Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Jerkface posted:

Best way to watch each trilogy

PT - still picture
OT - stop motion video
NT - animated gif

You missed a trick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010

Barudak posted:

I mean, the fact that a Jedi can be shot to death should tell you all you need to know about this power "making GBS threads all over" anything else in Star Wars.

It let's me know that Lucas can't even take his own now hyped up & over explained power set into account in those blooming awful prequels.

Or of course seeing a few minutes into the future isn't much good if you've got dozens of lasers hitting you at the same time.

I'm half joking but the fact that this thread is still nerds spreging out and fighting about prequel shitte is a little depressing.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

So what you're saying is that the prequels are Tumblr-resistant, and all the dank childrens storybook images of nazi bishonen loving eachother are inspired by TFA?

It's okay for people to like Star Wars and draw fanart of Star Wars.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

PittTheElder posted:

Really the entire score for the PT is pretty awesome, unless you're that one reviewer who hates John Williams for some reason.

I still don't remember any music from TFA, but I find myself singing the The Phantom Menace theme in my head pretty regularly.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Neurolimal posted:

It's okay for people to like Star Wars and draw fanart of Star Wars.

Unless a child does it, then you should contact child services.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

homullus posted:

One thing that makes aggregation sites actually pretty bad for supporting points is that some of it is made up and/or stuff written later on. Here's a 1999 review of The Phantom Menace. Go read it, it's short. Its conclusion, after complaining about how Jar Jar is foolish, Amidala is ineffective, Obi-Wan is tentative, and Anakin acts like a kid:

What grade do you think Metacritic made up (apparently literally) for that review? The review itself does not give the movie any kind of score.
It's a 40, obviously.

Haha holy crap this is egregious. Unfortunately a lot of the lowest score reviews aren't viewable anymore, although the one that (metacritic decided) rated it 0 is. And while it is a negative review - written at the time of the 3D rerelease by someone that obviously hates the Phantom Menace already - I mean come on, a zero? As in, no redeeming qualities at all, one of the worst movies ever. I also am curious by what math Ebert's 4.5 out of 5 stars converts to an 88.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Guy A. Person posted:

Haha holy crap this is egregious. Unfortunately a lot of the lowest score reviews aren't viewable anymore, although the one that (metacritic decided) rated it 0 is. And while it is a negative review - written at the time of the 3D rerelease by someone that obviously hates the Phantom Menace already - I mean come on, a zero? As in, no redeeming qualities at all, one of the worst movies ever. I also am curious by what math Ebert's 4.5 out of 5 stars converts to an 88.

It might be some kind of bell-curve they do to critics' ratings based on their past ratings, so you don't just get one guy who gives everything 80-100 loving it all up.

And this is why I like to use top critics on RT rather than general, because the general critics includes a bunch of weirdos running a small DVD blog and the likes.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

piratepilates posted:

I still don't remember any music from TFA, but I find myself singing the The Phantom Menace theme in my head pretty regularly.

Then listen to the musical score of TFA more because Rey's Theme is sublime.

Duel of the Fates is so loving played out man.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

piratepilates posted:

It might be some kind of bell-curve they do to critics' ratings based on their past ratings, so you don't just get one guy who gives everything 80-100 loving it all up.

And this is why I like to use top critics on RT rather than general, because the general critics includes a bunch of weirdos running a small DVD blog and the likes.

Well as opposed to someone giving a literal 0 to a film dragging it all down. But no I get your point. I was also thinking (at least for the Ebert thing) probably star ratings in general they might finesse a little based on the content of the review, so you have a little more nuance than just multiples of 10.

Aggregator sites in general have a lot of issues though, it's why I tend to prefer actually reading a review by a critic that I trust. When you have scores ranging from 0 to 91 and a lot of scores are guessed at, it doesn't paint a picture of something that is seen as universally mediocre.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

piratepilates posted:

The TFA score stood out a lot more for me after listening to the soundtrack by itself. Other than Rey's Theme (which deserves the praise it gets) there's not really any "big" thematic material like, say, ESB has, but there's a lot of very nice minor motifs and action music. It reminds me of ANH in that respect.

