Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

fishmech posted:

You can't seriously be arguing that there's people who only drink coca-cola?

You people decide to obsess over soda

You people? Really? I've not obsessed about soda at all.

In fact, I was posting about people who eat only hot pockets, and YOU brought up coke and multivitamins.

I then pointed out how stupid that was. Do you read other people's posts at all? Do you even read YOUR posts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Asiina posted:

Except fat people aren't averaging them out in the long term. The problem is that they are consistently not reaching nutrition goals, so what exactly is your point?

This is the opposite of true. They're consistently overreaching their nutrition goals. If they weren't reaching the nutrition goals, they'd be skinny, not fat.

Trent posted:

You people? Really? I've not obsessed about soda at all.

In fact, I was posting about people who eat only hot pockets, and YOU brought up coke and multivitamins.

I then pointed out how stupid that was. Do you read other people's posts at all? Do you even read YOUR posts?

Hot pockets, coke, same thing. The only things that provide complete nutrition on their own is specially engineered foods, and decrying a given food for not being complete is ignorant as hell.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

fishmech posted:

In the real world, everyone should be eating some carbs. I realize certain wacky fad diets say no one should eat any carbs, but that's not valid. You also should be eating some fats, again, insisting on eating almost none is a fad diet thing.
"No carbs" is a strawman. It's not inherently terrible, but so inefficient and pointless to try and eliminate them that basically nobody should bother. Just eat fruit and vegetables and beans and I guess eat a cake once a week who cares. But fat people need to eat way less carbs and fat.

fishmech posted:

Protein is something people need fairly regularly, while many trace minerals and vitamins can be completely missed for weeks at a time without risking deficiency - the body tends to stockpile them
Many. And many you can't store.

fishmech posted:

There is no particular need to have omega 3 fatty acids in particular on a routine basis. Vitamin D is primarily low because the best way to get it, for most people, is synthesis due to sunlight. Fiber being dangerously low in "half the western low" sounds fake. And so on. Bleeding tends to lose iron, what a surprise!
Still means they got to eat that chicken.

And significant fractions of the western world are indeed deficient in a list of micronutrients. I'd wager even most obese people are missing a bunch.

fishmech posted:

The "would grandma's grandma recognize it" rule of thumb is stupid because all sorts of traditional dishes are as "horrible" for you as the modern food people like you whine about as the downfall of mankind. If you just eat stuff your grandma's grandma knows about, you'd also get quite fat!
Me? I'm fine. I'm not gonna get fat.
But the non-strawman position would be: it's easier to live healthy on food than on modern food products; on grapes than on grape drink, all in all. Sure, people knew how to make some disgusting food back in the 15th century, but we've gotten a lot better since, and the worst stuff is mostly that which would be unrecognizable to Lincoln, and most of the helpful stuff (e.g. most plants) would be recognizable to him.

Cause, as nobody sane doubts, fruit and vegetables are useful tools for being less fat, and super processed food opens venues for really providing some calorically dense, non-filling food.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

fishmech posted:

This is the opposite of true. They're consistently overreaching their nutrition goals. If they weren't reaching the nutrition goals, they'd be skinny, not fat.

Doesn't it depend on the nutrient? A food can satisfy the calorific requirements for energy production but fail to provide enough essential amino acids and other micro-nutrients, which is what I assume is the problem posters are referring to - you can reach your calorie requirements without ever balancing out your vit/min/etc.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Cingulate posted:

"No carbs" is a strawman. It's not inherently terrible, but so inefficient and pointless to try and eliminate them that basically nobody should bother. Just eat fruit and vegetables and beans and I guess eat a cake once a week who cares. But fat people need to eat way less carbs and fat.
Many. And many you can't store.
Still means they got to eat that chicken.

And significant fractions of the western world are indeed deficient in a list of micronutrients. I'd wager even most obese people are missing a bunch.
Me? I'm fine. I'm not gonna get fat.
But the non-strawman position would be: it's easier to live healthy on food than on modern food products; on grapes than on grape drink, all in all. Sure, people knew how to make some disgusting food back in the 15th century, but we've gotten a lot better since, and the worst stuff is mostly that which would be unrecognizable to Lincoln, and most of the helpful stuff (e.g. most plants) would be recognizable to him.

Cause, as nobody sane doubts, fruit and vegetables are useful tools for being less fat, and super processed food opens venues for really providing some calorically dense, non-filling food.

Incorrect. What fat people need to eat less of is everything.

And the ones you can't store tend to be ones it's hard to miss often enough to develop deficiency.

Yes most people eat chicken, I'm not sure what the relevancy is supposed to be. Deficiencies in micronutrients that cause clinical issues are rally quite rare int he developed world, outside people so poor that they're also not getting fat to begin with.

It is in no way "easier" to be "healthy" on "bizarre atavistic food" then on modern food. You're really showing your lunacy when you say "modern food products". This is strictly a delusion called up by people who think the reason people weren't fat in the past is because the food was better, when the actual reason was that people had to do a lot more physical labor on a routine basis and also couldn't afford to eat all they wanted.

Tesseraction posted:

Doesn't it depend on the nutrient? A food can satisfy the calorific requirements for energy production but fail to provide enough essential amino acids and other micro-nutrients, which is what I assume is the problem posters are referring to - you can reach your calorie requirements without ever balancing out your vit/min/etc.

When you're overeating to the point of obesity, or even consistently well overweight, it's extremely difficult to avoid that stuff. You pretty much have to intentionally miss those things, as part of some weird pickiness. But if you just sit in the McDonald's all day ordering value meals you're not gonna miss it, or if you're eating hungry man dinners, or anything like that.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Jan 17, 2016

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

fishmech posted:

Hot pockets, coke, same thing. The only things that provide complete nutrition on their own is specially engineered foods, and decrying a given food for not being complete is ignorant as hell.

You goddamn dumbass.

You started out saying only calories have value nutritionally, then introduced the brilliant coke and multivitamin diet, and now are railing against something else you just introduced all by yourself: complete food.

People really DO eat nothing but pop tarts and hot pockets (and coke probably) by the way. You keep mistaking people talking about a social problem for some kind of biological claim. We are interested in discussing a societal solution.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Trent posted:

You goddamn dumbass.

You started out saying only calories have value nutritionally, then introduced the brilliant coke and multivitamin diet, and now are railing against something else you just introduced all by yourself: complete food.

People really DO eat nothing but pop tarts and hot pockets (and coke probably) by the way. You keep mistaking people talking about a social problem for some kind of biological claim. We are interested in discussing a societal solution.

Caloric nutrients are literally nutrition, friend.

If you just eat pop tarts, hot pockets, and soda, you're actually pretty close to a balanced diet. It's also an assload of food so you'll get fat of course. Stop trying to talk about "societal solutions" when you don't know a drat thing about nutrition.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

fishmech posted:

Nobody is arguing you should only eat one thing to be healthy.

And if you count anything other than "calories" as a nutrition goal then yes, fat people (and lots of other people too) are not meeting nutrition goals.

Even if you eat some variety of food, if most of that food is lacking in one or more essential nutrients you will have too many calories while not getting enough of something else.

Does someone really have to provide a sample daily meal plan to show you how this is possible?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Asiina posted:

Nobody is arguing you should only eat one thing to be healthy.

And if you count anything other than "calories" as a nutrition goal then yes, fat people (and lots of other people too) are not meeting nutrition goals.

Even if you eat some variety of food, if most of that food is lacking in one or more essential nutrients you will have too many calories while not getting enough of something else.

Does someone really have to provide a sample daily meal plan to show you how this is possible?

Fat people are very rarely actually deficient in any nutrient you care to name. It's because they eat so so much that they aren't.

