Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

CommonShore posted:

Some friends of mine taught their baby a basic sign language. :shrug:

They better make youtube vids of that in action. That's amazing :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

BioEnchanted posted:

They better make youtube vids of that in action. That's amazing :3:

It's pretty past-tense now. The kid is like 3 or 4.

But it was just basic nouns with simple gestures. The only one I remember was "banana," which was just rubbing one index finger on the other (kinda like peeling a banana, right?) And whenever they'd say "banana" to him, or give him "banana," they'd use the gesture really clearly. It didn't take him long for him to start responding to such questions as "are you hungry?" with the "banana" gesture, and then scarfing down the bananas because he got exactly what he wanted.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

RFC2324 posted:

I really want to say that doc was loving with you, but i have known some with REALLY bad ideas about medicine outside their field.

oldpainless is a gimmick poster.

EDIT: Well, not a gimmick so much as always sarcastic.

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

CommonShore posted:

It's pretty past-tense now. The kid is like 3 or 4.

But it was just basic nouns with simple gestures. The only one I remember was "banana," which was just rubbing one index finger on the other (kinda like peeling a banana, right?) And whenever they'd say "banana" to him, or give him "banana," they'd use the gesture really clearly. It didn't take him long for him to start responding to such questions as "are you hungry?" with the "banana" gesture, and then scarfing down the bananas because he got exactly what he wanted.

:kimchi: Eeee. I like the mental image.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsYk0cdqWnQ
I thought this was just a joke.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

When my first child was born the hospital made us watch a video about not shaking a baby that featured brain dead babies that had been shook. With the nurse in the room and everything I turned to my wife and said "know what all those kids have in common? None of them are crying." I think my wife got a dirtier look from the nurse than I did because she laughed.

FAROOQ
Aug 20, 2014

by Smythe
You're actually proud of that.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!

Grem posted:

When my first child was born the hospital made us watch a video about not shaking a baby that featured brain dead babies that had been shook. With the nurse in the room and everything I turned to my wife and said "know what all those kids have in common? None of them are crying." I think my wife got a dirtier look from the nurse than I did because she laughed.

:eyepop:

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

Cry about it. Or just get shook!

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I34cljQQ7YA

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Grem posted:

:boom:

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Grem posted:

What do they do if you say "gently caress off" and refuse to watch their dumbass videos? Keep the baby until you do? Somehow I don't think those videos will keep some idiot from shaking their baby.

In other news my husband has always wanted to make a shaken baby alarm clock-- it keeps crying until you shake it hard enough. I feel like Spencer's would happily sell it.

Scathach has a new favorite as of 01:10 on Jan 18, 2016

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Scathach posted:

What do they do if you say "gently caress off" and refuse to watch their dumbass videos? Keep the baby until you do? Somehow I don't think those videos will keep some idiot from shaking their baby.

Telling people they shouldn't shake their babies isn't going to be 100% effective? Better not try at all, I guess.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
They make you watch a video about SIDS and the proper ways to lay a baby down to sleep before jury duty here. It's meant as a way to ensure that people from all walks of life will see it, but testimonials from grieving parents are a little hard to take when it's 730 in the morning and you have an exciting day of jury duty selection ahead of you.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

"I am so terrified of my foes that I will become the very unlawful demons I despise."

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Wanamingo posted:

Telling people they shouldn't shake their babies isn't going to be 100% effective? Better not try at all, I guess.

Yeah, honestly paint can shakers are way more reliable than parents truth be told.

budgieinspector
Mar 24, 2006

According to my research,
these would appear to be
Budgerigars.

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

If someone typed like that without a shred of irony they'd probably be the first off my friends list

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

i really love this mentality of "omg people need to be more aware of this!" and when someone asks them they absolutely are unable to respond with good resources and just "go research yourself you scum"

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Crow Jane posted:

They make you watch a video about SIDS and the proper ways to lay a baby down to sleep before jury duty here. It's meant as a way to ensure that people from all walks of life will see it, but testimonials from grieving parents are a little hard to take when it's 730 in the morning and you have an exciting day of jury duty selection ahead of you.

Before jury duty? Christ. I feel as if people who are stupid/violent aren't exactly going to listen, and I'd be a bit insulted. Then again I was a upset that the ER asked me multiple times if I was in an abusive relationship and needed help when I went in for a life-threatening bacterial infection.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:
As long as they don't comment on my things I quite like having crazies in my feed.

When this guy sent me a friend request a couple of years ago, his timeline was full of videos of him singing about gemstones having feelings. Him and his friends all type out really long and wanky updates about pagan gods semi-regularly.

I didn't bother to click "see more" on this one but the gibberish comment made me laugh

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

:psyduck:

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

Simply Simon posted:

I saw this in a book, in Germany. It's very real and international even. I am a Chemist and it was very hard to politely ask the book's owner why she had bought this absurd garbage.

Because I googled it, I'll share: Vitamin B17 isn't a thing, it's a pseudoscience name for...Laetrile, which released cyanide in the presence of a certain enzyme. This is supposed to kill cancer cells because they are said to contain the enzyme in higher concentrations. This is apparently wrong (I am no biochemist, so going of Wikipedia here), and you will literally poison yourself if you, like she proposes, ingest it for month.

Laetrile is the pseudoscience treatment that killed Steve McQueen. He stopped using conventional medicine for his cancer and went to Mexico instead to be treated with laetrile and coffee enemas, and he died.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Dogfish posted:

Laetrile is the pseudoscience treatment that killed Steve McQueen. He stopped using conventional medicine for his cancer and went to Mexico instead to be treated with coffee enemas,

Now they call those Steve mccreams

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

Grem posted:

How long after your baby was born did they show you brain-dead infants?

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

cash crab posted:

You know, the more you seem shocked at our rear end in a top hat tactics, the more I want to move to Canada. I think I'm only a few hours to the border anyway.

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

I love that his name is Todd

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

Scathach posted:

You know, the more you seem shocked at our rear end in a top hat tactics, the more I want to move to Canada. I think I'm only a few hours to the border anyway.

:canada:

No, but seriously: is this a thing they do to Americans? Like, you just spent thousands of dollars to do what amounts to pushing a potroast through a Cheerio and they're going to traumatize you by showing you limp babies? A warm coat is worth the immigration.

jorty
May 11, 2015

grump_dog.jpg
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/WWEHOFerSunny/status/688916138743459840

I also found this while trying to find a rant from her a while ago http://uproxx.com/prowrestling/tammy-sytch-responds-rumors-wwe-upset/ :smith:

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

cash crab posted:

The day after, same day as discharge. Basically they said "we have to watch this video before we discharge you" then rolled a tv into the room and started the video.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

cash crab posted:

:canada:

No, but seriously: is this a thing they do to Americans? Like, you just spent thousands of dollars to do what amounts to pushing a potroast through a Cheerio and they're going to traumatize you by showing you limp babies? A warm coat is worth the immigration.

You are legit forgetting our PSAs on TV. Shameful.

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

Picnic Princess posted:

You are legit forgetting our PSAs on TV. Shameful.

Yeah eh? face scalded off because of a cooking oil spill? That accident will hopefully never happen to me because of that commercial. Thanks Canadian government!

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009

Grem posted:

The day after, same day as discharge. Basically they said "we have to watch this video before we discharge you" then rolled a tv into the room and started the video.

I can't imagine showing a new parent a video of brain-damaged babies. Hooooooly poo poo. I guess it's probably more effective than the pamphlets we give out on healthy parenting, which I imagine end up unread in a drawer like 95% of the world's pamphlets, but...hoooooooly poo poo.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

Grem posted:

I'm an rear end in a top hat: I would push the TV away and leave. This whole treating parents like they're infants thing is bullshit. lovely parents won't listen to a movie anyway, so it's a useless, insulting tactic and pointless to boot.

I'm like an hour from the border, but I'm also a poor artist. I'd love to change countries if I was able. Our country is losing its poo poo.

Scathach has a new favorite as of 06:03 on Jan 18, 2016

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

When things get too legal, you can always call upon the Harvey Birdman of the Attorney At Law World

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

Scathach posted:

I'm an rear end in a top hat: I would push the TV away and leave. This whole treating parents like they're infants thing is bullshit. lovely parents won't listen to a movie anyway, so it's a useless, insulting tactic and pointless to boot.

I'm like an hour from the border, but I'm also a poor artist. I'd love to change countries if I was able. Our country is losing its poo poo.

Well, maybe a bit of context will help, this was a military hospital. Treating military members like they're infants is probably the smart way to go.

SpliffClavin
Jul 31, 2007

oh geez rick
TYPE AMEN

At what point as a Christian do you not feel obligated to type AMEN everytime someone on your feed shares one of these?

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!
Looks like Jesus got lit up with a machine gun. Amen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

AMEN