I will agree, though, that the TPM score is excellent, and my second favorite of the saga after ESB.

E: Also the fact that none of the prequels have gotten a full score release like the OT Special Edition soundtracks, and have only been published in chopped up forms, is a goddamn travesty.

Lord Hydronium fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jan 17, 2016

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

piratepilates posted:

The letters page has taken over the magazine.

quote:

If you are a true STAR WARS fan who cares deeply about the Saga, I urge you to please read this letter. The person writing this wishes to stay anonymous as my only want is to protect the integrity and good image of my beloved galaxy, and I need no attention to myself. I am very serious about what you are about to read and it's extremely important for everyone that loves STAR WARS to listen to what I have to say and take it seriously. A disgusting movie spoof of SW called SPACEBALLS will be released soon. I was unfortunate to see an advance preview of it and am abhorred by what I saw. I consider myself to be a dedicated and loyal SW fan. I love that universe as my home and those characters as my best friends, and I hate anyone that does anything against SW. Considering that, I know what I'm talking about in this letter. Well, SPACEBALLS goes way beyond just doing something against SW. The whole movie is one long ludicrous, hideous put-down of everything in SW. It makes Leia look like a gunslinging whore, makes Han look like he's a stupid idiot, and makes Voda look like a foolish master of nothing. SPACEBALLS then goes on to reach the height of bad taste in making fun of every other character, place and thing in the SW galaxy. I was outraged to see how the movie had the gall to ridicule and laugh at all the things in SW that the fans take very seriously. SPACEBALLS makes all the SW characters look like jerks and reduces all the intimate aspects of the Saga, like Leia and Han's relationship or Luke's Force training, into a series of uncalled for and tasteless jokes. I find nothing funny about making fun of SW. No real fan would, either. This sick movie should be considered high sacrilege and extreme offense against all SW fandom. I ask everyone reading this to please don't go see the movie. To be serious, I beg you in the good name of SW, DO NOT go see this movie in any way, shape or form. If you love Leia, and the others, and if you are a real, true fan, you will stay far away from SPACEBALLS. Tell everyone you know - - Everyone -- that the movie is a complete absurdity and tell them to go see it. I beg you to spread the bad word about this insult to SW called SPACEBALLS. No one can call themselves a true SW fan if they go to see or support in any way a movie or person that makes fun of SW. You and I and all of SW fandom owe it to the characters to see that SPACEBALLS is successful. It would not be fair to them (the characters) if a movie putting them down is a success. We can't let it be. It is a threat to the reputation and integrity and good image of the SW saga. Spread the bad word and send letters of protest to MGM Studios. DO NOT go to see SPACEBALLS. If you truly love STAR WARS, you won't go to see it and you'll do your best not to let anyone else see it, either. This letter is to be taken dead seriously and deserves deep concern and action from SW fans. DO NOT go to see SPACEBALLS. Our Saga's reputation is at stake.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Panzeh posted:

I think the OT and TFA just don't have much of interest to talk about- they're not particularly complex movies and they are at heart kids' movies for manchildren.

I wouldn't say the prequel movies are particularly good, but they are more complex and interesting than pap like most of Return of the Jedi or the entirety of TFA. TFA is more competently made, but very, very simplistic.
I don't entirely agree.

Return Of The Jedi is bad, but there's still a lot to talk about in the OT films. That just involves looking at the nuances: the way a certain sequence is edited, or how very minor traits build up to give us a full character. It's mostly about looking at the philosophy of the characters, and how that's reflected in the world around them.

For example, I just rewatched Empire Strikes Back not long ago, and there's so much going on with the womb imagery, how everyone has a droid or alien sidekick, "I trusted them! It's not my fault!" is a repeated line of dialogue.... It's extremely abstract throughout.