You really don't get it do you? Nearly all of the nearly hundred million obese people in this country aren't lacking any essential nutrients! And the few that are, supplying the nutrient isn't going to make them less fat! B12 and iron don't make you skinny.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

fishmech posted:

Caloric nutrients are literally nutrition, friend.

If you just eat pop tarts, hot pockets, and soda, you're actually pretty close to a balanced diet. It's also an assload of food so you'll get fat of course. Stop trying to talk about "societal solutions" when you don't know a drat thing about nutrition.

Apparently you do need an example.

Pop Tart
200 calories
Fat 5g
Carbs 38g
Protein 2g

Hot Pocket
403 Calories
Fat 20.16g
Carbs 39.19g
Protein 16.33g

Coke
140 Calories
Fat 0g
Carbs 39g
Protein 0g

Approaches vary, but let's do the 40-40-30 distribution for these, and at a 2000 calorie diet you should be getting 200g Carbs, 150g Protein, 66g Fat.

If I eat 4 pop tarts (2 packages), 2 hot pockets, and 3 cans of coke that lands me at 2029 calories.

Carbs: 347.38 (Way over)
Protein: 40.66 (Way under)
Fat: 60.32 (Under)

That's not counting any of the vitamins, minerals, and fibre that this diet is lacking.

You can have too many calories and too little macronutrients.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

OwlFancier posted:

I don't suggest you eat unprocessed food because it's inherently better for you, I suggest that a general recommendation to people struggling with overeating, to try to eat more unprocessed food unless they prepare it themselves, would be both intuitive and probably an improvement, not least because it would encouraging cooking skills and developing an understanding of the composition of the food they eat. It is harder to overeat if you have to cook it yourself and there aren't a huge number of appetizing things you can buy. While cooking fat is certainly a thing, you can't just eat it, and deep frying everything will get tiresome after a while.

Cingulate posted:

No, people who struggle with overeating should consume fewer calories. It's that simple. You're both fetishizing a past when people were actually nutritionally deficient. It doesn't matter what it looks like, or who would recognize it, or when it was invented. What matters is what is in it. For weight, the answer to that is calories.

Tesseraction posted:

Supplementation is so common in the modern food industry (especially in, hey presto lookout, "tertiary processed foods") that nutrient deficiency is extremely rare in the US. Specific DRIs are debated-fishmech is committed to a "they don't matter" position that makes him, well, fishmech about it- but folks arguing that people are deficient in particular nutrients in the US are usually doing it as part of a push in a particular intake standard controversy. Omega 3s are a good example of this. The main exception is pregnant women, largely with relation to birth defect and complication prevention-folic acid supplementation was one of the big HHS success stories in the US, e.g.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jan 17, 2016

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

fishmech posted:

Fat people are very rarely actually deficient in any nutrient you care to name. It's because they eat so so much that they aren't.

You really don't get it do you? Nearly all of the nearly hundred million obese people in this country aren't lacking any essential nutrients! And the few that are, supplying the nutrient isn't going to make them less fat! B12 and iron don't make you skinny.

The point isn't to eat more vitamins, the point is that fat people who are overeating aren't even getting everything they need when they do so because a lot of what they eat is lacking in proper nutritional value (aka empty calories). Of course fat people should consume fewer calories, but just consuming fewer calories without actually changing what they are eating to ensure that they are getting what they need within that calorie limit is a recipe for failure.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Asiina posted:

Apparently you do need an example.

Pop Tart
200 calories
Fat 5g
Carbs 38g
Protein 2g

Hot Pocket
403 Calories
Fat 20.16g
Carbs 39.19g
Protein 16.33g

Coke
140 Calories
Fat 0g
Carbs 39g
Protein 0g

Approaches vary, but let's do the 40-40-30 distribution for these, and at a 2000 calorie diet you should be getting 200g Carbs, 150g Protein, 66g Fat.

If I eat 4 pop tarts (2 packages), 2 hot pockets, and 3 cans of coke that lands me at 2029 calories.

Carbs: 347.38 (Way over)
Protein: 40.66 (Way under)
Fat: 60.32 (Under)

That's not counting any of the vitamins, minerals, and fibre that this diet is lacking.

You can have too many calories and too little macronutrients.

And this is literally all meaningless. People who get fat are not actually just eating a few things, they're eating all sorts of things, all of the time. This is why they're fat. Other people eat some or all of those things and don't get fat because they don't eat a whole bunch of them.

Not sure why you're so interested in the hypothetical guy who only eats pop tarts and hot pockets and coca cola and scrupulously consumes only 2000 calories total, and never ever eats anything else ever. You can pretty much pick any 3 items and if you only ate those things you'd similarly have issues, unless one of your 3 things is a purposely designed complete food the way a nutraloaf or Ensure is.

Asiina posted:

The point isn't to eat more vitamins, the point is that fat people who are overeating aren't even getting everything they need when they do so because a lot of what they eat is lacking in proper nutritional value (aka empty calories). Of course fat people should consume fewer calories, but just consuming fewer calories without actually changing what they are eating to ensure that they are getting what they need within that calorie limit is a recipe for failure.

Actually the vast majority of obese and overweight people ARE getting everything they need, in fact they're getting way more than they need. Empty calories aren't a real thing.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

fishmech posted:

Not sure why you're so interested in the hypothetical guy who only eats pop tarts and hot pockets and coca cola and scrupulously consumes only 2000 calories total, and never ever eats anything else ever. You can pretty much pick any 3 items and if you only ate those things you'd similarly have issues, unless one of your 3 things is a purposely designed complete food the way a nutraloaf or Ensure is.

fishmech posted:

You're the one making that argument, friend.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Asiina posted:

You're the one making that argument, friend.

And? You were trying to put up your silly little label rant to disprove what I said, and you didn't. The guy's pretty close as is if he did that, and you're the one who put int he stipulation "also he sticks to 2000 calories". And in the real world, that guy also eats other things from time to time, which tends to cover any deficiency.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

fishmech posted:

And? You were trying to put up your silly little label rant to disprove what I said, and you didn't. The guy's pretty close as is if he did that, and you're the one who put int he stipulation "also he sticks to 2000 calories". And in the real world, that guy also eats other things from time to time, which tends to cover any deficiency.

"Pretty close" meaning he's hitting less than 1/3 of his protein needs. Even if he had 6000 calories that day he wouldn't hit it.

I'm sorry that my use of math and evidence did not disprove the nonsense you are spewing based on...?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Asiina posted:

"Pretty close" meaning he's hitting less than 1/3 of his protein needs. Even if he had 6000 calories that day he wouldn't hit it.

I'm sorry that my use of math and evidence did not disprove the nonsense you are spewing based on...?

If he eats a lot of hot pockets, he's eating a lot of protein. Only your cherry picked "also it has to be 2000 calories and also he has to be eating in a certain ratio to the pop tarts and soda" shtick makes that impossible.

You're not actually using math or evidence. Eat 10 of the average hot pocket a day and you've gotten more than enough protein and you're still under 1700 calories, incidentally.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Discendo Vox posted:

No, people who struggle with overeating should consume fewer calories. It's that simple. You're both fetishizing a past when people were actually nutritionally deficient. It doesn't matter what it looks like, or who would recognize it, or when it was invented. What matters is what is in it. For weight, the answer to that is calories.

fishmech posted:

Incorrect. What fat people need to eat less of is everything.
In the real world, fat people need to eat more lettuce and chicken breast.

Yes, the perfectly spherical fat person needs to simply consume fewer calories than they expend. But the oddly-shaped real fat people need to do that. That's the hard part. And it's a lot harder to eat a calorie deficit on smarties and energy drinks than on water, fruit, nuts, and traditionally prepared dishes based on legumes, lean meat, sea weed and the eyes of an ox.

Yes, if I today decide to lose weight, my first thought is: cut down the calories! The second thought is: how do I eat less than I want while minimizing how starved I feel all the time? And the answer is lettuce.

This is not about fetishization, it's acknowledging the pragmatics of the situation in addition to the physics.

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

Asiina posted:

You don't need 150 grams of protein

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

fishmech posted:

If he eats a lot of hot pockets, he's eating a lot of protein. Only your cherry picked "also it has to be 2000 calories and also he has to be eating in a certain ratio to the pop tarts and soda" shtick makes that impossible.

You're not actually using math or evidence. Eat 10 of the average hot pocket a day and you've gotten more than enough protein and you're still under 1700 calories, incidentally.
And in the real world, you won't - by lunchtime, you'll have eaten 15 pop tarts and two burgers. The guy next to you trying to do it on real food however will have a much better chance of meeting his targets.

Sure, if you eat 1500 kcal of pop tarts and I eat 7000 kcal of avocado and 100% GMO free snake oil, you'll go lean and I'll go fat. But, neither of us will. I'll eat 3000 kcal at best and feel loving stuffed, and you'll eat 4000 kcal of poptarts and still hate your life.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Series DD Funding posted:

You don't need to be thin either. But it helps.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Cingulate posted:

In the real world, fat people need to eat more lettuce and chicken breast.

Uh, I know tons of fat people who eat a lot of lettuce and chicken breast dude. Was the last time you went to a fast food place or restaurant 1948?

Cingulate posted:

And it's a lot harder to eat a calorie deficit on smarties...

Smarties are like 15 calories a roll bub.

Cingulate posted:

And in the real world, you won't - by lunchtime, you'll have eaten 15 pop tarts and two burgers.

Most people aren't going to eat two whole boxes of pop tarts by noon. Christ, you're spending like $8 on pop tarts every day at that point if you don't eat any after lunch. Let alone burgers on top of that.

15 pop tarts is 1.7 pounds of food and it's only lunchtime.

fishmech fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jan 17, 2016

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

fishmech posted:

Uh, I know tons of fat people who eat a lot of lettuce and chicken breast dude. Was the last time you went to a fast food place or restaurant 1948?
I'm saying more. Literally eat a whole head. Eat a pound of chicken breast.

fishmech posted:

Smarties are like 15 calories a roll bub.
A contest between a guy eating lettuce and a guy eating smarties, whoever gets the most calories down in 15 minutes, I'm betting on the smarties guy.

fishmech posted:

Most people aren't going to eat two whole boxes of pop tarts by noon. Christ, you're spending like $8 on pop tarts every day at that point if you don't eat any after lunch. Let alone burgers on top of that.
$8 dollars for a single meal isn't a lot.

fishmech posted:

15 pop tarts is 1.7 pounds of food and it's only lunchtime.
1. Have you ever met a fat person? 2. Have you ever met a skinny person trying to gain weight?

I can eat a lot of cake.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Series DD Funding posted:

You don't, but you don't need to be eating 2000 calories either. No matter what system you use or what your calorie goals are, 40g of protein is really too little.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Cingulate posted:

I'm saying more. Literally eat a whole head. Eat a pound of chicken breast.
A contest between a guy eating lettuce and a guy eating smarties, whoever gets the most calories down in 15 minutes, I'm betting on the smarties guy.
$8 dollars for a single meal isn't a lot.
1. Have you ever met a fat person? 2. Have you ever met a skinny person trying to gain weight?

I can eat a lot of cake.

They're already eating a lot of lettuce. They're already eating over a pound of chicken. That's why they're so loving fat, brah.

What's that supposed to have to do with anything?

What kind of hosed up mindset do you have where 1.7 pounds of pop tarts is a single meal? You kinda sound like you've never ever had any if you think eating 15 of them before lunch is a common thing that's done. That is a LOT of them.

Yes I've met plenty of fat people. They don't literally eat 2 whole boxes of pop tarts in single day, let alone by lunch. They don't also cram down two whole burgers on top of that by lunchtime. That's how you get to be loving 600 pounds not 300 pounds.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

fishmech posted:

Find me the nutrition facts for an average hot pocket that is less than 170 calories while still having roughly 15g protein.

The one I linked which I found by googling nutrition facts for hot pockets puts you at over 4000 calories eating 10 of them.

This website lists a bunch of types of hot pockets with calorie counts I've seen as low as 290, and which will get you around 100g of protein if you eat 10 of them, which is pretty good but still low for a 2900 calorie diet.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Asiina posted:

Find me the nutrition facts for an average hot pocket that is less than 170 calories while still having roughly 15g protein.

The one I linked which I found by googling nutrition facts for hot pockets puts you at over 4000 calories eating 10 of them.

This website lists a bunch of types of hot pockets with calorie counts I've seen as low as 290, and which will get you around 100g of protein if you eat 10 of them, which is pretty good but still low for a 2900 calorie diet.

What are you talking about crazypants? The recommended daily value for protein is 56 grams for adult men, and many hot pocket varieties are around 6 grams per bar, and also 170 calories per bar - common for the breakfast ones. They of course make larger hot pockets, but they also have more protein eg some of their heartier bars are 280 calories but also 9 grams of protein. You get 60 grams of protein with around 1800 calories for those.

What bizarre fad diet told you you need 100 grams of protein?

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

fishmech posted:

They're already eating a lot of lettuce. They're already eating over a pound of chicken. That's why they're so loving fat, brah.

What kind of hosed up mindset do you have where 1.7 pounds of pop tarts is a single meal? You kinda sound like you've never ever had any if you think eating 15 of them before lunch is a common thing that's done. That is a LOT of them.

Yes I've met plenty of fat people. They don't literally eat 2 whole boxes of pop tarts in single day, let alone by lunch. They don't also cram down two whole burgers on top of that by lunchtime. That's how you get to be loving 600 pounds not 300 pounds.

Fat people don't just eat the same things as skinny people but in much larger doses, they actually eat different food. You're right that they aren't eating 15 pop tarts for breakfast just like they aren't eating multiple heads of lettuce. Even fat people can't eat that much in day or they would literally never not be eating. The only way that they are eating so many calories is if they are eating food that is rich in calories while not being very filling, most of which is missing a lot of nutrients!

The amount of food that is in 100 calories of lettuce compared to 100 calories of chicken compared to 100 calories of poptarts is a pretty big difference in the actual amount of physical matter. So no, they aren't eating comparatively as much lettuce as they are pop tarts because, as you said yourself, that is ridiculous.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Asiina posted:

Fat people don't just eat the same things as skinny people but in much larger doses, they actually eat different food. You're right that they aren't eating 15 pop tarts for breakfast just like they aren't eating multiple heads of lettuce. Even fat people can't eat that much in day or they would literally never not be eating. The only way that they are eating so many calories is if they are eating food that is rich in calories while not being very filling, most of which is missing a lot of nutrients!

The amount of food that is in 100 calories of lettuce compared to 100 calories of chicken compared to 100 calories of poptarts is a pretty big difference in the actual amount of physical matter. So no, they aren't eating comparatively as much lettuce as they are pop tarts because, as you said yourself, that is ridiculous.

This is wrong, food that is rich in calories is by definition full of nutrients. You need to get that through your thick little head, man. God only knows why people like you insist on believing carbs, fat, and protein aren't nutrients.

They also typically do not eat significantly different food from the non fat - the only thing that's changed much in the diet of average Americans from the 60s when most people were normal weight to now when most people are fat is the amount eaten! God only knows how you managed to miss that.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Asiina posted:

Lettuce is actually pretty nutrient poor. It's a bit of water and a tiny bit of fiber and that's basically it.

And IME fat people DO eat the same stuff skinny people eat, more or less. Just, like, more of it. A lot.

And the livable way of eating less calories includes eating stuff that's more filling per calorie - that is, fewer pop tarts, more chicken breast.

fishmech posted:

I eat two whole burgers at lunchtime and I'm a skinny 160lbs, give or take 10, right now.

And fat people eat a lot more than I do. Like, add the pop tarts, and I'd be a fat person.

You need to eat a lot of disgusting stuff to get to 300 lbs.

But these stories aren't really so important. What's important is that while the physics of the situation is that fat people need less calories, the psychology is that it's a lot harder to eat a deficit diet of super processed food products, than of chicken breast, lettuce, and low-fat yoghurt with artificial sweetener.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Cingulate posted:

I eat two whole burgers at lunchtime and I'm a skinny 160lbs, give or take 10, right now.

And fat people eat a lot more than I do. Like, add the pop tarts, and I'd be a fat person.

But these stories aren't really so important. What's important is that while the physics of the situation is that fat people need less calories, the psychology is that it's a lot harder to eat a deficit diet of super processed food products, than of chicken breast, lettuce, and low-fat yogurt with artificial sweetener.

Ok, good for you?

Yes if you added literally 1.7 pounds of pop tarts you'd get really fat, but most fat people eat nothing close to 15 pop tarts a day. Again, that's nearly 2 full boxes of it. It is bizarre that you think that's a reasonable amount to say that fat people are currently eating of them!

"Super processed" is a meaningless concept and cooked chicken breast is by necessity a quite processed food, and yogurt is processed to gently caress and back, especially with artificial sweetener which is like the platonic ideal of a "processed" ingredient in something.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

fishmech posted:

What are you talking about crazypants? The recommended daily value for protein is 56 grams for adult men, and many hot pocket varieties are around 6 grams per bar, and also 170 calories per bar - common for the breakfast ones. They of course make larger hot pockets, but they also have more protein eg some of their heartier bars are 280 calories but also 9 grams of protein. You get 60 grams of protein with around 1800 calories for those.

What bizarre fad diet told you you need 100 grams of protein?

56g of protein is the bare minimum required to not get sick. 10-35% is the recommended amount.

Which hot pocket varieties are 6 grams per bar and 170 calories? Please tell me their names. The absolute lowest one I found was 290 calories.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
A lot of body builders go off of a roughly 1g of protein per pound of body weight, or a rough 40/30/30 carb fat protein ratio. Either one tells your average 2kcal consuming male to eat about 150g of protein a day. Who knows what theory that is grounded, but speaking anecdotally it feels like 90g of protein makes me feel a lot fuller than 90g of sugar, which is like what? A large soda at McDonald's or something?

Speaking statistically have the ratio of macronutrient consumption shifted over the years? We obviously eat more calories than we used to but are all those extra calories the "empty" sugar calories being claimed by some in this thread?
e: fu autocorrect

rscott fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jan 17, 2016

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

fishmech posted:

This is wrong, food that is rich in calories is by definition full of nutrients. You need to get that through your thick little head, man. God only knows why people like you insist on believing carbs, fat, and protein aren't nutrients.

Cingulate posted:

And IME fat people DO eat the same stuff skinny people eat, more or less. Just, like, more of it. A lot.

And the livable way of eating less calories includes eating stuff that's more filling per calorie - that is, fewer pop tarts, more chicken breast.

Yes fat people eat more than skinny people, but not proportionally more.

If you eat a salad then a fat person doesn't eat 5 salads.

If you eat two burgers, a fat person doesn't eat 6 burgers.

It's not possible to eat less calorie dense food in such quantity that you gain weight because there aren't that many hours in the day.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Asiina posted:

56g of protein is the bare minimum required to not get sick.

That is absolutely not true. Maybe for some guy who's doing a lot of strenuous work or exercise, but not the average man.

Asiina posted:

Which hot pocket varieties are 6 grams per bar and 170 calories? Please tell me their names. The absolute lowest one I found was 290 calories.

The ham and cheese breakfast bars are. Are you sure you aren't misreading the nutrition facts? It's common for a box of 4 bars to be labeled as containing 2 servings.

rscott posted:

Speaking statistically have the ratio of macronutrient consumption shifted over the years? We obviously eat more calories than we used to but are all those extra calories the "empty" sugar calories being claimed by some in this thread?
e: fu autocorrect

Sugars peaked in the 90s during the height of the "low fat" craze. Per capita consumption of caloric sweeteners has been steadily declining since 1998/1999 and has gotten back to mid-80s levels, and is on track to settle back to the 70s levels.

And your point is? Would you be happy if tomorrow morning coca cola crumbled a vitamin pill into every can of coke?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

Yet, astonishingly, simply yelling "eat fewer calories" at people does not seem to be having much of an effect, regardless of its veracity. So I would suggest that there may be some issue with that as an approach to weight loss?

Whether it would work or not is irrelevant if nobody is willing to follow it.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

OwlFancier posted:

Yet, astonishingly, simply yelling "eat fewer calories" at people does not seem to be having much of an effect, regardless of its veracity. So I would suggest that there may be some issue with that as an approach to weight loss?

Whether it would work or not is irrelevant if nobody is willing to follow it.

The thing is the current messaging is not mostly "eat less calories" but all sorts of conflicting things about "cut down on food x" where another campaign says "cut down on food type y" and then the horde of for profit diet plan ads and books.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

fishmech posted:

That is absolutely not true. Maybe for some guy who's doing a lot of strenuous work or exercise, but not the average man.

Look up with Recommended Dietary Allowance (RDA) means, since that's where you're getting your 56g number from, and it's the minimum amount wherein 97-98% of average people will not have nutrient deficiencies. It is the minimum that you should have to make sure your needs are being met and is on the lower end of the 10-35% of caloric intake that the NIH and FDA say is adequate.

fishmech posted:

And your point is? Would you be happy if tomorrow morning coca cola crumbled a vitamin pill into every can of coke?

Presence of calories does not equal rich in protein, carbs, and fat. Even if they did your stupid vitamin pill idea which you've brought up several times, it won't add any of those. Are you sure you know what nutrients are? Are you actually reading the label?

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Most obese people are not nutritionally deficient in anything except the nutrients in which people of normal weight are commonly deficient (like vitamin D, vitamin B6, iron in women). Deficiencies vary quite a bit by things like race and ethnicity, or by income, but not by BMI. I truly have no idea why this is an argument.

People are fat, ultimately, because they overeat. Their dietary choices influence overeating. This is not only through the lack of satiety from a given food, but also by certain foods that actually promote increased hunger. There are, therefore, foods that will make it more difficult to stick to a diet that allows one to maintain weight. It's a misnomer to call these "unhealthy foods," but they are still foods that should be limited in the context of a diet because it is nearly impossible to have a healthy diet that involves a substantial amount of them.

Many of these foods fall into the very arbitrary and very loosely defined category of "processed foods," so even when people use that poo poo garbage term, they might be making a reasonable point. There are also foods which make it very difficult to overeat, and many of these fall into the very arbitrary and very loosely defined category of "whole foods," so even when people use that poo poo garbage term, they might be making a reasonable point.

Thank you for your time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

fishmech posted:

The thing is the current messaging is not mostly "eat less calories" but all sorts of conflicting things about "cut down on food x" where another campaign says "cut down on food type y" and then the horde of for profit diet plan ads and books.

Which is why education in nutrition should be emphasized, because saying "eat less calories" is just as useless as saying to stop eating food X without explaining why.

If you eat the same crap you've always eaten but just fewer calories of it, you may lose weight for a time but you'll be starving and will give up.

If you cut out bread or meat or whatever from your diet but still consume too many calories from other things then you won't succeed either.

Both approaches are based out of ignorance and feed into the ignorance of people who want help, and both will ultimately fail.

• Locked thread