I just updated my post.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Also, Ted Sardanos responded to NBC's callout by claiming that the 18-49 demographic is advertiser-driven, and therefore means nothing to Netflix. "Why would NBC use their lunch with you to talk about our ratings?" he asked during the executive session. "Maybe it's more fun than talking about NBC's ratings."

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Steve2911 posted:

Why have you done this thing?

The fact that they made an adaptation of Peep Show that doesn't have the actual gimmick that gives it its title would be a hilarious joke if it wasn't real.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Q-U2THOF00

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Wow Love comes out much sooner than I was expecting. I thought Apatow was involved creatively though so it's kind of a bummer he's not

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Escobarbarian posted:

I thought Apatow was involved creatively though so it's kind of a bummer he's not

He's also a writer on it.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

The Iron Rose posted:

on a scale of 1 to 10 how self righteously antiestablishment is Mr. Robot. I really liked person of interest for managing to avoid that trope, and apparently Mr. Robot is fantastic, but the premise being "dude joins anarchist hactivist group" gives me some pause

It's obscenely antiestablishment for a very long time but in the final third of the season it reveals that all the antiestablishment hectoring was building to a more important point

It's not a story about dudes raging against the system even though it seems like one for a vast majority of the season. It's a story about how people perceive others and themselves, essentially a story about how every one of is is the star of the narrative that we author that is our life

So yeah, I sorta quit at episode 6 the first time because I sincerely thought that that's all mr. Robot wanted to say (because, to be fair, that's all it was saying) but the final three episodes brought me back on board

CoffeeQaddaffi
Mar 20, 2009

DivisionPost posted:

but I kinda wonder what's going on with Luke Cage and Bloodline.

Luke Cage is probably going to be Oct - Dec release. That's around when DD and JJ released their S1s iirc.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Coffeehitler posted:

Luke Cage is probably going to be Oct - Dec release. That's around when DD and JJ released their S1s iirc.

Daredevil came out around April time and Jessica Jones 6 months later.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

whowhatwhere posted:

....self-righteously I'd say 1-3, but it's very anti-establishment.

Dude you're misremembering how often Elliot rants in the first 3/4 of the season how deadened and superficial the people around him are and how he's the only one who Really Gets It, I mean seriously that's kinda the point of the final act, to juxtapose Elliot's constant holier-than-thou speechifying with the unpleasant reality of what happens

The show attempts to undercut Elliot's ranting with him going "but I'm dead inside so I'm not any better" but it's all very clearly him attempting to, badly, build a forced equivalence. Most of the season Elliot is steadfast that he's right and better than everyone else around him because he sees Evil Corp for what they really are, he's the only one speaking truth to power

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
At a recent X-FILES event, Glen Morgan revealed that he tried to use the family from 'Home' in an episode of MILLENNIUM, but was told point blank by Fox that "Those people will never appear on our network again."

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

DivisionPost posted:

Also, Ted Sardanos responded to NBC's callout by claiming that the 18-49 demographic is advertiser-driven, and therefore means nothing to Netflix. "Why would NBC use their lunch with you to talk about our ratings?" he asked during the executive session. "Maybe it's more fun than talking about NBC's ratings."
This is my favourite thing about that:

quote:

The ratings estimates that NBC presented Wednesday were based on numbers from technology company Symphony, which measured TV viewership among a sample group using software loaded on to users’ phones that tracks viewership by capturing the soundtrack of the programs they watch.
Pulling those sorts of stats as a 'gotcha' comes across as pretty sad and out of touch.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

DrVenkman posted:

At a recent X-FILES event, Glen Morgan revealed that he tried to use the family from 'Home' in an episode of MILLENNIUM, but was told point blank by Fox that "Those people will never appear on our network again."

I wonder if the people who told him that still work at Fox.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

this is airing tonight on HBO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKR3je-Ldng

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

for reference this is godfather parts I and II, all in high-def, with cut footage from the theatrical cuts, airing in chronological order

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Toxxupation posted:

this is airing tonight on HBO

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKR3je-Ldng

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK

for reference this is godfather parts I and II, all in high-def, with cut footage from the theatrical cuts, airing in chronological order

If you're pissed you're going to be missing it, it's going to be airing next Saturday at 9:00 pm as well.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

DivisionPost posted:

• Stranger Things (Winona Ryder stars in an ensemble mystery about a young boy's disappearance and the supernatural forces that may be behind it): July 15

I imagine The Wachowskis/Straczynski are gonna take their time developing the second season of Sense8, but I kinda wonder what's going on with Luke Cage and Bloodline.

Jessica Jones S2 is ace news! Besides that I want to be excited about another Elisha Cuthbert sitcom but Ashton Kutcher :ohdear:

I'd expect Luke Cage to hit a similar time in the year as JJ did last year. Daredevil's coming out almost bang on a year later and Marvel's production capabilities can only stretch so far

The Duke
May 19, 2004

The Angel from my Nightmare

DrVenkman posted:

Isn't there an episode of the new series called "Home Again"?

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Boris Galerkin posted:

Also, is there one that will list when seasons finish, for the people that like to wait and binge?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Reminder that starting in an hour and a half TBS is going to marathon the entire first season of Angie Tribeca over 25 hours (there are only ten episodes so they're showing it five times.)

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

Reminder that starting in an hour and a half TBS is going to marathon the entire first season of Angie Tribeca over 25 hours (there are only ten episodes so they're showing it five times.)

why

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It was massively delayed for some reason and so they have the second season all ready already. They also joked that after the first season they have ten more seasons of one episode each.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Don't forget club de cuervos 2

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

muscles like this? posted:

I would recommend skipping out on that. Having seen the first episode it commits the number one unforgivable sin that a parody/farce can commit. It tries way way way too hard.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Rarity posted:

Jessica Jones S2 is ace news! Besides that I want to be excited about another Elisha Cuthbert sitcom but Ashton Kutcher :ohdear:

Well, funny enough, a couple of top TV critics -- including Daniel Fienberg and Todd Van Der Werff -- claim they kinda dug the first episode or so without really elaborating. However, I started to get a picture of what they were responding to once someone pointed out that the show was co-created by Don Reo, the mad genius responsible for season 4 of the fox sitcom Til' Death.

I call him a mad genius, but I don't have any firsthand experience with that. I've seen one episode of Til' Death from its first season. I was one of those weird, lame college students who didn't know how to score any weed (still don't), so when I was bored, I looked to the TV. I turned on the series premiere because I liked Brad Garrett, and it was pretty much what you'd expect from a multi-camera sitcom about a middle-aged married couple. I ended up writing it off, and ultimately forgot that it existed...

...until I read this article, which laid out just how loving WHACKED the show had gotten in its 4th and final season. Seriously, if you don't know the poo poo they pulled, read about it.

Apparently afterwards he linked up with Two and a Half Men, but any show he creates I'm immediately curious about as a result of that article.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jan 18, 2016

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Aww, poo poo, Netflix just renewed Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt for season 3!

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

DivisionPost posted:

Well, funny enough, a couple of top TV critics -- including Daniel Fienberg and Todd Van Der Werff -- claim they kinda dug the first episode or so without really elaborating. However, I started to get a picture of what they were responding to once someone pointed out that the show was co-created by Don Reo, the mad genius responsible for season 4 of the fox sitcom Til' Death.

I call him a mad genius, but I don't have any firsthand experience with that. I've seen one episode of Til' Death from its first season. I was one of those weird, lame college students who didn't know how to score any weed (still don't), so when I was bored, I looked to the TV. I turned on the series premiere because I liked Brad Garrett, and it was pretty much what you'd expect from a multi-camera sitcom about a middle-aged married couple. I ended up writing it off, and ultimately forgot that it existed...

...until I read this article, which laid out just how loving WHACKED the show had gotten in its 4th and final season. Seriously, if you don't know the poo poo they pulled, read about it.

Apparently afterwards he linked up with Two and a Half Men, but any show he creates I'm immediately curious about as a result of that article.

He's also the guy who created Blossom, Action and the John Larroquette show so he's basically a crazy person

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Angie Tribeca thread because of course.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

Toxxupation posted:

Dude you're misremembering how often Elliot rants in the first 3/4 of the season how deadened and superficial the people around him are and how he's the only one who Really Gets It, I mean seriously that's kinda the point of the final act, to juxtapose Elliot's constant holier-than-thou speechifying with the unpleasant reality of what happens

The show attempts to undercut Elliot's ranting with him going "but I'm dead inside so I'm not any better" but it's all very clearly him attempting to, badly, build a forced equivalence. Most of the season Elliot is steadfast that he's right and better than everyone else around him because he sees Evil Corp for what they really are, he's the only one speaking truth to power

I'm not, I was trying to talk about the season as a whole without blatantly talking about the entire arc.

Ravane
Oct 23, 2010

by LadyAmbien

Snak posted:

Yeah but celebrities having dumb views validates regular people who have dumb views.

Yeah, but again, those views are rendered moot by making major vaccinations mandatory. It's really not a thing to be left to free choice.

The new X-Files premieres this week right?

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Angie Tribeca loving rocks BTW

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

DivisionPost posted:

Angie Tribeca loving rocks BTW

Is the first episode not a good indicator of the quality of the show? Because it was like someone saw Police Squad and tried really hard to imitate it but just didn't get what worked about it. I mean I love parody and I thought it was godawful. Which is a shame because it has a talented cast. It's just trying way too heard and forcing cliche jokes (the fake CSI intro) and repeating terrible jokes that didn't land the first time (the ridiculous faux Ford.com product placements).

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

X-O posted:

Is the first episode not a good indicator of the quality of the show? Because it was like someone saw Police Squad and tried really hard to imitate it but just didn't get what worked about it. I mean I love parody and I thought it was godawful. Which is a shame because it has a talented cast. It's just trying way too heard and forcing cliche jokes (the fake CSI intro) and repeating terrible jokes that didn't land the first time (the ridiculous faux Ford.com product placements).

The first 3 episodes were kinda mediocre. It gets better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

. edit nevermind

• Locked thread