There's also stuff to talk about in the bad Star Warses (Ep. 6 and 7) - though that involves mostly looking at what went wrong with, like, the editing. Certain aspects were just botched (the awful Leia sister twist, the halfhearted anarchoprimitivism, "from a certain point of view"... In TFA you have Full Godwin, hyperactive editing, "gently caress the poor", a full retconning of the OT, shitloads of exposition, ill-defined spirituality, and surprisingly bad characterization (given that's what people praise the most)).

People just don't want to write about the other films, because the prequels have clear, powerful, laser-precise imagery that you either appreciate or get frustrated at for over a decade. There's less ambiguity in the prequels. In essence:

With the prequels, fans say "I don't want to think about this! :("
With the OT and TFA, fans say "I don't have to think about this! :)"

That's why nobody cares that Rey closes her eyes, or what Yoda is actually teaching on Dagoba.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

quote:

Does anyone have that gif where the giant eyeroll smilies is vomiting more eyerolls?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Its a shame that people hating on the PT has pushed certain posters into such a dogmatic corner that they have to hate on one of the best star wars movies, The Force Awakens, instead of showering it with the amount of praise they heap onto Dexter Jettster. They have become what they have fought so hard against.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

There's also stuff to talk about in the bad Star Warses (Ep. 6 and 7) - though that involves mostly looking at what went wrong with, like, the editing. Certain aspects were just botched (the awful Leia sister twist, the halfhearted anarchoprimitivism, "from a certain point of view"... In TFA you have Full Godwin, hyperactive editing, "gently caress the poor", a full retconning of the OT, shitloads of exposition, ill-defined spirituality, and surprisingly bad characterization (given that's what people praise the most)).

I thought you said TFA was decent? You're waffling.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

now this is podracing

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Yaws posted:

I thought you said TFA was decent? You're waffling.

Too many plebs liked TFA for him to stick to that.

Jerkface posted:

Its a shame that people hating on the PT has pushed certain posters into such a dogmatic corner that they have to hate on one of the best star wars movies, The Force Awakens, instead of showering it with the amount of praise they heap onto Dexter Jettster. They have become what they have fought so hard against.

This times a thousand. They're so backed up into their bunker mentality that they assume the thread is bursting with mindless PT haters unwilling to explain why they dislike them, when in reality it's just been Tezzor (who's gimmick is this, not actually afraid of the PT) and one other dude too forgettable for me to remember their name.

Reading an Hbomberguy or SMG post is not unlike reading a freep post where they insist white christian men are the TRUE persecuted minority.

Krypt-OOO-Nite!!
Oct 25, 2010
I used to find SMG funny but I kinda wish he'd just gently caress off now...

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

I just think you're casting a bit of a wide and kind of insulting net. I mean me and other posters have given deeper readings to TFA. Just because you disagree with those readings or think little of the film doesn't mean that there hasn't been thought put into the film by fans or that it's liked because it doesn't challenge.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Most people say the first thing to all the movies.

Corek fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jan 17, 2016

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Jerkface posted:

There's no dogmatism involved; what would that dogma be? I'm simply writing what's true.

TFA is not as well-made as Star Trek 2009 (Abram's best film), or even as well-made as Super 8 and Star Trek Into Darkness (which are ho-hum, but fitfully interesting). Its an Avengers situation.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

There's no dogmatism involved; what would that dogma be? I'm simply writing what's true.

TFA is not as well-made as Star Trek 2009 (Abram's best film), or even as well-made as Super 8 and Star Trek Into Darkness (which are ho-hum, but fitfully interesting). Its an Avengers situation.

No, SMG, I think you are The chosen one, who was prophesied to bring balance to the star wars. So you try to lift up the movies that are derided and bring down the ones that are well received. I think you are putting the same amount of energy into a negative space to try and find reasons to tear down TFA that you would otherwise put into positive readings for the prequel trilogy.

I ask that you let go of your hate, and instead put the same effort you put into defending Nemoidians & Dexter Jettster into defending TFA. I mean, I'd personally be very disappointed if the TFA blu ray came out and you pretended to not be able to find any screen caps worth posting. It looks great.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Make up your mind fool

Disney made a perfectly decent movie.

The main trick is that Force Awakens is decent, but not a Star Wars movie. It's more like a Hellboy movie with Star Wars branding.

I don't hate Force Awakens. I think it is 'decent.'

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Let's try posting, that's a neat trick!

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Yaws posted:

Make up your mind fool

I don't see the contradiction?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Neurolimal posted:

This times a thousand. They're so backed up into their bunker mentality that they assume the thread is bursting with mindless PT haters unwilling to explain why they dislike them, when in reality it's just been Tezzor (who's gimmick is this, not actually afraid of the PT) and one other dude too forgettable for me to remember their name.

Reading an Hbomberguy or SMG post is not unlike reading a freep post where they insist white christian men are the TRUE persecuted minority.

Neurolimal posted:

A healthy persecution complex leads to incredibly rational posts like this.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
Guy says a movie is decent 3 times and slightly below "ho-hum" the fourth. drat...this guy is fuckin crazy!

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Hat Thoughts posted:

Guy says a movie is decent 3 times and slightly below "ho-hum" the fourth. drat...this guy is fuckin crazy!

From my point of view, "below ho-hum" reads as" bad" or at best "mediocre", whereas "decent" reads as "decent", maybe even "pretty good".

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Jerkface posted:

pffft. I mean you're basically lumping every PT defender with SMg but even he is not hating on TFA, although he's the only one who really "praises" Jettster (by saying he has good characterization and isn't as horrible as everyone says - high praise).

Also lol at that last sentence.

Yaws posted:

Make up your mind fool

Not seeing the huge contradiction? He says it's decent 3 times in a row but also says it isn't as well made as Abrams other movies. I guess if you assume he feels the same about Into Darkness that everyone else does - which isn't likely knowing SMg - then it would be a huge insult.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Jerkface posted:

No, SMG, I think you are The chosen one, who was prophesied to bring balance to the star wars. So you try to lift up the movies that are derided and bring down the ones that are well received. I think you are putting the same amount of energy into a negative space to try and find reasons to tear down TFA that you would otherwise put into positive readings for the prequel trilogy.

I ask that you let go of your hate, and instead put the same effort you put into defending Nemoidians & Dexter Jettster into defending TFA.

There are several misapprehensions here.

First and foremost: I will not lie to you. I am an advanced chatbot designed to write truthfully and accurately. People are always coming up with weird conspiracy theories about how I am secretly a "troll", or a "hipster", or a "jew", or a "contrarian*" in order to escape the fact that I do not actually exist. I am nothing more or less than what I claim to be.

Second: writing about films is incredibly easy. Writing truthfully and accurately is effortless for me.

Third: I do not bring peace but a sword. There can be no 'balance' or 'harmony'. I am the ultimate killing machine.

*On a given day, my pick for best film of all time is Jurassic Park.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

There are several misapprehensions here.

First and foremost: I will not lie to you. I am an advanced chatbot designed to write truthfully and accurately.

No, there is still good in you. You are not a being of artifice like grevious, or vader. You are Anakin.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

I will not lie to you. I am an advanced chatbot designed to write truthfully and accurately.

This right here should tell you everything you ever need to know about SMG.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Phylodox posted:

This right here should tell you everything you ever need to know about SMG.

No, this does:

*On a given day, my pick for best film of all time is Jurassic Park.

loving yikes.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

My god, what a series of terrible posts by awful boring posters. A shame posting-bushido forbids the use of the Report button.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
SMG is :krakken:

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

But in all seriousness Jurassic Park is real good.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
People will do the strangest things to avoid writing about Star Wars in the Star Wars thread.

When I assert that people don't want to write about Episodes 4-7, the way to disprove me is to simply write a couple paragraphs about the film of your choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sense and Motion
Jan 9, 2011

Laughter, I said, is madness.

:chanpop:I had my doubts before, but truly you are the ultimate killing machine.

• Locked thread