Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Olivil posted:

Should I pick Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate if I play alone? I know nobody else with a 3DS.

I put like 90 hours into MH3U + a little over 100 in MH4U and it was almost all single player (also the game has online so it doesn't matter if you don't know anyone - plus there's probably lots of people in the MH thread that will play with you if you ask)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Yea I almost exclusively play MH4U solo because I mostly play either with lovely WiFi or on a plane and it's fun. The online makes it better but it's still a great game.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Olivil posted:

Should I pick Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate if I play alone? I know nobody else with a 3DS.

Yeah the single player is actually quite long. Usually single player missions give a lot more money and caravan points compared to multiplayer missions.

However do jump over to multiplayer from time to time. You can play them by yourself. But some unlock features, like making your kitchen better or have your shops sell more stuff. And there is an easy way to tell which missions those are. There are some really easy multiplayer missions that unlock some really good stuff.

When you are choosing missions look at the tags. Most missions have 3 tags, one highlighted and 2 darkened tags. This just tells you the type of mission: kill, capture, or harvest. However some missions have a 4th tag. This means that missions unlocks something when you beat it.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
I've put about 40 hours into MH4 and never played online. It's very fun if you like those games and I never knew that about quest unlocks :qq:

The Gentlemieu
Jan 1, 2013
Soiled Meat

irlZaphod posted:

I've finally gotten to Day 6 in Devil Survivor: Overclocked, and it seems like it has a pretty big difficulty spike. I got wiped really quickly during the first battle. I suppose I just need to grind a little (particularly for stronger abilities), and maybe do some Fusion. The problem is, most of the demons I have access to now either don't have much better stats than my current demons, or have a ton of weaknesses. I fused a Lorelei with Anti-Ice since that was the only thing she was weak to, but she still goes down like a chump really easily.

In smt games base level is added into the damage calculations. Leveling up demons with low base levels is a waste of time unless you're trying to get an ability. Fuse for the highest base level regardless of stats to improve you're survivability.

Sodium Chloride
Jan 1, 2008

The Gentlemieu posted:

In smt games base level is added into the damage calculations.

This is not true in Devil Survivor.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Sodium Chloride posted:

This is not true in Devil Survivor.

What IS true is that levels get significantly more difficult to gain the more of them a demon has already gained, and fusing a new demon resets that counter, so your new demons will level up faster. Use your compendium to bring out demons specifically for fusion in order to negate weaknesses, and you'll go further.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Olivil posted:

Sure, I've put in hundreds of hours and pretty sure I've never played with anyone else in person. The online is pretty solid, too.

Shwqa posted:

Can't you get lightning charms by that point? And there is definitely some good food for lightning resist on that map.

My complaint about the series is how hard the games tries to hid or lie about the game mechanics.

Thanks, I'll check. I'm bad about using items beyond healing/mana stuff in RPGs. It's looking like I'm going to have to. I grinned from 25 to 29 and it's still the same story.

enojy fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Jan 17, 2016

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

enojy posted:

Thanks, I'll check. I'm bad about using items beyond healing/mana stuff in RPGs. It's looking like I'm going to have to. I grinned from 25 to 29 and it's still the same story.

Oh yeah you need to break that habit ASAP to play EO. The game pulls no punches and you're expected to fight dirty and use all available resources in order to win; hoarding gets you nowhere

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Help Im Alive posted:

I put like 90 hours into MH3U + a little over 100 in MH4U and it was almost all single player (also the game has online so it doesn't matter if you don't know anyone - plus there's probably lots of people in the MH thread that will play with you if you ask)

I really need to get back into 4U. I kinda stalled out on Pink Rathian.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Previous page, but the criticism I've heard for FF Explorers is that despite it being a MonHun-like game, the total amount of content is actually rather slim in comparison to Monster Hunter where you basically only stop playing when the next one comes out.

I do want to give the game a spin though.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

irlZaphod posted:

I've finally gotten to Day 6 in Devil Survivor: Overclocked, and it seems like it has a pretty big difficulty spike. I got wiped really quickly during the first battle. I suppose I just need to grind a little (particularly for stronger abilities), and maybe do some Fusion. The problem is, most of the demons I have access to now either don't have much better stats than my current demons, or have a ton of weaknesses. I fused a Lorelei with Anti-Ice since that was the only thing she was weak to, but she still goes down like a chump really easily.

you really got to get in the habit of fusing immunities and resistances onto your demons. and yeah sadly enough you gotta grind a few times in that game

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

goferchan posted:

Oh yeah you need to break that habit ASAP to play EO. The game pulls no punches and you're expected to fight dirty and use all available resources in order to win; hoarding gets you nowhere

Pretty much. There's really no reason to hoard in the series. There's no such thing as limited items, so you can just buy more stuff later.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Has this been posted?

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

enojy posted:

Grinding will not really help in EO, especially against bosses. Each of the bosses in EO4 has a specific gimmick, and usually the guest they give you is well-equipped to exploit it.

All of the Hollow Queen's nastiest attacks can be blocked by binding her head and/or arms, and leg bind makes things unable to dodge.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Has this been posted?

Another nail in the coffin of physical media :smug:

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Davincie posted:

you really got to get in the habit of fusing immunities and resistances onto your demons. and yeah sadly enough you gotta grind a few times in that game
Yeah it's just difficult when they have more than 1 weakness.

One thing is that I've hit the point when the -dyne spells are becoming available, I've got a few demons now with a couple of those (one of the Free Battles had an item which gave me Agidyne too). At least the grinding is generally less about getting levels, and more about cracking skills.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

If there's been a big difficulty spike maybe you've went down one of the harder routes. I haven't played Overclocked but in the last couple of days of the original on DS I was really just barely scraping by in every boss fight. (I went the Naoya path on my first playthrough)

I'm not very good at SRPGs in general though

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I don't really know what route I'm on, I haven't looked anything up about the game. I tend to do as many of the events during the day as I can. A bunch of people Keisuke and Mari have died though and I did get challenged by Naoya at the end of Day 5 (which I failed).

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

The route lock isn't til the end of day 6. Also, the later you go in game, the less weaknesses you'll see on demons you can fuse, I think, so it won't be hard to start fusing demons with no real weaknesses!

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Has this been posted?

Wasn't that special edition just the same game and a few download codes included?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
don't forget the art book

are you gonna get stressed out over an art book

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Store Leader,

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

flyboi posted:

Wasn't that special edition just the same game and a few download codes included?

It's the only way to get the artbook.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I found another way to get the artbook

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Has a human ever looked at a video game artbook more than once

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Help Im Alive posted:

Has a human ever looked at a video game artbook more than once

Presumably ones that buy videogame artbooks outside of LEs.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I bought the Atelier arland trilogy art book and it's very nice and I've looked at it more than once

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets
Speaking of sucking at games, I am having the worst time with xenoblade. I don't know how the battle system is so hard for me, but I find any battle with more than one or two enemies is a big struggle. I'm on the tentacle hand boss on the way to colony 6 and I can hardly make a dent.

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012
If I remember right, most of the mechon enemies can only be hurt by Shulk first. You need to stun them with Shulk and then topple them for the rest of the party to do damage.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Motto posted:

Presumably ones that buy videogame artbooks outside of LEs.

i haven't but i have a lain artbook i've looked at multiple times so i think the people who like videogames as much as i like lain might look at them multiple times

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

CowboyAndy posted:

If I remember right, most of the mechon enemies can only be hurt by Shulk first. You need to stun them with Shulk and then topple them for the rest of the party to do damage.

Or use Monado Aura so they can just wail on it themselved :v:.

Houle
Oct 21, 2010
The artbook from the game or the anime? Or is this a completely different version since the game seems to be a different continuity of the anime.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

CowboyAndy posted:

Ether skills and anti-Mechon weapons can help you light up Mechon without Shulk.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Here's a side-by-side comparison of Hyrule Warriors running on Wii U, New 3DS and OG 3DS - the results will not surprise you!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVRC6RrwFQE

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
it looks like poo poo on the new 3ds too :(

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Musou games always look like poo poo.

New 3DS version has a stable framerate and more enemies plus stereo 3D. I'm just glad they're not ignoring the new hardware like most games will.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Inazuma Eleven is hard to get used to, I'm not used to doing much with the stylus in games.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Wow, that's basically unplayable on old 3DS. Thanks for saving me the money, Nintendo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Has this been posted?

Currently selling for around $250 on ebay... I ordered mine from Bestbuy on the 12th, early enough that they still didn't have a picture of it on their website. They better not gently caress me over :argh: